27(1) days and counting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Sotallytober
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: 43(17) days and counting

Post by Sotallytober » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:07 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:I don't think of Newell as a backup running back. I think of the So. Utah game and how the coaches left Kirk and Johnson in when they were limping around and didn't give him a carry until the fourth quarter and he got to the hole quickly (the first RB to do so all game) and scored from 13 yards out, but he didn't get another carry in the game.
That's exactly what I think of too. Lots of people around me said "Why wasn't he playing the whole game?"

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:28 am

Sotallytober wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:I don't think of Newell as a backup running back. I think of the So. Utah game and how the coaches left Kirk and Johnson in when they were limping around and didn't give him a carry until the fourth quarter and he got to the hole quickly (the first RB to do so all game) and scored from 13 yards out, but he didn't get another carry in the game.
That's exactly what I think of too. Lots of people around me said "Why wasn't he playing the whole game?"
I was saying the same thing at home. I could not believe that we were not using our backups at all that game. Especially when both Newell and Brekke had done well with the limited opportunities that they were given last year.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:40 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Sotallytober wrote:
I was saying the same thing at home. I could not believe that we were not using our backups at all that game. Especially when both Newell and Brekke had done well with the limited opportunities that they were given last year.
Agree. This is one area where I really disagreed with that decision. In fact I think I even remember Ash or at least some coach commenting about how they earned it and deserved to play. Yes, but are you sure that was giving us the best opportunity to win the game? I don't think so.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:46 am

catatac wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Sotallytober wrote:
Agree. This is one area where I really disagreed with that decision. In fact I think I even remember Ash or at least some coach commenting about how they earned it and deserved to play. Yes, but are you sure that was giving us the best opportunity to win the game? I don't think so.
Count me in on that one - was a question I had stored for coach Odems but will probably never know the reason now since he is gone. Although some will strongly disagree, I felt the same way that Bleskin should have been in for McGhee a few times late in the season too.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:40 pm

codecat wrote:
catatac wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Sotallytober wrote:
Count me in on that one - was a question I had stored for coach Odems but will probably never know the reason now since he is gone. Although some will strongly disagree, I felt the same way that Bleskin should have been in for McGhee a few times late in the season too.
I am of the opinion (although I'm probably a minority of one) that we should have at least 2 two's in the game all the time - just rotating which ones are in - in order to give them the experience to have them become one and a half's and eventually 1s. Might prevent some drop off when the #1 gets hurt, too.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:52 pm

codecat wrote:
catatac wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Sotallytober wrote:
I agree...having quality depth isn't really much of an asset, if the coaching staff is unwilling to utilize it. That's why I tend to disagree with those who place all/most of the blame for our late season collapse on injuries. On the one hand you have to respect Ash for his loyalty, and I know it would have been difficult to bench D-Mac and/or Kirk late in the season, particularly in Cat-Griz, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:07 pm

John K wrote:
codecat wrote:
catatac wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Sotallytober wrote:
I agree...having quality depth isn't really much of an asset, if the coaching staff is unwilling to utilize it. That's why I tend to disagree with those who place all/most of the blame for our late season collapse on injuries. On the one hand you have to respect Ash for his loyalty, and I know it would have been difficult to bench D-Mac and/or Kirk late in the season, particularly in Cat-Griz, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
Careful, I made mention of this late in the season last year and some people viewed it as blasphemy. I'll say it again, if your #1 is hurting and is not
up to speed, you owe it to the rest of the team to play the next guy in line even if if it's your posterboy.

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:35 pm

catatac wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Sotallytober wrote:
I would bet my left nut if Ash said that he definitely didn't mean it in the context you just used it. Even in the big sky level you play your best players, or else you won't last long. When someone does something good in a limited role that doesn't necessarily mean they should automatically get playing time. The guys that were playing were consistent and given the same opportunities in spring ball, practices, etc shined more consistently. I bet that is how he wanted whomever he told that to, to take it.

Having said that I'm real excited to see Newell, Brekke, Young, Bleskin/Prukop, Thomas, Na'a play this year.

If your left, you aren’t right.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
catatac wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Sotallytober wrote:
I would bet my left nut if Ash said that he definitely didn't mean it in the context you just used it. Even in the big sky level you play your best players, or else you won't last long. When someone does something good in a limited role that doesn't necessarily mean they should automatically get playing time. The guys that were playing were consistent and given the same opportunities in spring ball, practices, etc shined more consistently. I bet that is how he wanted whomever he told that to, to take it.

Having said that I'm real excited to see Newell, Brekke, Young, Bleskin/Prukop, Thomas, Na'a play this year.
Under normal circumstances, I'd agree with you. Obviously D-Mac and Kirk earned their starting roles. But late in the season, if they were injured severely enough so as to significantly impact their performance (which appeared to be the case), and if a team has quality backups (which we did IMO), then maybe the backups should have been given more playing time.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:32 pm

John K wrote: Under normal circumstances, I'd agree with you. Obviously D-Mac and Kirk earned their starting roles. But late in the season, if they were injured severely enough so as to significantly impact their performance (which appeared to be the case), and if a team has quality backups (which we did IMO), then maybe the backups should have been given more playing time.
And, haven't the stars over the years been quoted as saying they would rather have the team win than them have individual stats, etc.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:56 pm

John K wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
catatac wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Sotallytober wrote:

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree with you. Obviously D-Mac and Kirk earned their starting roles. But late in the season, if they were injured severely enough so as to significantly impact their performance (which appeared to be the case), and if a team has quality backups (which we did IMO), then maybe the backups should have been given more playing time.
That's assuming that the back ups would of came in and done better. Just because they were banged up doesn't mean they weren't still more efficient than their backups. Long story short I find it hard to believe in this day and age a coach wouldn't play a better player over another, that's why I think they were still in.

If your left, you aren’t right.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
John K wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
catatac wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Sotallytober wrote:

That's assuming that the back ups would of came in and done better. Just because they were banged up doesn't mean they weren't still more efficient than their backups. Long story short I find it hard to believe in this day and age a coach wouldn't play a better player over another, that's why I think they were still in.
Obviously, none of us will ever know that for sure. I tend to believe Ash may have simply been being loyal to two players who had contributed so much to the program over the last four seasons. That win or lose, he felt they deserved to be on the field during those final two games, and that it would have been unfair to them to have the fate of their senior season resting in the hands of other players. I'm not going to be overly critical of him for that..it's understandable and admirable to a certain degree. But with the way our offense struggled in those final two games, I think he owed it to all the other players in the program, to give Brekke/Newell and maybe even Bleskin a chance, to see if they could have given the offense a spark.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:29 pm

John K wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
John K wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
catatac wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Sotallytober wrote:

Obviously, none of us will ever know that for sure. I tend to believe Ash may have simply been being loyal to two players who had contributed so much to the program over the last four seasons. That win or lose, he felt they deserved to be on the field during those final two games, and that it would have been unfair to them to have the fate of their senior season resting in the hands of other players. I'm not going to be overly critical of him for that..it's understandable and admirable to a certain degree. But with the way our offense struggled in those final two games, I think he owed it to all the other players in the program, to give Brekke/Newell and maybe even Bleskin a chance, to see if they could have given the offense a spark.
Out of curiosity, do you have any information as to whether Ash made this decision, whether the position coached did, or if it was a consensus thing between the two of them?

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:35 pm

codecat wrote:
John K wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
John K wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
catatac wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Sotallytober wrote:

Out of curiosity, do you have any information as to whether Ash made this decision, whether the position coached did, or if it was a consensus thing between the two of them?
I have no idea, although I would tend to believe that Ash probably made the final call, after consulting with the position coaches. That's just complete speculation though.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:28 pm

John K wrote:
codecat wrote:
John K wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
John K wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
catatac wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Sotallytober wrote:

I have no idea, although I would tend to believe that Ash probably made the final call, after consulting with the position coaches. That's just complete speculation though.
Thanks, I always wondered just how much latitude he gives the position coaches - that will be a question to ask him some day. I do know that by his own admission, he restricted Cramsey offensively (mutual I think) based on the personnel's strong/weak suits.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: 42(16) days and counting

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:24 am

42 - Trevan Timmer: an intriguing player whose stock was on the rise before an injury during his senior year of HS. It'll be interesting to follow his development after redshirting in 2013.

(16) - Cole Moore: the senior captain is one of the most interesting stories on the football team and is a testament to the length MSU coaches go to find players. Born in England, went to multiple high schools across the U.S., and recently returned from Portugal to work on a new home with Habitat for Humanity for a family recently removed from a domestically violent situation. Moore is a linchpin at LB in MSU's defense where he has to be versatile enough to cover WRs regularly. He was second on the team in INTs and pass breakups.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:03 am

codecat wrote:Out of curiosity, do you have any information as to whether Ash made this decision, whether the position coached did, or if it was a consensus thing between the two of them?
I have no idea, although I would tend to believe that Ash probably made the final call, after consulting with the position coaches. That's just complete speculation though.[/quote]

Thanks, I always wondered just how much latitude he gives the position coaches - that will be a question to ask him some day. I do know that by his own admission, he restricted Cramsey offensively (mutual I think) based on the personnel's strong/weak suits.[/quote]

Please don't take my word as gospel on that. My comments were just total speculation. But it seems logical that Ash would consult with an injured player's position coach before making any final decisions regarding whether that particular player can/should play, or how much he should play.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:25 am

There's been some talk of big egos on last years team. I don't know any of the players well enough to say which players those are, but I'm wondering how much sway they have over the coaches, if any. I hate to think that an injured player that talks TEAM all day would tell the coach he's OK to go back in when he's hurt.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:36 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:There's been some talk of big egos on last years team. I don't know any of the players well enough to say which players those are, but I'm wondering how much sway they have over the coaches, if any. I hate to think that an injured player that talks TEAM all day would tell the coach he's OK to go back in when he's hurt.
I think most kids that are starters don't want to lose their spot, and they think they can play through it. It is up to the coaches to sit them down, not the kid.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:51 am

allcat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:There's been some talk of big egos on last years team. I don't know any of the players well enough to say which players those are, but I'm wondering how much sway they have over the coaches, if any. I hate to think that an injured player that talks TEAM all day would tell the coach he's OK to go back in when he's hurt.
I think most kids that are starters don't want to lose their spot, and they think they can play through it. It is up to the coaches to sit them down, not the kid.
I agree. We generally praise players who are willing to "play through pain", and we respect players who always want to be on the field, even if they're nicked up or nursing minor injuries. We want players who are competitive, and competitive people are going to feel like they're still better than the next guy, even if they're not 100%. Some fans were critical of Foster last season, because he had to come out for at least a few plays, once or twice in every game.