Best player in the Big Sky in 2014 is ...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Best player in the Big Sky in 2014 is ...

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:07 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catpound wrote:Cooper Kupp and I am not sure it is even close.

Adams puts up good numbers, but he has a REALLY good WR corps and Kupp is the best of the bunch.
I think Roderick could be a Kupp-esque-type player. =P~ I really do. Roughly the same size, same speed, tons of athletic ability. Both can jump.
One has an already legendary work ethic and they have to literally kick him out of the facility he watches so much film. One does not.
so, based on the post you quoted are you saying that because Roderick doesn't have a "legendary" work ethic like kupp apparently does, that TC88's comment is incorrect? I didn't see him mention work ethic. only size, speed, athleticism and vertical. you brought in the legendary work ethic.

colter you're a smart guy. and a great writer. I'm curious what your motive here is. the way I see it, it has to be one of two things. you either think that tanner has no shot of being as amazing as kupp because he lacks legendary work ethic. even if true it has nothing to do with the post you quoted. also, it just doesn't seem true. not everyone has the same work ethic and some certainly have more than others.

my guess is you worded your response and plugged it in here for a reason and I'm curious what that reason is. are you saying tanner has poor work ethic? that would go against much of what I have heard and seen over the years both as a fan and as a guy who used to coach him. are you saying he has fine work ethic but not "legendary"? certainly there was a reason why you chimed in about Roderick and work ethic and I'm just curious what the motive was.

TrueCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by TrueCat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:20 am

It seems to me that he is saying that Krupp and Tanner do not share the same work ethic. And since Krupp's seems to be highly documented, it does not seem like a far off assessment.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:25 am

TrueCat wrote:It seems to me that he is saying that Krupp and Tanner do not share the same work ethic. And since Krupp's seems to be highly documented, it does not seem like a far off assessment.
That's my interpretation as well. Not really anything to be fired up about.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:27 am

When you post a comment saying a player could be as good as one of the best players in the conference because they are the same physically, it stands to reason that someone might counter that argument by providing another aspect of the players that differs.

I don't believe anywhere Colter said that Roderick has a terrible work ethic and won't ever amount to anything. Get off your high horses boys...

edit: fixed my grammar lol

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:32 am

no high horse here. not fired up either. just asked colter a question as I've read his writings countless times and his wording and placement of his comments were different than usual. not a big deal. just an interesting perspective is all... :shrug:

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:33 am

ilovethecats wrote:no high horse here. not fired up either. just asked colter a question as I've read his writings countless times and his wording and placement of his comments were different than usual. not a big deal. just an interesting perspective is all... :shrug:
I was referring to a couple posts earlier in the thread. Sorry for the confusion.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:36 am

I would have to say hands down its Kupp.

That being said the Tanner argument is unfair because he has also changed positions three times now from QB to WR and back to QB. If from the start Roderrick was only a WR who knows but from the outside looking in switching positions like he has tells me he must have some type of work ethic otherwise he would never be able to switch and be successful

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:46 am

I don't think Kupp is nearly as good an athlete as TRod. I predict his numbers will plummet this year with every coach in the league figuring out ways to stop him and EWU's offense. Ashton Clark (83 receptions, 1,233 yards, 10 TDs) is gone.

Kupp played hoops, but was nowhere close to TRod in that sport. TRod also played a much more challenging position in HS. Once he focuses on WR he'll be a force, but won't get up to Kupp's numbers due to the style of offense we run.

TrueCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by TrueCat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:47 am

DARK HORSE: Dakota Prukop =D^

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:50 am

ilovethecats wrote:just asked colter a question as I've read his writings countless times and his wording and placement of his comments were different than usual. :
I noticed that as well.

merff33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by merff33 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 am

FTG247365 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Adams puts up good numbers, but he has a REALLY good WR corps and Kupp is the best of the bunch.
I think Roderick could be a Kupp-esque-type player. =P~ I really do. Roughly the same size, same speed, tons of athletic ability. Both can jump.
One has an already legendary work ethic and they have to literally kick him out of the facility he watches so much film. One does not.

I'm confused, you say Roderick doesn't watch enough film to be a great player, even though he played receiver last year and is practicing at QB this spring, right? He was hurt over half the year last year. So how does him watching film last year, while he was hurt make him a better player this year? Give him a chance, let him prove himself first, he has more talent than any of the posters on this board will ever dream of.

I'm not saying one thing directly about either one of these two players. Just an opinion on what is bolded and underlined. Wether or not film study has anything to do with work ethic is also a person's or coach's opinion.

Here's my opinion on film study. Watching film on yourself or your opponent in ANY sport is huge! You break down tendancies and improove your reads which makes you a step ahead come gametime. When you study the opponent from the year before, you pick up on OC's or DC's tendancies or patterns for the next year. Take for instance a wide reciever. IMO if you are going against the same DB for 2 even 3 season's you can study film from games past to see how he played you last time. You can pick up on where they line up according to down, distance and coverage. So before the ball is snapped, you and your QB can "spot" a disadvantage in that given down and distance play to outsmart the D and score the TD. It's what alot of people refer to as "being on the same page". So YES! Film study is a habbit that most successful players have in thier arsenal of weapons not unlike strength, speed, and agility. Pitchers study hitters, golfers study courses, drivers study racetracks, post players study post defenders, goalies study forwards. Pick a sport and you can easily find something through "film study" to gain an advantage on your opponent. You can only help yourself with film study. I find it helpful with young players especially. Record a practice or let's say a hitting session (because it's baseball season) with a young player. You can explain something to a 10, 11, 12 year old until you are blue in the face about correcting a batter's stance or trying to explain to the hitter that he is overstriding or pulling his head. But, you show that same kid immediate video replay even in between cuts in the cage, you have their attention and whatever you are trying to correct gets that "visual" confirmation from that kid. IMO film study is HUGE and only gets more important as the level of play increases.

OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!!!...........Dude...mark it zero.

merff33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by merff33 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:11 am

Kick Returner: #4 Shawn Johnson \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!!!...........Dude...mark it zero.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:18 am

ilovethecats wrote:no high horse here. not fired up either. just asked colter a question as I've read his writings countless times and his wording and placement of his comments were different than usual. not a big deal. just an interesting perspective is all... :shrug:
I wasn't trying to slight Tanner Roderick in the least. More, I was trying to praise Cooper Kupp. In my opinion, Kupp has honed the craft of playing receiver as aptly as anyone in FCS history already and he's only played one year. He attacks the ball in the air as well as anyone I've ever seen at this level.

Roderick is a great athlete with potential, but an unproven player as he enters his fourth year of college football. As a freshman, Kupp has more yards in individual games against Montana, Southern Utah, Idaho State, Cal Poly, Portland State and Towson than Roderick has all season.

I agree that Roderick is a better pure athlete than Kupp. But I made that statement to praise Kupp's work ethic and to not set up unrealistic expectations for Roderick that I see him having almost no chance of living up to. Roderick will not score 21 touchdowns in his Bobcat career. Kupp scored 21 touchdowns his first year of college football.

Junior Adams and Beau Baldwin absolutely gush about Kupp, both saying he's the hardest worker they've coached. I've never heard anyone at MSU say similar things about Roderick. They praise his athleticism and his potential often.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:29 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
I wasn't trying to slight Tanner Roderick in the least. More, I was trying to praise Cooper Kupp. In my opinion, Kupp has honed the craft of playing receiver as aptly as anyone in FCS history already and he's only played one year. He attacks the ball in the air as well as anyone I've ever seen at this level.

Roderick is a great athlete with potential, but an unproven player as he enters his fourth year of college football. As a freshman, Kupp has more yards in individual games against Montana, Southern Utah, Idaho State, Cal Poly, Portland State and Towson than Roderick has all season.

I agree that Roderick is a better pure athlete than Kupp. But I made that statement to praise Kupp's work ethic and to not set up unrealistic expectations for Roderick that I see him having almost no chance of living up to. Roderick will not score 21 touchdowns in his Bobcat career. Kupp scored 21 touchdowns his first year of college football.

Junior Adams and Beau Baldwin absolutely gush about Kupp, both saying he's the hardest worker they've coached. I've never heard anyone at MSU say similar things about Roderick. They praise his athleticism and his potential often.
thanks for the clarification colter. the context just seemed odd to me is all. had you said any of this stuff in addition to your first post I would have understood completely. the shortness of it and in its context I was just curious if there was more to it.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:33 am

TrueCat wrote:DARK HORSE: Dakota Prukop =D^
I like it.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

I think you're putting too much emphasis on stats. A player can be equally valuable without the eye-popping numbers.

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:40 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

I agree completely with what Colter said (bolded). Kupp is a good athlete who gives it his all on the field and has an uncanny ability to locate the ball in the air, attack it at its high point, and then be a pain in the ass to tackle afterward. He is the best WR I've seen at this level since Vincent Jackson.

-Elias P. Harmon-

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:12 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I'm confused, you say Roderick doesn't watch enough film to be a great player, even though he played receiver last year and is practicing at QB this spring, right? He was hurt over half the year last year. So how does him watching film last year, while he was hurt make him a better player this year? Give him a chance, let him prove himself first, he has more talent than any of the posters on this board will ever dream of.
Really? I have a hard time believing you would know that. I don't think you have EVER seen me play sports...They don't call me the "Folfing Kid" for nothing.....

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:19 pm

SACCAT wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Really? I have a hard time believing you would know that. I don't think you have EVER seen me play sports...They don't call me the "Folfing Kid" for nothing.....
+1. I have more talent in my little finger than most of you do in your.......little fingernail.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:22 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

I think you're putting too much emphasis on stats. A player can be equally valuable without the eye-popping numbers.
The term "stats don't lie" comes to mind. :-^

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........