Minter-Fletcher-Person

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Minter-Fletcher-Person

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Fletcher had five tackles. Minter has three so far. Not sure if Person is playing or not.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Minter-Fletcher-Person

Post by autocat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:36 am

In the last two weeks I've seen Person play center, guard and tackle for the Rams. Yes, center last week!

The guy is fundamental sound, I think he is going to be in the NFL several more years.

Thanks to coach Mac for developing the o-line, Person is a great product of great coaching, we have some excellent assistant coaches at MSU!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:25 pm

autocat wrote:In the last two weeks I've seen Person play center, guard and tackle for the Rams. Yes, center last week!

The guy is fundamental sound, I think he is going to be in the NFL several more years.

Thanks to coach Mac for developing the o-line, Person is a great product of great coaching, we have some excellent assistant coaches at MSU!
Thanks autocat. The NFL needs to come up with a stat for the offensive linemen to show their production. A stat man that watches to see which linemen throw key blocks or something and track it like tackles.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Minter-Fletcher-Person

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:48 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
autocat wrote:In the last two weeks I've seen Person play center, guard and tackle for the Rams. Yes, center last week!

Thanks autocat. The NFL needs to come up with a stat for the offensive linemen to show their production. A stat man that watches to see which linemen throw key blocks or something and track it like tackles.
Knockdowns... Ala Steven Foster style

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:57 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Knockdowns are flashy and easily understood, but they're not even close to a definitive measure of offensive line performance. It's very rare that a knockdown is not an effective block, but knockdowns are a small percentage of all effective blocks. If there's a run over right guard, and the right guard drives his guy back five yards, that's clearly an effective block whether or not the defender stays on his feet.

There are statistics like "blocking efficiency" and "success rate," but they're unofficial and not as intuitive. I believe success rate is a proprietary stat for a website that doesn't cover college. A lot of teams track blocking efficiency, but rarely release the numbers to the public. Sometimes they show up on the player bios.

Anyway, as to whether Person is playing, he got all 71 snaps in last week's game against Green Bay. He started at left guard, then shifted to left tackle and then center. Generally, that would mean they're looking at him seriously for a backup spot. NFL teams usually keep 9 linemen and dress 7 or 8 on game day, which means that the backups need to be able to play more than one position. Reviews of Person have generally been that his pass protection is good and that his run blocking isn't. I'm not sure if that means he played his way out of serious consideration or not.
Last edited by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:00 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Knockdowns are flashy and easily understood, but they're not even close to a definitive measure of offensive line performance. It's very rare that a knockdown is not an effective block, but knockdowns are a small percentage of all effective blocks. If there's a run over right guard, and the right guard drives his guy back five yards, that's clearly an effective block whether or not the defender stays on his feet.

There are statistics like "blocking efficiency" and "success rate," but they're unofficial and not as intuitive. I believe success rate is a proprietary stat for a website that doesn't cover college. A lot of teams track blocking efficiency, but rarely release the numbers to the public. Sometimes they show up on the player bios.
I don't disagree with you. I just like the knockdowns... A lot

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:02 pm

There is a company called Pro Football Focus that grades every player in every game. For a small subscription you can get access for a season.
It's somewhat subjective because only the team really knows what the player is supposed to do, and if he did what they asked him to do. But it's a very good grade to look at. Well worth the $30, or whatever it is.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

DCC2MSU
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by DCC2MSU » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:05 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Fletcher had five tackles. Minter has three so far. Not sure if Person is playing or not.
Yep, Mike is getting a lot of time.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 57b94.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It’s doubtful that Rams offensive lineman Mike Person had any trouble falling asleep Saturday night.

That afternoon, in the Rams’ 21-7 loss to the visiting Green Bay Packers, Person was on the field for all 71 of the team’s offensive snaps. And he accomplished the iron-man effort while seeing action at tackle, guard and center.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:53 pm

Looked up three Cowboys 53-man projections and no Minter on any of them.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:11 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:Looked up three Cowboys 53-man projections and no Minter on any of them.

Looks like they have 6 DT's right now. He needs another good game Thur. night. Hope he at least makes the practice squad.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

DicTater
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by DicTater » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:47 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:Looked up three Cowboys 53-man projections and no Minter on any of them.

Looks like they have 6 DT's right now. He needs another good game Thur. night. Hope he at least makes the practice squad.
Were they written before Minter was on the team?

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:58 pm

DicTater wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Today's Cowboy roster shows 6 DT's including Zack + a 7 year veteran on the "active-nonfootball" injury list...whatever that is?

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:04 pm

DicTater wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

No. Yesterday.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
DicTater wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Today's Cowboy roster shows 6 DT's including Zack + a 7 year veteran on the "active-nonfootball" injury list...whatever that is?
Amobi Okoye who was drafted with the 10th pick in the 2007 draft by the Texans. He had to basically quit football because of a "one in a million" disease in his autoimmune system. It's syndrome called anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis which is so rare that he was the first adult male to suffer from it. He apparently lost a gap of his memory of a 145 day span because of it too. He's been working back to get in NFL form but probably won't play to start the season.

Minter has a good shot to make the team because of their needs and how bad the Dallas D is. The funny thing is, though, a lot of teams like to sit players in the final preseason game they really like and want to keep on the practice squad. They do this to keep other team's eyes off of them so they aren't as inclined don't swoop in and sign them after they're assigned to the practice squad. So if Minter has a good shot to make the 53, he'll be playing a lot. If Dallas just wants to keep him on the practice squad, you probably won't be seeing much of him.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Dallas has 6 DTs, but Henry Melton is the only one (besides Minter) that is good. Nick Hayden is almost certainly safe because he started last year and is projected to start again, but ideally he would be experienced depth. Terrell McClain is safe, too. He has 32 games played for four teams in his three-year career, and hasn't had a start since his rookie year in Carolina, but from what I've read, the Cowboys really like him.

The other two guys after that are both undrafted rookies like Minter was last year. One of them is under 270 and played end in college. It's likely he would still be playing end, or maybe even linebacker, if he hadn't run a bad 40 at his pro day. The other, Davon Coleman, was the guy fans and bloggers were writing about before Minter came in and actually did some stuff.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:00 pm

I had one of the worst experiences of my life yesterday......I went to a Dallas website and listened to 4 Dallas radio rubes discussing who would probably make it to the final roster........When they finally talked about defensive tackles they never even mentioned his name.......the bastards!

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:59 am

A projection that came out yesterday says Mike Person will make the Rams as a backup LT.

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:17 pm

I hope its a good sign that 79 is standing at the sideline, helmet on, ready to go.........

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Very early. Zach has seen a bit of time so far, not much. Fletcher has 3 tackles so far.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Minter with a nice stop at the line on a 3rd and short, forcing a punt.