Garrett Marino update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Garrett Marino update

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:04 pm

91catAlum wrote:A little birdie told me over the weekend to not count McQueary out just yet. Nothing is set in stone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Is his back finally better? I haven't heard anything since he was held out for all of spring ball and back injuries can really end a career fast.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:39 pm

91catAlum wrote:A little birdie told me over the weekend to not count McQueary out just yet. Nothing is set in stone.

With him playing little to ZERO snaps in spring I would say it's pretty much a known he's not going to start. Could he work his way to the number 2, possibly. The "nothing is set in stone" cliche tells me he's back playing and working hard and he has (another cliche) potential to play in the future, but he's not going to see the field this season.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:43 pm

Plainiac wrote:Wait a minute. PapaG, what happened to your sig line where your name was? It was then amended to a shortened version of your name, then went down to just a shortened version of your last name and now, finally, nothing at all. "Put your name on it" indeed. :lol:
I received some calls to my house from a 406 number in the middle of the night twice. Those who know my name already know it.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:44 pm

wbtfg wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Source with knowledge of the situation says Marino passed his test and " He's real close to getting everything done that he needs to be eligible."
Only one of the four qualifiers for acceptance to the MUS system needs to be passed by the applicant. If he passed his SATs to the MUS standards, he' in.

What could possibly be the reason for any other reason for acceptance? He has an MSU ID card. :roll:
Ncaa clearinghouse is more strenuous than mus admissions.
He's a student. Unless the NCAA contests the score, he's in.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:46 pm

allcat wrote:
Plainiac wrote:
Plainiac wrote:Wait a minute. PapaG, what happened to your sig line where your name was? It was then amended to a shortened version of your name, then went down to just a shortened version of your last name and now, finally, nothing at all. "Put your name on it" indeed. :lol:
I'm starting to think that maybe "PapaG" isn't even your real fake name here on BN. I'm also wondering if maybe we shouldn't start the search for the missing 5200 down in your basement.
This poster never adds to a discussion, he defines troll. I would not have the patience of the mods.
He's an admitted troll, yet he continues to be allowed to bait long-time posters on this board. I'm wondering what happened to BAC, actually. Anybody heard from him? It seems as if he may have scrubbed much of his FB stuff.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:49 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Team10 wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:Per above, if you look at Prukop's high school videos, he makes a bunch of plays under pressure either running or passing. I think he is going to be solid. He is young, so mistakes will be made.
Our running game is so solid that you have to think they are going to build it off that and might not need a damn thing.
He may have made a bunch of plays with his feet in high school, but that was high school. That is the same thing I say about Bleskin too. That's great he made plays against kids in high school, he should make most of those kids look ridiculous if he is going to play at the next level.

As for claiming that our running game is "so solid", do you have access to a Delorean with a flux capacitor? Unless you've seen the future or you can give me some more proof other than 'the have the potential' or basing this season on the previous couple seasons, you definitely cannot make any claims like that.
There's no similarity between Bleskin and Prukop running. Prukop is faster and has better vision and therefore more elusive. Its night and day.

It's very hard to bet against our run game. This as good of a stable of backs/OL we've had, including the Davis, Robinson and Kirk trio with that 2012 OL. To say it isn't solid is a big stretch.
I'm as excited for the running game as I've been in a few years. If the QB can have any sort of success passing the ball, the OL is now mature enough, and the backs good enough, to run the ball effectively.

What a ride

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:51 pm

You're really bad at facebook stalking, PapaG. Nothing has been scrubbed on my facebook page, and I've been posting pretty regularly on there. All is quite well.

I just find that I am enjoying not posting on here quite so much.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Team10 wrote:

With him playing little to ZERO snaps in spring I would say it's pretty much a known he's not going to start. Could he work his way to the number 2, possibly. The "nothing is set in stone" cliche tells me he's back playing and working hard and he has (another cliche) potential to play in the future, but he's not going to see the field this season.
"Nothing is set in stone" were my words, so that shouldn't tell you anything.
I also thought there was zero chance he sees the field this year. All I heard was basically that's not the case at all. Take it for what it's worth.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:55 pm

PapaG wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Source with knowledge of the situation says Marino passed his test and " He's real close to getting everything done that he needs to be eligible."
Only one of the four qualifiers for acceptance to the MUS system needs to be passed by the applicant. If he passed his SATs to the MUS standards, he' in.

What could possibly be the reason for any other reason for acceptance? He has an MSU ID card. :roll:
He's in as a student, but not as an athlete until the NCAA says so.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:You're really bad at facebook stalking, PapaG. Nothing has been scrubbed on my facebook page, and I've been posting pretty regularly on there. All is quite well.

I just find that I am enjoying not posting on here quite so much.
Ha, I knew that would draw you out! I don't have any idea about your FB account. Welcome back, and I hope you're enjoying the start of summer!

ETA - your first post here in 2.5 weeks is literally within an hour of my post, and has nothing to do with the Bobcats. You really do care! :D
Last edited by PapaG on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:59 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
PapaG wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
PapaG wrote:

He's in as a student, but not as an athlete until the NCAA says so.
Semantics, basically. 99% is now done; NCAA validating the score is basically a formality.

What a ride

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:59 pm

Well, the scores ARE out.....I saw on the Minneapolis Star Tribune site that a running back for the Gophers did not raise his sat scores but has options...... http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs ... 3EDeObg.97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:35 am

Team10 wrote: As for claiming that our running game is "so solid", do you have access to a Delorean with a flux capacitor? Unless you've seen the future or you can give me some more proof other than 'the have the potential' or basing this season on the previous couple seasons, you definitely cannot make any claims like that.
1. Sure I can, it's a frivolous chat room where we can say and do anything we want.
2. Shake and Bake is a proven quantity and brings senior talent to the backfield. He might be one of the top 10 fastest players in the Big Sky.
3. Newell is a train wrecker beast that I think should play linebacker. He had great plays last year and will be stronger this year.
4. I have personally watched Brekke and Newell in practice and play in games, including Cat/Griz. Both are fully willing and capable of making great plays. Brekke is very fast and agile.

I "definitely did."
Last edited by Counter Assault on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:49 am

The little birdy is a hopeful little birdy. The birdy must not have been attending the entirety of fall camp last year when McQueary was a distant #4 in the lineup.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:55 am

Wide receiver is still a big gap, but it's the OL that needs to come through this year for MSU. From the few people I've talked to the only thing keeping them from being elite is themselves. A couple guys are locks, but others need to take the next step. Seems to me they'll need to have great endurance in this offense as was discussed this time last year when Cramsey came on board.

If Marino is a go and IF he doesn't have to do too much to work himself into shape all indications are he'll be great addition. From what I'm told he was a gym rat almost to a fault, so I would expect him to be ready, but I haven't heard anything about his condition.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:26 am

Counter Assault wrote:
Team10 wrote: As for claiming that our running game is "so solid", do you have access to a Delorean with a flux capacitor? Unless you've seen the future or you can give me some more proof other than 'the have the potential' or basing this season on the previous couple seasons, you definitely cannot make any claims like that.
1. Sure I can, it's a frivolous chat room where we can say and do anything we want.
2. Shake and Bake is a proven quantity and brings senior talent to the backfield. He might be one of the top 10 fastest players in the Big Sky.
3. Newell is a train wrecker beast that I think should play linebacker. He had great plays last year and will be stronger this year.
4. I have personally watched Brekke and Newell in practice and play in games, including Cat/Griz. Both are fully willing and capable of making great plays. Brekke is very fast and agile.

I "definitely did."
Funny how when someone says something bad as their opinion, such as the head coach can't win it all, their are those who say you can't say that. Then when someone has a positive opinion someone says the same thing. If no one has an opinion is there even a message board? You can argue someone's point, but I don't think you just say they're wrong without explaining why.

Team10

Post by Team10 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:41 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:

I "definitely did."
Funny how when someone says something bad as their opinion, such as the head coach can't win it all, their are those who say you can't say that. Then when someone has a positive opinion someone says the same thing. If no one has an opinion is there even a message board? You can argue someone's point, but I don't think you just say they're wrong without explaining why.
You're wrong! [-X [-X =D^ =D^ :lol: :lol:

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:57 am

Team10 wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:

I "definitely did."
You're wrong! [-X [-X =D^ =D^ :lol: :lol:
Verrrrry funny!! \:D/ :lol:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:14 pm

For my fellow Marino stalkers, he is now through the NCAA Clearinghouse, but still has a couple minor things with MSU to take care of.

I'll have some other football tidbits later today.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

basincat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by basincat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:02 pm

TomCat88 wrote:For my fellow Marino stalkers, he is now through the NCAA Clearinghouse, but still has a couple minor things with MSU to take care of.

I'll have some other football tidbits later today.

Make another rainbow Tommy!! ....sorry, that's a line off some Robin Williams comedy that is pretty funny. We need tidbits. Slow out there. How about some videos of the guys working out or something.