Black Hills State Scouting Report

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Black Hills State Scouting Report

Post by Bozcat003 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:21 pm

I've seen BWahlberg over on egriz do scouting reports for their upcoming games for quite some time and they always lead to good discussions. Gives us something to do over the week :lol: . These might not quite be as good as his quite yet, but I hope with some time I can get them there.

Anyway, after a disappointing loss last week, it will be exciting to see what kind of energy MSU brings out this week. Its our first home game, its under the lights, so I would expect MSU to come out with a lot of excitement. This will be Black Hills State's first game of the season, so I would expect their to be first game jitters all around for them. In 2013 both MSU and BHSU didn't have the records they were looking for (7-5; 3-8 respectively), and both will be looking to get on track early.

Overview

Black Hills State runs an offense that is somewhat similar to what Montana State runs. They run a no huddle offense with quick developing plays. I would expect that Montana State is using this game as a type of glorified scrimmage before they play some tougher opponents. MSU will probably use those players with minor injuries (Salanoa, Johnson, Marino) sparingly this game. I know many people don't like seeing DII teams on our schedule but it should provide Montana State with a good rest, and hopefully get our players very healthy. Black Hills state was not very good last year as they struggled to get to a 3-8 record. However, this is their big game this year and I know their players will come out excited to play their first game and have nothing to lose so they could give us some struggles in the early going.

Black Hills State Players to Watch

QB Ward Anderson - Senior - Anderson will be entering his 3rd year as the starter so he brings a lot of experience to the table. In 2013 Anderson had a 57.5% completion rate, averaged throwing 255 yards a game, threw 18 TD's, with 17 Ints. Anderson is also a duel threat QB. In 2013 he was also the teams leading rusher as he rushed 121 times for 479 yards for 11 TD's. That right there tells me a lot about the offense. They are a passing offense that must use read options which explains why the QB is the leading rusher.

TE Luke Whalen - Senior - The 6-4 Tight End was the leading receiver for the yellow jackets last season. Last season his 57 catches for 725 yards was significantly higher than anyone else on the team. He provides the QB with a big target, which is perfect for a quick hitting offense which the yellow jackets appear to have. Just a fun fact. . . after enrolling at BHSU Whalen joined the military and served overseas, Afghanistan being one of them =D^

K Tyler Parr - Sophmore - The Montana native was one of the best kickers in all of D2 last year. He went 11-12 on FG's (long of 44 yards), and 31-36 on extra points. He may be one of the more solid kickers we will face all year

LB Trent Boner - Senior - Boner lead BHSU in tackles last season with 137 (12.5 a game). Although he isn't the biggest guy we will face (6-0 203lbs), he has a knack for always being around the ball.

DB Brian Baldwin - Senior - Baldwin posted great numbers last year at DB. His 62 tackles were among the best on the team, but the real impressive part was his 3 interceptions. Of those 3 interceptions he took 2 of them back for TD's. He is one of the better DB's in the RMAC.

Montana State Players to Watch

DE Garrett Marino - Freshman - We all knew it was coming. It's not a bobcat football thread without mentioning Marino :lol: . I only expect him to play a little during this game, but I expect him to be dominant. He has a hurt should and ankle, so I hope by the end of the half we wont have to see him out there anymore, but I expect him and Ward Anderson to meet a few times.

DB Robert Marshall - Senior - As of right now he is the teams leading tackler with 12 tackles. I expect him to have a big game again. Ward Anderson tends to throw a few passes that he shouldn't so getting an interception or two is entirely possible.

QB Dakota Prukop - Sophmore - I expect to see Dakota go off this game. His speed will really stick out against BHSU and I think we will continue to see constant improvement in his passing. This game should help Prukop gain more confidence and get ready for a difficult schedule ahead.

Justin Paige - Freshman - He is our leading receiver right now. . . with 1 catch. . . but he got 55 yards on the deal and I would expect he will be targeted a few more times this game. It will be exciting to see his speed again this week.

Keys to a Bobcat Victory:

1. Containing the QB - if we struggle at containing their Quarterback then we could have a rough go at it for a while. The QB at Arkansas State shredded us a few times for big gains. I hope we see a drastic improvement in that this week. Limiting their QB to being one dimensional will make the defense have a much easier day, and should give us a few more turnovers.

2. Consistent offensive line play - Against Arkansas State I saw moments when our line looked great, but then moments where we struggled. If our offense can open up holes like I know they can, and if they can keep Prukop from being blindsided like he was last week, then I think MSU will be in a great situation to win.

3. Improved run game - Last week our offense was way to one dimensional. We need a good run game otherwise Prukop will have to win this game alone. With an improved run game it will make the job way easier for everyone on offense.

------------------------------------

Overall, I would expect Montana State to dominate in every aspect of the game. Our speed and size will be just to much, and I fully expect this game to be over by halftime. However, it will be a lot of fun to see some new faces out there if this game goes as planned. True freshman Mitchell Herbert, Bryce Alley, Justin Paige and Tyrone Fa'anono should all get quite a bit of playing time, and guys like Nick LaSane, Khari Garcia, Jayshawn Gates, and maybe even Quinn McQueary may get out there and contribute.

I think Montana State will get some big plays and points will roll in. That, with some BHSU turnovers should give MSU an easy win.

Final Score:
Montana State: 56
Black Hills State: 10

Go Cats

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Black Hills State Scouting Report

Post by wbtfg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:28 pm

LB Trent Boner:

-isn't the biggest guy we will face,
-has a knack for always being around the ball.

:lol:

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:52 pm

wbtfg wrote:LB Trent Boner:

-isn't the biggest guy we will face,
-has a knack for always being around the ball.

:lol:
:lol: :lol: someone caught on hahaha

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:18 pm

Nice report, BW does a nice job for the other team but you have a real good start here.

Glas to see that this is a no huddle spread type of offense, it seem like those are the most problematic to us.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:32 pm

Bozcat003 wrote: 1. Containing the QB - if we struggle at containing their Quarterback then we could have a rough go at it for a while. The QB at Arkansas State shredded us a few times for big gains. I hope we see a drastic improvement in that this week. Limiting their QB to being one dimensional will make the defense have a much easier day, and should give us a few more turnovers.
With all these athletic, mobile quarterbacks that we're seeing, I'm hoping it gets us ready to contain and control all the good qb's we have in the BS. Vernon Adams, Saffron, and Johnson are always a challenge. Hopefully, our defense is able to learn from the mistakes they made against Knighten and control Black Hills QB and the rest of the Big Sky's QB's this season.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:12 pm

Great job Bozcat003. We need Prukop to have a great game and get the offense in gear for the rest of the year. We should run past BHS.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:35 pm

IF MSU takes control of this game, how much time do you think Prukop spends on the field given this would be his second college game?

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:IF MSU takes control of this game, how much time do you think Prukop spends on the field given this would be his second college game?
I'd say at least three quarters. He needs the reps.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:27 am

catatac wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:IF MSU takes control of this game, how much time do you think Prukop spends on the field given this would be his second college game?
I'd say at least three quarters. He needs the reps.
+1

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:42 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote: 1. Containing the QB - if we struggle at containing their Quarterback then we could have a rough go at it for a while. The QB at Arkansas State shredded us a few times for big gains. I hope we see a drastic improvement in that this week. Limiting their QB to being one dimensional will make the defense have a much easier day, and should give us a few more turnovers.
With all these athletic, mobile quarterbacks that we're seeing, I'm hoping it gets us ready to contain and control all the good qb's we have in the BS. Vernon Adams, Saffron, and Johnson are always a challenge. Hopefully, our defense is able to learn from the mistakes they made against Knighten and control Black Hills QB and the rest of the Big Sky's QB's this season.
Is BHSUs QB a Gatorade player of the year/Parade All American from down south? Sure hope not. :wink: