Kylie Fitts is a Bobcat!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

lutecat
Member # Retired

Re: Kylie Fitts is a Bobcat!

Post by lutecat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Yeah. That's about it. It's tough to have a coherent thought when you're walking around Bob Wards looking at hunting stuff sometimes.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:50 pm

lutecat wrote:Yeah. That's about it. It's tough to have a coherent thought when you're walking around Bob Wards looking at hunting stuff sometimes.
Yeah, it's hard enough for me to have a coherent thought even when I'm doing my best to focus on the subject exclusively.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Still no word about Fitts hearing.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:05 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Still no word about Fitts hearing.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:33 pm

wbtfg wrote:
After a quick 5 minute google search I've learned just enough to be dangerous and likely completely wrong. That said, here are my thoughts....

I'm guessing Fitts is still bound under his NLI. In order to get out of that he needs to be granted a release by his current school. UCLA/Mora may decide not to do that. Also, I think one thing I saw somewhere which was somewhat unique to the Pac-12 is that intra-conference transfers may not receive athletic aid during their transfer year residency period. I'm guessing this is what Fitts is appealing. If UCLA/Mora are willing to grant a release then (from what I interpret in a bit of a vague document) he would likely be on the hook to finance a year of schooling while he sit out. He may or may not be in a position to do that.
So, that means Mora hasn't granted his release yet. That makes sense. Seems rather crappy of Mora, but then again, he's not known for being a nice guy. Thanks for the info, as it's the most likely scenario.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:36 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
It would appear that the enforcement body for matters of scholarships agreements is the NCAA and/or the conferences ... not the legal system.
I'm still wondering how UCLA can put caveats in their releases, while Cal doesn't. One would think that each team in a conference should have the same transfer rules. I don't understand how Mora should have any control on where Fitts ends up playing in the future. If Fitts goes on to play at a conference rival, does that mean the terms of his release are violated? What's the penalty? Does Fitts have to go back to UCLA?

ETA - I can only find two internet sources that say he can't transfer to a Pac 12 school. One is on a UCLA fan site, and the other is this thread.
I'm not sure if you saw this the first time -- it seems to address the concerns you share with the author:

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sp ... tting.html
Yep, that makes sense. I'm guessing Fitts hasn't been granted his release yet, and Fitts is appealing Mora's stance to the Pac-12 re: the terms of his release.

What a ride

BroncoCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BroncoCat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:42 pm

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/11 ... s-transfer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What Mora is doing is neither unique nor illegal.
This is a fairly common practice with schools.
The above link was pretty dominant in the sports world not that long ago.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:53 pm

BroncoCat wrote:http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/11 ... s-transfer

What Mora is doing is neither unique nor illegal.
This is a fairly common practice with schools.
The above link was pretty dominant in the sports world not that long ago.
I never said it was illegal or unique. I do know that Sonny Dykes at Cal allowed Johnny Ragin to transfer to Oregon this year, though. I think it's a bad move by coaches who hold up the future academic career of players who want to transfer by limiting their options, but I understand not wanting him to transfer to USC, for example, which is where Fitts originally committed while in HS.

I also find it funny that Mora spent so much time recruiting a kid who had committed to USC, convinced him to go to UCLA, and because he signed a LOI Mora now basically owns his immediate future.

What a ride

BroncoCat

Post by BroncoCat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:58 pm

You just seem hellbent on making it a Mora issue, when it is pretty common.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:06 pm

BroncoCat wrote:You just seem hellbent on making it a Mora issue, when it is pretty common.
It is a Mora issue. Cal under Sonny Dykes doesn't do this. Mora made a decision to limit where Fitts can play. That's 100% on Mora. I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's Mora's decision on who he approves Fitts transferring to, isn't it?

What a ride

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Not sure how petitioning the pac12 helps a Mora release.

BroncoCat

Post by BroncoCat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Dykes is a new coach who is probably fine with a malcontent leaving.
Might explain why cal sucks too.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:18 pm

wbtfg wrote:Not sure how petitioning the pac12 helps a Mora release.
Yeah, that part doesn't make any sense, unless the Pac-12 is going to make all of their members follow the same transfer rules.

I'm not blaming Mora, by the way. I can see why he wouldn't want a 4* DE go to a USC or an Oregon; I'm just not sure in this "pay the players" climate, that limiting transfer options is fair to the player asking to transfer.

What a ride

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Not sure if this is relevant.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/usc ... -4year.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:59 pm

BroncoCat wrote:You just seem hellbent on making it a Mora issue, when it is pretty common.
It's really common and you see this a lot in basketball, especially in the big ten. You can say its bad to hold up a kids academic career, but let's be honest we want Fitts for his football playing and most transfer are going somewhere else to get more playing time, if we are just being honest.Coaches are coaching for a living and I wouldn't want a player to go to one of my conference opponents either, especially if will contribute. I don't blame any coach that does this, because I would do the same thing. Fitts probably wouldn't have even looked here if it wasn't for Blake, those two are really tight, and that's a fact so I don't think this is an academic situation.

If your left, you aren’t right.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Rich K wrote:Not sure if this is relevant.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/usc ... -4year.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's right. The Pac-12 rule is you can't immediately get a scholarship if you transfer directly to an intra-conference team. Basically, you pay your own way for a year, or transfer somewhere else and then return to the Pac-12. What I can't find are the FCS to FBS transfer rules. I know the FBS to FCS rules, but am having trouble finding FCS to FBS rules.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Coaches are coaching for a living and I wouldn't want a player to go to one of my conference opponents either, especially if will contribute. I don't blame any coach that does this, because I would do the same thing. Fitts probably wouldn't have even looked here if it wasn't for Blake, those two are really tight, and that's a fact so I don't think this is an academic situation.
I agree, but then again, Steve Sarkisian was able to jump from UW to USC this year, and doesn't have to sit out a season. USC even paid his buy-out, along with Justin Wilcox's. Seems a bit unfair to me. Reminds me of when Tosh Lupoi was recruiting Shaq Thompson one night for Cal, went back to Cal and cleaned out his office at night, and then showed up the next day at Thompson's house, but this time recruiting for UW. I find it hard to believe he wasn't talking UW to Thompson a few hours before he cleaned out his office.

What a ride

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:50 am

I think it's clear that Fitts obviously wants to play in the Pac 12 this year if that is possible. I think, based on what people have said here, and the fact that he left UCLA for his own reasons that it is unlikely he will win his appeal. I hope he does win it because that is a stupid "non-compete" clause if ever there was one. However, if it is in place as has been shared, the appeal is likely to not prevail. In that case, Mr. Fitts is likely to make a hard decision that will be a great one in the long run...and that is to come and play for the Cats in the BSC!

If he makes that hard personal decision, he will love the Cats, Bozeman, and will in fact make a name for himself should be apply himself on and off the field! I think it's a win for him to come north...and I think we will hear the news shortly that he is. IMO

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:24 am

catsrback76 wrote:I think it's clear that Fitts obviously wants to play in the Pac 12 this year if that is possible. I think, based on what people have said here, and the fact that he left UCLA for his own reasons that it is unlikely he will win his appeal. I hope he does win it because that is a stupid "non-compete" clause if ever there was one. However, if it is in place as has been shared, the appeal is likely to not prevail. In that case, Mr. Fitts is likely to make a hard decision that will be a great one in the long run...and that is to come and play for the Cats in the BSC!

If he makes that hard personal decision, he will love the Cats, Bozeman, and will in fact make a name for himself should be apply himself on and off the field! I think it's a win for him to come north...and I think we will hear the news shortly that he is. IMO
He can't play in the Pac 12 this year, that's fact and won't be changed regardless of what happens. The NCAA transfer rule about sitting out when going from FBS school to FBS school is pretty hard and fast. If he wants to play in the Pac 12 and gets clearance either from his coach relenting or his appeal winning then he can transfer to a Pac 12 this year but will still have to sit out for a year.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:30 am

So a little embarrassed on how little I know about the transfer from fbs to fcs and vice versa, but if he plays at a fcs school or juco does that count as his year of sitting out and can return to fbs the following year?