Central Arkansas

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Central Arkansas

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:25 pm

I know this is putting the cart before the horse, but I just watched UCA against Texas Tech.....Eastern Washington is not the only home game we have to worry about! These guys are fast, have two pretty good left handed QB's, and lots of physical and fast receivers. Tech beat them by 7 but only because they were able to outscore them.

2024 Resume dominance

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Central Arkansas

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:51 pm

I'm with you Helena72. I watched CAU play Texas Tech and came away thinking "this is no fluke, these guys are the real deal".
My personal top games to watch this weekend are the CATS vs. Black Hills, EWU vs Washington (UW could be in trouble making Peterson' debut uncomfortable), Central Arkansas vs. Tenn Martin (T-M is Sagarin ranked in the range of Portland State) and Arkansas State vs. Tennessee. UT is, of course, a bonafide FBS (beat up Utah State Saturday) and could tell us something about who we played in Jonesboro.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:36 pm

They gave TT a good game and I'm not trying to minimize their effort, but TT had 15 penalties to five for Central Ark. and two TOs (one led directly to a short TD) to none for Central Ark. Central Ark average about 4.2 per play to about 7.0 for TT. Cent. Ark. had three excellent TD drives in the game and a couple other nice drives that got FGs. They didn't screw up and make drives that ended on downs or missed FGs or turnovers. That's always a solid effort.

If MSU commits 15 penalties and is minus 2 in TOs, it'll likely lose to any decent team out there.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:27 pm

Did you see the "guns" on their receivers, running backs, LB's and DB's? They looked like NFL players!

2024 Resume dominance

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:02 pm

Hopefully it snows!

Punters are people too!!

RustonCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by RustonCAT » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Taylor reed UCA's Qb signed with Memphis out of HS over Arkansas state for PLay time. 1 year later after he got destroyed as a true freshman lost the job to a transfer. He then transfer to U of Arkansas and then to UCA. He's good but your D should eat them

gobears14
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by gobears14 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:20 pm

We've gotten close against Ole Miss and Colorado the past few years, but that was the closest we've gotten from actually knocking one of them off. Also the most people we've ever played in front of. I was really proud of our guys. Interested to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:34 pm

RustonCAT wrote:Taylor reed UCA's Qb signed with Memphis out of HS over Arkansas state for PLay time. 1 year later after he got destroyed as a true freshman lost the job to a transfer. He then transfer to U of Arkansas and then to UCA. He's good but your D should eat them
Where did the other QB #15, the starter, come from, I thought he ran well, and is quite physical.

2024 Resume dominance

RustonCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by RustonCAT » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:18 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
RustonCAT wrote:Taylor reed UCA's Qb signed with Memphis out of HS over Arkansas state for PLay time. 1 year later after he got destroyed as a true freshman lost the job to a transfer. He then transfer to U of Arkansas and then to UCA. He's good but your D should eat them
Where did the other QB #15, the starter, come from, I thought he ran well, and is quite physical.
Not sure my brother graduated with Taylor reed. He is a coaches son and a good Qb that should be FBS but made a bad decision in choosing Memphis. I remember Arkansas state sacking the kid like 7 times or something ridiculous like that.

He chose Memphis over Arkansas state for play time. Arky st had a sophomore starter at the time and no way reed was beating him out.

UCA plays fast. They have a decent coach but smallish fan base. They are in a state dominated by 1 team but the second is surging pretty quickly(A-state). Not much room for 3 teams yet.

gobears14
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by gobears14 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:24 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
#15 is Reed. Ryan Howard was the other QB that came in late in the game. He is a senior that replaced our injured QB midway through last year and threw for 18 TDs to 4 INTs. He has a better deep ball but doesn't have the mobility that Reed has. We could use a little two-QB system this year.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:13 pm

gobears14 wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
#15 is Reed. Ryan Howard was the other QB that came in late in the game. He is a senior that replaced our injured QB midway through last year and threw for 18 TDs to 4 INTs. He has a better deep ball but doesn't have the mobility that Reed has. We could use a little two-QB system this year.
Thanks...I got the two mixed up....but when Howard came in he hit a long pass right away against Tech. I was impressed with Reed. Nice touch, strong arm, and deceptive speed.

2024 Resume dominance

gobears14
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by gobears14 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:39 pm

We came back to beat UT Martin 26-24 today after trailing 21-7 at the half. Our secondary didn't have a good game but hey we found a way to win. Looking forward to next weekend!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:21 pm

I like Central Arkansas already:

http://www.ucafans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Rich K wrote:I like Central Arkansas already:

http://www.ucafans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Same here. I really enjoyed their scouting report for us. Heck, from the sound of it I may enroll and walk on. 67 year old, SLOW, WR.....

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:04 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Central Arkansas just may be one of the top 3 opponents on the schedule. I'd tie them with the Griz at this point, based on what I've seen.

1) EWU
2) Arky State
3) Montana
3) Central Arkansas

The 'Cats are 0-1 in these 4 games, and most likely need to win at least one of them, and then run the table in the other games, to get a home game in the playoffs.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:38 pm

So I noticed a couple quick things. CA is pass happy. QB looks like he is a good decision maker. Don't see much of a run-game in that video. They struggled a couple times in the red zone having to kick field goals. Ran two reverses that didnt work. Hopefully we can give them more defensive pressure up front - looks like our DB's are going to get a workout.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:39 pm

Hawks86 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
They don't look too complicated on offense, but they will require solid DE and LB play. I think we can win this one, but I also think it will be more of a grind for us than last week without a doubt!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:43 pm

PapaG wrote:Central Arkansas just may be one of the top 3 opponents on the schedule. I'd tie them with the Griz at this point, based on what I've seen.

1) EWU
2) Arky State
3) Montana
3) Central Arkansas

The 'Cats are 0-1 in these 4 games, and most likely need to win at least one of them, and then run the table in the other games, to get a home game in the playoffs.
I completely agree that this is one of our toughest games on our schedule! We will have to play our best football to win.

Hating the griz since 02.

GRZSLAYER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by GRZSLAYER » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:11 pm

At the beginning of the season I thought this game with Central would be a huge key to being a playoff team. My opinion of that still hasn't changed. With the first two games in the books here is what I hope to see Saturday.

1. The O-line & D-line set the tone of the game. Those 9 up front are key to the Cats being a playoff team this season and so far I haven't seen them dominate. With the O-line I want to see 5 road graders up front just paving the way for a 100 yards out of Knight. Plus an improvement in their pass blocking so the QB can have time to get the ball down the field.

2. D-line needs a true pass rusher to step up. Will Coe or Marino do it? Time to find out. Plus I would like to see Thomas start along side Sheridan. Don't know why, just a wish. Dees has been good, but Thomas seems like he's about ready to break out.

3. Defenders making solo tackles in the open field. Even against BHSU I felt they missed too many open field tackles one on one.

Overall I want to see an attitude with this team start to take shape as the games go on. Up until this point it has been the pre season. Now it counts.

Dakota Prukop -MSU Quarterback
Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver
I needed a change for one, but for two, I HAD to go to Coach Haucks rival school.