Free Meals for D1s

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

StealthyCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Free Meals for D1s

Post by StealthyCat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 am

Hopefully this is only the beginning of things to come for our student athletes.
The proposal would allow Division I schools to provide unlimited meals and snacks to all athletes, including walk-ons. The measure still must be approved by the board of directors, which meets April 24.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... -allowance

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. (Vince Lombardi)

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Free Meals for D1s

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:30 am

My folks have hosted steak dinners at their house every Sunday since I can remember. As kids, we'd invite our friends over and the neighbors would come. In high school, it turned into a gathering for our football, basketball and baseball teams. When my brother reached college, it continued and many young Griz players went up there. My mom loved having kids from out of state to make sure they were getting at least one good meal and to help them feel more at home.

Then the NCAA came into Missoula to investigate. They called my mom up and badgered her for what could have been deemed illegal benefits. She was just grilling meat for 19 year old kids and being a hospitable member of the community! Ridiculous rule. They deemed it not a violation, but still an unnecessary interrogation.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:07 am

That was pretty awesome that the UConn player used his bully pulpit of winning an NCAA title to bring this issue to light.

The fact that scholarship athletes (who didn't have money in their families) were mandated to have LOWER standards of living that most other students was/is absurd.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:16 am

Let me first say, I generally fall on the side of the athletes in these cases, however, never being a college athlete myself I'm a bit ignorant to the process. One area that I'm having trouble piecing together is how some athletes claim to be going hungry and not having enough money for food, while there are redshirt O-Linemen who are able to eat 8,000 calories/day and put on 40 pounds during their redshirt year (insert GTAPP joke here).

Do all schools operate the same? Are all college athletes starving? Is it an issue where maybe the athlete is spending their food money on other things and perhaps they need more education on money management and financial literacy?

I take Napier's comments at face value and am certainly not judging him, but just trying to reconcile his comments.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 am

I think the issue happens when the athletes decide to move off campus. I would assume that when they are in the dorms they get a meal plan. What I don't understand is when they move to their own apartment why can they not still do the meal plan?

Now granted eating four or five years of cafeteria food could get old fast but the "going hungry" aspect never has made sense to me.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:03 am

This is a pretty good blog post re: Shabazz Napier.....

http://verysmartbrothas.com/shabazz-nap ... -is-right/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:20 am

wbtfg wrote:Let me first say, I generally fall on the side of the athletes in these cases, however, never being a college athlete myself I'm a bit ignorant to the process. One area that I'm having trouble piecing together is how some athletes claim to be going hungry and not having enough money for food, while there are redshirt O-Linemen who are able to eat 8,000 calories/day and put on 40 pounds during their redshirt year (insert GTAPP joke here).

Do all schools operate the same? Are all college athletes starving? Is it an issue where maybe the athlete is spending their food money on other things and perhaps they need more education on money management and financial literacy?

I take Napier's comments at face value and am certainly not judging him, but just trying to reconcile his comments.

Good question. In my opinion, the word "starving" was used by some just as we all use in normal conversation. Not literally "starving", but just very hungry.

It's my recollection that athletes have the ability to eat how much they want when the training table is open. However, it is against the NCAA regulations to take food away from the training table. Thus, if the training table closes at 7pm, but yet the athlete is studying/working out/playing/doing normal college kid things until 11pm, they are probably getting hungry. Especially if they are burning through a lot of calories as an athlete.

So, if they want to feed themselves, they have to get it themselves....if they don't have the money to do that, then they go to bed hungry. It's about time that the NCAA changed this....and also changed allowing the walk-ons to get meals as well. If my recollection on the rules is wrong, please correct me.

StealthyCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StealthyCat » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:08 am

Just following up on the results...
Approved. Yesterday was the day the NCAA board of directors was to meet and approve/disapprove a new rule allowing unlimited meals and snacks. This is to go in effect on Aug. 1st.

from: http://www.dailycal.org/2014/04/24/appr ... -athletes/

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. (Vince Lombardi)

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:58 am

StealthyCat wrote:Just following up on the results...
Approved. Yesterday was the day the NCAA board of directors was to meet and approve/disapprove a new rule allowing unlimited meals and snacks. This is to go in effect on Aug. 1st.

Wow, common sense prevails! =D^

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:26 am

catsrback76 wrote:
StealthyCat wrote:Just following up on the results...

Wow, common sense prevails! =D^
But will this mean even bigger offensive linemen and stressed out strength coaches? I can just see the strength coach ](*,) because everyone is coming in overweight and unconditioned from too much Food Services snacking. :-k

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber