QB PREDICTIONS

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: QB PREDICTIONS

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:09 pm

Walk-on wrote:Jordan Johnson's athleticism, particularly his speed was the difference maker in last year's game. He was the MVP. He bought just enough extra time avoiding our pass rush to keep plays and drives alive. And he completed passes. I hope Prukop can do the same and earn the job. He and JJ are very comparable. Strong arms with beautiful releases and fast runners.
Jordan Johnson strong arm? Not to be a idiot but am I watching a different team when he is playing? The arm strength is the biggest knock on him, he doesn't have many flaws but his arm is average at best.

If your left, you aren’t right.

GRZSLAYER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by GRZSLAYER » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Walk-on wrote:Jordan Johnson's athleticism, particularly his speed was the difference maker in last year's game. He was the MVP. He bought just enough extra time avoiding our pass rush to keep plays and drives alive. And he completed passes. I hope Prukop can do the same and earn the job. He and JJ are very comparable. Strong arms with beautiful releases and fast runners.
Jordan Johnson strong arm? Not to be a idiot but am I watching a different team when he is playing? The arm strength is the biggest knock on him, he doesn't have many flaws but his arm is average at best.

To play a little more devils advocate I will say while Johnson's arm might not be his best feature it is still better than Bleskins.

Dakota Prukop -MSU Quarterback
Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver
I needed a change for one, but for two, I HAD to go to Coach Haucks rival school.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:53 pm

GRZSLAYER wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

To play a little more devils advocate I will say while Johnson's arm might not be his best feature it is still better than Bleskins.
I think that would be debatable but if you can make all the throws I don't care about your arm strength.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:04 pm

I would also say JJ is one of the more athletic QB's in the conference. He seems like he almost throws better on the run (ala Jake Plummer) than he does in the pocket. Last year he didn't run as much because of the offense and the O-Line was so solid but his last full year as a starter he averaged 5.7 ypc. I remember him having a 54 yard TD run, the guy can move when he has to, damn him.

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:54 pm

allcat wrote:I don't necessarily think that's true. Try running an option offense with Jared Lorenzen or Peyton Manning.

I don't even know who this Jared guy is so I'd agree with you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Lorenzen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This picture of physical fitness and athletic prowess is Jared Lorenzen. :lol:

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
GRZSLAYER wrote:This to me is a hard topic for many reasons. I believe Dakota is by far the best option and it really isn't that close. Jake is a good kid and an okay QB, but not a good enough athlete to be a starting Big Sky QB. I know this is a rather unpopular answer to all the die hard Montana folk on here but its the truth. He is a good QB and a great back up, but that is what he is. A backup. I think while Dakota may not be quite as good at the decision making he is coming along really fast and physically is light years ahead of Bleskin. Dakota didn't play a ton of high school ball so he is still somewhat raw but his upside is huge.

To me this decision has more affect on the program going forward than just who is QB. From last year all of us as fans have heard from news and people within the program that this year it will be the wide open Cramsey show. If that is to happen I think it has to be Prukop. I think if Bleskin ends up with the starting job it is because Ash put the brakes on the offense again and we are in for another season of the same. For the last few years now we have had several different OC's but nothing has changed. Ash even admitted last year to handcuffing Cramsey and I think that hurt us in the long run. Injuries aside. If Cramsey doesn't get full run of the offense this year I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave also after the season. I'm not trying to bash Ash in this but I do think the two go hand in hand in this decision.

While Cramsey said Bleskin is one of the smartest kids he's coached that could also be a subtle line for he's smart but not athletic enough. That is completely my take on it.

I'm excited to see how it turns out, but I am pulling for Prukop.
I don't understand the "Bleskin isn't a good enough athlete for big sky football" mentality? I have saw nothing from Bleskin suggesting he isn't athletic have you? He was a three sport star at CMR and not only did he have offers from bigger schools for football he had offers to play baseball as well. For me you don't need a real athletic quarterback to be a really good football team, no matter the type of offense. I don't care who wins the job, but I have a hard time trying to buy the argument 'Bleskin isn't athletic enough", I really do. Whomever wins the job, I hope the other quarterbacks tough it out and stay.
I don't necessarily think that's true. Try running an option offense with Jared Lorenzen or Peyton Manning.
We don't run the option and I can't remember any good teams in the last 5 years that actually ran a true option. It's a lost art which makes that point moot. You can be average speed and run a legit spread offense, we see that all the time.
You can't say than an un-athletic quarter back will work in ANY system or type of offense. It's a huge over-generalization.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:19 pm

Team10 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
GRZSLAYER wrote:This to me is a hard topic for many reasons. I believe Dakota is by far the best option and it really isn't that close. Jake is a good kid and an okay QB, but not a good enough athlete to be a starting Big Sky QB. I know this is a rather unpopular answer to all the die hard Montana folk on here but its the truth. He is a good QB and a great back up, but that is what he is. A backup. I think while Dakota may not be quite as good at the decision making he is coming along really fast and physically is light years ahead of Bleskin. Dakota didn't play a ton of high school ball so he is still somewhat raw but his upside is huge.

To me this decision has more affect on the program going forward than just who is QB. From last year all of us as fans have heard from news and people within the program that this year it will be the wide open Cramsey show. If that is to happen I think it has to be Prukop. I think if Bleskin ends up with the starting job it is because Ash put the brakes on the offense again and we are in for another season of the same. For the last few years now we have had several different OC's but nothing has changed. Ash even admitted last year to handcuffing Cramsey and I think that hurt us in the long run. Injuries aside. If Cramsey doesn't get full run of the offense this year I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave also after the season. I'm not trying to bash Ash in this but I do think the two go hand in hand in this decision.

While Cramsey said Bleskin is one of the smartest kids he's coached that could also be a subtle line for he's smart but not athletic enough. That is completely my take on it.

I don't understand the "Bleskin isn't a good enough athlete for big sky football" mentality? I have saw nothing from Bleskin suggesting he isn't athletic have you? He was a three sport star at CMR and not only did he have offers from bigger schools for football he had offers to play baseball as well. For me you don't need a real athletic quarterback to be a really good football team, no matter the type of offense. I don't care who wins the job, but I have a hard time trying to buy the argument 'Bleskin isn't athletic enough", I really do. Whomever wins the job, I hope the other quarterbacks tough it out and stay.
I don't necessarily think that's true. Try running an option offense with Jared Lorenzen or Peyton Manning.
We don't run the option and I can't remember any good teams in the last 5 years that actually ran a true option. It's a lost art which makes that point moot. You can be average speed and run a legit spread offense, we see that all the time.
How about Cal Poly? :-$ And the offense is a READ option, not a triple threat option, run out of the I or wing-t formation.
Definitely true about Cal Poly running a traditional 'triple option' - what we have run during Ash's tenure is a 'spread option'.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:52 pm

msuhunter wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

You can't say than an un-athletic quarter back will work in ANY system or type of offense. It's a huge over-generalization.
It probably is an over generalization, I'm sure you are better suited for offenses like Air Force, Cal Poly, and all the other true option teams if your a more athletic QB. We don't run that and the teams that run those systems don't seem to do as well as hybrid option teams and traditional offenses, so if that's a definition of an athletic QB, have at it. I will take a kid who can make the throws, and smart decisions, I don't care if it's a clone of Lorenzo or Manning. Teams seem to do better with those guys compared to a super athletic kid that people love watching dodge tackles for a 5 yard gain.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:54 am

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/ ... /13520723/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tribune article on MSU football opening camp by Scott Mansch focuses on QB spot. No solid timeframe for decision set. At least two weeks, but maybe a little longer.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:17 am

Colter had a great observation in his podcast. The qb who can play fast (get to line and make reads) is more important than a qb who can run fast.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:24 am

wbtfg wrote:Colter had a great observation in his podcast. The qb who can play fast (get to line and make reads) is more important than a qb who can run fast.
I heard that too. Obviously if that facet is close they'll lean to a speed guy.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:30 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
wbtfg wrote:Colter had a great observation in his podcast. The qb who can play fast (get to line and make reads) is more important than a qb who can run fast.
I heard that too. Obviously if that facet is close they'll lean to a speed guy.
Yeah....if everything is mostly equal, no doubt. Just adding another variable to the equation that I hadn't previously considered.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:33 am

Well ... yeah. Seems obvious. If otherwise, you'd put your fastest player who can somewhat throw the ball at QB.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:38 am

PapaG wrote:
Well ... yeah. Seems obvious. If otherwise, you'd put your fastest player who can somewhat throw the ball at QB.
Yeah....it's somewhat obvious when you think about it, but this Will really be the first year we run the true tempo spread offense. So it's a new variable for msu qbs

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:45 am

wbtfg wrote: Yeah....it's somewhat obvious when you think about it, but this Will really be the first year we run the true tempo spread offense. So it's a new variable for msu qbs
One thing about last season I'll never understand is why the Bobcats went away with the true "blur" offense that they showed in the opener. The offense was fast, efficient, and rolling, and then starting somewhere in the 4th quarter of that game, we never saw that tempo again. Seems like a mistake when you have a QB like McGhee to run Cramsey's offense. A wasted year on offense, basically.

What a ride

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:50 am

PapaG wrote:
wbtfg wrote: Yeah....it's somewhat obvious when you think about it, but this Will really be the first year we run the true tempo spread offense. So it's a new variable for msu qbs
One thing about last season I'll never understand is why the Bobcats went away with the true "blur" offense that they showed in the opener. The offense was fast, efficient, and rolling, and then starting somewhere in the 4th quarter of that game, we never saw that tempo again. Seems like a mistake when you have a QB like McGhee to run Cramsey's offense. A wasted year on offense, basically.
Agreed....reading between lines on stories and podcasts it sounds like McGhee was never comfortable in the New offense and due to lack of experience at center, McGhee was reading coverages as well D fronts and calling the protections (something that the Center usually does). I assume that really slowed down offense.
Last edited by wbtfg on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:16 pm

wbtfg wrote: Agreed....reading between lines on stories and podcasts it sounds like McGhee was never comfortable in the New offense and due to lack of experience at center, McGhee was reading coverages as well D fronts and calling the protections. I assume that really slowed down offense.
That makes sense. Going fast only works when you know where the weak spot in the defense is. If you can't figure out which player to leave unblocked on a read option, there is no use snapping the ball.

What a ride

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:30 am

So if all these QB's truly are neck and neck, especially with McQueary. You gotta play the young guy right?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:26 am

I don't think they're neck and neck. Ash said he will give them all an equal chance at the job for the first week or two of drills, that's it.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:35 am

I mean if it comes down to that the coaches believe they are neck and neck and still having trouble deciding at the end of this two week evaluation period. You would think the nod goes to the younger of the two (or three). Just think of how valuable of an experience this is if Prukop or McQueary gets the start now when they are Juniors/Seniors. This is again, if the race is very close. If Bleskin is the obvious best choice then I am 100% behind him.