2014 Bobcat Football Review & Preview

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue May 27, 2014 10:37 am

Apologies for the slowness of Bobcat Beat on this site the last couple of weeks. I'm dedicating almost all my time to this year's Bobcat Football Review & Preview magazine.

The BN guys don't like solicitation on the board for advertising, so they said they'd give me one shot. Here's the only post I'll make about this. Any specific questions I'll answer via email or PM.

This year's magazine will be 135 pages of full color with stunning photography and what we hope is a slew of award-winning stories. We will again print 25,000 copies and distribute them for free all over the state. Our state-wide presence in distribution and advertising has already grown a tremendous amount.

Here's my recent radio ad outlining how to advertise:

http://bobcatnation.com/node/868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This year's issue will include stories on the 30th anniversary of MSU's last football national title, the history of the Cat Prowl and the MSU spirit squad, a tribute to Conner Firstman, the inspirational story of Koni Dole, profiles on legends like Bill Kollar and Don Hass, coaches like Kane Ioane and Bo Beck, a detailed look at last season's downfall through the eyes of the 2013 senior class, a history of the Cat-Griz rivalry when the game was played in Butte, stories on the quarterback battle and the linebacking corps, profiles on current players like Odin Coe, a full Big Sky Conference preview section and much more. I'm writing 33 of the 37 stories. We promise it will be an even bigger and better version of last year's magazine.

If you're a business owner in Montana, I can't think of a better way to advertise. We commissioned a feasibility study throughout the state a few months ago and it's estimated that between 250,000 and 300,000 people got their hands on last year's edition. As a free publication, it's something that will stay on coffee tables, book shelves and in waiting rooms for a full year. Please contact me if you have any interest in helping us bring this project to completion.

To contact me to find out more about advertising, email me at BobcatBeat56@gmail.com or call me at 406-531-9998.

You can also reach Felix Marquez at 406-585-1205 or via email at photo@gallery4photography.com.

Thank you! And we will again pass out as many magazines as we can during my pre-game tailgate radio show on the Eagle so even if you don't advertise, please come get your copy!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2014 Bobcat Football Review & Preview

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Bump. We are in desperate need of support if this project is to become a reality. Please contact me if you're interested in supporting our project. Thanks!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:53 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Bump. We are in desperate need of support if this project is to become a reality. Please contact me if you're interested in supporting our project. Thanks!
Are you looking for advertising or donations or both? I don't have anything to advertise, but I'd be glad to donate. C'mon Bobcats lets help him, and Bobcat Nation, out. This kind of thing pays off for the program and all of us.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Complete transparency: We didn't make a dollar off last year's issue. We are trying to find a way to break even with this one as well.

Anything helps. To discuss further how to support if you don't have anything to advertise, please shoot me an email!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:19 am

Team up with the photgraphy kid, put some of his photos in the mag, with directions to a website for ordering copies. The website gives you a kickback for the referals.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:36 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Complete transparency: We didn't make a dollar off last year's issue. We are trying to find a way to break even with this one as well.

Anything helps. To discuss further how to support if you don't have anything to advertise, please shoot me an email!
Last season, you directed us to email you for a copy. I didn't receive a response or a copy.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:09 am

Walk-on wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Complete transparency: We didn't make a dollar off last year's issue. We are trying to find a way to break even with this one as well.

Last season, you directed us to email you for a copy. I didn't receive a response or a copy.
ditto

I'm willing to pay for a copy. I don't get to Bozeman, or Montana, very often any more.

Maybe an on-line ordering mechanism could work?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:13 am

JDoub wrote:
Walk-on wrote:

ditto

I'm willing to pay for a copy. I don't get to Bozeman, or Montana, very often any more.

We had an online ordering mechanism and I directed everyone there. It was thru this site. I'm sorry if you missed it.
allcat wrote:Team up with the photgraphy kid, put some of his photos in the mag, with directions to a website for ordering copies. The website gives you a kickback for the referals.
I'm not sure who you are talking about, but I already have a photographer. His name is Felix Marquez and he's world-class. He's shot more than a dozen Super Bowls and the last half-dozen Olympics. He's done these sort of publications before for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:14 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
JDoub wrote:
Walk-on wrote:

ditto

We had an online ordering mechanism and I directed everyone there. It was thru this site. I'm sorry if you missed it.
allcat wrote:Team up with the photgraphy kid, put some of his photos in the mag, with directions to a website for ordering copies. The website gives you a kickback for the referals.
I'm not sure who you are talking about, but I already have a photographer. His name is Felix Marquez and he's world-class. He's shot more than a dozen Super Bowls and the last half-dozen Olympics. He's done these sort of publications before for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Just to answer your question, I'm guessing he's talking about Andy Austin.

catscat

Post by catscat » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:21 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:

Just to answer your question, I'm guessing he's talking about Andy Austin.
And here's the web site. http://www.peakphotographymt.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:31 am

I'm sure Colter appreciates everyone trying to help, but he said he needs help with funds (ads, donors), not photographers, etc.

catscat

Post by catscat » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:42 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:I'm sure Colter appreciates everyone trying to help, but he said he needs help with funds (ads, donors), not photographers, etc.
Original post said he could get "kickbacks" for referrals. I think that means funds. I don't think anyone is suggesting he hire Andy Austin as his photographer, just trying to help him out with revenue.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

catman50
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by catman50 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:08 am

I ordered a copy of the magazine last year on this site and received my copy in the mail. I also found a few stacks of them while I was in Bozeman for free. I have two now, but I will order a copy from Coulter to help support him :wink:

Andy Austin has great photos! I have one he took of the Gold Rush game after the new stadium addition was completed hanging on my wall, love it!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:12 pm

In an effort to let many Bobcat fans support this endeavor as possible, we are adding a new layer to the advertising. Along with quarter, half and full-page ads, we will also have a section, either two or four pages depending on how many people step up to the plate, for donations or sponsorships. If you're a small business owner or a Bobcat support, for $200, we will run your business card on a page for all sponsors. If you'd like to simply donate to the project under your name for whatever amount you deem necessary, that is also an option.

Please email me if you are interested in this option. Again, we will have to get two full pages worth of commitments from the sponsorship side to make the business card idea work. As far as donations, that could be as little as a half page of names to as much as we have room for. If you're willing to help us bring this project to fruition and you support what we do, please contact me.

In an effort to generate more interest, here's the full list of stories for this year's publication:

1) The Cat Prowl by Cynthia Logan — The walk from the locker rooms in the Fieldhouse to the team room at Bobcat Stadium has become a fixture of game days in Bozeman. What’s the history of this integral part of Saturdays in the fall? What does it mean to players, coaches, fans and most importantly the Bozeman community?

2) The Spirit Squad by Cynthia Logan — The football players in the Treasure State are deified and put thousands of people in the seats, but the dance team and the cheer squad are integral parts of the game-day experience as well.
3) Conner Firstman by Colter Nuanez — The 21-year-old MSU film student left an indelible mark on Montana State and the Big Sky Conference before his death on March 1 after a 3-year battle with cancer.

4) Koni Dole by Colter Nuanez — The Huntley Project standout seemed well on his way to achieving his life-long dream of earning a scholarship to play for the Bobcats when he broke his leg during his junior season for the Red Devils. Complications for the injury caused Dole to have his right leg amputated from the knee down. Less than three months later, he was back competing on the wrestling mat. Seven months later, he was competing in Montana State’s individual camp with the help of a cheetah blade prosthetic blade. By February, MSU head coach Rob Ash asked Dole to join the Bobcats in the fall as a preferred walk-on. His story of perseverance is unparalleled.

Legends
5) The 1984 National championship team by Colter Nuanez— This will be the 30th anniversary of Montana State’s greatest team. Montana State hasn’t had a national champion in football since. A slew of MSU Hall of Famers played for the ’84 Cats, including Mark Fellows, Joe Bignell and Kelly Bradley.

6) Bill Kollar by Colter Nuanez — The MSU Hall of Famer was the last Bobcat to play in the Shrine Game. He was recently inducted to the Shrine Game Hall of Fame. He’s been the defensive line coach for the Houston Texans for nearly a decade, helping turn JJ Watt, Brooks Reed and Mario Williams into Pro Bowlers. He’s also helped mentor MSU defensive line coach Bo Beck and taught Beck tricks he’s passed on to Bobcat legends like Dane Fletcher, Caleb Schreibeis and Brad Daly.

7) Don Hass by Colter Nuanez— The Iron Tumbleweed set numerous records at Montana State that still stand to this day. After holding the career touchdowns record for nearly 50 years, the mark finally fell. Following his playing career, Hass embarked on a unique post-graduate career that took him around the world, all the while encompassing what it means to be a true Bobcat.

8 ) The Daws by Colter Nuanez — Brad was an All-America for Sonny Holland back in the 1970s. Dusty was an All-America for Mike Kramer in the early 2000s. Together, they are the only father-son All-America duo in school history.
Coaches

9) Kane Ioane by Colter Nuanez — The Billings native is widely considered one of the greatest Bobcats of all time. He was a four-time All-America safety, helping the Bobcats rise from an 0-11 season in 2000 to defeating Montana in Missoula in 2002 and winning the Big Sky title in 2003. Since his playing days, Ioane has helped mentor some of the best linebackers in school history, including All-America Bobby Daly and Big Sky Defensive MVP Jody Owens.

10) Bo Beck by Colter Nuanez — Beck came to Montana State with Rob Ash. Since the turn of the 2009 season, Beck has put together a string of five straight seasons with an All-America, including the last two seasons with the Buck Buchanan Award winner coming from MSU’s defensive line. What can the Colorado State alum do for an encore?

11) Cody Kempt by Colter Nuanez — The Bobcats’ new wide receivers coach is a former Bobcat and the son of a Bobcat. One of the top recruits in the country, he went to Oregon out of high school. He lost out and transferred to Montana State, where he started at quarterback for two years. In 2010, a hotshot named DeNarius McGhee beat him out. Kempt sat on the bench for his fifth season as McGhee began to write his own legend. The class and grace he showed after being benched sparked his foray into a coaching career.

Historic stories
12) The Missing Years by Paul Burns — From 1905 to 1908, there was no football at Montana State College. During the dawn of college athletics, it was typical to use ineligible non-student players to bolster the football roster. When several football players died from across the country, it caused the controversy to come to a head with the administration banning the sport for three years in Bozeman.

13) Cat-Griz in Butte by Pat Kearney — For decades, the Cats and the Grizzlies loaded up on train cars and ventured to the Mining City to play one of college football’s greatest rivalries at a mile high.

Current players
14) What happened in 2013? by Colter Nuanez — Montana State entered the 2013 season with sky-high expectations. With legends like DeNarius McGhee, Cody Kirk, Tanner Bleskin and Brad Daly leading the charge, the Bobcats were expected to contend for a national title. Instead, MSU’s dream season went down in flames as the ‘Cats ended the year on a 3-game losing streak. What happened?

15) The quarterback battle by Colter Nuanez — DeNarius McGhee etched himself into the fabric of Montana State over the last five seasons. He won more games, threw for more yards and more touchdowns and represented the university with more charisma than any quarterback before him. Now MSU must find a new starter. Will it be Great Falls product Jake Bleskin, the man the coaches call Steady Eddy? Will it be hotshot Dakota Prukop, a tremendous athlete who hails from Texas? Or will it be Tanner Roderick, the hometown boy who set Montana aflame during the most dominant prep season in Treasure State history back in 2010?

16) Odin Coe By Colter Nuanez — The last three players who have manned MSU’s Bandit defensive end spot have earned All-America honors. The last two have won the Buchanan Award. Coe is the next guy in line. But he refuses to identify himself as simply a football player. Will this hinder his quest to define his own legacy?

17) Trio of senior linebackers by Colter Nuanez — Alex Singleton plays with unrivaled passion and is on a mission to prove his All-Big Sky slight a season ago was a mistake. Na’a Moeakiola was a captain in 2013, but missed the entire season with shoulder surgey. Cole Moore is a former walk-on quarterback who has earned himself team captain status as well. Together, the trio could form the best linebacker trio in the FCS.

18) A Different Vibe by Colter Nuanez — Montana State opened spring drills in March of 2014 with a revitalized attitude despite losing a slew of program pillars. Just how are the Bobcats different?

Around the Big Sky

19) Big Sky Conference Outlook by Colter Nuanez — a look at the entire 13-team league with a breakdown of the composite schedule, a prediction for the league finish and a full All-Big Sky first and second team.

20) Montana State preview By Colter Nuanez — MSU missed the playoffs for the first time since 2009 last season. What can the ‘Cats do to rebound?

21) A look at Montana State’s non-conference opponents by Colter Nuanez — MSU plays at Central Arkansas and hosts Black Hills State, Eastern Washington and Central Arkansas in the non-conference.

22) Montana Grizzlies preview by Colter Nuanez
23) Eastern Washington preview by Colter Nuanez
24) North Dakota preview by Colter Nuanez
25) Sacramento State preview by Colter Nuanez
26) UC Davis preview by Colter Nuanez
27) Weber State preview by Colter Nuanez
28) Cal Poly preview by Colter Nuanez
29) Portland State preview by Colter Nuanez
30) Idaho State preview by Colter Nuanez
31) Southern Utah by Colter Nuanez
32) Northern Arizona by Colter Nuanez
33) Northern Colorado by Colter Nuanez

Cat-Griz
34) 2013 Cat-Griz recap by Colter Nuanez — The Bobcats’ demise was sealed with a 28-14 loss to Montana at home, denying MSU a fourth straight playoff bid and ensuring the Grizzlies were officially back.

35) The last stand by Colter Nuanez — UM captains Jordan Tripp and Brock Coyle were the last ties to the Bobby Hauck era. MSU legends like Brad Daly, Tanner Bleskin and Cody Kirk wanted to end their careers with 3-1 records against the Griz. Their thoughts entering one of the emotional finales of their careers.

36) MSU’s recruits by Colter Nuanez — Montana State swung for the fences during the 2013-14 recruiting period. On paper, it looks like the Bobcats hit a home run. MSU signed 23 prep recruits and transfers, including a 4-star defensive end from a California powerhouse, a stud running back who fell out of favor at Nevada and a lockdown corner who intercepted Jameis Winston while also a member of the Wolfpack. Meet the new Bobcats.

37) A state of the MSU program by Colter Nuanez — Was Montana State’s string of three straight Big Sky titles signs of an era of dominance or simply a flash in the pan?

gtfcat84
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gtfcat84 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:21 am

Colter,

I don't know if you are attending the Bobcat Scramble in Great Falls next Friday, but that might be an avenue for you to drum up some more sponsor money. The event is always well attended and after 18 holes and a few adult beverages, you might find some open checkbooks.

'You can't ride home on a bowl of goat' - Ron White

falconcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by falconcat » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:04 am

Bump....Need to spread the word about the sponsorship/business card opportunties....Let the 'count down clock' start. :bow:

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:39 pm

Officially less than a month to help us get this thing done. We are making progress. My stories are almost complete. I reached all 13 coaches in the conference. The Big Sky preview section will be improved and the other stories will be excellent. I've done almost 100 interviews totaling almost 80 hours for this thing. For the 1984 story, I'm doing a long form oral history with quotes from the great players, coaches and administrators from that time. It's going to be pages long and trend setting in this state. It will be worth grabbing a copy just for that.

Anything helps and I absolutely promise that the exposure this publication gives anyone who participates will be well worth the value. A quarter million people around the state will see this thing at the very least and it can do nothing but grow. Thanks for the continued readership and support! Email me if interested!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:11 pm

One final bump. Our advertising deadline is Tuesday, July 15. We are down to the wire. We still need all the help we can get just to get this thing to press. Please contact me if you're interested. Anything helps!

catman50
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by catman50 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:One final bump. Our advertising deadline is Tuesday, July 15. We are down to the wire. We still need all the help we can get just to get this thing to press. Please contact me if you're interested. Anything helps!
Will you ship copies to those of us out of state and willing to buy a copy?

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:23 am

Is there a street date for this? I'm getting anxious to give it a read!