O Line Best 5

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

O Line Best 5

Post by Darth Yoda » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:01 pm

Here's my new thinking. First, I think Catalano should be our center. End of discussion. I really like the idea of our best, most senior, and captain offensive lineman at center. If you start with that assumption, what is the best place for the next 4? From what I understand, Horn has eaned his way on the field and is playing at a level that can approach 'beast mode'. If that's true and I believe it is, my vote for the 1st team starting fall camp (from left to right) is Weidenaar, Godecke, Catalano, Horn (at guard), and Flynn (at tackle). I believe Flynn can be better and faster at OT than Eekhoff. We seem thin at this point and schooling Flynn up at OT might pay dividends down the road based on the injury situation.

What are some other ideas?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: O Line Best 5

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:46 pm

Who started at center for the scrimmage ? Personally, I'd start Horn so we have a returning starter at center in '15. Then the only spot open in '15 would be for RT.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:06 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Who started at center for the scrimmage ? Personally, I'd start Horn so we have a returning starter at center in '15. Then the only spot open in '15 would be for RT.
I have been hoping the same thing for the same reasons.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:37 pm

Nope, put your best man at center! No more discussion about "next year" when you let the coaches develop depth but play your best card in your hand this year.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:06 am

Let me be more clear, I hope that Horn has and is developing into the best choice for center period. As a fan I get to hope all I want and I have plenty of trust that the coaches will make the best choice for who plays where.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

hardhatcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by hardhatcat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:14 am

Quinn and Horn split time at center. There was only one snap in the scrimmage that caught my attention as being bad. Not sure who was at center. I know there is more to center than snaps, but it was a glaring problem last year.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:17 am

catsrback76 wrote:Nope, put your best man at center! No more discussion about "next year" when you let the coaches develop depth but play your best card in your hand this year.
I was assuming :P that the competition at center was pretty close. If it was a dead heat thru spring. I'd pick Horn.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:58 am

Hawks86 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:Nope, put your best man at center! No more discussion about "next year" when you let the coaches develop depth but play your best card in your hand this year.
I was assuming :P that the competition at center was pretty close. If it was a dead heat thru spring. I'd pick Horn.
This, but with the caveat that he can make the correct calls consistently as well.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:58 pm

I don't typically notice O-Line play (unless something terrible happens on the play) but I can tell you guys that there were a few times when I found myself locked on Horn and being impressed by how he was manhandling his target. I saw him push a D-lineman back about 5 yards on one running play and very nicely stone walled a linebacker on another. Just my observations. Anyone else notice that?