UI in 2016?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

UI in 2016?

Post by technoCat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:45 pm

http://idaho.scout.com/story/1426632-fu ... avor?s=205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe a straight up ass whooping would convince them they need to come back to the BSC where they belong.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

merff33
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: UI in 2016?

Post by merff33 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:24 pm

We have a common opponent this year to compare.

We are at Arkansas State 8-30-2014, and the Red Wolves travel into the Kibbie dome 11-1-2014.

Could be interesting when we win an away game, and Idaho drops one at home to the same team.

:-$

OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!!!...........Dude...mark it zero.

ewuranger29
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ewuranger29 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:32 pm

technoCat wrote:http://idaho.scout.com/story/1426632-fu ... avor?s=205

Maybe a straight up ass whooping would convince them they need to come back to the BSC where they belong.
I thought the same in 2012 when we gave them a beat-down in the Kibbie Dome, but that didn't happen so much. After that game, it seems as if the pro-FBS arguments shifted more towards "what makes anyone think we'd be a top team in the Big Sky, so we may as well stay put and see what happens"...

Anyway, not sure what's in this for MSU, other than good potential to get a win against an "FBS" team. The pay-out can't be great (think we got something like $150-200k in 2012)...you guys more than likely make more money than that off of a home game in Bozeman.

Personally, I prefer to play one of these games a year against a Pac-12 type team that's going to have a good payout.

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Petrino is a pretty good coach. I will almost bet that UI will be a much better team by then, if he is still around.

GO CATS!!!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:40 pm

canyoncat wrote:Petrino is a pretty good coach. I will almost bet that UI will be a much better team by then, if he is still around.
If they have a good years this and next, he gets out of prgatory and gets a bigger gig.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:01 pm

canyoncat wrote:Petrino is a pretty good coach. I will almost bet that UI will be a much better team by then, if he is still around.
My thoughts exactly. By 2016 Idaho will be tough if Paul is still there. If he's gone due to winning, UI will probably still have some firepower.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ddlalum
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ddlalum » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:18 pm

WOW, that surprises me…..
With our attendance numbers, I thought we would have been above scheduling a money game with Idaho?
I hope the check doesn’t bounce. Might want to ask for cash.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm pretty sure that $150-$200k when you can take a bus trumps $400-$500k on a plane.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:27 pm

We should just get a home and home deal with them and not worry about a money game.....if they don't want to do that we'll take the money!

2024 Resume dominance

ewuranger29
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ewuranger29 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:26 pm

allcat wrote:
If they have a good years this and next, he gets out of prgatory and gets a bigger gig.
Looking at their schedule this year, I honestly don't see more than 3-4 wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:23 am

LTown Cat wrote:I'm pretty sure that $150-$200k when you can take a bus trumps $400-$500k on a plane.
I don't think it costs that much to charter a plane. I believe the total travel expenses for previous FBS games have generally run about $100,000, including the charter flight.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:58 am

ewuranger29 wrote:

I thought the same in 2012 when we gave them a beat-down in the Kibbie Dome, but that didn't happen so much. After that game, it seems as if the pro-FBS arguments shifted more towards "what makes anyone think we'd be a top team in the Big Sky, so we may as well stay put and see what happens"...

Anyway, not sure what's in this for MSU, other than good potential to get a win against an "FBS" team. The pay-out can't be great (think we got something like $150-200k in 2012)...you guys more than likely make more money than that off of a home game in Bozeman.

Personally, I prefer to play one of these games a year against a Pac-12 type team that's going to have a good payout.
I'm with you... I love it when we play up against the big boys. That being said, I have a feeling UW is going to put a hurting on EWU this year (unfortunately). Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see you take them down like you did the Beavers, but I think UW is going to be good.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:24 am

Yeah, I don't really get the point in playing a team like UI. To me, our last few FBS opponents (Arkansas State, SMU, Utah, and Washington State) have been ideal. Not so good that we have no chance to beat them, but good enough that it would be a definite coup if we did. UI may or may not be significantly improved by then, after a few years under Petrino. He may be a great coach, but he's not a miracle worker, and I'm not sure if they'll ever really be very successful at the FBS level. They may get lucky and go 6-6 or 7-5 and get to a bowl game every once in awhile, but I just don't believe they'll ever be able to keep that up on a consistent basis. Plus, as previously noted, we probably won't get any more money out of it, than we would by scheduling an extra home game.

ewuranger29
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ewuranger29 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:29 pm

catatac wrote:
ewuranger29 wrote:

I'm with you... I love it when we play up against the big boys. That being said, I have a feeling UW is going to put a hurting on EWU this year (unfortunately). Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see you take them down like you did the Beavers, but I think UW is going to be good.
Yeah, I don't expect that's a game we'll win. UW should be significantly better than when we almost took them down in 2011. Still, we tend to play well against the PNW Pac-12 teams, so who knows. Any given Saturday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:50 pm

John K wrote:Yeah, I don't really get the point in playing a team like UI. To me, our last few FBS opponents (Arkansas State, SMU, Utah, and Washington State) have been ideal. Not so good that we have no chance to beat them, but good enough that it would be a definite coup if we did. UI may or may not be significantly improved by then, after a few years under Petrino. He may be a great coach, but he's not a miracle worker, and I'm not sure if they'll ever really be very successful at the FBS level. They may get lucky and go 6-6 or 7-5 and get to a bowl game every once in awhile, but I just don't believe they'll ever be able to keep that up on a consistent basis. Plus, as previously noted, we probably won't get any more money out of it, than we would by scheduling an extra home game.
This is probably true, however I believe the real issue is finding another home game where we can do the return trip he following year.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:51 pm

Would the rumored $350,000 make some feel better about this game ?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:20 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Would the rumored $350,000 make some feel better about this game ?
I'm sure it would.

I heard a lot of people hoping Idaho would get back into the league. MSU gets a game with them and suddenly it's a stupid thing to do before the details come out. I think any game against regional FBS/FCS teams is great. I'd love to play Boise State, Utah State, the Dakotas, Idaho, BYU, Utah, CSU, Colorado, Air Force, etc. every once in a while. I tend to think they like playing us, too.

Another plus is a lot more people can get to this game against Idaho than the SMU, Arkansas State, SFA, Texas A/M, etc. games.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:15 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Would the rumored $350,000 make some feel better about this game ?
I'm sure it would.

I heard a lot of people hoping Idaho would get back into the league. MSU gets a game with them and suddenly it's a stupid thing to do before the details come out. I think any game against regional FBS/FCS teams is great. I'd love to play Boise State, Utah State, the Dakotas, Idaho, BYU, Utah, CSU, Colorado, Air Force, etc. every once in a while. I tend to think they like playing us, too.

Another plus is a lot more people can get to this game against Idaho than the SMU, Arkansas State, SFA, Texas A/M, etc. games.
Yeah, I guess maybe some of us jumped the gun a bit in criticizing the scheduling of this game, but I'm shocked that UI was willing to pay us that much to play in Moscow. If that number is accurate, then that changes the equation. My preference would still be to play an all FCS schedule, but I know that's probably not realistic. Although I agree with you, that it's good to play teams from the mountain west area. If UI is willing to pay us that much, that tells me they must be having a difficult time finding desirable opponents for home games.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:42 am

Kyle tweeted that it is $300,000 and then wrote an article. :D

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... paign=blox" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:17 am

Hawks86 wrote:Kyle tweeted that it is $300,000 and then wrote an article. :D

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... paign=blox" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul's not a native of Butte :?

GO CATS!!!