Michael Foster is BACK!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Michael Foster is BACK!

Post by Darth Yoda » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:13 am

TomCat88 wrote:What an awesome story and what a fighter this guy appears to be. He took a beating last year and with Young nursing injuries and Na'a already out for the year, the coaches had to keep putting him in there and he kept coming back for more.

He does all that and then suffers through some academic difficulties and has his eligibility taken away prior to his final season. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.

Foster won't win the MLB job away from Na'a, but he'll be a great addition to the special teams and provides depth along with Young at MLB. He's probably capable of playing the other LB positions in case of emergency. Utility players like this are of immense importance to any team. Very good player when healthy.
I'm really glad Mike is back too. There's no substitute for his experience and leadership. One point tho, don't you think Young has a better chance moving outside? I was thinking Foster becomes the #2 MLB and Young knocks Mac Bignell to the #3.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:35 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:What an awesome story and what a fighter this guy appears to be. He took a beating last year and with Young nursing injuries and Na'a already out for the year, the coaches had to keep putting him in there and he kept coming back for more.

He does all that and then suffers through some academic difficulties and has his eligibility taken away prior to his final season. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.

Foster won't win the MLB job away from Na'a, but he'll be a great addition to the special teams and provides depth along with Young at MLB. He's probably capable of playing the other LB positions in case of emergency. Utility players like this are of immense importance to any team. Very good player when healthy.
I'm really glad Mike is back too. There's no substitute for his experience and leadership. One point tho, don't you think Young has a better chance moving outside? I was thinking Foster becomes the #2 MLB and Young knocks Mac Bignell to the #3.
Interesting thought. Obviously not right away, but it depends on how well the other OLBs are doing.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GRZSLAYER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by GRZSLAYER » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:29 am

Wow this thread has certainly blown up. I'll take responsibility for that and will just say my peace and move on.

I for one am not trying to put Foster down and I do hope he succeeds. I know what I said sounds like I have it out for him, but him personally I have nothing against at all. I just found it interesting that in a season where the Cats loaded up on talent young or old they were making a huge point on needing to get better. From recruiting to technique to overall talent on offense and especially on defense. I know they ended spring camp with something like 20 more players more than what they had money for. Some naturally left due to academic issues, drug tests, some had injuries and some weren't asked back. So for me my first thought when I heard the news about this was I found it interesting that they brought a guy back who hasn't played much since last season, has some issues outside of football, and will miss a third of the season. That to me is my main point. I hope when he does get back he lights it up and makes a ton of plays to help the team. After all that's what he is here to help accomplish. I listed other reasons and I stand by those also, but thinking of what the coaches said going into this off season my first thought was this kind of went against it. In the end it's great a kid gets a second chance and hopefully he utilizes it to finish his degree and help contribute all he can at every opportunity.

I'll sing off on this subject with one last thought.
I wonder if Prevost and Wa'a would have actually been eligible and made it here if he would have even had a spot on the team. I think the question was asked in the Fitts topic if we had a scholarship available and I think the answer was 1 1/2. So I wonder if Fosters would have went to fill the requirements of Wa'a and Prevost if they were eligible and Foster wasn't.

Here's looking forward to better conversations down the road.

Dakota Prukop -MSU Quarterback
Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver
I needed a change for one, but for two, I HAD to go to Coach Haucks rival school.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:37 am

Having Foster back is only a plus for the team. He is a proven player and can add quality depth to the LB's! The team has now gotten better...again. Good news! =D^

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:45 am

There is often a vast difference when you talk about people in the abstract on a message board as interchangeable cogs on a football team, than when you actually live, work and play with the actual human being and deal with people on that level. You can look at the situation purely as Xs and Os and make a calculated dollars and cents decision, or you can see it from the interpersonal aspect and understand its just plain out wrong to simply say "sorry, you're out" and move on to the next tool in the box. This is undoubtedly the "right" thing to do and aside from that, Foster was a major contributor last year regardless of the team results at the end of the year, played significant time the year before that absolutely adds defensive depth wherever the coaches decide to put him.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:53 am

I guess he's kind of touched a sentimental chord in me. I'll be anxiously waiting to see him on the field this fall. He had over 70 tackles last year, correct? Congratulations and good luck!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:06 am

Great post Tom and thank you to the parent that posted.

Hi-Line--get over your stupid "if you aren't from MT you aren't as worthy" attitude. It gets old. Grow up. These are young men, barely beyond being boys. It would be one thing if it was a bad attitude or trouble with the law--that isn't the case. I'm sure if he was from MT you'd be ecstatic about him coming back.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:23 am

LTown Cat wrote:

Great post Tom and thank you to the parent that posted.

Hi-Line--get over your stupid "if you aren't from MT you aren't as worthy" attitude. It gets old. Grow up. These are young men, barely beyond being boys. It would be one thing if it was a bad attitude or trouble with the law--that isn't the case. I'm sure if he was from MT you'd be ecstatic about him coming back.
WTF bud? :lol: If you knew me you probably wouldn't say that, but judge away. Maybe you should ask Mr. Rachac what I wrote to him in regards to his little comment regarding MSU not having a MT QB since Rob Compson. I'm glad you know how I would feel if Foster was a MT kid as well. :lol: :lol:

If your left, you aren’t right.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:38 am

Fair enough Hi-Line. I'm just tired of people (most likely adults) feeling they can blast on these kids anonymously whenever they want. If you've ever coached, which I have a lot, you would maybe have a very different perspective. As a poster said above--once you develop some of these types of relationships you don't just bail on a kid. Even if he screws up you help him out because they are young and make mistakes.

On another note:
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... bdc+sports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gocats

Post by gocats » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:31 pm

wbtfg wrote:He'll probably just fumble.

I didn't need to see that with a mouthful of diet mtn dew. Lol

Alcohol doesn't make you fat, it makes you lean.... on chairs, tables and random ugly people....

gocats

Post by gocats » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:35 pm

Txparent wrote:As a parent of an out of state player.....and you do not know which one....it's more than disappointing and shows complete and utter idiocy of someone I don't even have enough derogatory words for.
I surely hope you realize that you (definitely) and most of us do not know......surely not anyone posting on this board, what all the circumstances were or what that young man has been through in his time there. But definitely enough for the NCAA to think it was warranted. Which, if you know anything, you know that is not an easy feat, in itself.
I will tell you, I know him and I know the dedication he has had to your team, your state, the community, etc.....staying away from home for 4 years straight through the summers, NOT working on a basket weaving degree.....RATHER CIVIL ENGINEERING, with multiple, multiple injuries and challenges. Playing while broken because his TEAM needed him.....knowing he was not 100%.......
I hope you realize that not only the ones who call themselves fans and supporters read these posts, but so do potential recruits and their families as well as genuine people that have actually lived enough life to have a conscience.
Let me just say that in my experience, most of the folks in Montana have been nothing but great people....but those of you who write posts like this above and are proud of it should think about what those athletes GIVE to the program.....in blood, swear, tears, heart, desire, body and soul. It's disgusting to me that someone would think it's ok to post something like this. You should grow up....I'd say that this young man, what he's fought for and what he stands for......and what he has to endure out of the mouths of people like you.....should be proof enough that he has way more character than you could ever think of having.
Great post.

Alcohol doesn't make you fat, it makes you lean.... on chairs, tables and random ugly people....

ElbowCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ElbowCat » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:30 pm

Welcome back Michael. I'm really excited for you, after all the hard work and dedication, to get to finish out your college career as a fifth year senior on the football field. We'll be cheering you on from the stands. Go Cats!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:40 am

Even if you think Rhett Young is a better linebacker (you can definitely make an argument for this), it would be wrong to pull Foster's scholarship. But even if you don't care about that, it would be dumb. What are future recruits going to think if they see you pulling fifth-year seniors' scholarships? They're gonna think "ummm, maybe I'd rather go to Eastern Washington instead."

Just dumb.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:18 am

I look at this as a nice change for the better this year. We have an extra LB that we are pleasantly surprised with. We almost seem to traditionally lose a LB each year; the last couple anyway and thought we had lost Foster for this year. He'll get to play and get his degree. He will be a valuable addition on special teams and spell the starters on D. I'm happy for him, the team, and the fans.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:20 am

Good for Michael!

- Finish strong
- Earn your degree
- Get a good job and make lots of money
- And come back as a big time booster!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:52 pm

Bobcat Steve wrote:I could not agree more the last few posts. Some of the A holes that think they deserve to write and make up stuff like grizz lier and hi idiot because they bought a jersey at Walmart and call themselves fans have no idea what it takes to play the game. I am sure you get the idea, It is great to have Mr. Foster back.
I'll continue to advocate what BAC said years ago, and it took me years to understand. Putting your name out there when criticizing a player (or even coach) makes that poster much more aware of the real world implications of what is being posted.
Last edited by PapaG on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote: Rhett young is a better linebacker and that was obvious when young was in due to Foster coming out of the game numerous times last year for some sort of injury. I kind of agree with grzslayer and definitely see the point about the scholarship issue, especially since he has to sit out the first four games. I hope he does good but as far as this being a great addition I'm not so sure on that. When he left I didn't think it was big loss and I don't feel like its a big addition having him back on the team. Having said that I hope he does good when he gets in and I will cheer for him just like any other player on the team.
Cutting him loose would hurt the APR, but that's secondary. He's a 5th year senior who hopefully will graduate this year with a degree in engineering. Pulling his scholarship would be such a bad move, I can't even understand how anyone would be for it.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:38 pm

I understand that he may not be the greatest player we have ever seen in the program but he is solid and is a good ST player. The kid worked his a$$ off for the program for four years and is looked up to by his teammates. Cutting him would be one of the stupidest things our coaches could do. Nothing screams, "Come play for our program!!!" more than backing out of a commitment to a player.

Catman2
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Catman2 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:30 pm

Our family had the privilege of sitting and eating with Mike Foster and Alex Singleton at the triangle classic in 2013. They both were very cordial and dedicated to playing for MSU. One thing that impressed me was that when Coach Ash announced the captains for 2013 -both Alex and Mike reacted like they had been the ones announced. They were so excited for the new captains and said how appropriate the selections were and they knew the positive effect it would have for the team. We know what Alex and Mike have done and think they both will make MSU look good on the football field this year and in the corporate world for many years.