Spring football

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring football

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:06 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:How's the center position shaping up?

If the center is to be Catalano, where does that leave Horn? How is Eekoff looking at tackle? Aggressive, knows the plays, knows where to go? Or is he slow off the line like last year and playing with sub par effort?
You're probably asking Colter, but ... If Cat is the center, then Horn is the backup center and Eekhoff is the OT. If Horn is center, then Cat is OT. I don't the answer to the other three. Ash calls it a competition between Horn and Eekhoff.
I'm asking anyone who's watched practice. I have BIG concerns about Eekhoff as evidenced by our "run game woes" from last year. And if Horn can't snap, doesn't know the calls, etc... Why is he STILL at center? Could HE play tackle? Or, is his snapping getting better? Is he learning the calls?

Man, I didn't think I would say this, but I miss Sampson. He was cerebral, made the correct calls consistently, made the snaps (except one), wasn't the biggest guy, but knew how to use leverage.

I'm just curious to know where both guys are at. Catalano is a GREAT tackle. He plays tackle in such a way that I prefer. And I would prefer to keep him there if possible so I'm sort of rooting for Horn to pick it up at center, but I also want the best combo on the field in whatever configuration so that probably means Catalano moves to Center and Eekhoff starts at tackle. If that's the case, do our run game woes reappear?

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:50 pm

Last years line was average at best and much of that had to do with Devereux. He got pushed around like we weighed 150. The problem is that he was our best option last year. If someone doesn't step up this year at center the line won't play well as a whole. I think it will be Catalano. He gives us the best chance for success. If no one steps up then we have to choose between having poor center play of poor OT play.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:28 am

gtapp wrote:Last years line was average at best and much of that had to do with Devereux. He got pushed around like we weighed 150. The problem is that he was our best option last year. If someone doesn't step up this year at center the line won't play well as a whole. I think it will be Catalano. He gives us the best chance for success. If no one steps up then we have to choose between having poor center play of poor OT play.
Yep, if our OL can't block anybody, it won't matter which dancing chicken we put back there at QB. They'd all run for their lives.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:47 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

If the center is to be Catalano, where does that leave Horn? How is Eekoff looking at tackle? Aggressive, knows the plays, knows where to go? Or is he slow off the line like last year and playing with sub par effort?
You're probably asking Colter, but ... If Cat is the center, then Horn is the backup center and Eekhoff is the OT. If Horn is center, then Cat is OT. I don't the answer to the other three. Ash calls it a competition between Horn and Eekhoff.
I'm asking anyone who's watched practice. I have BIG concerns about Eekhoff as evidenced by our "run game woes" from last year. And if Horn can't snap, doesn't know the calls, etc... Why is he STILL at center? Could HE play tackle? Or, is his snapping getting better? Is he learning the calls?

Man, I didn't think I would say this, but I miss Sampson. He was cerebral, made the correct calls consistently, made the snaps (except one), wasn't the biggest guy, but knew how to use leverage.

I'm just curious to know where both guys are at. Catalano is a GREAT tackle. He plays tackle in such a way that I prefer. And I would prefer to keep him there if possible so I'm sort of rooting for Horn to pick it up at center, but I also want the best combo on the field in whatever configuration so that probably means Catalano moves to Center and Eekhoff starts at tackle. If that's the case, do our run game woes reappear?
Don't second-guess yourself for missing Sampson. He was the most valuable offensive player on the 2012 Bobcats. He cut DeNarius' calls at the line in half because he could recognize every front, every blitz, every twist. On top of the pre-snap reads, Sampson was incredibly mobile, tough as hell and absolutely fearless. He was a truly stellar center, and as a former center myself, one of my favorite college football players of all time.

Right now, I'd give the MSU centers, particularly Horn and Catalano a B+. I would have given the centers a C- at this point last spring and a C for the season last year, so they are ahead. Horn's snapping is vastly improved. He's playing his best football right now, Ash said following last Saturday's practice. Yesterday, Horn had two high snaps during team drills, but Catalano looked great. It's looking more and more like Quinn will win the job because of his experience and familiarity with the offense more than any other factor.

“Quinn is very vocal, understands the schemes and sees the pressures, makes the audibles at the line,” Ash said following yesterday's session. “He’s pretty good there.”

But as Tom indicated and Ash stated, this isn't a competition between Horn and Catalano for center. It's a competition between Horn and Alex Eekhoff. Whoever can play their specific spot better will earn that spot and Catalano will play the other spot. I'm not sure where Catalano stacks up with the other centers in the Big Sky, but I agree with LongTimeCatFan in that he's an outstanding right tackle, in my opinion, the best returning RT in the entire league.

McEndoo wants his best five guys out there. He knows who four of them are. Now they have to figure out a fifth and they'll be fine up front.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:50 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Don't second-guess yourself for missing Sampson. He was the most valuable offensive player on the 2012 Bobcats. He cut DeNarius' calls at the line in half because he could recognize every front, every blitz, every twist. On top of the pre-snap reads, Sampson was incredibly mobile, tough as hell and absolutely fearless. He was a truly stellar center, and as a former center myself, one of my favorite college football players of all time.

Right now, I'd give the MSU centers, particularly Horn and Catalano a B+. I would have given the centers a C- at this point last spring and a C for the season last year, so they are ahead. Horn's snapping is vastly improved. He's playing his best football right now, Ash said following last Saturday's practice. Yesterday, Horn had two high snaps during team drills, but Catalano looked great. It's looking more and more like Quinn will win the job because of his experience and familiarity with the offense more than any other factor.

“Quinn is very vocal, understands the schemes and sees the pressures, makes the audibles at the line,” Ash said following yesterday's session. “He’s pretty good there.”

But as Tom indicated and Ash stated, this isn't a competition between Horn and Catalano for center. It's a competition between Horn and Alex Eekhoff. Whoever can play their specific spot better will earn that spot and Catalano will play the other spot. I'm not sure where Catalano stacks up with the other centers in the Big Sky, but I agree with LongTimeCatFan in that he's an outstanding right tackle, in my opinion, the best returning RT in the entire league.

McEndoo wants his best five guys out there. He knows who four of them are. Now they have to figure out a fifth and they'll be fine up front.
Thanks

So where's Eekhoff at right now?

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:37 am

College football players are young and are still learning. I expect all four returning starters will be bigger, stronger and better than last year. Same can be said for Eekhoff and Horn. I expect to have one the best, if not the best OL in the BSC. Eekhoff may not have looked great last year, but I would be surprised if he hasn't gotten better. He lost his spot, which is great incentive.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:08 am

MSU01 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:Sorry this is a bit off topic but this seemed like that place to ask this question. I'm actually going to be in Bozeman for my first ever Sonny Holland scrimmage. Does anyone know what time it typically starts, how long it lasts, and if you have to pay to get in? (The wife wants to know before she'll agree to go) Thanks guys! And now back to your regularly scheduled programming of watching the sky fall!
You get free admission if you're willing to suit up and play defensive end during the scrimmage, otherwise it's $5 per head.

Just kidding, I've never paid admission for any scrimmage in Bozeman and I've been to a lot of them.
Haha thanks for the info. And if they're looking for somebody to hurt, I guess I could throw on some pads :)

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:58 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:College football players are young and are still learning. I expect all four returning starters will be bigger, stronger and better than last year. Same can be said for Eekhoff and Horn. I expect to have one the best, if not the best OL in the BSC. Eekhoff may not have looked great last year, but I would be surprised if he hasn't gotten better. He lost his spot, which is great incentive.
He probably has gotten better. I just wanted to know how much.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:55 am

I'm not getting a good feeling heading into the fall. This spring is pretty odd so far... and no pleasant surprises just yet, except for maybe how well Dakota has looked (from reports) and some young WRs stepping up. But that is hard to gauge as the defense is missing so many cogs.

Bad juju.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:59 am

CelticCat wrote:I'm not getting a good feeling heading into the fall. This spring is pretty odd so far... and no pleasant surprises just yet, except for maybe how well Dakota has looked (from reports) and some young WRs stepping up. But that is hard to gauge as the defense is missing so many cogs.

Bad juju.
Yeah, but how did you feel going into last year? I wouldn't worry about it.

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:35 pm

ImagineSanta wrote:
CelticCat wrote:I'm not getting a good feeling heading into the fall. This spring is pretty odd so far... and no pleasant surprises just yet, except for maybe how well Dakota has looked (from reports) and some young WRs stepping up. But that is hard to gauge as the defense is missing so many cogs.

Bad juju.
Yeah, but how did you feel going into last year? I wouldn't worry about it.
Good point. It's too early to tell. And really, with the team in flux as it is, there's a real possibility that they come together towards the end of the season, when it counts, versus the last few years of peaking mid or early season, only to fizzle late.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:25 pm

Don't shoot the messenger...

More injury news. On Tuesday, senior cornerback Deonte Flowers sprained his left ankle and sat out the second half of practice. The severity of the sprain is unknown. Sophomore linebacker Blake Braun did not dress out. Not sure what's going on with him. Sophomore linebacker/defensive lineman Monte Folsom is now in a walking boot.

Red jerseys still include Cole Moore, Na'a Moeakiola, Jacob Stanton and Mitch Griebel. Odin Coe was there on crutches, his surgically repaired right ankle/foot wrapped heavily. Marshall Womack still isn't practicing either.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:55 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Don't shoot the messenger...

More injury news. On Tuesday, senior cornerback Deonte Flowers sprained his left ankle and sat out the second half of practice. The severity of the sprain is unknown. Sophomore linebacker Blake Braun did not dress out. Not sure what's going on with him. Sophomore linebacker/defensive lineman Monte Folsom is now in a walking boot.

Red jerseys still include Cole Moore, Na'a Moeakiola, Jacob Stanton and Mitch Griebel. Odin Coe was there on crutches, his surgically repaired right ankle/foot wrapped heavily. Marshall Womack still isn't practicing either.
](*,) Thank god its only spring, I'm trying not get worked up about these but damn... crossing fingers for no season enders. I'm sure someone on here has been keeping a running tally of injuries, can we get a roll call?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:33 pm

26 of the 84 players MSU brought to spring drills has missed some or all of the practices, including 9 of the team's 18 seniors.

Senior wide receiver Kurt Davis (knee injury)

Senior wide receiver David Dash (knee)

Senior wide receiver Brian Flotkoetter (shoulder surgery)

Senior running back Shawn Johnson (leg muscle pull)

Senior linebacker Na’a Moeakiola (shoulder surgery)

Senior linebacker Cole Moore (unknown)

Senior defensive end Hayden Vick (patella tendon, retired)

Senior middle linebacker Michael Foster (shoulder from last season, knee surgery in off-season)

Senior tight end Tiai Salanoa (missed two weeks, back now)

Junior running back Brandon Davis (knee surgery)

Junior wide receiver Manny Kalfell (shoulder)

Junior defensive end Odin Coe (ankle surgery)

Sophomore linebacker Wyatt Christensen (knee surgery)

Sophomore wide receiver Mitch Griebel (shoulder, red jersey)

Sophomore linebacker Blake Braun (unknown)

Sophomore defensive end Robert Wilcox (ACL, season ender)

Sophomore defensive end Luke Halliburton (broken right hand, cast)

Sophomore tackle Marshall Womack (foot)

Sophomore linebacker Fletcher Collins (missed time with unknown ailment, back now)

Freshman linebacker Trevan Timmer (concussion)

Freshman quarterback Quinn McQueary (blown disks in back)

Freshman safety Bo Hughes (red jersey)

Freshman defensive lineman Monte Folsom (boot on right foot)

Freshman Jacob Stanton (unknown, red jersey)

Freshman defensive end Devin Jefferies (ankle, missed whole spring)

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:45 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:26 of the 84 players MSU brought to spring drills has missed some or all of the practices, including 9 of the team's 18 seniors.

Senior middle linebacker Michael Foster (shoulder from last season, knee surgery in off-season)

Sophomore linebacker Fletcher Collins (missed time with unknown ailment, back now)

Colter,

Not trying to be a jackass but how in the hell can it be unknown? Is that from the coaches deliberately not telling anyone? Is it to make sure another team doesn't pick up on a perceived advantage on a guy?

As always great work.

Can't wait to see what these guys can do in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:00 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:26 of the 84 players MSU brought to spring drills has missed some or all of the practices, including 9 of the team's 18 seniors.

Colter,

Not trying to be a jackass but how in the hell can it be unknown? Is that from the coaches deliberately not telling anyone? Is it to make sure another team doesn't pick up on a perceived advantage on a guy?

As always great work.

Every player has to sign a release form for whether or not their injury information can be released. With more than 100 players on the team, Coaches always say they can't speak to specific injuries unless they are obvious because of privacy reasons, even though they obviously know. All the above listed were obvious and observed by me. The guys in red jerseys I assume just have stingers. The one mystery is Cole Moore. Ash told us he was sitting out the first day of spring with a personal thing, but he's been wearing a red jersey ever since.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:02 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Colter,

As always great work.

Every player has to sign a release form for whether or not their injury information can be released. With more than 100 players on the team, Coaches always say they can't speak to specific injuries unless they are obvious because of privacy reasons, even though they obviously know. All the above listed were obvious and observed by me. The guys in red jerseys I assume just have stingers. The one mystery is Cole Moore. Ash told us he was sitting out the first day of spring with a personal thing, but he's been wearing a red jersey ever since.
Ok that makes sense thanks for the clarification.

As an aside are you concerned about lb depth for the fall?

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Colter,

As always great work.

Gee, golly, gosh.... Where have we heard that before????

Yet nobody thinks CM was rockin the ganja.

SMH

Of course these are medical issues.... DUH!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:54 pm

Sounds like Blake Braun might've broken his shoulder per his tweet.

"@B_Braun3: Well I guess my shoulders broken.. This is awkward."

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:00 am

TomCat88 wrote:Sounds like Blake Braun might've broken his shoulder per his tweet.

"@B_Braun3: Well I guess my shoulders broken.. This is awkward."
They've got to cut the DODGE BALL OUT of practice altogether!!! Way too many injuries with that stuff! 8)