MSU- ArkState Game thread...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU- ArkState Game thread...

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Dakota Prukop played a good game, better than expected and he showed some of the speed and brilliance the coaches anointed him for. He also threw a couple of ducks and the INT will give him video tape to watch for the coming games so he doesn't make the same mistakes. He is going to be a great one!

WrongleyAccused
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by WrongleyAccused » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:30 pm

catsrback76 wrote:Dakota Prukop played a good game, better than expected and he showed some of the speed and brilliance the coaches anointed him for. He also threw a couple of ducks and the INT will give him video tape to watch for the coming games so he doesn't make the same mistakes. He is going to be a great one!
Speaking of, did anyone else notice #48 Q. Lee knee him in the head after he tackled him on that last long run he had...that was called back again for holding? Kind of suprised we didn't see PF there.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Looking at coach's challenge most of us had the Cats losing by 10+ points. Yet we are all butt hurt we lost a play-up game on the road with a brand new qb? This game could have been completely different if those two holding calls don't get flagged. Not saying a W but could have been closer. We play the 2nd half without our best weapon offensively and people are talking about jumping ship...we'll please do.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:32 pm

WrongleyAccused wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:Dakota Prukop played a good game, better than expected and he showed some of the speed and brilliance the coaches anointed him for. He also threw a couple of ducks and the INT will give him video tape to watch for the coming games so he doesn't make the same mistakes. He is going to be a great one!
Speaking of, did anyone else notice #48 Q. Lee knee him in the head after he tackled him on that last long run he had...that was called back again for holding? Kind of suprised we didn't see PF there.

I thought the game was well refereed on the whole, but I did note 0 holding calls on them, and 3 holding calls on our big runs. Surprise, surprise, surprise. :roll:

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:When you don't have all Americans playing anymore and yet people tell you "oh we will be better at all the skill positions compared to last year, and we will be faster" are you crazy? The point was made tonight boys and you can continue to debate it or blame the coaches, but last year's team would have kicked the crap out of this team.
ASU would beat SMU by 50 and last years team didn't beat SMU so I find your logic a bit flawed.
Are you kidding me!? Do you honestly think we are better than last year, this game should have sewed that up for ya, honestly!? Did you watch the game?
Way way way too early to tell if MSU is better or worse than last year. Let's at least play one or two games against FCS competition before making that conclusion, shall we?

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:When you don't have all Americans playing anymore and yet people tell you "oh we will be better at all the skill positions compared to last year, and we will be faster" are you crazy? The point was made tonight boys and you can continue to debate it or blame the coaches, but last year's team would have kicked the crap out of this team.
ASU would beat SMU by 50 and last years team didn't beat SMU so I find your logic a bit flawed.
Are you kidding me!? Do you honestly think we are better than last year, this game should have sewed that up for ya, honestly!? Did you watch the game?
I didn't say we are better than last year. I said your example that last years team would have beat ASU is stupid. Nothing from last year would lead me to believe they could beat ASU. Does zero defensive stops against EWU last year make you think that? Gimme a break and give this team a chance.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:41 pm

I love this "EWU could beat this team" BS.....Ark St won an FBS conference championship (sun belt I know, but still FBS) and a bowl game last year and returned A TON! EWU is a great team but to say they would win a bowl game in FBS is irrational.

You all think FBS is a cake walk if you dominate the big sky conference why don't you ask Idaho how that's working out for them.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:44 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
I didn't say we are better than last year. I said your example that last years team would have beat ASU is stupid. Nothing from last year would lead me to believe they could beat ASU. Does zero defensive stops against EWU last year make you think that? Gimme a break and give this team a chance.
Oh I will be there win or loss, but the defense had nothing to do with this loss. The only touchdown we scored was due to a fluke play. We had the ball three times inside the 35 and we got zero. Zero points, that had nothing to do with the defense at all!! Keep thinking that the defense was the problem "give me a break".

If your left, you aren’t right.

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatOninetails » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:46 pm

Nobody calling for Ash's head or a new qb? My Ipad says I'm on bobcat nation but I'm confused.

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Oh I will be there win or loss, but the defense had nothing to do with this loss. The only touchdown we scored was due to a fluke play. We had the ball three times inside the 35 and we got zero. Zero points, that had nothing to do with the defense at all!! Keep thinking that the defense was the problem "give me a break".
Again, I didn't say the d lost it. It was ugly all around. My one and only point is that I saw nothing, zero, from last years team that would make me think they could have beat ASU. This was a very talented team.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:04 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Again, I didn't say the d lost it. It was ugly all around. My one and only point is that I saw nothing, zero, from last years team that would make me think they could have beat ASU. This was a very talented team.
You don't think last years team would beat ASU? Again did you watch the game? Last years team against SMU would have beat ASU tonight.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
You don't think last years team would beat ASU? Again did you watch the game? Last years team against SMU would have beat ASU tonight.
I guess we flat disagree then. Yes I watched the game. Yes it wasn't pretty. Here is my point, again:
ASU>SMU. And last years team couldn't beat SMU. Sooo....

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:16 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
I guess we flat disagree then. Yes I watched the game. Yes it wasn't pretty. Here is my point, again:
Well if it helps I agree with you LTown :lol:

This team is better than last years. ASU was a lot better than I thought they would've been. MSU is a playoff team. Will be shocked if we aren't at the end of the season.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:

This team is better than last years. ASU was a lot better than I thought they would've been. MSU is a playoff team. Will be shocked if we aren't at the end of the season.
Anyone that watched five minutes of this game should've been able to see that the gap in speed and athleticism was more than just slightly noticeable and I say that knowing MSU has as much talent as its had in many years.

ASU was the best team MSU has played since the Kansas State game when they had Josh Freeman at QB. Utah was good, but they had a miserable QB that really drug the rest of the team down.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:

The defense is definitely better than last year.
The jury is still out on the offense. I was mostly disappointed in the lack of wide receiver catches. Griebel looked good other than his drop, but the other starters need to show better than that. Otherwise start Paige.
But it's only one game, plenty of time to work out the kinks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

astaterocks
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by astaterocks » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:32 pm

First of all...I was surprised to see as many fans as I did from Montana. I got to talk to quite a few of them. Nothing for MSU to be ashamed of tonight. It went about what I thought it would go like for awhile. I think the HUNH offense and depth became a factor in the second half which allowed us to break the game open a bit. Weather couldn't have been much better for August in Arkansas. Prukop is the real deal. He needs to work on long passing but that is correctable. He is a beast of an athlete and has great speed. MSU defensive line is solid. They gave us fits all night and we couldn't get much of a push against them at all for the most part. Fake punt was a nice call. Completely had our defense fooled. I will be following MSU all season to see how the team progresses.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:43 pm

Arkansas St. is an excellent team an super fast. Speed kills for sure. I thought we did excellent considering where we are. Dakota has been great in practice thru fall camp. But, when you get into a real game,especially like Ark. St. the speed of the game is completely different. Being his first game, wow, it had to be a huge adjustment. As the game went on he looked more relaxed. I will bet in the next game he will be 100% improved. I feel he is going to be a force. I really don't think we did that bad considering it was a first game where there are always mistakes and young players getting a baptism. Also Arkansas St. had a new head coach and it was very difficult to scout them on film. All in all, I think we are a playoff caliber team.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:45 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:

Anyone that watched five minutes of this game should've been able to see that the gap in speed and athleticism was more than just slightly noticeable and I say that knowing MSU has as much talent as its had in many years.

ASU was the best team MSU has played since the Kansas State game when they had Josh Freeman at QB. Utah was good, but they had a miserable QB that really drug the rest of the team down.
Oh I would agree Tom, before the game started I told the people watching at the house this is the best team we've played since KSU. The point I'm trying to make is, it doesn't matter in the FCS how athletic or fast the coaches or fans think their skilled positions players are, it matters how they execute. Going into this season everybody is saying how much faster and quicker we are on offense and defense, but that doesn't mean squat when you're out of position. If this was last years team we would have been close to winning this game or won it.The WRs didn't get open, but it didn't matter because the plays were called for five yard pass plays, Cramsey was keeping the game simple for the new guys. That sounds not like a big sky team, instead it sounds like a NAIA team. Shawn didn't make it through one game, Tai didn't make it through one game, and Cramsey called it like he was secure to take a loss. Something has got to change, NDSU lost something like 16 seniors or more, plus a head coach, and they kicked the living ****** out of Iowa St. Their QB is slow and unathletic, and Crockett is above average speed but not fast, why can't MSU figure it out?

Tri-Cities Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Tri-Cities Cat » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Anyone know what happened to Salanoa?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:00 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:

Walking up and down the sidelines during pre-game and early on in the 1st, there was absolutely no doubt the athleticism difference in this game. Arkansas State was, BY FAR, the most physically talented, quickest, fastest team Montana State has played in the four seasons I've covered them. It's not even close. I don't know who would beat if last year's team played next year's team played SMU in 1983 blah blah, but Arkansas State is the best team Montana State has played since I began covering them in 2011.

Fredi Knighten is a Big 5 conference talent. If he's not 5-10, he's playing in the SEC or the ACC. One of the guys in the press box told me that his high school team punted TWICE his entire senior year! He had 81 total touchdowns and was a first-team Parade All-America in high school. Guz Malzahn got him to come to ASU before jumping ship to Auburn.