2014 Season Predictions: Week 2 (Re-Mix/Final)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

2014 Season Predictions: Week 2 (Re-Mix/Final)

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:56 am

No changes in the winner for this week's picks. Some good matchups. I like the EWU vs. UW, So. Utah vs. SELa., and Cal Poly vs. SoDakSt games. SSU at Cal could be a surprise. I bumped up the spread on the CWU at UM game.

Sacramento State at Cal: Cal struggled against PSU last season, which is reason enough to think they'll be ready for SAC. Cal 42, SAC 24

Northern Colorado vs. UNLV: UNLV may have lost a lot of skill players and may be on probation, but they'll handle UNC. UNLV 38, UNC 10

PSU vs. Western Oregon: PSU's program is wavering, but there's a lot of talent there as usual. PSU 56, WOU 7

ISU at Utah State: The improved Bengals are still no match for a FBS team. USU 59, ISU 14

EWU at Washington: The Huskies got quite a scare from EWU in 2011 and it could happen again. UW 45, EWU 31

UC Davis vs. Ft. Lewis: Big day for Gabe Manzanarez. Davis 42, Ft. Lewis 3

Weber State vs. North Dakota State: I like WSU's QB, but not enough against the Bison. NDSU 52, WSU 3

Montana vs. Cent. Wash.: CWU is consistently a good team and has given UM fits before, but UM should handle them this time. UM 34, CWU 10

Southern Utah at SE Louisiana: Matchup of a pair of playoff teams from last year. SELa 34, So. Utah 17

North Dakota vs. Robert Morris: RMU was a playoff team ... in 2010. UND 31, RMU 20

Montana State vs. Black Hills: MSU should use this game to work any kinks, but it should really use to avoid a repeat of 2006. MSU 45, BHSU 13

NAU at Abilene Christian: I didn't realize Abilene Christian had a football team. NAU 52, Abilene Xtian 7

Cal Poly at South Dakota State: A solid FCS vs FCS matchup here. SDSU 24, Poly 23
Last edited by TomCat88 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2014 Season Predictions: Week 2

Post by Rich K » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:29 am

I like most of your predictions but I'll go with Southern Utah over SE Louisiana. Only because they have one less direction in their name.

I think the NAU - Abilene Christian score will be much closer, I predict a 38 - 24 victory for NAU.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:53 am

Pretty good pics, but I think you're waaaay off on the UM game. If they don't win by 50+ I'll be shocked. This isn't the Central Washington team of old. This team lost to teams like, Azusa... Western Oregon, Simon Frazier, A&M (not the big one) last year. Carroll would give them a much better game IMO

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:04 am

Just some advice I've learned about these threads. Make sure you are being realistic with rational and objective honesty. 8)

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:31 am

catatac wrote:Pretty good pics, but I think you're waaaay off on the UM game. If they don't win by 50+ I'll be shocked. This isn't the Central Washington team of old. This team lost to teams like, Azusa... Western Oregon, Simon Frazier, A&M (not the big one) last year. Carroll would give them a much better game IMO
Central Washington was a power in the 1990s when Jon Kitna was their quarterback. They returned to national prominence in the mid-2000s when Kitna's backup, Beau Baldwin, took over the head coaching gig. Baldwin capitalized on the down time at Washington State and the fiasco after Rick Neuheisel in Seattle. Baldwin played fast and loose with transfers, landing guys like LB Prince Hall (Alabama), QB Mike Reilly (Washington State) and DE Eugene Germany (Michigan, USC). In 2008, the year after Baldwin left, CWU went to Washington-Grizzly and nearly beat Montana. The Reilly to Johnny Spevak connection looked like Big Sky quality. The Wildcats only lost by a field goal, 38-35, to a team that would go on to reach the FCS title game. In 2009, the Wildcats ascended to No. 1 and advanced to the Division II semifinals.

In 2010, Reilly and Spevak left. Before fall camp that season, Blaine Bennett brought in 23 Division I drop downs, all with wrap sheets. It was one of the most fascinating dynamics I've ever covered. CWU's defense had linebackers from Utah, Utah State, Alabama and Nevada, defensive linemen from Michigan, USC and Washington State, defensive backs from UCLA, Sac State and Oregon State. The offense featured transfers from Oklahoma State, Tulsa and Wazzu. The team went 8-3 and missed the playoffs because the GNAC does not get an automatic bid. They would never be the same.

After three straight mediocre years and some questionable indiscretions off the field (http://union-bulletin.com/news/2013/oct ... nnett-fir/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Bennett was fired abruptly after last season despite having a 41-16 mark at the school.

CWU is not the same as they were. But with the admission standards, the fee waivers the school gets for boosting minority population among students, the location (an hour east of Seattle, two hours west of Spokane) and the prevalence of sending players to the pros (Reilly and LB Adam Bighill are BC Lions, FB Bryson Kelly is a Raider), they are just one big transfer class away from being dangerous.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:18 am

Good write up. But... the CWU team that plays the Griz in three months... you agree it's a 50 point blowout?

P.S. Good meeting you at the Holiday Inn in Great Falls a few weeks ago!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GoBears
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GoBears » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:42 am

Are you going to be doing Big Sky position rankings again this preseason? I always enjoy reading those.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:51 am

GoBears wrote:Are you going to be doing Big Sky position rankings again this preseason? I always enjoy reading those.
Yes. This year's Bobcat Football Review & Preview will have full sections on each team with quotes from each of the league's coaches. I'll have predictions for the entire composite schedule for the Big Sky, preseason All-Big Sky teams and predicted league standings.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:48 pm

[quote="Rich K"]I like most of your predictions but I'll go with Southern Utah over SE Louisiana. Only because they have one less direction in their name.

Lol......That's pretty damn funny. :lol:

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:53 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
GoBears wrote:Are you going to be doing Big Sky position rankings again this preseason? I always enjoy reading those.
Yes. This year's Bobcat Football Review & Preview will have full sections on each team with quotes from each of the league's coaches. I'll have predictions for the entire composite schedule for the Big Sky, preseason All-Big Sky teams and predicted league standings.
It's a shame you basically have to do that magazine for free, last year's publication was stellar, this year's sounds even better! I can't wait \:D/

Silenoz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Silenoz » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:10 pm

TomCat88 wrote:NAU at Abilene Christian: I didn't realize Abilene Christian had a football team. NAU 52, Abilene Xtian 7
ACU is FCS, and was pretty good at the DII level before that. Their 2013 campaign was all over the place, but the NAU game should be a lot closer than 52-7

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=332990166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:01 am

Silenoz wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:NAU at Abilene Christian: I didn't realize Abilene Christian had a football team. NAU 52, Abilene Xtian 7
ACU is FCS, and was pretty good at the DII level before that. Their 2013 campaign was all over the place, but the NAU game should be a lot closer than 52-7

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=332990166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, you're right. I should've done a little more research on that one.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:51 pm

catatac wrote:Pretty good pics, but I think you're waaaay off on the UM game. If they don't win by 50+ I'll be shocked. This isn't the Central Washington team of old. This team lost to teams like, Azusa... Western Oregon, Simon Frazier, A&M (not the big one) last year. Carroll would give them a much better game IMO
Could be, but I got some inside info that Delaney is very much looking forward to the South Dakota game. That may strike some as odd. However, not only is Joe Glenn USD's coach, but his DC is Jason Petrino, and Delaney knows the Petrinos. A Butte thing. He doesn't want to get beat by those guys, so he might overlook CWU. We'll see, as they say. Hate to give away any Week 3 picks, but I think UM will smoke USD this year.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2014 Season Predictions: Week 2 (Re-Mix)

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:27 pm

No changes in the winners for this week's picks. Some good matchups. I like the EWU vs. UW, So. Utah vs. SELa., and Cal Poly vs. SoDakSt games. SSU at Cal could be a surprise. I bumped up the spread on the CWU at UM game.

Sacramento State at Cal: Cal struggled against PSU last season, which is reason enough to think they'll be ready for SAC. Cal 42, SAC 24

Northern Colorado vs. UNLV: UNLV may have lost a lot of skill players and may be on probation, but they'll handle UNC. UNLV 38, UNC 10

PSU vs. Western Oregon: PSU's program is wavering, but there's a lot of talent there as usual. PSU 56, WOU 7

ISU at Utah State: The improved Bengals are still no match for a FBS team. USU 59, ISU 14

EWU at Washington: The Huskies got quite a scare from EWU in 2011 and it could happen again. UW 45, EWU 31

UC Davis vs. Ft. Lewis: Big day for Gabe Manzanarez. Davis 42, Ft. Lewis 3

Weber State vs. North Dakota State: I like WSU's QB, but not enough against the Bison. NDSU 52, WSU 3

Montana vs. Cent. Wash.: CWU is consistently a good team and has given UM fits before, but UM should handle them this time. UM 34, CWU 10. (I had 24-17 previously).
Southern Utah at SE Louisiana: Matchup of a pair of playoff teams from last year. SELa 34, So. Utah 17

North Dakota vs. Robert Morris: RMU was a playoff team ... in 2010. UND 31, RMU 20

Montana State vs. Black Hills: MSU should use this game to work any kinks, but it should really use to avoid a repeat of 2006. MSU 45, BHSU 13

NAU at Abilene Christian: I didn't realize Abilene Christian had a football team. NAU 52, Abilene Xtian 7

Cal Poly at South Dakota State: A solid FCS vs FCS matchup here. SDSU 24, Poly 23

toM StUber

WSUWILDCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:20 am

Weber will score more than 3 against North Dakota State. Even if we are getting curbstomped and the Bison pull thier starters we will score on NDSU's 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Heck we almost scored 14 points on ASU's starters, and even though NDSU's win over Iowa State was impressive, I dont think the Cyclones are quite in the same league as the Sun Devils. My opinion of course, I guess we will have to wait till Saturday to see for sure.

And Im stoked for the home opener, they are calling for a sellout, (do I think it will happen? probably not)

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

desmond1957

Post by desmond1957 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:50 am

Old Tom is a mighty smart cookie
In predicting the scores he's no rookie
If I had his insight
I'd be on the next flight
To Las Vegas, to find me a bookie!!!!!

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:55 am

WSUWILDCAT wrote:Weber will score more than 3 against North Dakota State. Even if we are getting curbstomped and the Bison pull thier starters we will score on NDSU's 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Heck we almost scored 14 points on ASU's starters, and even though NDSU's win over Iowa State was impressive, I dont think the Cyclones are quite in the same league as the Sun Devils. My opinion of course, I guess we will have to wait till Saturday to see for sure.

And Im stoked for the home opener, they are calling for a sellout, (do I think it will happen? probably not)
Selling out while hosting NDSU is a forgone conclusion. There will be their standard traveling mass plus a large number of SLC locals. Weber fans will need to get their tickets early if they want to watch this game.

WSUWILDCAT

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:24 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
WSUWILDCAT wrote:Weber will score more than 3 against North Dakota State. Even if we are getting curbstomped and the Bison pull thier starters we will score on NDSU's 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Selling out while hosting NDSU is a forgone conclusion. There will be their standard traveling mass plus a large number of SLC locals. Weber fans will need to get their tickets early if they want to watch this game.

Running up to the Dee to buy my tickets after work today :D

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:16 pm

TomCat88 wrote: PSU vs. Western Oregon: PSU's program is wavering, but there's a lot of talent there as usual. PSU 56, WOU 7
Actual score PSU 45 WOU 38

Portland State is going to continue to be ignored by the Portland area press if they turn in those kind of results =P~

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:10 pm

Another 13-0 week runs the overall mark to 26-0. I wasn't very close on the scores though. (Actual scores in parenthesis)

No changes in the winners for this week's picks. Some good matchups. I like the EWU vs. UW, So. Utah vs. SELa., and Cal Poly vs. SoDakSt games. SSU at Cal could be a surprise. I bumped up the spread on the CWU at UM game.

Sacramento State at Cal: Cal struggled against PSU last season, which is reason enough to think they'll be ready for SAC. Cal 42, SAC 24 (Cal 55-14)

Northern Colorado vs. UNLV: UNLV may have lost a lot of skill players and may be on probation, but they'll handle UNC. UNLV 38, UNC 10 (UNLV 13-12)

PSU vs. Western Oregon: PSU's program is wavering, but there's a lot of talent there as usual. PSU 56, WOU 7 (PSU 45-38)

ISU at Utah State: The improved Bengals are still no match for a FBS team. USU 59, ISU 14 (USU 40-20)

EWU at Washington: The Huskies got quite a scare from EWU in 2011 and it could happen again. UW 45, EWU 31 (UW 59-52)

UC Davis vs. Ft. Lewis: Big day for Gabe Manzanarez. Davis 42, Ft. Lewis 3 (UCDavis 52-17; Manzanarez DNP)

Weber State vs. North Dakota State: I like WSU's QB, but not enough against the Bison. NDSU 52, WSU 3 (NDSU 24-7)

Montana vs. Cent. Wash.: CWU is consistently a good team and has given UM fits before, but UM should handle them this time. UM 34, CWU 10. (I had 24-17 previously). (UM 48-14)

Southern Utah at SE Louisiana: Matchup of a pair of playoff teams from last year. SELa 34, So. Utah 17 (SELa 41-14)

North Dakota vs. Robert Morris: RMU was a playoff team ... in 2010. UND 31, RMU 20 (UND 16-13)

Montana State vs. Black Hills: MSU should use this game to work any kinks, but it should really use to avoid a repeat of 2006. MSU 45, BHSU 13 (MSU 57-10)

NAU at Abilene Christian: I didn't realize Abilene Christian had a football team. NAU 52, Abilene Xtian 7 (NAU 27-21)

Cal Poly at South Dakota State: A solid FCS vs FCS matchup here. SDSU 24, Poly 23 (SDSU 44-18)

toM StUber