EWU picked to win the league again; MSU tabbed 3rd by media,

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

EWU picked to win the league again; MSU tabbed 3rd by media,

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:01 pm

After running the table in 2013, Eagles are the favorites again in the Big Sky.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Re: EWU picked to win the league again; MSU tabbed 3rd by me

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Ugh... and it looks like EWU just added a game CB.
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnf ... id=4709522

Eastern is going to be ridiculous this year, like NDSU 2012 ridiculous...

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:19 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:Ugh... and it looks like EWU just added a game CB.

From USA Today:
"Wadood saw playing time as a true freshman in 2011, playing in 10 games and making six tackles before tearing his ACL against Washington State. His luck was no better in 2012 when a torn labrum put him out for the season. Last season he appeared in 10 games but all seven of his tackles came against Colorado. The Long Beach, California native started most of the spring alongside Lloyd Carrington who had 25 tackles and an interception last season."

He was a 3-star (Rivals) out of high school.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:33 pm

He was all but signed, sealed and delivered to the Grizzlies, but Baldwin must've made a great pitch late. I talked to several UM guys who thought he was coming to Missoula no doubt.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

He was all but signed, sealed and delivered to the Grizzlies, but Baldwin must've made a great pitch late. I talked to several UM guys who thought he was coming to Missoula no doubt.
UM just signed four JC guys. One a corner.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:36 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

That's tough, but it clearly shows the BSC isn't a one trick pony.

marceag
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by marceag » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:12 am

This addition, if he is as good as advertised, will make EWU really good this year. Two areas of concern going into this season were D line and corner and this is a huge boost to one of the areas of need...

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:22 am

.....................NSFW NSFW NSFW.............

[youtube][/youtube]

...................NSFW NSFW NSFW..........................

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:26 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

If this kid is such a good character off the field and such a strong leader on it...why is he leaving to go to EWU? Only explanation I can think of is grades. A methed out chimpanzee could get into EWU if he had 20$ for that community college tuition.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:05 pm

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

If this kid is such a good character off the field and such a strong leader on it...why is he leaving to go to EWU? Only explanation I can think of is grades. A methed out chimpanzee could get into EWU if he had 20$ for that community college tuition.
Makes sense he was considering UM then.

Kidding aside, I found this when googling him.

Thursday 12 p.m. update: Wadood releases the following statement via Facebook: "I have never failed a drug test, missed a workout, showed up late, been suspended, been in any academic trouble and Ive also earned the scholar baller academic award. So no, I was not forced to leave ASU, I chose to leave. To clear that up."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:24 pm

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

I'm guessing all Baldwin had to do was show him tape of EWU vs FBS teams and it probably was a slam dunk. I might go catch the EWU at UW game that will be the first good test for them. SHSU lost a ton of players so they probably won't be competitive, and then Western... jesus really? that will be 70-0 against their 3rd string. hopefully UW gives them enough of a hangover we can eek one out.

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:13 am

NAU has a very strong O-line and TE returning.. NAU does not play MSU or UM this year. How big of an impact will that be on BSC for the two Montana schools? Does NAU have enough returning and a favorable schedule to finish in the top 3?

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

bigkid
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bigkid » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Marana CAT wrote:NAU has a very strong O-line and TE returning.. NAU does not play MSU or UM this year. How big of an impact will that be on BSC for the two Montana schools? Does NAU have enough returning and a favorable schedule to finish in the top 3?
Good point. Other than Eastern they have a pretty easy schedule. My answer to your question is yes they could wind up a top 3 team in the conference with one loss. If they beat EWU they may in fact be the conference champs. It's amazing they play neither msu or UM. :-k.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Northern Arizona returns all-league offensive linemen center Roy Garcia and tackle Jacob Julian along with RJ Rickert, the best tight end in the league. But the Lumberjacks lose 10 of 11 starters in defense, including cornerback Anders Battle and safety Lucky Dozier, two of the league's best on the back end. They also lose Zach Bauman. Quarterback Kyren Poe has some athleticism, but he's only an average talent under center. Although NAU has a favorable schedule, I still see them as a 4-4 team in the league, dangerous, but in the middle of the pack and outside the playoff picture.

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:53 pm

What team besides EWU do you think has the most favorable schedule to make a run at the BSC if we take returning talent out of the equation ?

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Cal Poly gets Southern Utah, Montana and Montana State at home, but have to play all three and I think all three are playoff contenders.

EWU gets Montana at home but has to play at SUU, which is always a tough trip. As mentioned, no Cats on the schedule for the Eagles.

Idaho State’s schedule is brutal with trips to MSU, EWU and Portland State complimented by home games against Cal Poly, Southern Utah and Sacramento State.

Montana also has a tough schedule with games at EWU, SUU and Cal Poly along with home dates against the Cats and Sac.

UND has a five-week stretch that includes a trip to Bozeman, home games against the Griz and PSU and a two-game road swing from SUU to EWU.

As mentioned, NAU doesn’t play the Cats or the Griz (feels weird just typing that), and they get Poly, EWU, Davis and SUU at home.

Northern Colorado doesn’t have to play the Cats, but they do have to play at Montana and at EWU.

Portland State has a schedule that could set them up for a run if they can survive the last three weeks – Viks play at MSU, at Sac and home against EWU.

Sac gets the Cats, Poly, SUU and PSU at home, but has to play in Missoula.

SUU’s schedule is brutal from the beginning. At Nevada, at SE Lousiana State, home against South Dakota State, at Fresno State then into league. They have to go to Poly and Sac, but get the Griz and EWU at home.

Davis gets EWU, MSU and Sac at home, but has to play at Poly, at NAU and at Montana.

Weber State’s first two road games (at SUU, at MSU) are tough, but they get PSU, NAU and UNC at home. Still don’t see a win there outside of maybe UNC.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

EWU gets Montana at home but has to play at SUU, which is always a tough trip. As mentioned, no Cats on the schedule for the Eagles.
While the MSU-EWU game is non-conference, if I remember correctly, should the 'Cats and EWU end up with identical records atop the conference standings, the conference champion would be the winner of the MSU-EWU game. I think the auto bid to the playoffs would go to the winner as well. Has the potential to be a very, very important contest - especially since TomCat88 has both MSU and EWU undefeated in conference play through week nine.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:00 pm

catscat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

While the MSU-EWU game is non-conference, if I remember correctly, should the 'Cats and EWU end up with identical records atop the conference standings, the conference champion would be the winner of the MSU-EWU game. I think the auto bid to the playoffs would go to the winner as well. Has the potential to be a very, very important contest - especially since TomCat88 has both MSU and EWU undefeated in conference play through week nine.
Awww, but the Cats just got beat by Cal Poly moments after you posted this. Bummer. :wink:

toM StUber

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:41 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
catscat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Awww, but the Cats just got beat by Cal Poly moments after you posted this. Bummer. :wink:
Well crap. Maybe Tom will be nice and tell us in advance who MSU's playoff opponents will be so I can work on travel arrangements now if need be. :)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:56 pm

MSU01 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catscat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Well crap. Maybe Tom will be nice and tell us in advance who MSU's playoff opponents will be so I can work on travel arrangements now if need be. :)
Hey Jim Valvano used to have his team cut down the nets after practices, so I should be able to do that. :wink:

(I actually have my 5th grade girls team do that in our driveway) :)

toM StUber