First game take-aways

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KalCat76
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: First game take-aways

Post by KalCat76 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:19 am

Any success the Cats have this season will depend on how much our OL improves. QB needs more time to throw and holes to run through, WR's need time to get open, RB's need holes to run, and defense needs to be able stay off field. The OL has 2 weeks to get it together before the opponents get tougher, hope they do or it will be a short season. My money is on Coach Mac and this bunch of young, talented players.

RustonCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by RustonCAT » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:29 am

mslacatfan wrote:
loggy wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:Catsrback76-

Last Thought- At this point.... I am scared to death to play EWU.... That game could get reaaaaally ugly. Everyone keeps saying Ark St is the fastest, most athletic team we will face... I disagree.
Seriously? There is no way EWU is as fast as Ark St. Especially on defense.

Yeah, I agree about the defense. I would take ewu offense over ark state though
Not even close. Did you not see how fast #23,#9 and #34 were on Saturday? Arkansas state was their own worst enemy with drops and bad conversions on 4th. They should have won by 50. Let's remember the cats caught a huge break to score 7 That defense was very fast.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:35 am

RustonCAT wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
loggy wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:Catsrback76-

Last Thought- At this point.... I am scared to death to play EWU.... That game could get reaaaaally ugly. Everyone keeps saying Ark St is the fastest, most athletic team we will face... I disagree.
Seriously? There is no way EWU is as fast as Ark St. Especially on defense.

Yeah, I agree about the defense. I would take ewu offense over ark state though
Not even close. Did you not see how fast #23,#9 and #34 were on Saturday? Arkansas state was their own worst enemy with drops and bad conversions on 4th. They should have won by 50. Let's remember the cats caught a huge break to score 7 That defense was very fast.
I would have to agree AR St has a much better run game, and the stable of backs and recievers is far deeper, EWU has a couple that could fit this their group but ASU has a whole team of them, also I think their QB is better than VA (I didn't think so before the game)

As far a defense goes, EWU isn't even in the same discussion.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Though credited with the quote above, I did not write it. I am not afraid to take on EWU though I respect their team. I think we have a great chance to win that game.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:47 pm

catsrback76 wrote:Though credited with the quote above, I did not write it. I am not afraid to take on EWU though I respect their team. I think we have a great chance to win that game.
Agreed. Just the fact that MSU forced three punts, forced ASU to attempt three FGs, and made two stops on downs against Arkansas State is good reason to be positive about EWU or any team. Granted ASU made some miscues to cause some of that, but not all of it. Also worth noting that ASU resorted to a gadget play to get their offense going again.

MSU also had a blown block by Johnson that would've easily allowed Prukop to get a first down and probably another 10 yards.
Flotkoetter dropped a first down pass that would've put MSU in easy field goal range or possibly let to a TD.
Griebel dropped a crucial first down pass after ASU went up 16-10 that would've given MSU a first down in ASU territory.
Both holding calls took away first downs and probably took points off the board. Both teams just missed on some big plays.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Pronghorn cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Pronghorn cat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Just watched the replay of the game on ESPN3. Couple things.
We just missed on a few offensive things or we could of had big gains.
Flot did drop a pass that could of been a first down inside the 10.
Shawn Jon misses a big block to help Prokup get the first down.
The holding call on Flot on the first down run by Prokup I didn't see it.
I think they called the wrong number. It looked like Kalfel had the chuck of jersey.
They were very close together on the play.

Prokup just needs a little more time with his WRs and they will be good.
Timing is everything.

Defense came to play after a rough start.
We had no film on these guys and we just needed to make the adjustments.
Kudos to the coaches for that.

Don't through these kids or team under the bus yet. Watch the fame again if you can and don't listen to the speakers.
They were all A state and didn't really know what they were taking about most of the time.
This team will be good. Give them a couple of weeks to gel.
Lots of new and different moving parts.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:06 pm

catsrback76 wrote:Marshall I would give a B+ as the D on the whole represented well. I still don't like the big cushions off the receivers but that is my preference. I would rather have the DB's contest the space earlier rather than later but respect the fact that only 1 TD was a passing one. Granted 2 others were there but Ark helped us by simply dropping the passes.
That's just the way Jamie Marshall thinks you're supposed to play. Against a track team like Arkansas State, when it arguably makes sense to do so, he'll play his corners like safeties and concede the first 7-10 yards freely. Against a team like Black Hills state, who doesn't get a lot of production out of their wideouts, he'll play his corners like safeties and concede the first 7-10 yards freely. He doesn't consider his own personnel--Flowers is usually at his best when he's up in guys' faces and all over them, and I can't imagine an athletic 6'2" dropdown wouldn't thrive in similar situations. He doesn't consider the opponent. He doesn't consider down and distance--first and ten, third and three, or third and a mile are all the same to him. He's just convinced that soft coverage is the only way to play defense, all the time.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:30 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:Marshall I would give a B+ as the D on the whole represented well. I still don't like the big cushions off the receivers but that is my preference. I would rather have the DB's contest the space earlier rather than later but respect the fact that only 1 TD was a passing one. Granted 2 others were there but Ark helped us by simply dropping the passes.
That's just the way Jamie Marshall thinks you're supposed to play. Against a track team like Arkansas State, when it arguably makes sense to do so, he'll play his corners like safeties and concede the first 7-10 yards freely. Against a team like Black Hills state, who doesn't get a lot of production out of their wideouts, he'll play his corners like safeties and concede the first 7-10 yards freely. He doesn't consider his own personnel--Flowers is usually at his best when he's up in guys' faces and all over them, and I can't imagine an athletic 6'2" dropdown wouldn't thrive in similar situations. He doesn't consider the opponent. He doesn't consider down and distance--first and ten, third and three, or third and a mile are all the same to him. He's just convinced that soft coverage is the only way to play defense, all the time.
I see you are disgruntled. I mean really cannot think that.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:38 pm

Pronghorn cat wrote:Just watched the replay of the game on ESPN3. Couple things.
We just missed on a few offensive things or we could of had big gains.
Flot did drop a pass that could of been a first down inside the 10.
Shawn Jon misses a big block to help Prokup get the first down.
The holding call on Flot on the first down run by Prokup I didn't see it.
I think they called the wrong number. It looked like Kalfel had the chuck of jersey.
They were very close together on the play.

Prokup just needs a little more time with his WRs and they will be good.
Timing is everything.

Defense came to play after a rough start.
We had no film on these guys and we just needed to make the adjustments.
Kudos to the coaches for that.

Don't through these kids or team under the bus yet. Watch the fame again if you can and don't listen to the speakers.
They were all A state and didn't really know what they were taking about most of the time.
This team will be good. Give them a couple of weeks to gel.
Lots of new and different moving parts.
Better straighten things out before Central Arkansas.....Watch the replay of the Central Arkansas/Texas tech game......impressive!

2024 Resume dominance

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Common Cat wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
I see you are disgruntled. I mean really cannot think that.
I can and I agree. BB&G pretty much nailed Marshall's defensive philosophy. It works great when have pressure up front, but against teams like A State - our D gets lit up like a Christmas tree. The other thing that BB&G hit spot-on was his predictability. Marshall will always load the box and always give cushion in the secondary. It makes it pretty easy to game plan against the Cats when that's the case. It's frustrating from a fan perspective.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:26 pm

My first game take-away...we're not very good. :cry:

RustonCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by RustonCAT » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:01 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:My first game take-away...we're not very good. :cry:
Not a fair assessment. I will tell you I've seen Ark st beat teams by 83. Did ASU leave points on the field Saturday yes. 7 min into the game it should have been 21-0... But what I did like is ASU now moves to week 2 with film and shows mistakes..something you don't get out of a 83-0 win.

You were exactly what ASU thought you would be physical and disciplined. They might even help you with EWU bc you have now seen a team faster than them.

You guys need to be more positive. The odds were stacked against you. From now on the odds are in your favor.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:09 pm

RustonCAT wrote:
Not a fair assessment. I will tell you I've seen Ark st beat teams by 83. Did ASU leave points on the field Saturday yes. 7 min into the game it should have been 21-0... But what I did like is ASU now moves to week 2 with film and shows mistakes..something you don't get out of a 83-0 win.

You were exactly what ASU thought you would be physical and disciplined. They might even help you with EWU bc you have now seen a team faster than them.

You guys need to be more positive. The odds were stacked against you. From now on the odds are in your favor.
We have another school from your state in two weeks. I'll wait until after that game and I don't like the thought of going to California two weeks in a row toward the end of the season.

Cats_Win_Again
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Cats_Win_Again » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:22 pm

Hey Belgrade !!! We all are welcome to opinions ------but-----
As per your quote of "wisdom" below your last post ----------> [-( I believe I will choose to avoid you. Go Cats !!!! 8)

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:43 pm

Did anybody else notice our left tackle, not block the defensive end who tee-d off on our QB? Not only did he not block the defensive end, he didn't touch anybody. I know our guys' names but don't intend to call them out. I just wonder why nobody blocked that guy. Was there supposed to be a running back helping out? Not sure there was anybody else in the back field. Did the QB miss the read? Maybe our up-tempo is too fast for ourselves. So many reads and interpretations that need to be in unison. I hope these guys get things sorted out. We have some talented and competitive boys, but still need to develop some skills and chemistry.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:08 am

Walk-on wrote:Did anybody else notice our left tackle, not block the defensive end who tee-d off on our QB? Not only did he not block the defensive end, he didn't touch anybody. I know our guys' names but don't intend to call them out. I just wonder why nobody blocked that guy. Was there supposed to be a running back helping out? Not sure there was anybody else in the back field. Did the QB miss the read? Maybe our up-tempo is too fast for ourselves. So many reads and interpretations that need to be in unison. I hope these guys get things sorted out. We have some talented and competitive boys, but still need to develop some skills and chemistry.
Clearly a "missed assignment"! :penalty: I thought the assignment of blockers was to block unblocked players from the other team...obviously, I never played the game!!! :D

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:27 am

It was more about the WRs than the OL or anything else. Kalfell didn't get open once. He and Flotkoetter combined for one catch for seven yards. Wow. Griebel did alright. For the amount of time he played Brekke was our best receiver despite not being a WR.
We NEED Roderick and Paige to start, badly. We should look at Brekke in the slot.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:34 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:It was more about the WRs than the OL or anything else. Kalfell didn't get open once. He and Flotkoetter combined for one catch for seven yards. Wow. Griebel did alright. For the amount of time he played Brekke was our best receiver despite not being a WR.
We NEED Roderick and Paige to start, badly. We should look at Brekke in the slot.

I know it's only the first game, and maybe the wr group will turn it around. But I was shocked Ash did not bring in a transfer or dropdown for that position over the summer.

The cats really need Flotkoetter and Roderick to step up.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:27 am

mslacatfan wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:It was more about the WRs than the OL or anything else. Kalfell didn't get open once. He and Flotkoetter combined for one catch for seven yards. Wow. Griebel did alright. For the amount of time he played Brekke was our best receiver despite not being a WR.

I know it's only the first game, and maybe the wr group will turn it around. But I was shocked Ash did not bring in a transfer or dropdown for that position over the summer.

The cats really need Flotkoetter and Roderick to step up.
Or step down.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:42 am

The secondary of Arkansas State was and is their strength going into the season. I think we'll be fine once we begin playing our level of completion. I hope our staff takes to heart what their kids said after the game reference our obvious tendencies both on offense and defense. If we get lit up by Central Arkansas, then it's going to be a long year.