MSU best secondary, OL and linebackers in BSC?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

MSU best secondary, OL and linebackers in BSC?

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:44 am

Southern Utah has a good secondary returning, but with Keeton board and a healthy Barnett we could be better.

I don't think anyone can match our LB corps. So. Utah would, but their top guy went on a mission.

NAU has a good OL with a returning first team TE and second and third teamed back, but we can't be far behind.

That's three units at or near the top.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU best secondary, OL and linebackers in BSC?

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:03 am

I think you could make a case for RB as well. I know they are much more unproven but I think they will prove they are at or near the top as a group by seasons end.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:32 am

LTown Cat wrote:I think you could make a case for RB as well. I know they are much more unproven but I think they will prove they are at or near the top as a group by seasons end.
I think RB, TE and LB are our areas of strength on this team and we are as good at those positions as anyone in the BSC. I think QB will become a strength when we get some game experience. Ash has done a great job of trying to recruit good OL but it just hasn't worked out for him. We can never seem to find 5 good ones. Last year the line played average at best and while the weakest player was Devereux and he is gone he was our best option. So this year it has already been a struggle to find 5 quality starters and the depth looks non-existent at this point. I don't know what you are referring to when you mention the secondary. You have two new starters (3 if you count Barnett), we know little about Keaton and Barnett has trouble staying on the field.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:50 am

gtapp wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:I think you could make a case for RB as well. I know they are much more unproven but I think they will prove they are at or near the top as a group by seasons end.
I think RB, TE and LB are our areas of strength on this team and we are as good at those positions as anyone in the BSC. I think QB will become a strength when we get some game experience. Ash has done a great job of trying to recruit good OL but it just hasn't worked out for him. We can never seem to find 5 good ones. Last year the line played average at best and while the weakest player was Devereux and he is gone he was our best option. So this year it has already been a struggle to find 5 quality starters and the depth looks non-existent at this point. I don't know what you are referring to when you mention the secondary. You have two new starters (3 if you count Barnett), we know little about Keaton and Barnett has trouble staying on the field.
Marshall started all but one game last year. Flowers will be a four year starter. Keeton was the nickel back at FBS Nevada. He was 10th on the team in tackles despite playing nickel and only playing in 10 of 12 games. Barnett, when healthy, is a beast at safety. Show me a BSC team with a better group.

We also have great depth with Garcia, Nelson and Price.

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:03 am

Are you Joking??? Canada, Van, Counts, Nguyen...EWU is stacked at RB as well. Johnson is all you have and he is less of a true RB in my eyes and more of a move him around explosive home run hitter type. You give him the ball 20x a game and he'll be injured by the 4th game!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:06 am

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Are you Joking??? Canada, Van, Counts, Nguyen...EWU is stacked at RB as well. Johnson is all you have and he is less of a true RB in my eyes and more of a move him around explosive home run hitter type. You give him the ball 20x a game and he'll be injured by the 4th game!
First of all what part of at or near don't you understand? Try reading the whole sentence next time.
Second, I also stated they are unproven but that in my opinion they will prove themselves.

So to answer your question--no I wasn't joking. Were you?

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:10 am

LTown Cat wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
First of all what part of at or near don't you understand? Try reading the whole sentence next time.
Second, I also stated they are unproven but that in my opinion they will prove themselves.

Just the near the top part even has me wondering, but hey everyone has their opinion. And you would know your upcoming talent better than I so time shall tell.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:19 am

LTown Cat wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:

I wouldn't call Knight, Newell or Brekke unproven. As for um Van is oft injured, but good when healthy. Counts also went down to injury, so if you're going to say Johnson can't hold up, then you must also say the same for those two. I'll say Brekke and Newell are every bit as good as Counts and Nguyen. As do Johnson and Knight with Van and Canada. Keep in mind the grizz backs aren't running behind Kistler, Oiland, Poehls and Pierson this year, while MSU's back are behind four returning starters and a returning starting TE. Big difference right there.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:28 am

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Yes, much better than the griz!! Johnson, Knight, Brekke are all better than anyone on the griz and Newell and LaSane are probably as good.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:39 am

Here's what Ash said in the Trib:
"I like the looks of the secondary. With Rob Marshall and (Eryon) Barnett and (Deonte) Flowers all returning (to the starting lineup). Then we've got James Nelson and Bryson Keeton competing for that other corner spot. Khari Garcia and Cody Cleveland are the backup safeties, along with [Jaylen] Price at the other ... We're two-deep in the secondary. Those guys are looking pretty good."

And:
"On defense, Khari Garcia and Bryce Keeton have looked very good back there in the secondary. They've been fun to watch and have played well."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:45 am

gtapp wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Yes, much better than the griz!! Johnson, Knight, Brekke are all better than anyone on the griz and Newell and LaSane are probably as good.
Jordan Canada scored almost as many touchdowns (16) as Gunnar Brekke (19) or Chad Newell (17) had carries last year. Nick LaSane has never touched the ball in college. Montana State has great depth at running back and a slew of backs with great potential, but to say two second-year players are better than one of the top three or four running backs in the Big Sky isn't accurate.

Montana State has the best linebackers in the Big Sky. It's not close. Even with any injuries, they'll have two seniors coming off the bench.

I'm not sure where MSU's secondary will stack up just yet, but the corners will be substantially better than last year, I guarantee it.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:02 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
gtapp wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Jordan Canada scored almost as many touchdowns (16) as Gunnar Brekke (19) or Chad Newell (17) had carries last year. Nick LaSane has never touched the ball in college. Montana State has great depth at running back and a slew of backs with great potential, but to say two second-year players are better than one of the top three or four running backs in the Big Sky isn't accurate.

Montana State has the best linebackers in the Big Sky. It's not close. Even with any injuries, they'll have two seniors coming off the bench.

I'm not sure where MSU's secondary will stack up just yet, but the corners will be substantially better than last year, I guarantee it.
I don't think you're reading this discussion quite right. Most aren't stacking Brekke and Newell up against Canada. gtapp is getting a tad carried away. Most are just saying MSU is up there with um at RB. I said the loss of three OL and TE is a big drawdown on um, whereas the return of 4/5ths OL and TE is a boost for MSU. Agreed?

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:41 pm

I think you would be surprised with how good UMs oline will again be this year, those are some great guys we lost but the backups did get a good amount of playing time, they will be good. I like Johnson, hes explosive, but as far as a pure RB im just not sold on him yet. You're right about Van having to stay healthy, but if he is, I think you could easily say hes one of the most explosive backs in the league.

And I'm not saying this sarcastically, but could one of you guys tell me why MSU has seamed to struggle with putting together a decent Oline since Person left?

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:51 pm

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:I think you would be surprised with how good UMs oline will again be this year, those are some great guys we lost but the backups did get a good amount of playing time, they will be good. I like Johnson, hes explosive, but as far as a pure RB im just not sold on him yet. You're right about Van having to stay healthy, but if he is, I think you could easily say hes one of the most explosive backs in the league.

And I'm not saying this sarcastically, but could one of you guys tell me why MSU has seamed to struggle with putting together a decent Oline since Person left?
Injuries and inexperience basically. This year we are returning our starting o line completely except our center.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:52 pm

I think that struggle is a myth.
2012 - Sampson first team, Foster second team, Catalano HM.
2011 - Burbank and Terrien first team, Foster second team, Sampson HM.
2010 - Person first team, Terrien and Begger second.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:56 pm

gtapp wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
+1 .. and no we are not kidding. MSU is STACKED at RB.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:08 pm

The OL situations can be summed up with one guy. Kody Grelle. IMO he was a flat out stud and true center who would have been a JR. this season and would have started last year.. He gets some weird ass infection that almost kills him and has to retire.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:09 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
gtapp wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
As much as it pains me to say it. . . the cats runnning backs are NOT better than the Griz. Do the cats have more potential, and more depth? Sure. Brekke, Johnson, Knight, Newell, they all have tons of potential. . . heck LaSane, Davis and Dodd have me excited as well. But at this point in the year there is absolutly no reason to believe we are more solid than Canada or Vann. Like i said, MSU has more potential, but I personally don't think you can say they are better. . . yet

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:22 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
gtapp wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
As much as it pains me to say it. . . the cats runnning backs are NOT better than the Griz. Do the cats have more potential, and more depth? Sure. Brekke, Johnson, Knight, Newell, they all have tons of potential. . . heck LaSane, Davis and Dodd have me excited as well. But at this point in the year there is absolutly no reason to believe we are more solid than Canada or Vann. Like i said, MSU has more potential, but I personally don't think you can say they are better. . . yet
You're right and that's basically what LTown said. I don't see the issue.

Plainiac
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Plainiac » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:35 pm

I love the optimism of cat fans. No QB, no home run threat at WR, a OL that always underperforms (but the OL coach is the best in all of college football), a decimated DL, and a secondary that, other than Flowers, will be somewhere between weak and quite weak. You guys are the Charlie Brown of FCS football. I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.