Michael Foster is BACK!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

Re: Michael Foster is BACK!

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:36 am

I guess what this comes down to (and something we all struggle with to some degree) is the question of whether there is any value in sharing a negative opinion about a player, especially as our opinions don't have any impact at all on decisions made by the coaches?

And yeah, we all have negative opinions about certain players at certain times. Granted, we are all largely clueless (as our access to legit information is incredibly limited as compared to that of coaches, etc.) and our opinions are mostly the result of our own knee-jerk emotions, but they seem pretty valid in our own heads. The question for each of us then becomes one of whether we think that sharing those negative opinions on a message board will serve a positive purpose. We've all decided, at one time or another, that it makes us feel good to share those negative opinions, so we go for it.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:40 am

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Love it!
Foster had big shoes to fill when Na'a went down last year. Maybe he's not Ray Lewis but he busted his ass for this team, and that included playing hurt most of the year. He more than earned my respect.

Txparent
New Recruit

Post by Txparent » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:27 pm

As a parent of an out of state player.....and you do not know which one....it's more than disappointing and shows complete and utter idiocy of someone I don't even have enough derogatory words for.
I surely hope you realize that you (definitely) and most of us do not know......surely not anyone posting on this board, what all the circumstances were or what that young man has been through in his time there. But definitely enough for the NCAA to think it was warranted. Which, if you know anything, you know that is not an easy feat, in itself.
I will tell you, I know him and I know the dedication he has had to your team, your state, the community, etc.....staying away from home for 4 years straight through the summers, NOT working on a basket weaving degree.....RATHER CIVIL ENGINEERING, with multiple, multiple injuries and challenges. Playing while broken because his TEAM needed him.....knowing he was not 100%.......
I hope you realize that not only the ones who call themselves fans and supporters read these posts, but so do potential recruits and their families as well as genuine people that have actually lived enough life to have a conscience.
Let me just say that in my experience, most of the folks in Montana have been nothing but great people....but those of you who write posts like this above and are proud of it should think about what those athletes GIVE to the program.....in blood, swear, tears, heart, desire, body and soul. It's disgusting to me that someone would think it's ok to post something like this. You should grow up....I'd say that this young man, what he's fought for and what he stands for......and what he has to endure out of the mouths of people like you.....should be proof enough that he has way more character than you could ever think of having.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:37 pm

Txparent wrote:As a parent of an out of state player.....and you do not know which one....it's more than disappointing and shows complete and utter idiocy of someone I don't even have enough derogatory words for.
I surely hope you realize that you (definitely) and most of us do not know......surely not anyone posting on this board, what all the circumstances were or what that young man has been through in his time there. But definitely enough for the NCAA to think it was warranted. Which, if you know anything, you know that is not an easy feat, in itself.
I will tell you, I know him and I know the dedication he has had to your team, your state, the community, etc.....staying away from home for 4 years straight through the summers, NOT working on a basket weaving degree.....RATHER CIVIL ENGINEERING, with multiple, multiple injuries and challenges. Playing while broken because his TEAM needed him.....knowing he was not 100%.......
I hope you realize that not only the ones who call themselves fans and supporters read these posts, but so do potential recruits and their families as well as genuine people that have actually lived enough life to have a conscience.
Let me just say that in my experience, most of the folks in Montana have been nothing but great people....but those of you who write posts like this above and are proud of it should think about what those athletes GIVE to the program.....in blood, swear, tears, heart, desire, body and soul. It's disgusting to me that someone would think it's ok to post something like this. You should grow up....I'd say that this young man, what he's fought for and what he stands for......and what he has to endure out of the mouths of people like you.....should be proof enough that he has way more character than you could ever think of having.
=D^

yeah, that post you are referring to was probably the dumbest post I have ever read on BN (and that includes the random crap from Plainiac)
Last edited by mslacatfan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BroncoCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BroncoCat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:37 pm

I follow Foster on twitter, he is very active in Big Brothers & Sisters and pursuing an engineering degree. He is a fine player, and worthy on being on scholarship at this point in his career.
Michael Foster should be commended for fighting so hard to play and finish school.
Just from what I see on the field and social media, he makes me proud to have him representing our university.

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:23 pm

I could not agree more the last few posts. Some of the A holes that think they deserve to write and make up stuff like grizz lier and hi idiot because they bought a jersey at Walmart and call themselves fans have no idea what it takes to play the game. I am sure you get the idea, It is great to have Mr. Foster back.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:32 pm

Txparent wrote:As a parent of an out of state player.....and you do not know which one....it's more than disappointing and shows complete and utter idiocy of someone I don't even have enough derogatory words for.
Great post. Always good to get the parent perspective. Every fan base has their share of misguided souls....unfortunately we are no different.

Lovethecats75

Post by Lovethecats75 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:38 pm

Welcome back Michael. Glad to have Your experience and leadership back.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:57 pm

basincat wrote:
GRZSLAYER wrote:Alright I'll be the jerk. Who cares!!! Unless he is coming back to play special teams which would only help because it might give a freshman the chance to redshirt that is the only good. I would rather see his scholarship go to a young walk on who is deserving or a guy like Fitts!!

This doesn't really help the team that much.

Thank you. Agreed. He better never be ahead of Rhett Young on the depth chart. Wasn't better than him last year, so especially not after this. However, maybe he could help prevent an injury to someone by playing special teams.
Rhett young is a better linebacker and that was obvious when young was in due to Foster coming out of the game numerous times last year for some sort of injury. I kind of agree with grzslayer and definitely see the point about the scholarship issue, especially since he has to sit out the first four games. I hope he does good but as far as this being a great addition I'm not so sure on that. When he left I didn't think it was big loss and I don't feel like its a big addition having him back on the team. Having said that I hope he does good when he gets in and I will cheer for him just like any other player on the team.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:04 pm

Bobcat Steve wrote:I could not agree more the last few posts. Some of the A holes that think they deserve to write and make up stuff like grizz lier and hi idiot because they bought a jersey at Walmart and call themselves fans have no idea what it takes to play the game. I am sure you get the idea, It is great to have Mr. Foster back.
Huh? Who are those guys.

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:I could not agree more the last few posts. Some of the A holes that think they deserve to write and make up stuff like grizz lier and hi idiot because they bought a jersey at Walmart and call themselves fans have no idea what it takes to play the game. I am sure you get the idea, It is great to have Mr. Foster back.
Huh? Who are those guys.
Look in the mirror and you'll know who one of em is!

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:16 pm

Cat_gld wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Huh? Who are those guys.
Look in the mirror and you'll know who one of em is!
I see, so when you voice a different opinion on a "Fan Forum", I repeat "Fan Forum", compared to the majority your an idiot? Got it, I will conform next time big boy. Unbelievable.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:44 pm

I have a feeling some of our posters have never played competitive sports in their entire life. There is more than just 40 times and highlight plays that bring value to a team. I was very involved with a championship basketball team that went undefeated with most of their starters and key players being Sophs and Jrs. They had two seniors who maybe averaged 4 points a game and came off the bench but these were the "glue guys." They got in the face of the star if he dogged a play or in practice, gave fiery speeches pregame that everyone got pumped for, cheered louder than anyone on the bench, pulled a guy off to the side if he made a mistake. The next year this team didn't even qualify for their tournament. Same key players a lot of them seniors, but they didn't have any true leaders, true "nothing is more important than the team" guys.

With a team full of underclassmen and many freshman getting valuable playing time I think Foster is going to be vital for our success. Putting a freshman in his place if he gets bigger than the team, teaching and training moments, almost another coach on the field. After reading his Instagram post I would love to hear this guy speak before a game a la Ray Lewis. If anyone deserves a scholly it is this guy.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:05 pm

RobertCats wrote:I have a feeling some of our posters have never played competitive sports in their entire life. There is more than just 40 times and highlight plays that bring value to a team. I was very involved with a championship basketball team that went undefeated with most of their starters and key players being Sophs and Jrs. They had two seniors who maybe averaged 4 points a game and came off the bench but these were the "glue guys." They got in the face of the star if he dogged a play or in practice, gave fiery speeches pregame that everyone got pumped for, cheered louder than anyone on the bench, pulled a guy off to the side if he made a mistake. The next year this team didn't even qualify for their tournament. Same key players a lot of them seniors, but they didn't have any true leaders, true "nothing is more important than the team" guys.

With a team full of underclassmen and many freshman getting valuable playing time I think Foster is going to be vital for our success. Putting a freshman in his place if he gets bigger than the team, teaching and training moments, almost another coach on the field. After reading his Instagram post I would love to hear this guy speak before a game a la Ray Lewis. If anyone deserves a scholly it is this guy.
I think it's a joke that if you say anything on here to the contrary you get blasted, then others pile on. I played a college sport and was gonna play 2 if it wasn't for a scholarship stipulation at the school. I know for a fact basincat played college football, so this argument saying "oh your an idiot and I bet you never played competitive sports" is played out and ridiculous.I never said anything bad about Foster nor did basincat, maybe we just think differently about his possible contribution to the team this year. I can assure you I want him to succeed and I bet basincat and grzslayer feel the same way.I think it's more BS when someone tries to tell someone else they have no clue,just because their opinion is different than what a parent or another fan thinks. I'm not questioning Foster's heart or sacrifice for MSU one bit.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:41 pm

My intention wasn't to "blast" anyone or say you didn't have a clue. I was stating a pretty accurate statistic that a majority on here haven't been in a competitive locker room environment at all or at least in a very long time. Also stating my opinion that leadership and a strong locker room presence is an overlooked and undervalued quality. Just saying IMO he deserves a scholly not just because we owe it to him for 5 years of dedication but that he will bring value to the program. I apologize if your feelings got hurt, I ditched my one feeling long ago to avoid these types of situations

DicTater

Post by DicTater » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:53 pm

Yes, this is a fan forum, but just because someone has a thought pop in their head, doesn't mean they should post it. As the old saying goes, "Better to be quiet and thought a fool, then talk and remove all doubt."

Here's a pro tip, if you are starting your post with, "Allright, I'll be the jerk..", you probably should not post rather than posting and removing all doubt.

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:07 pm

Days of our Lives..... Quit being such a pussy.. :-({|= If someone bashes on you for something you write who really cares.. Where is Plainiac when you need him.. State your opinion and deal with the possible fallout or don't post!!

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:27 pm

Awesome news. Welcome back Foster and really hope to see him make the most of this season. Plus, you never know when someone else might get hurt, and he has experience and that could be huge near the end of the season.

Punters are people too!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:01 am

What an awesome story and what a fighter this guy appears to be. He took a beating last year and with Young nursing injuries and Na'a already out for the year, the coaches had to keep putting him in there and he kept coming back for more.

He does all that and then suffers through some academic difficulties and has his eligibility taken away prior to his final season. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.

Foster won't win the MLB job away from Na'a, but he'll be a great addition to the special teams and provides depth along with Young at MLB. He's probably capable of playing the other LB positions in case of emergency. Utility players like this are of immense importance to any team. Very good player when healthy.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber