QB PREDICTIONS

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB PREDICTIONS

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:18 pm

McGhee injured his shoulder and knee in the same season. His arm wasn't 100% after he hurt it vs. SMU and he hurt his knee either in the UNC, EWU or So. Utah game. I know when I'm hurt I can type on this computer as well, so have a heart folks. :wink:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catman50
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by catman50 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:30 pm

TomCat88 wrote:McGhee injured his shoulder and knee in the same season. His arm wasn't 100% after he hurt it vs. SMU and he hurt his knee either in the UNC, EWU or So. Utah game. I know when I'm hurt I can type on this computer as well, so have a heart folks. :wink:
Understood, and, my point is that sweeping comments like those made previously just don't tell the whole story.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:39 pm

TomCat88 wrote:McGhee injured his shoulder and knee in the same season. His arm wasn't 100% after he hurt it vs. SMU and he hurt his knee either in the UNC, EWU or So. Utah game. I know when I'm hurt I can type on this computer as well, so have a heart folks. :wink:
Tom, I've seen you. You are youthful and athletic in appearance. I would expect you to type without hinderance, No excuses. [-X

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:36 pm

I wasn't necessarily laying all the blame for McGhee's inconsistent play solely on his shoulders. Rather I suspect that it was a combination of factors, one of which being that he and Cramsey may not have been on the same page at times. The reason that I don't put it all on his injuries, is that the ups and downs in his play seemed to be so random. He initially got hurt at SMU, but once he came back he had very good games against UND, WSU, and UCD, while he struggled against NAU and NCU. Then he played great again against EWU, but wasn't very good against SUU or UM. The consensus seems to be that the knee injury happened in the SUU game, although I'm not sure at exactly what point, but he played his best in the 4th quarter, after struggling through the first three quarters. Same thing against UM...he played poorly for most of the game, but then finally got going in the 4th quarter. I'm not saying the injuries weren't a factor at all...just that I don't believe they tell the whole story.

Getting back to the point of how our QB play will be this season, versus previous years, I think it's very possible that it will be better, or at least more consistent, than McGhee circa 2013, but it might be hard to replicate what we saw from him in 2010-12.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:21 pm

I'd like to hear x_cat's opinion on Cramsey/McGhee/Ash.

Oh wait, he doesn't post here anymore. :roll:

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:55 pm

I am with Johnny K. If our quarterback play is even minutely better than last year we will be just fine. It maybe blasphemy to also agree with him in that all of his woes were not all on the O-Line or his injuries but I will go ahead and do that too (even though he didn't specifically point out the O-Line). It may have been a lack of chemistry or D Mac not being comfortable in the offense but in my opinion he made a lot of bad reads/decisions - and ultimately he regressed under Cramsey's offense. Having to deal with so many different OC's and schemes will do that to a guy!

That said, my money is definitely on Prukop to win the job. I just get the feeling that Cramsey's offense is tailor-made for his style of play. It is also worth keeping in mind that we will have three years with Prukop under center opposed to two with Jake. If they are even remotely even in the competition, why not give the kid with three years to play a chance over the kid with two to play? I am a Great Falls guy and would love nothing more than to see Bleskin be the starter and lead us to the promise land but from what I have seen I am not sure he has the chops to do it in the situation he is currently in. If we were running a pro-style offense, which is what he is perfectly suited for, there would be no doubt that he would have the ability to get us there. Unfortunately for him the scheme changed after he was recruited.

In any case, we will be a dangerous team the next few years. I think we go 6-2 in conference and lose only one OOC (we will beat the beagles - this team is too prideful and talented to allow them to win on our field after last year's debacle). Not sure if we will host a home game in the playoffs but we will be there. Mark it down!!! Go Cats!!! \:D/

codecat
Member # Retired

Re: Re:

Post by codecat » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
John K wrote:
catatac wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
catatac wrote:It's funny, because I have so many Griz fan buddies that think we're gonna take a huge step back at the QB position because we lose DM. He was a damn good QB and we all know what kind of magic he worked when he was out there. All that being said, I'll keep saying this until I'm blue in the face, but we'll be better at QB in 2014 than we were in 2013... probably considerably better. Lastly, yes I'm probably biased in saying this but I strongly believe we'll have the best backup QB in the Big Sky, whichever of the three it ends up being. If I'm wrong, tell me who is better. Please don't say UM because we've all seen what SSH can do.
I like the enthusiasm but we will not be better at quarterback this year compared to last year. You don't replace an All-American, All-Big Sky, and a two time Big Sky offensive MVP and become better. People's expectations for DM were so high that they forget how good he actually was. We saw what happened when he went down and Bleskin had to play, we weren't even as close to being as efficient on offense. Give the new guys time and they should pan out, but next year we won't be better at QB, and I'm really nervous because I don't think the team will be even close to as good as last years team. I will be at every game but I'm really nervous to see how the season pans out. We had proven All-Americans and All-Big Sky players last year, so blast me if you want, but I think the reasoning for my skepticism is there.
Ok, so agree to disagree... we'll just see how things play out. However, I'd be willing to bet a bottle of Maker's Mark that I'm right. Let me know which stats you think are most important in terms of QB play, and I just think we do better in 2014 than 2013. I don't remember all the exact stats except 8 TD's to 4 ints, maybe 250 passing yards per game, bout 2,000 total yards... 7 wins.
I would say the real key is that we need more consistent QB play than we had last season. For whatever reason, D-Mac was wildly inconsistent last year. The perception seems to be that he was ineffective all season, or at least most of it. If you go back and look at the stats though, he played very well in most of the games, but it seemed like when he struggled, he really struggled, and I don't buy that it was solely due to injuries. Whoever wins the job, I don't think he necessarily has to be spectacular, but he will have to be more consistent than DM was last year. With better QB play, we definitely would have beaten SUU, and probably UM too.
I think that is a perfect example of people having unrealistic expectations for DM. He was absolutely running for his life those two games, and I for one put those loses exclusively on the Oline and the absolute lack of any type of push up the middle on defense, zero push the whole stinking year!

Catatac how about we do the wager simply on wins and losses. Going into DM first year I don't think we were even ranked and probably picked around 3rd in the big sky, so the circumstances are about the same for the new QBs.What ya say?
I have to agree with you guys that it was not only injuries last year that caused our offensive woe, and would put equal fault on Mac's Oline too(of course they were young but Mac has no excuses this year).

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:14 pm

catman50 wrote:
Understood, and, my point is that sweeping comments like those made previously just don't tell the whole story.
I agree 100%. It's a team game. You win and lose as a team. Yet you constantly hear people talking about how many championships individuals on teams have won. I say Jordan didn't win any NBA titles, but the Chicago Bulls won six. The weakest link on a team is a bigger key than the team MVP. QBs that do nothing but hand off have won as many championships as QB that throw for 4,000 yards a year. A QB can't win it all by himself, neither can the OL or the defense. Once players start thinking their QB or anyone else is going to bail them out that team is in trouble. If a player doesn't realize he's as big a part of winning as anyone else on the team, it's a problem.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:34 pm

per the original question

Prukop

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote: I like the enthusiasm but we will not be better at quarterback this year compared to last year. You don't replace an All-American, All-Big Sky, and a two time Big Sky offensive MVP and become better. People's expectations for DM were so high that they forget how good he actually was. We saw what happened when he went down and Bleskin had to play, we weren't even as close to being as efficient on offense. Give the new guys time and they should pan out, but next year we won't be better at QB, and I'm really nervous because I don't think the team will be even close to as good as last years team. I will be at every game but I'm really nervous to see how the season pans out. We had proven All-Americans and All-Big Sky players last year, so blast me if you want, but I think the reasoning for my skepticism is there.
This is essentially what I think as well. I still don't think we have the bodies up front to be dominant, having Flynn will help though. I think we will see both Prukop and Bleskin during the season looking for the hot hand, They will both struggle.

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

Bobcat Jim
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Jim » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:59 am

Prukop will start and will do a great job. I am excited to see what he will do.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:32 am

I also think DK will emerge. Bleskin may be more game ready at this time, but that gap is closing. Prukop was such a raw talent in high school, that he just needed some time to refine his game, get some good teaching, and now just needs to get his feet wet. His upside is huge. We may have some growing pains with him in there but I think by the time conference play rolls around we will see that he can bring a very dynamic skillset to the table.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:44 am

Brains and decision making, Bleskin is way ahead. Raw athletic talent is Prukop. I'm leaning towards the brain.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:47 am

Decision will be made based on who can accurately deliver the ball on time.

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:19 am

wbtfg wrote:Decision will be made based on who can accurately deliver the ball on time.
....And protect the football. Prukop was very sloppy with it during the Sonny Holland game. Defenders will strip him, if they can catch up with him. He's fast. Bleskin missed some open targets and threw a pick. I agree that it is currently a choice between Prukop's raw talent and a more-polished Bleskin. All things equal, the better/faster athlete will play.

Who will manage the game, not be tentative, make less mistakes, and lead? It could take couple of scrimmages and even pre-season games to shake out, like the battle between Carpenter and Rolovich. Carpenter must have done something right in practice but Rolovich was clearly a better player come game time. This may be the way our current battle shakes out. I just hope its not decided on somebody not being able to protect the football or is indecisive/tentative. I think they both can be better passers than DM.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:54 am

"Catatac how about we do the wager simply on wins and losses. Going into DM first year I don't think we were even ranked and probably picked around 3rd in the big sky, so the circumstances are about the same for the new QBs.What ya say?"

Ok, tell you what. Let's put two bottles on the season. One for total wins as you suggest, so if we win more than 7 games I win. We'll also put a bottle on TD passes, if we throw more than 8 TD's I win. Or total yards, over 2,000... whichever meaningful QB stat you want to use?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

basincat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by basincat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:11 am

I'm not sure who will start. I think we'll see both. I know people on here don't give Bleskin nearly enough credit and give Prukop way too much credit for being a little more athletic. Not as if Bleskin is by any means slow or a bad athlete.

Another point that everyone seems to make is that Prukop fits Cramsey's offense better. Well Cramsey is a product of Chip Kelly. Everyone said Chip Kelly needed Michael Vick to run his offense for the Eagles last year. Look what happened. They didn't start winning games until they put in the much less athletic Nick Foles who is now their franchise quarterback, under the Chip Kelly offense. You have to be able to throw the ball and make smart decisions to win football games. I don't think Prukop is at Bleskin's level in those areas yet. Only time will tell.

And who the hell started this thread again, right before camp. Let's just wait and see how it plays out, and hope they steal the spotlight like DM his first year.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:14 am

catatac wrote:"Catatac how about we do the wager simply on wins and losses. Going into DM first year I don't think we were even ranked and probably picked around 3rd in the big sky, so the circumstances are about the same for the new QBs.What ya say?"

Ok, tell you what. Let's put two bottles on the season. One for total wins as you suggest, so if we win more than 7 games I win. We'll also put a bottle on TD passes, if we throw more than 8 TD's I win. Or total yards, over 2,000... whichever meaningful QB stat you want to use?
Well since your gonna let me have the wins I will let you pick TDs or yards. I think DM would of been well over both if he wouldn't of had to sit out games due to his shoulder, but a bets a bet.

I hope I lose both by the way!

If your left, you aren’t right.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:43 am

basincat wrote:I'm not sure who will start. I think we'll see both. I know people on here don't give Bleskin nearly enough credit and give Prukop way too much credit for being a little more athletic. Not as if Bleskin is by any means slow or a bad athlete.

Another point that everyone seems to make is that Prukop fits Cramsey's offense better. Well Cramsey is a product of Chip Kelly. Everyone said Chip Kelly needed Michael Vick to run his offense for the Eagles last year. Look what happened. They didn't start winning games until they put in the much less athletic Nick Foles who is now their franchise quarterback, under the Chip Kelly offense. You have to be able to throw the ball and make smart decisions to win football games. I don't think Prukop is at Bleskin's level in those areas yet. Only time will tell.

And who the hell started this thread again, right before camp. Let's just wait and see how it plays out, and hope they steal the spotlight like DM his first year.
You make a very good point on the Chip Kelly offense. I haven't seen enough of Prukop in practice yet to make a call either way, but may the best QB win. Bleskin does throw a very nice ball so who knows if the OL can be dominant and give the QB time, then I think either QB they put in there will be successful.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:11 am

Nobody is giving McQueary a chance? He did miss most of spring practice so I can't say I disagree.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk