Garrett Marino update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Garrett Marino update

Post by wbtfg » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:45 pm

PapaG wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Source with knowledge of the situation says Marino passed his test and " He's real close to getting everything done that he needs to be eligible."
Only one of the four qualifiers for acceptance to the MUS system needs to be passed by the applicant. If he passed his SATs to the MUS standards, he' in.

What could possibly be the reason for any other reason for acceptance? He has an MSU ID card. :roll:
Ncaa clearinghouse is more strenuous than mus admissions.

Plainiac
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Plainiac » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Plainiac wrote:Wait a minute. PapaG, what happened to your sig line where your name was? It was then amended to a shortened version of your name, then went down to just a shortened version of your last name and now, finally, nothing at all. "Put your name on it" indeed. :lol:
I'm starting to think that maybe "PapaG" isn't even your real fake name here on BN. I'm also wondering if maybe we shouldn't start the search for the missing 5200 down in your basement.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:14 pm

Plainiac wrote:
Plainiac wrote:Wait a minute. PapaG, what happened to your sig line where your name was? It was then amended to a shortened version of your name, then went down to just a shortened version of your last name and now, finally, nothing at all. "Put your name on it" indeed. :lol:
I'm starting to think that maybe "PapaG" isn't even your real fake name here on BN. I'm also wondering if maybe we shouldn't start the search for the missing 5200 down in your basement.
This poster never adds to a discussion, he defines troll. I would not have the patience of the mods.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:40 pm

allcat wrote:
Plainiac wrote:
This poster never adds to a discussion, he defines troll. I would not have the patience of the mods.
Makes me miss Alpha. At least he was funny when he talked smack, and you knew it was all in fun. Plainiac is just a waste.

Plainiac
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Plainiac » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Do I really get under the skin of you guys THAT much on here? My advice is to relax and ignore me if that's the case. Another option is to just give it back to me. This is a football message board. No one here is curing cancer so chill out you thin-skinned losers.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:53 am

Plainiac wrote:Do I really get under the skin of you guys THAT much on here? My advice is to relax and ignore me if that's the case. Another option is to just give it back to me. This is a football message board. No one here is curing cancer so chill out you thin-skinned losers.
Despite the fact that um has a prodigious amount of items to give you and your fans crap about we rarely do. No one is doing anything to cause you or any grizz fans to come here and talk smack on our football board. Unless you want to hear all about your teams past indiscretions I suggest you either go to our Smack forum or provide some substance to these threads and act civil.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:39 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Source with knowledge of the situation says Marino passed his test and " He's real close to getting everything done that he needs to be eligible."
If true MSU now has no holes on defense. In fact Marino just made this team much better. Our DL is big at 270 and 250 at the DE spots. You can make strong arguments that MSU has best DE combo and rotation, best CB combo and best LB trio. I'd also take our four-man DT rotation (Sheridan, Dees, Thomas, and Bignell) over anyone in the league. Stacked on defense is putting it mildly.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:43 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
If true MSU now has no holes on defense. In fact Marino just made this team much better. Our DL is big at 270 and 250 at the DE spots. You can make strong arguments that MSU has best DE combo and rotation, best CB combo and best LB trio. I'd also take our four-man DT rotation (Sheridan, Dees, Thomas, and Bignell) over anyone in the league. Stacked on defense is putting it mildly.
yeah- I would say that the only "hole" on the entire team is at WR. There is enough bodies, just a big lack of experience. I'm surprised they have not brought in a transfer/dropdown yet at WR.....

FTG- GO CATS GO!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:50 am

mslacatfan wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
yeah- I would say that the only "hole" on the entire team is at WR. There is enough bodies, just a big lack of experience. I'm surprised they have not brought in a transfer/dropdown yet at WR.....
Still might want to put a ? on QB. We still haven't seen Prukop on the field in a game and Bleskin might not be able to run this offense.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:19 am

mslacatfan wrote:

I think they are still looking and might have a shot with a couple guys that have graduated with 1 year left. Garic Wharton from Arizona is a long shot, but we might have a chance with Alex Wheat from Utah State. I have no inside info. just a look at who a couple coaches are "following."

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:44 pm

technoCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
Still might want to put a ? on QB. We still haven't seen Prukop on the field in a game and Bleskin might not be able to run this offense.
A small ?
I think Prukop is ahead of where McGhee was going into their first starts. Cramsey will run it a lot Quack Attack-style, so the QB won't be under a ton of pressure. Prukop is so good with his feet when needed.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:49 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
technoCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
A small ?
I think Prukop is ahead of where McGhee was going into their first starts. Cramsey will run it a lot Quack Attack-style, so the QB won't be under a ton of pressure. Prukop is so good with his feet when needed.
I think it is a fairly big ?. I think we all have faith in the physical abilities of the kid, the mental part is actually a bigger deal to me.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:55 pm

Per above, if you look at Prukop's high school videos, he makes a bunch of plays under pressure either running or passing. I think he is going to be solid. He is young, so mistakes will be made.

Regarding receivers, I agree with the above it is a ?, however we are not devoid of talent there. You have Flotkoetter, who is solid. Griebel, Roderick will be solid. Then you have Dash, Kalfell and a few other who will be there. Jayshawn Gates has some wheels. Newell and Brekke both are good options. Shawn John will be a wheel threat. If we run and gun with Prukop, they could easily run this offense without a deep threat guy. Our running game is so solid that you have to think they are going to build it off that and might not need a damn thing.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:18 pm

Counter Assault wrote:Per above, if you look at Prukop's high school videos, he makes a bunch of plays under pressure either running or passing. I think he is going to be solid. He is young, so mistakes will be made.
Our running game is so solid that you have to think they are going to build it off that and might not need a damn thing.
He may have made a bunch of plays with his feet in high school, but that was high school. That is the same thing I say about Bleskin too. That's great he made plays against kids in high school, he should make most of those kids look ridiculous if he is going to play at the next level.

As for claiming that our running game is "so solid", do you have access to a Delorean with a flux capacitor? Unless you've seen the future or you can give me some more proof other than 'the have the potential' or basing this season on the previous couple seasons, you definitely cannot make any claims like that.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:46 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
WOW! Drinking early today! If Marino arrives and is eligible he is a true freshman who did not play any football in 2 years. Coe is coming off of ankle surgery, no one behind them has played a down in college. At Tackle you have Sheridan, Dees (who underperformed last year) and Bignell and Thomas who played maybe 5%-10% of available snaps last year. You have 3 new starters in the defensive backfield. I suppose you are one of the many who thought we were in great shape because of Cooper and then Hayes. Or maybe all you go by is weight. If they are big they must be good!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:05 pm

allcat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
technoCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
A small ?
I think it is a fairly big ?. I think we all have faith in the physical abilities of the kid, the mental part is actually a bigger deal to me.
He's very composed. I think that's one of his strengths. If there's a bad snap he recovers quickly. Broken play, he sticks with it. Great at ad libbing. Very refined. I'd put him in the top five QBs in the league right now. Bleskin is probably the best backup QB. If Prukop is better than Bleskin, then we're in great shape at QB.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:12 pm

Team10 wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:Per above, if you look at Prukop's high school videos, he makes a bunch of plays under pressure either running or passing. I think he is going to be solid. He is young, so mistakes will be made.
Our running game is so solid that you have to think they are going to build it off that and might not need a damn thing.
He may have made a bunch of plays with his feet in high school, but that was high school. That is the same thing I say about Bleskin too. That's great he made plays against kids in high school, he should make most of those kids look ridiculous if he is going to play at the next level.

As for claiming that our running game is "so solid", do you have access to a Delorean with a flux capacitor? Unless you've seen the future or you can give me some more proof other than 'the have the potential' or basing this season on the previous couple seasons, you definitely cannot make any claims like that.
There's no similarity between Bleskin and Prukop running. Prukop is faster and has better vision and therefore more elusive. Its night and day.

It's very hard to bet against our run game. This as good of a stable of backs/OL we've had, including the Davis, Robinson and Kirk trio with that 2012 OL. To say it isn't solid is a big stretch.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:23 pm

gtapp wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
WOW! Drinking early today! If Marino arrives and is eligible he is a true freshman who did not play any football in 2 years. Coe is coming off of ankle surgery, no one behind them has played a down in college. At Tackle you have Sheridan, Dees (who underperformed last year) and Bignell and Thomas who played maybe 5%-10% of available snaps last year. You have 3 new starters in the defensive backfield. I suppose you are one of the many who thought we were in great shape because of Cooper and then Hayes. Or maybe all you go by is weight. If they are big they must be good!
I'm not a real big "how much experience do they have" guy. Most good players burst onto the scene. Marino sat out one year. Very few gradually get better aka Caleb Schreibeis. Daly came back after a year off and blew up the BSC leading in sacks, Marino is a bigger, just as quick version of Daly. McGhee was MVP his first year. Singleton was third in TFL in the league his first year. Kirk was all BSC his first year. Coe, Sheridan and Dees all have a lot of PT. JP Flynn is considered the top guard in the BSC after just eight starts. That's just our team. Look at Kupp and Adams at EWU and other teams. Coe's surgery was minor and preventative, similar to what Kirk had.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 pm

A little birdie told me over the weekend to not count McQueary out just yet. Nothing is set in stone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:55 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Team10 wrote:

There's no similarity between Bleskin and Prukop running. Prukop is faster and has better vision and therefore more elusive. Its night and day.

It's very hard to bet against our run game. This as good of a stable of backs/OL we've had, including the Davis, Robinson and Kirk trio with that 2012 OL. To say it isn't solid is a big stretch.
I wouldn't bet against the run game either. We are STACKED at that position. The OL is huge and ready to bust out this year (they better or there is something wrong). MSU will probably be a run team first at the beginning of the year and then morph in to a more balanced offense by the time the conference games start. It will be nice having a QB with escape ability too as Prukop can take it to the house if plays break down. Opponents will have to game plan for him running the ball that is for sure. Prukop has seen 5A Texas competition so I doubt he will be fazed by anything he sees early on (and if he does, he has the ability to make a play with his legs). Also, I am not counting out McQueary either. I like his game and I hope he gets healthy.