QB PREDICTIONS

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GRZSLAYER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: QB PREDICTIONS

Post by GRZSLAYER » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:47 am

This to me is a hard topic for many reasons. I believe Dakota is by far the best option and it really isn't that close. Jake is a good kid and an okay QB, but not a good enough athlete to be a starting Big Sky QB. I know this is a rather unpopular answer to all the die hard Montana folk on here but its the truth. He is a good QB and a great back up, but that is what he is. A backup. I think while Dakota may not be quite as good at the decision making he is coming along really fast and physically is light years ahead of Bleskin. Dakota didn't play a ton of high school ball so he is still somewhat raw but his upside is huge.

To me this decision has more affect on the program going forward than just who is QB. From last year all of us as fans have heard from news and people within the program that this year it will be the wide open Cramsey show. If that is to happen I think it has to be Prukop. I think if Bleskin ends up with the starting job it is because Ash put the brakes on the offense again and we are in for another season of the same. For the last few years now we have had several different OC's but nothing has changed. Ash even admitted last year to handcuffing Cramsey and I think that hurt us in the long run. Injuries aside. If Cramsey doesn't get full run of the offense this year I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave also after the season. I'm not trying to bash Ash in this but I do think the two go hand in hand in this decision.

While Cramsey said Bleskin is one of the smartest kids he's coached that could also be a subtle line for he's smart but not athletic enough. That is completely my take on it.

I'm excited to see how it turns out, but I am pulling for Prukop.

Dakota Prukop -MSU Quarterback
Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver
I needed a change for one, but for two, I HAD to go to Coach Haucks rival school.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 am

GRZSLAYER wrote:This to me is a hard topic for many reasons. I believe Dakota is by far the best option and it really isn't that close. Jake is a good kid and an okay QB, but not a good enough athlete to be a starting Big Sky QB. I know this is a rather unpopular answer to all the die hard Montana folk on here but its the truth. He is a good QB and a great back up, but that is what he is. A backup. I think while Dakota may not be quite as good at the decision making he is coming along really fast and physically is light years ahead of Bleskin. Dakota didn't play a ton of high school ball so he is still somewhat raw but his upside is huge.

To me this decision has more affect on the program going forward than just who is QB. From last year all of us as fans have heard from news and people within the program that this year it will be the wide open Cramsey show. If that is to happen I think it has to be Prukop. I think if Bleskin ends up with the starting job it is because Ash put the brakes on the offense again and we are in for another season of the same. For the last few years now we have had several different OC's but nothing has changed. Ash even admitted last year to handcuffing Cramsey and I think that hurt us in the long run. Injuries aside. If Cramsey doesn't get full run of the offense this year I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave also after the season. I'm not trying to bash Ash in this but I do think the two go hand in hand in this decision.

While Cramsey said Bleskin is one of the smartest kids he's coached that could also be a subtle line for he's smart but not athletic enough. That is completely my take on it.

I don't understand the "Bleskin isn't a good enough athlete for big sky football" mentality? I have saw nothing from Bleskin suggesting he isn't athletic have you? He was a three sport star at CMR and not only did he have offers from bigger schools for football he had offers to play baseball as well. For me you don't need a real athletic quarterback to be a really good football team, no matter the type of offense. I don't care who wins the job, but I have a hard time trying to buy the argument 'Bleskin isn't athletic enough", I really do. Whomever wins the job, I hope the other quarterbacks tough it out and stay.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:11 am

Marana CAT wrote:If Coach Ash pulls the trigger to early on naming the #1 QB is there a chance the #2 leaves the program this fall? Pretty sure both have reached out to connections at other schools and has a plan B.
Pretty sure or just guessing?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:20 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
GRZSLAYER wrote:This to me is a hard topic for many reasons. I believe Dakota is by far the best option and it really isn't that close. Jake is a good kid and an okay QB, but not a good enough athlete to be a starting Big Sky QB. I know this is a rather unpopular answer to all the die hard Montana folk on here but its the truth. He is a good QB and a great back up, but that is what he is. A backup. I think while Dakota may not be quite as good at the decision making he is coming along really fast and physically is light years ahead of Bleskin. Dakota didn't play a ton of high school ball so he is still somewhat raw but his upside is huge.

I don't understand the "Bleskin isn't a good enough athlete for big sky football" mentality? I have saw nothing from Bleskin suggesting he isn't athletic have you? He was a three sport star at CMR and not only did he have offers from bigger schools for football he had offers to play baseball as well. For me you don't need a real athletic quarterback to be a really good football team, no matter the type of offense. I don't care who wins the job, but I have a hard time trying to buy the argument 'Bleskin isn't athletic enough", I really do. Whomever wins the job, I hope the other quarterbacks tough it out and stay.
I agree here. Bleskin is actually a pretty damn good athlete. Of course when you compare him to DM, in terms of shiftiness and pure speed, he wasn't quite at that level... but not many people are. You saw some flashes of him being able to run last year. I think the other thing you have to consider is that BECAUSE he is so smart, and goes where he's supposed to go with the football 99% of the time, there is no need to run, unless the line doesn't do their job, which I don't think is going to happen very often in 2014.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GRZSLAYER

Post by GRZSLAYER » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:36 am

I'm not trying to knock Bleskin. But when you put them shoulder to shoulder in practice and drills. Prukop is always the better qb physically. It's not like Prukop isn't smart enough and the coaches have admitted he has come a long way in learning the position. No he hasn't been a QB as long as Bleskin, but if you compared them physically Prukop is ahead. His arm strength is noticeable better. He has become very accurate and his ability to run outside of the pocket is way ahead of Bleskin. That is also a key in Cramseys offense.

Mcghee even said after a few drills he would look over to his side and Prukop was step for step with him if not ahead of him in a few. I'm not trying to beat down Bleskin. But I think if Cramsey does get his way which is also a big part of my post as to the future of the program. If not the biggest key to its future success Prukop has to be the guy. I think Bleskin is more of a pocket passer and game manager. Just because I want Prukop or think he is the better QB doesn't mean he or Bleskin will succeed either. Only game time will decide that.

I also have very high expectations for our O-Line this year. Especially with the running backs we have. But I also feel like all of Bobcat Nation has had high expectations for the O-line and the last few years they have really under achieved. We have had to use an extra tight end or a Tray Robinson to make our running game or qb protection serviceable. I would love to see the front five take over a game which would only help our offense open up and thrive.

Like I said earlier I'm excited to see what happens because it will be a sign of our program going forward.

Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver
I needed a change for one, but for two, I HAD to go to Coach Haucks rival school.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:16 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:If Coach Ash pulls the trigger to early on naming the #1 QB is there a chance the #2 leaves the program this fall? Pretty sure both have reached out to connections at other schools and has a plan B. It maybe selfish thinking but I like the idea of playing the top two QB's in the first two games and don't name the true #1 until the Central game. That way we have a better chance of keeping a solid #2 this year and possibly next. I would love to see a Montana kid lead this team but if Dakota is the true #1 I'm cool with it and will support him all the way..
O I think there is a real good chance one of the QB's transfers if they don't get the starting nod. I have thought this since last year, I think it would suck, but it's definitely a possibility.
I've always sort of suspected that may be the only reason they didn't name Prukop as the starter at the end of spring drills. It seems like most everyone who actually watched the practices felt that he clearly won the job. But if they had publicly announced that he would be the starter, we probably would have lost Bleskin over the summer. That may seem a bit cynical, but I think it would be naive to think that wasn't part of their thought process.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:43 am

I'm hoping McQuery (Sp?) wins the starting spot. Only because IF that happens... and he beats out Prukop/Bleskin as a redshirt freshman... that means he is frickin Legit!

I mentioned this before- but after the season ended last year I was talking to one of the seniors that just finished up. I asked him who he thought would be the starting QB next year- without hesitation he said "Quinn McQuery,no question!" And it was not a slight on the other guys, he just said that Quinn is THAT good.

Now with all that being said... my prediction is Prukop. :D

FTG- GO CATS GO!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:50 am

mslacatfan wrote:I'm hoping McQuery (Sp?) wins the starting spot. Only because IF that happens... and he beats out Prukop/Bleskin as a redshirt freshman... that means he is frickin Legit!

I mentioned this before- but after the season ended last year I was talking to one of the seniors that just finished up. I asked him who he thought would be the starting QB next year- without hesitation he said "Quinn McQuery,no question!" And it was not a slight on the other guys, he just said that Quinn is THAT good.
I heard something similar last month from a player's dad - Which really surprised me since QM missed most of spring. But again it was just his opinion.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:55 am

So, hypothetically, if McQuery has an unbelievable fall camp and is the unquestioned #1 . Then using some peoples opinions. Wouldn't both Bleskin and Prukop then transfer? :coffee:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:59 am

Hawks86 wrote:So, hypothetically, if McQuery has an unbelievable fall camp and is the unquestioned #1 . Then using some peoples opinions. Wouldn't both Bleskin and Prukop then transfer? :coffee:
Nah, we'll just have a couple more wide receivers.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

GRZSLAYER

Post by GRZSLAYER » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:11 am

mslacatfan wrote:I'm hoping McQuery (Sp?) wins the starting spot. Only because IF that happens... and he beats out Prukop/Bleskin as a redshirt freshman... that means he is frickin Legit!

Now with all that being said... my prediction is Prukop. :D

This is interesting msla because I have heard similar things but don't know what to think of them. I know Mcquery was a stud on the scout team last year, but with missing the spring I still don't remember seeing him on in a uniform yet. So far Mcquery is nothing more than this mythical creature we only hear whispers about so I am definitely interested to see him throw a ball and run around to see what he can do.

But like you that being said I vote Prukop. We would still have 3 years of him unless Mcquery would unseat him in future years.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver

BobcatLifer
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatLifer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:41 am

GRZSLAYER wrote:I'm not trying to knock Bleskin. But when you put them shoulder to shoulder in practice and drills. Prukop is always the better qb physically. It's not like Prukop isn't smart enough and the coaches have admitted he has come a long way in learning the position. No he hasn't been a QB as long as Bleskin, but if you compared them physically Prukop is ahead. His arm strength is noticeable better. He has become very accurate and his ability to run outside of the pocket is way ahead of Bleskin. That is also a key in Cramseys offense.

Mcghee even said after a few drills he would look over to his side and Prukop was step for step with him if not ahead of him in a few. I'm not trying to beat down Bleskin. But I think if Cramsey does get his way which is also a big part of my post as to the future of the program. If not the biggest key to its future success Prukop has to be the guy. I think Bleskin is more of a pocket passer and game manager. Just because I want Prukop or think he is the better QB doesn't mean he or Bleskin will succeed either. Only game time will decide that.

I also have very high expectations for our O-Line this year. Especially with the running backs we have. But I also feel like all of Bobcat Nation has had high expectations for the O-line and the last few years they have really under achieved. We have had to use an extra tight end or a Tray Robinson to make our running game or qb protection serviceable. I would love to see the front five take over a game which would only help our offense open up and thrive.

Like I said earlier I'm excited to see what happens because it will be a sign of our program going forward.
From what I have heard, read and seen. It sounds like most view Bleskin as more of an Alex Smith type QB? Game manager, can make some plays with his feet when he has too, but not going to make the huge/impact play? Although Bleskin is more willing to throw the ball downfield than Smith as evident from last year, but I don't remember him connecting on that many.

MSUCan Do It!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:46 am

If Cramsey truly runs the chip kelly offense, would bleskin be the equivalent to Nick Foles?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:31 pm

If we pick right do we win something? Maybe we will get to push the button that starts the coun tdown clock. It is almost time to start a countdown clock thread isn't it?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

I don't necessarily think that's true. Try running an option offense with Jared Lorenzen or Peyton Manning.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 pm

I don't necessarily think that's true. Try running an option offense with Jared Lorenzen or Peyton Manning.

I don't even know who this Jared guy is so I'd agree with you.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:40 pm

msuhunter wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

We don't run the option and I can't remember any good teams in the last 5 years that actually ran a true option. It's a lost art which makes that point moot. You can be average speed and run a legit spread offense, we see that all the time.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

We don't run the option and I can't remember any good teams in the last 5 years that actually ran a true option. It's a lost art which makes that point moot. You can be average speed and run a legit spread offense, we see that all the time.
How about Cal Poly? :-$ And the offense is a READ option, not a triple threat option, run out of the I or wing-t formation.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:24 pm

Team10 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

How about Cal Poly? :-$ And the offense is a READ option, not a triple threat option, run out of the I or wing-t formation.
I watched a few of their games last year, I don't remember their quarterback being that athletic. Jordan Johnson isn't super athletic hell I would say he is an average athlete.He is a pretty damn good quarterback that can run the spread offense and when they run READ options he is tough as well. In my opinion and it's just that mine, having a super athletic quarterback is just another overrated term fans throw around, and at the end of the day making smart decisions and being able throw the ball accurately trumps athleticism at that position every time.

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:04 pm

Jordan Johnson's athleticism, particularly his speed was the difference maker in last year's game. He was the MVP. He bought just enough extra time avoiding our pass rush to keep plays and drives alive. And he completed passes. I hope Prukop can do the same and earn the job. He and JJ are very comparable. Strong arms with beautiful releases and fast runners.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire