MSU- ArkState Game thread...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: MSU- ArkState Game thread...

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:15 pm

Arkansas State beats Wyoming by at least 20 points.

Punters are people too!!

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:34 pm

They beat Idaho last year by 20. I think Wyoming is a better team than Idaho was last year.

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:43 pm

Tri-Cities Cat wrote:Anyone know what happened to Salanoa?
He suffered a shoulder injury. There is no diagnosis, but he did not return to the game.

Shawn Johnson got his bell rung. He was taken out as a precaution. He will undergo concussion tests before returning. Ash said it could be nothing or it could be major. He didn't know when we talked.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:49 pm

How did Marino look? Saw him a few times out there looking good, but I missed a few I am sure. Initial thoughts??

astaterocks
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by astaterocks » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:16 pm

MSU is a good team. Just first game mistakes and a new QB....same things ASU was going through. They are all correctible mistakes and if you go back and watch the replay like I just did I was surprised by the athleticism on the MSU squad. It wasn't so easy to see it from the endzone seats. MSU defense is very very good and made great adjustments, they just got tired later in the second half. Hey don't feel bad...we have Tennessee, Miami U. and Utah State next! Murderous. Tennessee is our one money game. Miami and Utah St. are home and home deals. I really do like your team. Lots of positives to take away from this game.

astaterocks
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by astaterocks » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:23 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:How did Marino look? Saw him a few times out there looking good, but I missed a few I am sure. Initial thoughts??
As an A-State fan...I will say Marino is a stud. I can see why he was a 4 star recruit. No reason why he couldn't be the best defensive player in FCS by the end of the season. He caused us problems all night long.

JumpinJoe
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by JumpinJoe » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:29 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:How did Marino look? Saw him a few times out there looking good, but I missed a few I am sure. Initial thoughts??
He's out of shape right now but he was in the backfield all game. He forced Freddi out of the pocket on more than one occasion. He will be a handful this year and I don't think there is an offensive line you will play that will stop him

Doc3kgt
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Doc3kgt » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:38 pm

Astate / jumpinjoe, thanks for the great sideline info. I must say that the team you have over there in Jonesboro is the real deal. Very impressed with your athleticism and team speed. I'll be rooting for you guys during the season. Good luck!

RustonCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by RustonCAT » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:42 pm

Keep your heads up Cat Fans...you played tough and stayed motivated for a long time. The score stayed close but you could tell your sideline knew they were being beat. And they kept playing! They never quit. Nor should you guys! Support your team!

We gave you guys accurate reports. We knew Arkansas state would play fast. We knew Arkansas state recruits very speedy players. They recruit this speed well even though they change coaches like most people change clothes.

You guys are very physical. montana states Dline is the best Arkansas state might see this year. No doubt.

Also arkansas states RB that started game left after first quarter with bruised ribs..I believe that's what slowed them down in 2nd quarter. They played 2 Freshmen for most of the game at RB.

arkstfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by arkstfan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:54 am

To be fair, Knighten's high school team only punted twice because his high school team doesn't punt.
http://grantland.com/features/grantland ... ver-punts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last year Pulaski Academy had a 21-0 lead over Cabot before Cabot ran a play from scrimmage. As I recall it Cabot kicked off, PA drove down and scored, onside kickoff recovered then scored again, another onside kickoff recovered it and drove for their third TD.

Funny that Grantland in mentioning high school coaches becoming successful college coaches cited former AState coaches Freeze and Malzahn.

gobears14
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by gobears14 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:13 am

arkstfan wrote:To be fair, Knighten's high school team only punted twice because his high school team doesn't punt.
http://grantland.com/features/grantland ... ver-punts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last year Pulaski Academy had a 21-0 lead over Cabot before Cabot ran a play from scrimmage. As I recall it Cabot kicked off, PA drove down and scored, onside kickoff recovered then scored again, another onside kickoff recovered it and drove for their third TD.

Funny that Grantland in mentioning high school coaches becoming successful college coaches cited former AState coaches Freeze and Malzahn.
Can we borrow some of your points for our game in a few weeks? :D

Thought MSU played a tough game for the most part. Not going to be easy for us to go up there and get the W.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:22 am

gobears14 wrote:
arkstfan wrote:To be fair, Knighten's high school team only punted twice because his high school team doesn't punt.

Can we borrow some of your points for our game in a few weeks? :D

Thought MSU played a tough game for the most part. Not going to be easy for us to go up there and get the W.
Personally I though UCA played great yesterday, I'm afraid you guys might whoop us.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:52 am

Ar St was the fastest team we have played in I dont know how long, but the best? I would have to give that title to the other MSU, we were completly outclassed in that game IMO. The KSU team was good too, be we had a lot of self inflicted damage and their coach kind of ran it up on us.

I dont think we will see any FCS team with the team speed on both O and D that Ar St has. EWU would not compete well with them either, EWU has a mediocer defense and would struggle with ASU speedy defense. We wo;; be OK, there are problems to fix but it is all fixable.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:02 am

cats2506 wrote:Ar St was the fastest team we have played in I dont know how long, but the best? I would have to give that title to the other MSU, we were completly outclassed in that game IMO. The KSU team was good too, be we had a lot of self inflicted damage and their coach kind of ran it up on us.

I dont think we will see any FCS team with the team speed on both O and D that Ar St has. EWU would not compete well with them either, EWU has a mediocer defense and would struggle with ASU speedy defense. We wo;; be OK, there are problems to fix but it is all fixable.
I believed we could run with these guys all the way up to the first snap. It was so incredibly obvious that we were in trouble right off the bat. The better team won. It was the exact opposite in Dallas last year when it was very obvious from the beginning that we matched up well and had a chance.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:38 am

I was hoping our defense would start the game with a 3 and out, but that wasn't the 3 and out I was thinking.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:54 am

Rich K wrote:I was hoping our defense would start the game with a 3 and out, but that wasn't the 3 and out I was thinking.
:lol:
:(

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:52 pm

Is this what it's like to have a nice conversation with another teams posters about a game that doesn't get derailed by smack and trolls? It's kind of nice. I enjoyed everything about A State. Including the posters. Thanks for everything guys

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:27 pm

A-State fans have been nothing but class. Let's be sure extend the same warm welcome to the central Arkansas fans making the long trip to bozeman.

JumpinJoe
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by JumpinJoe » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:36 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:Is this what it's like to have a nice conversation with another teams posters about a game that doesn't get derailed by smack and trolls? It's kind of nice. I enjoyed everything about A State. Including the posters. Thanks for everything guys
You could have read our board at any point and noticed that 99% of the people on there knew MSU was amazingly talented and we were right. You guys are, watch the first 2.5 quarters and tell me that's not one of the best defenses in FCS. Depth caught up with you like it does with us when we play teams like Mizzou, Nebraska and Auburn. We've been about as low as you could possibly get so no matter how good we might be in the future the die hard fans still know how annoying it is to see a bunch of trolling. I think we have a pretty good team and we are so young it's gonna be a fun next couple years. Best of luck to you guys, I certainly will enjoy checking your scores each week!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:41 pm

JumpinJoe wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:Is this what it's like to have a nice conversation with another teams posters about a game that doesn't get derailed by smack and trolls? It's kind of nice. I enjoyed everything about A State. Including the posters. Thanks for everything guys
You could have read our board at any point and noticed that 99% of the people on there knew MSU was amazingly talented and we were right. You guys are, watch the first 2.5 quarters and tell me that's not one of the best defenses in FCS. Depth caught up with you like it does with us when we play teams like Mizzou, Nebraska and Auburn. We've been about as low as you could possibly get so no matter how good we might be in the future the die hard fans still know how annoying it is to see a bunch of trolling. I think we have a pretty good team and we are so young it's gonna be a fun next couple years. Best of luck to you guys, I certainly will enjoy checking your scores each week!
You have an incredible group of kids on your team. I seriously doubt we have a kid less than 4.4 on this years team and to put it all in proper perspective, this is what we all face:
http://www.gridironstuds.com/blog/the-f ... dash-ever/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope your kids continue what is being built in Jonesboro. The Sun Belt is now the best non-Big Five Conference and if you can continue to draw the elite athlete, your program will surpass that other school in your state that won't play you.