Is 2014 wide open?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Is 2014 wide open?

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:50 am

All the top teams (NAU, MSU, EWU, Cal Poly, um, So. Utah) lost a ton of talent, so could this be the year where some team comes out of nowhere to win the BSC? Out of ISU, WSU, PSU, UND, UCD, UNC, SSU do you think could pull that off?

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Is 2014 wide open?

Post by Team10 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:12 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:All the top teams (NAU, MSU, EWU, Cal Poly, um, So. Utah) lost a ton of talent, so could this be the year where some team comes out of nowhere to win the BSC? Out of ISU, WSU, PSU, UND, UCD, UNC, SSU do you think could pull that off?
No. End of thread.

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:19 am

My best guess is that it will boil down to the big three, MSU, Eastern and UM.

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:26 am

If either of the transfer QBs UC Davis brought in can produce, the Aggies could be the sleeper in the league. UCD will have one of the top running backs (Gabe Manzanares) and one of the best offensive lines in the league anchored by senior tackle Ian Joseph and senior center Jay Luchetti. And Ron Gould has proven he can develop RBs. Manzanares set the Big Sky in fire over the last two months of the season. At Cal, Gould coached Justin Forsett, Marshawn Lynch, Javid Best and Shane Vereen at Cal.

That being said, the favorite for the league title is overwhelmingly Eastern Washington in my opinion.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:13 am

This is going to be the year of Benny the Bengal! Idaho State all the way!!! Whoop Whoop!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:02 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:If either of the transfer QBs UC Davis brought in can produce, the Aggies could be the sleeper in the league. UCD will have one of the top running backs (Gabe Manzanares) and one of the best offensive lines in the league anchored by senior tackle Ian Joseph and senior center Jay Luchetti. And Ron Gould has proven he can develop RBs. Manzanares set the Big Sky in fire over the last two months of the season. At Cal, Gould coached Justin Forsett, Marshawn Lynch, Javid Best and Shane Vereen at Cal.

That being said, the favorite for the league title is overwhelmingly Eastern Washington in my opinion.
Yep I agree. Until I see a team slow down EW's offense I don't see any team keeping up with them (especially running teams because they will be behind so fast they can't run anymore and will be forced to pass).

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:18 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:If either of the transfer QBs UC Davis brought in can produce, the Aggies could be the sleeper in the league. UCD will have one of the top running backs (Gabe Manzanares) and one of the best offensive lines in the league anchored by senior tackle Ian Joseph and senior center Jay Luchetti. And Ron Gould has proven he can develop RBs. Manzanares set the Big Sky in fire over the last two months of the season. At Cal, Gould coached Justin Forsett, Marshawn Lynch, Javid Best and Shane Vereen at Cal.

UCD has a great program with some history but they are still a couple years away. It will be EWU pretty easy next year.

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:01 am

I have to agree...I don't see anyone challenging EWU this year, unless they get derailed by injuries. As long as they have Adams and Kupp, the road to the BSC title will be going through Cheney.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:08 am

catdaddy7 wrote:My best guess is that it will boil down to the big three, MSU, Eastern and UM.
Well, I am optimistic as the next guy about the Cats, BUT, we have to break in a new QB, find a go to WR and scrounge up some DE's. All of that does not bode well for a league championship. So, I would not put MSU in the top 3 but rather the top 4. Cal Poly will likely out achieve us this year. Now, next year... OK, I'm down and we are in beast mode. This year.... hmmmmm. Not top 3 IMO.

:coffee:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:04 am

catsrback76 wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:My best guess is that it will boil down to the big three, MSU, Eastern and UM.
Well, I am optimistic as the next guy about the Cats, BUT, we have to break in a new QB, find a go to WR and scrounge up some DE's. All of that does not bode well for a league championship. So, I would not put MSU in the top 3 but rather the top 4. Cal Poly will likely out achieve us this year. Now, next year... OK, I'm down and we are in beast mode. This year.... hmmmmm. Not top 3 IMO.

Lost players equalling a dropoff is the common logic, but I don't how solid it is.

Nebraska lost Tommie Frazier, but won it all the next year. USC lost Carson Palmer, won it all the next year with Leinart. Tennessee lost Peyton Manning, won it all with Tee Martin. Closer to home UM lost Dickenson, but went to finals with Ah Yat. MSU lost Lulay, but went to playoffs and won its first post-season game in 22 years with Rolovich. EWU lost Padron, who started most of their games, and it's entire starting WR corps last year, but didn't miss a beat. I'm sure all of those teams lost some other key players.

The other thing you have to consider is that all the other teams are losing key players also. EWU lost 11 starters, UM loses up to eight guys that migth be in NFL rookie camps this spring. I'm more concerned with injuries taking MSU down this season than I am with graduated players.

And another thing, in MSU's case, is that the Bobcats still went 7-5 in spite of an overwhelming number of injuries last season and it has 15 returning starters. So there's a strong core of returning talent based on that alone.

I'm not saying MSU will go undefeated, but I wouldn't consider anyone else to exactly be the Dream Team either.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:40 am

TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Lost players equalling a dropoff is the common logic, but I don't how solid it is.

Nebraska lost Tommie Frazier, but won it all the next year. USC lost Carson Palmer, won it all the next year with Leinart. Tennessee lost Peyton Manning, won it all with Tee Martin. Closer to home UM lost Dickenson, but went to finals with Ah Yat. MSU lost Lulay, but went to playoffs and won its first post-season game in 22 years with Rolovich. EWU lost Padron, who started most of their games, and it's entire starting WR corps last year, but didn't miss a beat. I'm sure all of those teams lost some other key players.

The other thing you have to consider is that all the other teams are losing key players also. EWU lost 11 starters, UM loses up to eight guys that migth be in NFL rookie camps this spring. I'm more concerned with injuries taking MSU down this season than I am with graduated players.

And another thing, in MSU's case, is that the Bobcats still went 7-5 in spite of an overwhelming number of injuries last season and it has 15 returning starters. So there's a strong core of returning talent based on that alone.

I'm not saying MSU will go undefeated, but I wouldn't consider anyone else to exactly be the Dream Team either.
There will be some tough games for sure (All winnable though). If the injury bug slows down some this year we could go on a nice run I think. I just wish we played EW in conference but maybe that is a good thing as far as conference record goes. The Adams lob pass to Kupp show. Hopefully we can pick some of those off this year.

The CATS need to take care of business at home this year! 6 Division 1 counter games at home! We should NOT lose at home.

marceag
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by marceag » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:23 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:All the top teams (NAU, MSU, EWU, Cal Poly, um, So. Utah) lost a ton of talent, so could this be the year where some team comes out of nowhere to win the BSC? Out of ISU, WSU, PSU, UND, UCD, UNC, SSU do you think could pull that off?
EWU lost a ton of talent?? besides a couple D'line and a couple O'line, and Lee in the secondary who else did EWU lose? Remember EWU started a bunch of different Olineman last year due to injuries so they didn't lose a ton at that position. All of their skill positions are back besides Clark at WR (and there is plenty in the cupboard at that position)... They will be preseason #1 or #2 in the country for a reason...

UM didn't lose much on the offensive side of the ball either...

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:40 pm

marceag wrote:
EWU lost a ton of talent?? besides a couple D'line and a couple O'line, and Lee in the secondary who else did EWU lose? Remember EWU started a bunch of different Olineman last year due to injuries so they didn't lose a ton at that position. All of their skill positions are back besides Clark at WR (and there is plenty in the cupboard at that position)... They will be preseason #1 or #2 in the country for a reason...

You did not lose the screacher, so that alone should knock you down a couple of notches. #1 in the country? Did NDSU move up, I must have missed it.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:41 pm

marceag wrote:

According to the BSC prospectus EWU lost 11 starters. The grizz lost three starting OL that were either first or second team. The also lost their starting tight end. On D they lost all three starting LB and they were either first or second team and a second team corner and second team DT.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Right now, in my mind, you'd have to rank it:

1. Eagles
2. Griz
3. Cats
4. Poly

But I agree with 76 that you could probably switch us and Poly. But this is why the play the games, because nothing is won in April. Frankly, I think we could finish anywhere between first and sixth.

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

marceag
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by marceag » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:01 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
marceag wrote:

According to the BSC prospectus EWU lost 11 starters. The grizz lost three starting OL that were either first or second team. The also lost their starting tight end. On D they lost all three starting LB and they were either first or second team and a second team corner and second team DT.
EWU returns 86% of its pass/rec/rush yards, 75% of their td's, and 3 of their 4 top tacklers...The big sky will go through Cheney the next 2 years...

It shows EWU loses a lot of their o-line but when you start 8 or 9 different guys at that position throughout the year it skews it. Plus both of EWU safeties were out to injuries, so a senior filled in....

marceag
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by marceag » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:24 pm

allcat wrote:
marceag wrote:

You did not lose the screacher, so that alone should knock you down a couple of notches. #1 in the country? Did NDSU move up, I must have missed it.
:lol: :lol:

NDSU will most likely, and should be preseason #1, but I don't think they are as good as last year, but who knows. Will be interesting to see how the NDSU/Griz game goes, NDSU rarely plays Big Sky teams and I don't think they see a lot of the passing attack in their conference that you see throughout the Big Sky.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:27 pm

marceag wrote:
EWU returns 86% of its pass/rec/rush yards, 75% of their td's, and 3 of their 4 top tacklers...The big sky will go through Cheney the next 2 years...

It shows EWU loses a lot of their o-line but when you start 8 or 9 different guys at that position throughout the year it skews it. Plus both of EWU safeties were out to injuries, so a senior filled in....

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
marceag wrote:

Ok, that there IS funny! :lol:

Clinton T

Post by Clinton T » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:19 pm

EWU Conference Schedule:

9/27 - @ UCD
10/4 - Idaho St.
10/11 - @ SUU
10/18 - UNC
10/25 - @ NAU
11/1 - UND
11/8 - UM
11/21 - PSU

They will only have two games where they won't win by at least 21 points - SUU and UM. They will still be favored by two scores in each of those games. I'll take EWU to cover in every conference game this season if Davis stays healthy. Does anywhere in Vegas take futures bets on the FCS?

I think we will be a lot better than people think this year but seeing how we are still battling injuries and losing so much talent, how can we expect to be a 10 win team? I just hope we don't end up burning excessive redshirts this year to make up for injuries... [-o< [-o< [-o<