Montana State-Arkansas State Tidbits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana State-Arkansas State Tidbits

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:29 pm

RustonCAT wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
RustonCAT wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Rich K wrote:I'm going to go ahead and pick MSU winning this game. I am a bit nervous about being overly optimistic since last year's finish knocked the wind out of me for a couple months. However, that being said. I really like the looks of this year's team, and I think our defense will keep ASU's offense in check, and our offense will be in ASU "back seven" the whole game. I look at all of the 60-7 score predictions on the ASU forum and scratch my head, wondering if I'm missing anything. Truth is, I'm not, heck they for the most part admit not knowing anything about the Big Sky or FCS football in general. I know about the Sun Belt, and I think we're all just a bit gun shy. As long as the charter flight is on time we will send the ASU fans home muttering about how hard it is to have 5 head coaches in 5 years.

30-17 MSU.
That's bold, I like it! If this was Dakota's 5th or 6th game I might agree. But I think it's gonna take him a few games to find his comfort zone. ASU will have a tough time scoring a lot on our defense, but they'll score enough.

21-13 ASU.
You won't hold us under 35. Heck you couldn't even hold sf Austin or EWU under that
We haven't played them yet...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
But you brag about bringing everyone back on Defense that got destroyed by these 2 teams. They both would get destroyed by Arkansas state. Very different athletes FCS get gems ever now and then but most times it's kids wanting to stay home or only scholarship offered
I picked your team to win, but you're not happy because I didn't pick a big enough point margin?

RustonCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by RustonCAT » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:45 pm

91catAlum wrote:
RustonCAT wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
RustonCAT wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Rich K wrote:I'm going to go ahead and pick MSU winning this game. I am a bit nervous about being overly optimistic since last year's finish knocked the wind out of me for a couple months. However, that being said. I really like the looks of this year's team, and I think our defense will keep ASU's offense in check, and our offense will be in ASU "back seven" the whole game. I look at all of the 60-7 score predictions on the ASU forum and scratch my head, wondering if I'm missing anything. Truth is, I'm not, heck they for the most part admit not knowing anything about the Big Sky or FCS football in general. I know about the Sun Belt, and I think we're all just a bit gun shy. As long as the charter flight is on time we will send the ASU fans home muttering about how hard it is to have 5 head coaches in 5 years.

30-17 MSU.
That's bold, I like it! If this was Dakota's 5th or 6th game I might agree. But I think it's gonna take him a few games to find his comfort zone. ASU will have a tough time scoring a lot on our defense, but they'll score enough.

21-13 ASU.
You won't hold us under 35. Heck you couldn't even hold sf Austin or EWU under that

But you brag about bringing everyone back on Defense that got destroyed by these 2 teams. They both would get destroyed by Arkansas state. Very different athletes FCS get gems ever now and then but most times it's kids wanting to stay home or only scholarship offered
I picked your team to win, but you're not happy because I didn't pick a big enough point margin?

You can keep same margin. Just not holding them under 35. So 41-33 but if it's that close 95% of the football fans would be shocked

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:55 pm

RustonCAT wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
RustonCAT wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
RustonCAT wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

30-17 MSU.

21-13 ASU.

You can keep same margin. Just not holding them under 35. So 41-33 but if it's that close 95% of the football fans would be shocked
I think both those scores are too high. I don't see our defense giving up 41 this game, and I don't see our offense scoring 33 either. This year's defense will be a lot better than last year.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:35 pm

RustonCAT wrote:

30-17 MSU.
You have the right to the opinion but I can see you don't have a clue who your opponent is.
When might you be ready to predict a score?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

RustonCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by RustonCAT » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:11 pm

Rich K wrote:
RustonCAT wrote:

30-17 MSU.
You have the right to the opinion but I can see you don't have a clue who your opponent is.
Honest answer is no way MSU scores more than 21. New Qb with no snaps and against a defense that is very much willing to dare you to throw. I believe Prukop will be running for his life back there. I believe he makes some Mistakes that new Qb's make. I know they will spread The bobcats out and use their athletes in space. How long is the real question. How long can you contain these athletes that they will lines up everywhere. Jd Mckissic is a Rb playing WR. That's how they are built under Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn. They recruited Borderline SEC talent at RB/WR hybrids types and have quite a few of them. They will get them the ball every way imaginable. My prediction is ASU starts off great and then has okay rest of the game
1--2--3--4---Final
MSU. 07--07--03--00---21
ASU. 17--10--10--03---40

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Well crap they have borderline SEC guys. We are toast.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:51 pm

We return a lot of the same defense as last year you are correct but we played last year without our team captain and middle linebacker all year, he is back healthy. We added a DE who was on scholarship at Arizona state and was mulling an offer from Michigan state before he committed and a corner from Nevada who picked off Winston in the Nevada vs Florida st game. This defense is no where near the D that was picked apart by EWU. Stephen F Austin dealt with a short field almost the entire 2nd half so the score was inflated.

bigkid
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bigkid » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:25 am

RustonCAT wrote:
Rich K wrote:
RustonCAT wrote:

30-17 MSU.
Honest answer is no way MSU scores more than 21. New Qb with no snaps and against a defense that is very much willing to dare you to throw. I believe Prukop will be running for his life back there. I believe he makes some Mistakes that new Qb's make. I know they will spread The bobcats out and use their athletes in space. How long is the real question. How long can you contain these athletes that they will lines up everywhere. Jd Mckissic is a Rb playing WR. That's how they are built under Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn. They recruited Borderline SEC talent at RB/WR hybrids types and have quite a few of them. They will get them the ball every way imaginable. My prediction is ASU starts off great and then has okay rest of the game
1--2--3--4---Final
MSU. 07--07--03--00---21
ASU. 17--10--10--03---40
Under this scenario the msu row equals 17. Do they get 2 safeties in the 4th? :coffee:
Go Griz!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:45 am

No way Ark State scores 35 and no way we score less than 21. We get two offensive TD's and special teams or D TD. Ark State 24, MSU 21 and they are glad to not have to ever play us again. Mark it!!! :yes:

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:03 am

CelticCat wrote:Well crap they have borderline SEC guys. We are toast.
I say not only do we forfeit this game, but the season. What if we play someone who has borderline MW talent, or MAC talent, or even worse, Idaho talent? I'll see everyone next year, hopefully fully recovered.

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:30 am

Isn't everybody that is not in the SEC borderline SEC talent?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Team10

Post by Team10 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:38 am

RustonCAT wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
RustonCAT wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
RustonCAT wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

30-17 MSU.

21-13 ASU.

Well seeing as the Bobcats coulda woulda shoulda beat SMU last year this argument would hold in a court of law \:D/ ...even with our terrible defense.
http://www.myteamisbetterthanyourteam.c ... _SxX_ldXNs

St George

Post by St George » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:57 am

allcat wrote:Isn't everybody that is not in the SEC borderline SEC talent?
Except for the western school of dance, they are all borderline nfl.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 am

RustonCAT wrote:
Rich K wrote:
RustonCAT wrote:

30-17 MSU.
1--2--3--4---Final
MSU. 07--07--03--00---21
ASU. 17--10--10--03---40
Isn't Malzahn two head coaches ago?, How come you keep talking like he is coaching this team? Isn't the guy that is coaching now going to be in his FIRST game ever as HC? Isn't you QB relatively inexperienced as a starter? when he was in, he was used sparing as a glorified running back. He is a mobile QB that has 215 yards passing in 11 games played. At this point in their careers I am more concerned with facing that little snot from EWU that has almost 5000 yards passing in 15 games, and VA is every bit as mobile as the Knighton kid, (yeah, I watched the bowl game against Ball St) I just dont think that Knighton will be the Best QB we see this year, in fact right now I would put him no higher than 4th, (VA,JJ, Safron)

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Cat in NC
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat in NC » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:37 am

cats2506 wrote:
RustonCAT wrote:
Rich K wrote:
RustonCAT wrote:

30-17 MSU.
1--2--3--4---Final
MSU. 07--07--03--00---21
ASU. 17--10--10--03---40
Isn't Malzahn two head coaches ago?, How come you keep talking like he is coaching this team? Isn't the guy that is coaching now going to be in his FIRST game ever as HC? Isn't you QB relatively inexperienced as a starter? when he was in, he was used sparing as a glorified running back. He is a mobile QB that has 215 yards passing in 11 games played. At this point in their careers I am more concerned with facing that little snot from EWU that has almost 5000 yards passing in 15 games, and VA is every bit as mobile as the Knighton kid, (yeah, I watched the bowl game against Ball St) I just dont think that Knighton will be the Best QB we see this year, in fact right now I would put him no higher than 4th, (VA,JJ, Safron)
Agreed. And the notion mentioned earlier that Ark St would have "destroyed" EWU last year is laughable.

I'm not big on the transitive argument, but the Red Wolves beat one of the worst teams in FBS, Georgia State, by 2 at home. Georgia State finished 0-12 and ended the season at 183 in the Sagarin rankings...with 64 FCS teams above them. EWU, on the other hand, took down Oregon State (29th in Sagarin) by 3 on the road.

Or, we can look at head-to-head Sagarin rankings. EWU...79. Arkansas State...95. Your guys beat ONE team with a higher ranking than EWU last year. Mighty Ball State and their #70 ranking.

All that said...

ASU 27
MSU 20

Travis Bickford
MSU '95

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:58 am

RustonCAT wrote: 1--2--3--4---Final
MSU. 07--07--03--00---21
ASU. 17--10--10--03---40
:shock:
I know people make fun of academics in Arkansas but this is ridiculous. same thing happens every year we play "up". 98% of the fanbase is great and there is always a few who have to come talking crap about how we have zero chance and how much better athletes you will have. although this is the first time I've heard the expression "borderline sec talent". :lol:

I'm assuming you're giving Arkansas state zero chance the two weeks after you play us when you get to travel to Tennessee ( :shock: :shock: they have ACTUAL sec talent) and then Miami! be honest...the fans of these two proud programs are looking at Arkansas state in the exact way you are looking at msu. :lol:

Apexredwolf
New Recruit

Post by Apexredwolf » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:44 pm

CelticCat wrote:Well crap they have borderline SEC guys. We are toast.

Been lurking on your board for a week...thought I would chime in when I read this quote. Cracked me up... :lol:

Dont let RustonCat get to you, he's very "passionate". And you can tell he likes him some Malzahn.... :lol:

Most of us do respect yall as a very solid FCS team, just like JumpinJoe and Astaterocks said earlier in this thread.
Last edited by Apexredwolf on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apexredwolf
New Recruit

Post by Apexredwolf » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:51 pm

91catAlum wrote:Our kicking game is an unknown at this point. Our kicker and punter (same guy) graduated, and so far this camp it doesn't sound like any of our young guys have done much to impress...
However the return game is a different story. We have an all american return man (also starts at RB ) with serious wheels who is a threat to score anytime he gets into the open.

I thought you were a fan of ASU when I read your comment. That is exactly our position at those special team spots.

K...Unknown
P...Unknown

KR...led the country in KR avg in 2013....WR JD McKissic.

Apexredwolf
New Recruit

Post by Apexredwolf » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:13 pm

I think that this game will be 34-20 ASU.

For the last four years, our preseason talk has been nothing but wild speculation. Hasnt changed much from our perspective. Yes, this is our fifth coach in five years... :-({|=

Thoughts about our team:
Great "back seven"...need I go on?
Unknown kicker/punter
Great runner at QB...dont know about his downfield passing. Did really well when everything was on the line last year and had to step in. Watch the second half of GoDaddy Bowl to get a feel for his style of play.
D-line is extremely thin...Your coach would be crazy not to ram the ball down the middle every time.
RB: Great, speedy back as a starter..after that who knows...our next thinnest position.
WR: Amazingly talented athletes. Not a lot of exp outside of McKissic.
OL: Lots of shuffling going on. Who knows if they will be comfortable in their new roles by gametime.
TE: Again, amazingly talented athletes...it's been so long around here since we used a TE effectively.. ](*,)

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:28 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
RustonCAT wrote: 1--2--3--4---Final
MSU. 07--07--03--00---21
ASU. 17--10--10--03---40
:shock:
I know people make fun of academics in Arkansas but this is ridiculous. same thing happens every year we play "up". 98% of the fanbase is great and there is always a few who have to come talking crap about how we have zero chance and how much better athletes you will have. although this is the first time I've heard the expression "borderline sec talent". :lol:

I'm assuming you're giving Arkansas state zero chance the two weeks after you play us when you get to travel to Tennessee ( :shock: :shock: they have ACTUAL sec talent) and then Miami! be honest...the fans of these two proud programs are looking at Arkansas state in the exact way you are looking at msu. :lol:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast