Best player in the Big Sky in 2014 is ...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Best player in the Big Sky in 2014 is ...

Post by Clinton T » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:10 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Clinton T wrote:Vernon Adams. Won't even be close. :cry:
I'll grant you that Vernon Adams is the odds on favorite but I will go out on the thinnest of limbs here and say that Vernon Adams won't even be close to being the best player in the BSC in 2014.
I hope you're right!!!!

ewuranger29
BobcatNation Letterman

Best player in the Big Sky in 2014 is ...

Post by ewuranger29 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:05 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:I don't think Kupp is nearly as good an athlete as TRod. I predict his numbers will plummet this year with every coach in the league figuring out ways to stop him and EWU's offense. Ashton Clark (83 receptions, 1,233 yards, 10 TDs) is gone.
I think there's a little bit of wishful thinking going on here. Sure, losing Clark hurts, but do you honestly think that's going to slow Kupp down? EWU lost the greatest trio of WR's (Kaufman, Edwards, Herd) in school history at the conclusion of the 2012 season and actually had more productivity from its WR's in 2013.

Who knows if Kupp will put up similar numbers as he did in 2013, but that offense isn't exactly a one-trick pony. Just in terms of WR's, defenses will still have to contend with Hill, Mitchell, Bourne, Bomber (who will replace Clark in the slot). All those guys have a ton of experience.

And then of course, there's Adams.

SloStang
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by SloStang » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:28 pm

Here are a couple of Cal Poly players that should be considered for the above list:

LB Nick Dzubnar
RB Kristaan Ivory

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:32 pm

SloStang wrote:Here are a couple of Cal Poly players that should be considered for the above list:

LB Nick Dzubnar
RB Kristaan Ivory
NO. May be put them on your board

Plainiac
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Plainiac » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Bobcat Steve wrote:
SloStang wrote:Here are a couple of Cal Poly players that should be considered for the above list:

LB Nick Dzubnar
RB Kristaan Ivory
:lol: And cat fans wonder why they are the laughing stock of FCS football. =D^

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Plainiac wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:

LB Nick Dzubnar
RB Kristaan Ivory
Nobody wonders that. Nobody. You know why? Because it came from the cesspool of your bowels.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:00 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Plainiac wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:

LB Nick Dzubnar
RB Kristaan Ivory
Nobody wonders that. Nobody. You know why? Because it came from the cesspool of your bowels.
BY THE WAY It was a joke. Both players are very capable and would be on my board

Plainiac
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Plainiac » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:09 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Plainiac wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:

LB Nick Dzubnar
RB Kristaan Ivory
:rofl: You really got me with that one.

Plainiac
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Plainiac » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Bobcat Steve wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Plainiac wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:

LB Nick Dzubnar
RB Kristaan Ivory
BY THE WAY It was a joke. Both players are very capable and would be on my board
Yeah. Ok Steve. :lol:

SloStang
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by SloStang » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:51 pm

I could see were you would overlook players from Cal Poly seeing that we have played two seasons in the Big Sky and have yet to play. I am really looking forward to the Bobcats visit to SLO this coming season.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:50 pm

SloStang wrote:I could see were you would overlook players from Cal Poly seeing that we have played two seasons in the Big Sky and have yet to play. I am really looking forward to the Bobcats visit to SLO this coming season.
You should be. MSU hasn't beat Poly in ages.

Ivory should be on the list. Poly always has some great players on defense.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:57 pm

I ran into a high school buddy of mine who lives in Bozeman who used to play offensive line for the Griz. We were talking about Montana and he said it perfectly. He said, "It doesn't matter if you have all the best athletes at skill spots like the Griz do if you don't have an offensive line. If your offensive line sucks, you have a pretty good chance of sucking."

Of all the suggestions, they almost all play glamour positions. Here's my best players in the Big Sky who play in the trenches or do the dirty work.

Fullback — Jamal Wilson, Montana, junior.

Dalton Turay, UC Davis, senior.

Offensive tackles — Quinn Catalano, Montana State, senior.

Clay DeBord, Eastern Washington, junior.

John Weidenaar, Montana State, junior.

Ian Joseph, UC Davis, senior.

Offensive guards — Cornelius Edison, Portland State, senior.

JP Flynn, Montana State, sophomore

Trevor Poole, Montana, senior.

Terrance Carney, Idaho State, junior.

Centers — Roy Garcia, Northern Arizona, senior.

Jay Luchetti, UC Davis, senior.

Tight End — RJ Rickert, Northern Arizona, senior.

Anthony Norris, Southern Utah, junior.

DEFENSE

Tackle — Tonga Takai, Montana, senior

Taylor Sheridan, Montana State, junior.

Chris Lawrence, Cal Poly, senior.

Dylan Zylstra, Eastern Washington, senior.

To the Cal Poly point...they will be really good if they can keep a quarterback healthy running that triple option. Kristaan Ivory and UC Davis' Gabe Manzanares will be my preseason All-Big Sky running backs. Senior defensive tackle Chris Lawrence and Nick Dzubnar will be in the running as well.

SloStang
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by SloStang » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:23 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
SloStang wrote:I could see were you would overlook players from Cal Poly seeing that we have played two seasons in the Big Sky and have yet to play. I am really looking forward to the Bobcats visit to SLO this coming season.

I am also really looking forward to Cal Poly's visit to Bozeman in 2015. I have a former college roommate that lives there and a good friend of mine has a son going to school at MSU. I have not been to Bozeman and I am already planning the trip.

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:55 pm

SloStang wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I am also really looking forward to Cal Poly's visit to Bozeman in 2015. I have a former college roommate that lives there and a good friend of mine has a son going to school at MSU. I have not been to Bozeman and I am already planning the trip.
SloStang I really was kidding I guess its hard to tell on a computer. I work for a large construction company and more than half the guys went to Cal Poly, Just a natural reaction to give each other crap. Cant wait for the game.I am sure we will talk again as the game gets closer. Hopefully we will be playing for the lead in the Big Sky.

SloStang
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by SloStang » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:04 am

Bobcat Steve wrote:
SloStang wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

SloStang I really was kidding I guess its hard to tell on a computer. I work for a large construction company and more than half the guys went to Cal Poly, Just a natural reaction to give each other crap. Cant wait for the game.I am sure we will talk again as the game gets closer. Hopefully we will be playing for the lead in the Big Sky.
No problem and I did not take it that way. I was/am serious about being excited about playing the Bobcats the next two seasons and taking my first trip to Bozeman. I am also not too upset that McGee graduated after watching him terrorize Big Sky defenses the last 4 years. I expect a great game.

BOBCATBORN
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BOBCATBORN » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:38 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Plainiac wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:

LB Nick Dzubnar
RB Kristaan Ivory
Do the Griz ever wonder why everyone in the conference hate them? Why schools have kids that park their vehicles in the parking lot the night before so Griz fans have to walk 1-2 miles to get to the stadium (NAU). Why whenever I talk to anyone from other schools they say that CAT fans are way better than Griz fans - and actually welcome people into their tailgates to have a beer and talk football - just to talk football. And I know your answer is going to be because the Griz win or beat other teams down - some crap like that. And that isn't the real answer, it's because the MAJORITY (not all) of your fans really are dicks to people. They treat them like crap, disrespect people when they come to town, and are just outright rude to anyone that isn't a Griz fan. I realize that there are fans like that from every team, but the Griz are overwhelmingly bad in that regard.

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Jobu » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:25 pm

I dunno, Born. Obviously Planiac is one of "those" Griz fans.

But I think you're mixing a couple of things up in your post. Yes, programs do things like have students fill all the parking spots at NAU so Griz fans have to walk a mile to the field. But I don't think they do that becuase Griz fans are all dicks. I think they do that because the Griz win. And the Griz travel extremely well. Let's be honest, is there another BSC program you could imagine a school doing that to? Even the Cats. We travel well, but not like the Griz.

The second point is that I don't think most programs think that Griz fans are dicks. Sure, they have plenty of them. But if you read the message boards after the Griz have played somewhere, the posts are almost all postive about the experience with Griz fans. We hate 'em, so we see 'em differently. But for the most part, that program has the following everyone in the BSC should be envious of. We're getting closer by the day. But we're not there yet.

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:57 pm

I hear that song again. 8)

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

clawman
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by clawman » Mon May 05, 2014 11:27 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
I'll grant you that Vernon Adams is the odds on favorite but I will go out on the thinnest of limbs here and say that Vernon Adams won't even be close to being the best player in the BSC in 2014.
Adams should post better numbers in 2014 because the Eagles O-line is deeper and better and there are several receivers besides Kupp to spread the ball around to. And Adams has put on over 10lbs and in spring game was throwing stronger than ever. Those other receivers, that are as talented as Kupp, will be open when safeties double up on Cooper and leaves Bomber, Mitchell, Clark, Borne or ?? in single coverage. So while it will be tough for Kupp to produce better numbers than 2013 Adams will improve on his numbers.

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue May 06, 2014 12:04 am

clawman wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Adams should post better numbers in 2014 because the Eagles O-line is deeper and better and there are several receivers besides Kupp to spread the ball around to. And Adams has put on over 10lbs and in spring game was throwing stronger than ever. Those other receivers, that are as talented as Kupp, will be open when safeties double up on Cooper and leaves Bomber, Mitchell, Clark, Borne or ?? in single coverage. So while it will be tough for Kupp to produce better numbers than 2013 Adams will improve on his numbers.
You don't have other receivers "that are as talented as Kupp"...sorry!

:coffee: