Scrimmage

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Re: Scrimmage

Post by kmax » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:43 pm

kcatz wrote:I thought it sounded like Tyler Wiltgen announcing does anyone know for sure.
No, Tyler wasn't one of the announcer candidates. I got the opportunity to be the spotter for a friend who was one of the candidates today, was a really cool experience.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:25 pm

I heard heavy breathing over the PA system a couple times...had to giggle.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:58 pm

vike_king wrote:I heard heavy breathing over the PA system a couple times...had to giggle.
Yeah there apparently wasn't a "mute" button...

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:58 am

So, how did the defense look during the scrimmage? There was to be 40 plays where tackling was allowed. Did they seem to finish the plays off well?

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:03 am

catsrback76 wrote:So, how did the defense look during the scrimmage? There was to be 40 plays where tackling was allowed. Did they seem to finish the plays off well?
We walked in right after the only touchdown.....from that point on the defense dominated. There were some nice hits.

I will take back some of that, there was one nice drive where there should have been a touchdown but a ball was dropped in the endzone.....and the next swing pass was dropped...had to settle for two field goal tries (both kickers were given chances to make every kick) One hit the goal post, the other was good. I think Daly made his.

One other thing was interesting.....the PA guys pronounce Daly with the short a sound....like "don't dally with your friends" I thought it was like the all-american linebackers/defensive ends and pronounced "daily"

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:26 am

vike_king wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:So, how did the defense look during the scrimmage? There was to be 40 plays where tackling was allowed. Did they seem to finish the plays off well?
We walked in right after the only touchdown.....from that point on the defense dominated. There were some nice hits.

I will take back some of that, there was one nice drive where there should have been a touchdown but a ball was dropped in the endzone.....and the next swing pass was dropped...had to settle for two field goal tries (both kickers were given chances to make every kick) One hit the goal post, the other was good. I think Daly made his.

One other thing was interesting.....the PA guys pronounce Daly with the short a sound....like "don't dally with your friends" I thought it was like the all-american linebackers/defensive ends and pronounced "daily"
Thought that too. He pronounced a couple things different.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:23 am

CatBlitz wrote:
vike_king wrote:

He was right. That is actually how you pronounce Daly's name.

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:38 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
vike_king wrote:

Cool, thanks

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:13 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
vike_king wrote:

Awesome, thanks.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:42 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:I couldn't make it to Bozeman today - I'd love to hear how the scrimmage went. Who/what stood out good or bad. Thanks!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Heres the article from MSU:
http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2014/4/1 ... h=football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a couple of my thoughts:
- Brekke has a solid day. We have a TON of running backs
- We should have a great secondary with Bryson Keeton, and Deote Flowers. . . Barnett seemed to be all over the place
- Oline struggled at times
- If the season started tomorrow Prukop would be our starting QB, Daly would be our starting kicker.

Overall it is tough to evaluate with so many players sitting out. Add in Anthony Knight, WaWa Leota, and the stud freshman we have coming in (Herbert, Dodd, Marino ect.) there should be a whole lot of talent come fall.
Pretty much my observations too on all 4 points made about RB's, secondary, OL, and Prukop. Thought that LsSane had a good day too. Prukop had another drive going where there were three incomplete passes in a row that stalled the drive - the second two were good passes and the receivers just dropped (and didn't see the first). We seemed to use the TE's a lot more than we have been, and there were no completed passes that stretched the field.

Edit: Here is KBZK.com's article about it.
http://www.kbzk.com/news/defense-domina ... scrimmage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:12 pm

I watched the QBs most exclusively, from warm ups through the scrimmage. I noticed some inconsistencies in the center snaps but only one that was dangerous.
On the QBs. It was nice to see them side by side in their warm up drills. I can only comment on their athleticism since I didn’t know the plays and consequently their decision process.
1. I would say that Jake Bleskin is the most polished passer; with great feet, nice quick release and good snap on the ball. He threw a long bomb that was overthrown. Too bad because the receiver was wide open. But the fact that he got the ball off says something about his good footwork. He was able to completely pivot his body around to make the throw. Not easy. He appears to be a tough kid and can run well, if not as impressive as the other two. Maybe his arm isn’t as strong as the others, but if one of the others wins the starting roll, I’ll be well impressed with that effort. Plus we would be in good hands if Jake needs to play, and hard pressed to name a better #2 QB in the BSC. I’ll add that I wondered why he didn’t throw to an open guy for more yardage a couple of times. Only the film would tell though.
2. It is fair to compare Dakota Prukop to Jordan Johnson. Very fast runner with a strong arm and throws a beautiful ball. His footwork isn’t as polished as the other two when moving in the pocket. He gets them a little too wide and appears off balance. He offers the ball to the defenders when scrambling too. He will get it stolen from him once the red jersey comes off. If he can put it all together he will be a star. I felt the same about the young Jo-Jo griz when I saw him scrimmage in Billings. (Come to think of it, Joe Montana was there watching his son.)
3. Tanner Roderick moves his feet nice and fluid. Perhaps a result of his basketball training. However he was really laboring to throw in warm-ups. His mechanics are very inconsistent, sometimes winding up for throws, other times nose down, complete duck, then he flings a beauty. Doesn’t seem to get that nice quick release and snap of the wrist. Just when I'm about to write him off he flings it like Dan Marino. Sometimes that comes with trying too hard and needed confidence. I thought he seemed to warm up at full speed though. Perhaps he wasn’t thinking about it when he was at full speed. I have a hunch there is one of those intangibles about him. He is a gamer, a winner for sure. I can’t help but think “what if he came here instead of Nevada?” “Where would he be?” It might appear that he will play wide receiver, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he kept working at QB (in addition to WR) since Quinn McQueary’s health may be questionable. I think Roderick could play QB, but life-events happened and now he is up against and likely outplayed by two very good QBs. Maybe he gets some snaps against Arkansas and/or Black Hills State. It would be worth a look and good to keep him in the arsenal.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire