2014 Season Predictions: Week 1 (ReMix/Final)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

2014 Season Predictions: Week 1 (ReMix/Final)

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:24 pm

I think it's pure folly to try to pick every game for the season, so I'll go through these weekly and make amendments, as needed.

I'm changing my MSU over Arkansas State pick. There are some similarities between 2006 and this year, but ASU is a solid squad. ASU 34, MSU 21. Also changed the Poly upset of NMSU. I'm not bothering to change scores unless I change who I think who wins, so the rest are the same.

Thought I'd start a series of week-by-week predictions. I'll do a week every 4-5 days. Feel free to make your own picks, or insult mine (like you need permission) and maybe we can pass the time of these long two months before practice starts on Aug. 4.

WEEK ONE
Portland State at Oregon State: Another upset in Corvallis? Probably not, but PSU showed some flashes last season and could be improved in 2014. OSU 49, PSU 24.

Sam Houston at EWU: A lot of the parts are missing at SHSU, but I bet they still have some talent in reserve. Not enough to beat EWU though. EWU 41, SHSU 28.

WSU at Arizona State: Not gonna happen. ASU 55, WSU 7.

Idaho State at Utah: Kramer's teams tend to show up for play up games. They make a game of it. Utah 38, ISU 27.

North Dakota at San Jose State: SJSU has silently been building a decent program. Tough day for UND. SJSU 48, UND 17.

Incarnate Word at Sacramento State: A win for the Big Sky and pick-me-up for SSU after losing its coach, but not a surprise. SSU 38, Word 17.

Montana at Wyoming: Will Wyoming have enough talent to offset the overhaul in offensive philosphy? Even if they don't their defense should give them the edge. Wyoming 20, Montana 13.

Montana State at Arkansas State: ASU is 28-11 the past three years, but this just reminds me too much of 2006. Montana State 19, Arkansas State 10. (Changed to ASU 34, MSU 21).
UC Davis at Stanford: Wouldn't this be a shocker? Not gonna be a shocker. Stanford 58, UC Davis 3.

Northern Arizona at San Diego State: Life without Bauman begins...poorly. SDSU 38, NAU 10.

Cal Poly at New Mexico State: Possibly the easiest FCS over FBS game to pick. Cal Poly 28, NMSU 14. (Changed to NMSU 24, Poly 14)

Southern Utah at Nevada: Gonna be closer than ya think. Nevada 27, Southern Utah 24.

UM-Western at Eastern Washington: Mick Delaney's old team in a what-were-they thinking matchup that won't go well. EWU 59, UM-Western 0.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: 2014 Season Predictions: Week 1

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:48 pm

just a few problems.....
EWU over Dillon - 58-14
NMSU doesn't score.
UC Davis scores 21.
Wyoming loses by less than 3. sorry.
MSU does win.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

basincat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by basincat » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:06 pm

Montanabob wrote:just a few problems.....
EWU over Dillon - 58-14
NMSU doesn't score.
UC Davis scores 21.
Wyoming loses by less than 3. sorry.
MSU does win.

EWU plays Sam Houston the first game of the whole year.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:08 pm

EWU plays twice?

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:10 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Thought I'd start a series of week-by-week predictions. I'll do a week every 4-5 days. Feel free to make your own picks, or insult mine (like you need permission) and maybe we can pass the time of these long two months before practice starts on Aug. 4.

WEEK ONE
Portland State at Oregon State: Another upset in Corvallis? Probably not, but PSU showed some flashes last season and could be improved in 2014. OSU 49, PSU 24.

Sam Houston at EWU: A lot of the parts are missing at SHSU, but I bet they still have some talent in reserve. Not enough to beat EWU though. EWU 41, SHSU 28.

WSU at Arizona State: Not gonna happen. ASU 55, WSU 7.

Idaho State at Utah: Kramer's teams tend to show up for play up games. They make a game of it. Utah 38, ISU 27.

North Dakota at San Jose State: SJSU has silently been building a decent program. Tough day for UND. SJSU 48, UND 17.

Incarnate Word at Sacramento State: A win for the Big Sky and pick-me-up for SSU after losing its coach, but not a surprise. SSU 38, Word 17.

Montana at Wyoming: Will Wyoming have enough talent to offset the overhaul in offensive philosphy? Even if they don't their defense should give them the edge. Wyoming 20, Montana 13.

Montana State at Arkansas State: ASU is 28-11 the past three years, but this just reminds me too much of 2006. Montana State 19, Arkansas State 10.

UC Davis at Stanford: Wouldn't this be a shocker? Not gonna be a shocker. Stanford 58, UC Davis 3.

Northern Arizona at San Diego State: Life without Bauman begins...poorly. SDSU 38, NAU 10.

Cal Poly at New Mexico State: Possibly the easiest FCS over FBS game to pick. Cal Poly 28, NMSU 14.

Southern Utah at Nevada: Gonna be closer than ya think. Nevada 27, Southern Utah 24.

UM-Western at Eastern Washington: Mick Delaney's old team in a what-were-they thinking matchup that won't go well. EWU 59, UM-Western 0.
Someone must be bored! I argee with all picks, but I don't think SUU keeps it close with Nevada more like 35-17; and the Griz only get 7 whole Bohl pounds outs 28 on the ground.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:01 pm

Utah wins by 24

Wyoming must score at least 30 to win

MSU feels the growing pains of a new QB and inexperienced WR's: ASU 38 MSU 17

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:03 am

catbooster wrote:EWU plays twice?
Sort of. They play Aug. 23, which is a week before everyone else. I didn't want to just have one game for Week 1, but I didn't want to leave out that game, so I just bunched it into Week 1 with all the others. EWU plays again on Aug. 30, which is why they're listed twice.

BSC Standings
EWU 2-0
Cal Poly 1-0
MSU 1-0
SSU 1-0
UNC 0-0
ISU 0-1
UM 0-1
NAU 0-1
UND 0-1
PSU 0-1
SUU 0-1
WSU 0-1
UCD 0-1

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:37 am

We're going to surprise a lot of people early on. The expected drop off at QB, RB, and on defense isn't there. All three units are actually better than 2014. McGhee was hurt most of the season and Prukop brings a whole different skill set and the offense is going to look much different. No more, "hey! We're going to hand it to Cody now! Come and get him!" The OL will be better and the backs are much faster. On defense only one position has a drop off and its slight. Most have improvement and a few are the same.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:51 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:We're going to surprise a lot of people early on. The expected drop off at QB, RB, and on defense isn't there. All three units are actually better than 2014. McGhee was hurt most of the season and Prukop brings a whole different skill set and the offense is going to look much different. No more, "hey! We're going to hand it to Cody now! Come and get him!" The OL will be better and the backs are much faster. On defense only one position has a drop off and its slight. Most have improvement and a few are the same.
So Prukup has been annointed?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:56 am

allcat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:We're going to surprise a lot of people early on. The expected drop off at QB, RB, and on defense isn't there. All three units are actually better than 2014. McGhee was hurt most of the season and Prukop brings a whole different skill set and the offense is going to look much different. No more, "hey! We're going to hand it to Cody now! Come and get him!" The OL will be better and the backs are much faster. On defense only one position has a drop off and its slight. Most have improvement and a few are the same.
If someone is better than Prukop I haven't seen it yet. If so, then we're even better at QB than I thought. \:D/

basincat

Post by basincat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:17 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
allcat wrote:
If someone is better than Prukop I haven't seen it yet. If so, then we're even better at QB than I thought. \:D/

You haven't seen anything yet, because you haven't seen him on the field on Saturdays.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:22 am

basincat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
allcat wrote:

You haven't seen anything yet, because you haven't seen him on the field on Saturdays.
? Yes I have.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:53 am

I have too. If it's not Prukop, I think its a surprise.

catdaddy7

Post by catdaddy7 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:35 pm

These were my thoughts.I see our offense being faster, better than last year. The other key element no one has mentioned yet
is that our O-line is going to be pretty formidable next year.

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:14 pm

catdaddy7 wrote:
These were my thoughts.I see our offense being faster, better than last year. The other key element no one has mentioned yet
Ya... I think our O Line could possibly be one of those flat out dominant units (Like UM a few years ago and NDSU lately). That paired with a deep stable of talented and diverse RB's, and a mobile QB, let's just say I'm excited about the possibility.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:49 pm

catatac wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:
Ya... I think our O Line could possibly be one of those flat out dominant units (Like UM a few years ago and NDSU lately). That paired with a deep stable of talented and diverse RB's, and a mobile QB, let's just say I'm excited about the possibility.
I've been saying since before the 2013 season that the MSU run game would be one to watch out for in 2014. I guess we'll see if I'm right.

toM StUber

SacHornetFan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SacHornetFan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:20 am

Not to nitpick, but we play at Incarnate Word in week one. Also, we are not SSU (that's Sonoma State). We use the SAC three-letter acronym as well.

What the hell is an Aggie (ucdavis)??

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:31 am

TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:
I've been saying since before the 2013 season that the MSU run game would be one to watch out for in 2014. I guess we'll see if I'm right.
I'm thinking that our OL will be one of our stronger units this year and with the backs we have, it will buy some time for a new QB to get acclimated. If fact, if whoever winds up being QB can make his throws to keep the offense balances, it could be a most productive year. Why I tend to favor that the OL will be improved over last year is that I'm betting that the game will slow down for a couple more of these guys up front (which often happens when they are about juniors). I think through last season it had slowed down early in the year for Catalano(as a Junior) and that is about it.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:00 pm

codecat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:
I'm thinking that our OL will be one of our stronger units this year and with the backs we have, it will buy some time for a new QB to get acclimated. If fact, if whoever winds up being QB can make his throws to keep the offense balances, it could be a most productive year. Why I tend to favor that the OL will be improved over last year is that I'm betting that the game will slow down for a couple more of these guys up front (which often happens when they are about juniors). I think through last season it had slowed down early in the year for Catalano(as a Junior) and that is about it.
From what I've heard it'll big the biggest and strongest line we've had. Quite a bit bigger than 2011 and 2012 at just under 300 on average with Catalano at center. Over 300 with Horn at center. I've heard from several people that Flynn is very strong. Also heard Catalano and Weidenaar haves gained a ton of strength over the past year-and-a-half. I haven't heard on Godecke, Eekhoff, and Horn, but I wouldn't take that to mean that they're soft.

toM StUber

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:43 pm

Dakota Prukop ‏@DakotaPrukop 3h

Nobody out worked bobcat football today. Fact. #whateverittakes #2Rings

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."