McGhee shines on MSU Pro Day (Free)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

McGhee shines on MSU Pro Day (Free)

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:23 pm

Ten players work out for four NFL scouts on chilly Wednesday afternoon at Bobcat Stadium.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: McGhee shines on MSU Pro Day (Free)

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:33 pm

That was the most uplifting story on Bobcat football since the NAU win.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:54 pm

Man I hope McGhee turns out to be a Seahawk!

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:06 pm

What?!?!?! Ellis dropped a pass?!?!?! .... NO ..... :shock: :lol:

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:22 pm

I kind of feel like a voyeur looking at those pictures. What is the theory behind stripping them down like that? Is it so the scouts can examine their bodies like cattle judges? :wink:

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:54 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:I kind of feel like a voyeur looking at those pictures. What is the theory behind stripping them down like that? Is it so the scouts can examine their bodies like cattle judges? :wink:

I was kinda wondering the same thing-

"Okay time for the 3 cone drill, I better strip down to my jock strap and show em what I can do"

FTG- GO CATS GO!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:29 pm

I see in the article by Colter that McGhee ran a time in the shuttle that would've been the fastest at the Combine for a QB and that Gale's bench reps would've been the best at the combine for OLBs and his 40 time would've been the 6th best, but it was hand-timed.

Edit: Just noticed that McGhee's 37.5 vert and 10'2" standing broad jump would've been the best at the Combine for QBs. I imagine his shuttle time was measured the same way as they do at the Combine. Anyone know?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:58 pm

msuhunter wrote:What?!?!?! Ellis dropped a pass?!?!?! .... NO ..... :shock: :lol:
LOL. "The shock of it all"

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:13 pm

TomCat88 wrote:I see in the article by Colter that McGhee ran a time in the shuttle that would've been the fastest at the Combine for a QB and that Gale's bench reps would've been the best at the combine for OLBs and his 40 time would've been the 6th best, but it was hand-timed.

Edit: Just noticed that McGhee's 37.5 vert and 10'2" standing broad jump would've been the best at the Combine for QBs. I imagine his shuttle time was measured the same way as they do at the Combine. Anyone know?
I got the impression from Colter's article and tweets that he was timing it himself, and that the official times of the shuttle and cone drills were not shared with spectators/media. So it seems to me that no, they weren't timed the same way.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:10 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:I see in the article by Colter that McGhee ran a time in the shuttle that would've been the fastest at the Combine for a QB and that Gale's bench reps would've been the best at the combine for OLBs and his 40 time would've been the 6th best, but it was hand-timed.

I got the impression from Colter's article and tweets that he was timing it himself, and that the official times of the shuttle and cone drills were not shared with spectators/media. So it seems to me that no, they weren't timed the same way.
Thanks. The bench, vertical and broad jump measurements are solid, but I don't know how significant they are. Will the scouts be impressed that McGhee and Gale put up better numbers in those areas than the players invited to the Combine? Colter said McGhee was throwing the ball well, but I'm not sure if he was any better than the guys testing around the country at Pro Days or the Combine. Anyone know how he stacked up in that area?

toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:33 am

TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

Thanks. The bench, vertical and broad jump measurements are solid, but I don't know how significant they are. Will the scouts be impressed that McGhee and Gale put up better numbers in those areas than the players invited to the Combine? Colter said McGhee was throwing the ball well, but I'm not sure if he was any better than the guys testing around the country at Pro Days or the Combine. Anyone know how he stacked up in that area?
Tom, wouldn't that be a pretty subjective thing based on what each of the scouts are looking for for their own team? I mean, Tim Tebow can throw the ball, but as we know his style only fits a very small niche of team. Make sense?

Seattle with a style of offense built around Wilson might be looking at a DMac as someone who might be able to fit into that kind of system well.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:36 am

A lot of QBs don't throw at combine. Manziel and Bridgewater both sat that portion out at he combine.

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:31 am

TomCat88 wrote:That was the most uplifting story on Bobcat football since the NAU win.
Yeah! Except for the 2nd to the last full paragraph. Was that really necessary? Everybody who follows the Cats knows this, so it isn't news. C'mon Colter. Was that your inner Griz shining through to soil an other wise nice article? Nice "article bomb". :penalty: Thanks for the news though. :coffee:

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:47 am

Walk-on wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:That was the most uplifting story on Bobcat football since the NAU win.
Yeah! Except for the 2nd to the last full paragraph. Was that really necessary? Everybody who follows the Cats knows this, so it isn't news. C'mon Colter. Was that your inner Griz shining through to soil an other wise nice article? Nice "article bomb". :penalty: Thanks for the news though. :coffee:
I wasn't upset by that, I was upset with the end of the season. I am willing to participate if we are going to burn down his house though> :-^

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:59 am

He does that often. Every time I see it I just think of how it's just that much more motivation for our players.

Walk-on

Post by Walk-on » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:09 am

allcat wrote:
Walk-on wrote:
I wasn't upset by that, I was upset with the end of the season. I am willing to participate if we are going to burn down his house though> :-^
:lol: Let's wait till this summer, when he doesn't have much to write about. "Colter bomb" him.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

DicTater
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by DicTater » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:51 am

TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

I would think that for Gale, who was injured a lot of his career, his impressive athleticism will get him on the radar for some free agent opportunities. For DMac, he had such a tough senior year, that his performance has to get him back on the radar of some teams that maybe soured on him last year. Kirk's speed is pretty impressive for a guy who is considered to be a stocky, white, power runner. I didn't realize Gords was so slow. No wonder they never had him in press coverage.

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:05 am

I was intrigued to see that our super fast "burner" wide receiver had an almost identical 40 time to our "slow" bruiser running back.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Speaking of Ellis does anybody find it odd he is on the promotional picture on the back of the scoreboard?

If your left, you aren’t right.

canyoncat

Post by canyoncat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Speaking of Ellis does anybody find it odd he is on the promotional picture on the back of the scoreboard?
I believe that is Shawn Johnson who switched to #4 for his senior year.

GO CATS!!!