2014 BSC Season Predictions: Week 11

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RustonCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: 2014 BSC Season Predictions: Week 11

Post by RustonCAT » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:02 pm

09griz wrote:
RustonCAT wrote: I'm not sure why we are arguing about beating FBS school bc 99% chance neither wins the FBS game this year.
haha, your probably right man
That 1% goes to Montana. Cats are playing a team that has only lost 11 games in 3 years. To teams: Auburn and mizzou aka SeC division champs, Oregon and Nebraska, Illinois, Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois in their prime. So that puts them at 28-4 against other FBS schools.

They are 22-6 against fcs opponents however their last loss to FCS was 2001 when they were one of the newest FBS teams

It's not hard to see the toughness of that game

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:02 pm

09griz wrote:
TomCat88 wrote: So you win 21-14 after outscoring Wyoming 10-7 in OT? Help me with the math on that.
JJ to Ellis in OT...
TomCat88 wrote: most of those games went down to the wire during an era when UM went to two NC games and was in the midst of 12 straight league titles.
Ahhhhh...say it again :) :) :)
TomCat88 wrote: The 2014 UM isn't as good as those teams playing Idaho and those Idaho teams (11 wins in four seasons from 2000-03) are worse than this 2014 Wyoming team.
OBJECTION.....speculation...
TomCat88 wrote: I just want to know how it's OK for you to predict UM to beat a FBS team not named Idaho for the first time since 1994, but it's not OK for you to lose to EWU on the road by 23 just because it hasn't happened since the 52-9 loss to WIU? Doesn't make sense for you to be critical of one, but not the other.
I guess I'm just crazy like that :shock: \:D/
You can't win by 7 in OT if you only outscore the other team by 3 in OT. No speculation there.

Say again? UM was a lot better during those four years than the past four. No speculation there.

Crazy, yes, we agree on that. :) :wink:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

09griz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 09griz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:15 pm

TomCat88 wrote: You can't win by 7 in OT if you only outscore the other team by 3 in OT. No speculation there.
We're just having a miscommunication TomCat... 10-7 is known in Griz world as Jordan Johnson (#10) to Ellis Henderson (#7). It's been the duel that has won us some clutch games. I'm just predicting that it will be JJ to Ellis that will put us up 21-14 for the OT win.
TomCat88 wrote: Say again? UM was a lot better during those four years than the past four. No speculation there.
Yeah but who knows for '14? The Griz could very well be back and Wyo could easily be down with everything considered....
TomCat88 wrote: Crazy, yes, we agree on that. :) :wink:
Agreed 8)
RustonCAT wrote:
09griz wrote:
RustonCAT wrote: I'm not sure why we are arguing about beating FBS school bc 99% chance neither wins the FBS game this year.
That 1% goes to Montana. Cats are playing a team that has only lost 11 games in 3 years. To teams: Auburn and mizzou aka SeC division champs, Oregon and Nebraska, Illinois, Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois in their prime. So that puts them at 28-4 against other FBS schools.

They are 22-6 against fcs opponents however their last loss to FCS was 2001 when they were one of the newest FBS teams

ark st. should be a very tough opponent
Now, with all that said...........with all do respect.........................FTC :D 8) :wink:

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:02 am

Well Tom, it seems you've found the formula for initiating discussion of your weekly predictions. Just predict the griz lose by 20+ points every week. :lol: :lol:

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

AJWILDCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by AJWILDCAT » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:04 am

TomCat88 wrote:The season is winding down and a pair of matchups pitting No. 1 EWU vs. No. 2 UM and No. 3 PSU at No. 4 MSU. SAC hosts So. Utah in a battle to stay in the hunt.

Southern Utah at Sacramento State: The Hornets come up with a big win at home in this one. Hornets 38, T-Birds 21.

Cal Poly at Idaho State: The Mustangs run their record to 5-2 in the league with a win over a feisty Bengal squad. CP 27, ISU 24.

Weber State at North Dakota: The Sioux break through with their first league win of the season over the Wildcats, who still search for their first win. WSU 21, UND 17.

Montana at Eastern Washington: A mega-tilt becomes a mega-dud as UM can't keep up with the Eagles, who remain perfect in the league and haven't lost a BSC game since 2012. EWU 47, UM 24.

Portland State at Montana State: PSU had been flying high, but the Bobcats bring them down to earth a bit in another game that doesn't live up to its billing. MSU 31, PSU 14.

UC Davis at NAU: From close to sea level to 7,000 feet isn't good for the Aggies. NAU 28, UC Davis 24.

BSC Standings:
.....Conf...All
EWU 7-0, 10-1
MSU 5-1, 8-2
UM 5-1, 7-3
Poly 5-2, 7-3
PSU 5-2, 6-4
SAC 4-2, 7-3
NAU 3-3, 6-4
SUU 2-3, 3-7
ISU 1-5, 3-7
UCD 1-5, 2-7
UND 1-5, 2-9
UNC 0-5, 1-8
WSU 0-6, 0-10
I will call my shot right now. With all the D1 transfers that WSU is adding, there is NO CHANCE IN HELL they go 0-10 [-X

RustonCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by RustonCAT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:26 pm

09griz wrote:
TomCat88 wrote: You can't win by 7 in OT if you only outscore the other team by 3 in OT. No speculation there.
We're just having a miscommunication TomCat... 10-7 is known in Griz world as Jordan Johnson (#10) to Ellis Henderson (#7). It's been the duel that has won us some clutch games. I'm just predicting that it will be JJ to Ellis that will put us up 21-14 for the OT win.
TomCat88 wrote: Say again? UM was a lot better during those four years than the past four. No speculation there.
Yeah but who knows for '14? The Griz could very well be back and Wyo could easily be down with everything considered....
TomCat88 wrote: Crazy, yes, we agree on that. :) :wink:
Agreed 8)
RustonCAT wrote:
09griz wrote:

ark st. should be a very tough opponent
Now, with all that said...........with all do respect.........................FTC :D 8) :wink:
09griz, Tomcat seems to have your number bud! Even I know UMontana is way down and I don't even keep up with you guys.

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:28 am

He had to pick us losing big to EWU this week, how else do you expect them to keep MSU in the BSC running with the ****** team theyre going to have this year. But with this guys picks, hell would you look at that...theyre in 2nd right at the top...when we all know..by week 7....the kitties are licking their wounds and thinking about next season.

grizhunter
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizhunter » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:54 am

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:He had to pick us losing big to EWU this week, how else do you expect them to keep MSU in the BSC running with the ****** team theyre going to have this year. But with this guys picks, hell would you look at that...theyre in 2nd right at the top...when we all know..by week 7....the kitties are licking their wounds and thinking about next season.
tough morning? 8-[

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:38 am

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:He had to pick us losing big to EWU this week, how else do you expect them to keep MSU in the BSC running with the ****** team theyre going to have this year. But with this guys picks, hell would you look at that...theyre in 2nd right at the top...when we all know..by week 7....the kitties are licking their wounds and thinking about next season.
well Tom is probably a psychic and a seer, so this is really a done deal.. It might be time to get off the gritz bandwagon and start watching English premier League.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:49 am

You think picking EWU over UM is a stretch? You think picking MSU second through this part of the season is a stretch? You, my friend, are not good at history.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:35 am

grizhunter wrote:
tough morning? 8-[
LOL! =D^

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:37 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGbqGkS1c2w

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Not sure what all the whining is about. :wink: I have the Griz at 8-3 losing to EWU, Wyoming and NDSU on the road. I have them beating Poly (a team I have MSU losing to) on the road, SAC and USD at home. They barely beat USD last year, but I have them winning 49-10. Despite the score EWU (a team I have MSU losing to at home) beat them handily last year in Missoula and I have them winning by 23 this year at home after they were up by 25, 42-17, with under 10 minutes to play. Wyoming is an FBS team that returns a good defense and I only have UM losing 20-13, and NDSU is the 3-time defending champ and I have that at 38-27. :shrug: Read through that again and tell me its unreasonable.

UM lost at least four and possibly five of its offensive linemen, including the TE, and three of them got NFL tryouts. They also lost three All-BSC LBs and two of them are in NFL camps and two other All-BSC defensive players. I think 8-3 at this point in the season is pretty respectful. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to have them winning any of those three road games considering all that. Who knows maybe the replacements will be just as good or better, but even if they were that wouldn't discount the fact that UM was a gnat's hair (KO return for TD with a minute to play; and blocked game-icing FG) from being 8-4 last year with those guys. They also only beat one team with a winning record last year.

The biggest upset I have in all my picks is MSU over Arkansas State. I'm calling it by the same score (19-10) as MSU beat Colorado by in 2006, because the game reminds me of that game. It was the year after Lulay (McGhee) graduated, a year after we missed the playoffs (2005) after making it in back-to-back years and Arkansas State has a new coach (Colorado picked up Hawkins in 2006). A lot of similarities, so I thought I'd have some fun with it. :)

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:30 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Not sure what all the whining is about. :wink: I have the Griz at 8-3 losing to EWU, Wyoming and NDSU on the road. I have them beating Poly (a team I have MSU losing to) on the road, SAC and USD at home. They barely beat USD last year, but I have them winning 49-10. Despite the score EWU (a team I have MSU losing to at home) beat them handily last year in Missoula and I have them winning by 23 this year at home after they were up by 25, 42-17, with under 10 minutes to play. Wyoming is an FBS team that returns a good defense and I only have UM losing 20-13, and NDSU is the 3-time defending champ and I have that at 38-27. :shrug: Read through that again and tell me its unreasonable.

UM lost at least four and possibly five of its offensive linemen, including the TE, and three of them got NFL tryouts. They also lost three All-BSC LBs and two of them are in NFL camps and two other All-BSC defensive players. I think 8-3 at this point in the season is pretty respectful. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to have them winning any of those three road games considering all that. Who knows maybe the replacements will be just as good or better, but even if they were that wouldn't discount the fact that UM was a gnat's hair (KO return for TD with a minute to play; and blocked game-icing FG) from being 8-4 last year with those guys. They also only beat one team with a winning record last year.

The biggest upset I have in all my picks is MSU over Arkansas State. I'm calling it by the same score (19-10) as MSU beat Colorado by in 2006, because the game reminds me of that game. It was the year after Lulay (McGhee) graduated, a year after we missed the playoffs (2005) after making it in back-to-back years and Arkansas State has a new coach (Colorado picked up Hawkins in 2006). A lot of similarities, so I thought I'd have some fun with it. :)
One minor correction...we actually missed the playoffs two consecutive seasons, 2004-2005, after making it back to back in 2002-2003.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:36 pm

John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Not sure what all the whining is about. :wink: I have the Griz at 8-3 losing to EWU, Wyoming and NDSU on the road. I have them beating Poly (a team I have MSU losing to) on the road, SAC and USD at home. They barely beat USD last year, but I have them winning 49-10. Despite the score EWU (a team I have MSU losing to at home) beat them handily last year in Missoula and I have them winning by 23 this year at home after they were up by 25, 42-17, with under 10 minutes to play. Wyoming is an FBS team that returns a good defense and I only have UM losing 20-13, and NDSU is the 3-time defending champ and I have that at 38-27. :shrug: Read through that again and tell me its unreasonable.

One minor correction...we actually missed the playoffs two consecutive seasons, 2004-2005, after making it back to back in 2002-2003.
I hope that doesn't make my entire post lose it's credibility, but I'm sure it does. :wink: I'll wait for Badlands or '09 to make the call. I'm sure one of them would've caught the error if you hadn't.

toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:56 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
John K wrote:

I hope that doesn't make my entire post lose it's credibility, but I'm sure it does. :wink: I'll wait for Badlands or '09 to make the call. I'm sure one of them would've caught the error if you hadn't.
Haha...I think your credibility is still very much intact. Otherwise, the analogy is almost spot on. I was at that Colorado game, by the way. The bottom has dropped out for them since then, but people forget that they were still a highly regarded program at the time we played them. They made it to the Big 12 title game the previous season, and had been a successful program for many years. That loss to MSU was sort of the beginning of the end though. Hawkins had been so successful at BSU, but was a complete failure there. It's just another example of coaching success at one level not always translating to the next level, and a cautionary tale for UW (both of them...Washington and Wyoming) fans, who expect Bohl and Peterson to lead their programs to the promised land.

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:05 pm

I don't have a problem with the losses you picked the Griz to have, although I think we have a good shot at beating NDSU(brand new QB and HC), I have more of a problem with having the Cats win that many, I just don't think they will be more than a middle of the pack team in the BSC this year, with all the studs you've lost, mainly Denarius.

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:45 pm

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:I don't have a problem with the losses you picked the Griz to have, although I think we have a good shot at beating NDSU(brand new QB and HC), I have more of a problem with having the Cats win that many, I just don't think they will be more than a middle of the pack team in the BSC this year, with all the studs you've lost, mainly Denarius.
We don't rebuild, we reload. :-^

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:52 pm

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:I don't have a problem with the losses you picked the Griz to have, although I think we have a good shot at beating NDSU(brand new QB and HC), I have more of a problem with having the Cats win that many, I just don't think they will be more than a middle of the pack team in the BSC this year, with all the studs you've lost, mainly Denarius.
I think the only way MSU is a middle of the pack team this year is if they scrap Cramsey's offense, which MSU is built for this season, and if MSU suffers the injury bug at a scale similar to last year.

I think you also have to look at the players MSU has replacing the studs that left. Bleskin and Prukop are both ahead of where McGhee was when he got his first start. Roderick is taking over for Tanner Bleskin. Any of the guys replacing Ellis don't present a big dropoff. The run game/offense is revamped to fit Johnson, Brekke, Newell, Davis, LaSane, and Knight.

MSU is better at OL/TE, LB, DL and DB. The dropoff at WR/RB isn't that big. There's a small dropoff from Daly to Coe, but the rest of the DL should be better. The return of Na'a to MLB is perhaps the biggest addition to the team. Keeton and Marino are also huge additions.

I've stated a few times that I might change my picks a bit a couple weeks into camp after I see how things are materializing around the BSC. I'm calling these predictions, not hopes, so I'm likely to go back on that Ark. State pick. There will be no upset specials. I'll go with who I think has the better team.

toM StUber

bigkid
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bigkid » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:36 pm

TomCat with all due respect you mention Prukop and Bleskin are farther along then McGhee was in his first few years. I'm not so sure of that. McGhee was a very unusual talent.Prukop hasn't even had a live snap and Bleskin didn't secure his future last year. As I admire your loyalty, to even hint there isn't a drop off at the QB spot is wishful thinking. Griz fans are happy McGhee is gone. He was pretty damn good and sometimes the the good rankings were in fact because of him. To bad he got hurt. I liked the kid.