Spring football

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring football

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:36 am

Cats_Win_Again wrote:Nothing wrong with keeping up with the Bison + the best of the FCS....... even the smaller of the bigger boys -- Air Force just opened their new indoor 2 seasons ago.... All private funds.... In Colo Spgs the practices are often shut down quickly with frustrating mountain range weather much like Bozeman... While they only use it when necessary, I would love to ask their medical staff what their spring and late fall injury stats have looked like before and after the addition.....They now have good weather 24/7 365 ...... I'll write the first check...for the Cat House--Holland Tunnel-- AshDome--Cat-Box-----
I smell a naming thread coming....
I tried to attach the local article from it's opening, but I am Blog challenged...Hope it worked to open and read.
Go Cats -- Stay healthy !!

If you click on the pictures they enlarge.......

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_18510732?source=email" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know about cutting down on injuries (it probably would), but it would definitely bump up the quality of practices and athletes. That's true even in areas where the weather is no where near as harsh as Bozeman.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GRZSLAYER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by GRZSLAYER » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:58 am

I'll ask again if anybody knows. What time is the scrimmage Saturday? Thanks

Dakota Prukop -MSU Quarterback
Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver
I needed a change for one, but for two, I HAD to go to Coach Haucks rival school.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:46 am

GRZSLAYER wrote:I'll ask again if anybody knows. What time is the scrimmage Saturday? Thanks
No scrimmage, just 15 or 20 minutes live at the end of practice they're on the field at 1030.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GRZSLAYER

Post by GRZSLAYER » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:52 am

TomCat88 wrote:
GRZSLAYER wrote:I'll ask again if anybody knows. What time is the scrimmage Saturday? Thanks
No scrimmage, just 15 or 20 minutes live at the end of practice they're on the field at 1030.

Thanks Tomcatt. Earlier I was told Saturday would be a scrimmage as they are allowed to have 3 in the spring. So I wonder if they will have a third at all or just the Triangle and the Sonny Holland. I for one have been really frustrated with this spring between players leaving and injury. Yes it is spring ball and players to get hurt and players do leave the team, but with how last year went this is getting old. I know they were suppose to practice yesterday also. What happened there??? I haven't heard much on that.

A wise man once told me you play how you practice. If you never hit, it hurts when you get hit live in a game. I'm not saying this team is soft, but I will think it some.

Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver
I needed a change for one, but for two, I HAD to go to Coach Haucks rival school.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:58 am

GRZSLAYER wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Thanks Tomcatt. Earlier I was told Saturday would be a scrimmage as they are allowed to have 3 in the spring. So I wonder if they will have a third at all or just the Triangle and the Sonny Holland. I for one have been really frustrated with this spring between players leaving and injury. Yes it is spring ball and players to get hurt and players do leave the team, but with how last year went this is getting old. I know they were suppose to practice yesterday also. What happened there??? I haven't heard much on that.

A wise man once told me you play how you practice. If you never hit, it hurts when you get hit live in a game. I'm not saying this team is soft, but I will think it some.
One of Colters posts said that it is a scrimmage Sat. They practiced yesterday. Would you call SHSU soft? They have 10-15 players out of spring due to injuries.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

GRZSLAYER

Post by GRZSLAYER » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:12 am

Hawks86 wrote:
GRZSLAYER wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

One of Colters posts said that it is a scrimmage Sat. They practiced yesterday. Would you call SHSU soft? They have 10-15 players out of spring due to injuries.

Don't know. they could be. A lot of new players this year and a new coaching staff. Like the Cats they are unproven. But I've seen more of the Cats. That's why I feel more strongly about them.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:22 am

GRZSLAYER wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
GRZSLAYER wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Don't know. they could be. A lot of new players this year and a new coaching staff. Like the Cats they are unproven. But I've seen more of the Cats. That's why I feel more strongly about them.
I must have missed your reports from practice.

GRZSLAYER

Post by GRZSLAYER » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:27 am

Hawks86 wrote:
GRZSLAYER wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
GRZSLAYER wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I have talked about practice before, but I don't go there to report. I go there for my own entertainment and curiosity. But Thanks for all the sarcasm!!
I must have missed your reports from practice.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:02 am

Tomorrow's session begins at 10:30 a.m. As stated, it will not be a scrimmage. Originally, that was the intent, but all the injuries means there will be just two scrimmages this spring — April 12 for the Triangle, April 19 for the Sonny Holland.

As for yesterday's practice, I just went to the beginning. My brother and his girlfriend came to Bozeman for spring break, then got engaged yesterday, so I wrote my story early and took them to dinner instead.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:28 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Tomorrow's session begins at 10:30 a.m. As stated, it will not be a scrimmage. Originally, that was the intent, but all the injuries means there will be just two scrimmages this spring — April 12 for the Triangle, April 19 for the Sonny Holland.

As for yesterday's practice, I just went to the beginning. My brother and his girlfriend came to Bozeman for spring break, then got engaged yesterday, so I wrote my story early and took them to dinner instead.
Yesterday was a great day to watch practice. You could tell the fellas were loving the warm weather. You could just hear it in they're voices and how they practiced. One thing that I find strange is one or two WR's are wearing red jerseys. Then you have a S also wearing a red jersey. This make for a tough read for the QB when both are running together. At least one Int. could be racked up to this happening. You can't tell who's, who? No Scrimmage tomorrow because of numbers. First WR's and now DE's. No reason to get more kids hurt by over working them. There was a 6'7 TE from Northern California on the sidelines yesterday. Nice kid, I think his name was Gabe? He paid for his own trip to come up and check out the team and campus. He loves it up here and I'm pretty sure he will be walking on this fall. He looks like a basketball player. We all know what Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham have done for the TE position, crossing over from basketball. Throw it up and let them go get it.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:08 pm

Put Cal Poly on the list. They have at least 10 guys out due to injuries.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:16 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Tomorrow's session begins at 10:30 a.m. As stated, it will not be a scrimmage. Originally, that was the intent, but all the injuries means there will be just two scrimmages this spring — April 12 for the Triangle, April 19 for the Sonny Holland.

Yesterday was a great day to watch practice. You could tell the fellas were loving the warm weather. You could just hear it in they're voices and how they practiced. One thing that I find strange is one or two WR's are wearing red jerseys. Then you have a S also wearing a red jersey. This make for a tough read for the QB when both are running together. At least one Int. could be racked up to this happening. You can't tell who's, who? No Scrimmage tomorrow because of numbers. First WR's and now DE's. No reason to get more kids hurt by over working them. There was a 6'7 TE from Northern California on the sidelines yesterday. Nice kid, I think his name was Gabe? He paid for his own trip to come up and check out the team and campus. He loves it up here and I'm pretty sure he will be walking on this fall. He looks like a basketball player. We all know what Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham have done for the TE position, crossing over from basketball. Throw it up and let them go get it.
I seem to recall MSU recruiting a very tall TE not this past cycle, but the year before. Could that be the same guy or is this guy still in high school?

It would be nice if MSU just gets something positive out of today's practice. A sign of progress, like one of the DEs looking solid, somewhere would be a pick-me-up for the weekend.

toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:57 am

TomCat88 wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

I seem to recall MSU recruiting a very tall TE not this past cycle, but the year before. Could that be the same guy or is this guy still in high school?

It would be nice if MSU just gets something positive out of today's practice. A sign of progress, like one of the DEs looking solid, somewhere would be a pick-me-up for the weekend.
The thing that has gotten lost in the shuffle through all the injury talk is that Luke Halliburton and Zach Hutchins look really, really good. Halliburton is up to almost 240 pounds. I hate to put pressure on the kid, but he's a poor man's Brad Daly. He's not the Ferrarri-like athlete Daly is, but he's short, strong as hell, has great balance and is fast. He's also got a crazy motor, is tough and driven and wants it. Now, I'm not saying he's going to go out and drop 13 sacks this season like Daly did as a sophomore, but he's a good player who's making progress. Hutchins is also a good player who just needs to learn how to be crafty. He's got the skill and athleticism.

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:43 am

The tall kid from north of the Napa Valley walking around the field is a senior who has heard about the program and came up on his own dime to check it out. Good looking clean cut kid interested in Business Mgmt. , hope he comes whether he tries out or not. Said he has been looking at bigger schools but really likes what he sees here.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:04 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

The thing that has gotten lost in the shuffle through all the injury talk is that Luke Halliburton and Zach Hutchins look really, really good. Halliburton is up to almost 240 pounds. I hate to put pressure on the kid, but he's a poor man's Brad Daly. He's not the Ferrarri-like athlete Daly is, but he's short, strong as hell, has great balance and is fast. He's also got a crazy motor, is tough and driven and wants it. Now, I'm not saying he's going to go out and drop 13 sacks this season like Daly did as a sophomore, but he's a good player who's making progress. Hutchins is also a good player who just needs to learn how to be crafty. He's got the skill and athleticism.
I realize you see these guys much more than I do, but Halliburton's work ethic and talent always reminded me of Schreibeis more than Daly. His height/size is definitely more similar to Daly though.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:31 pm

Who looked better at QB today?

toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:53 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Who looked better at QB today?
The quarterback who had the No. 1 offensive line blocking for them.

Bleskin looked better today. He threw a 25-yard TD to Gunnar Brekke during the live portion of today's drills. Write up coming soon.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:55 pm

Here's the article from msubobcats.com:

BOZEMAN, Mont. – Rob Ash was impressed by the game of catch-up he saw at Bobcat Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

“I felt like defense was really ahead of the offense all day throughout the practice, on our third downs simulated, the team periods that we did, the passing periods that we did, they made a lot of great plays. Then when we kicked into the live segment our (no.) one offense, I thought, executed extremely well. In sum I would say it was pretty even back and forth, but I was really happy with the offense in the live period.”

The Bobcat offense got untracked with Jake Bleskin under center. The junior from Great Falls engineered a touchdown drive, and Ash was pleased with the its nature. Chad Newell turned a reception on a short pass into about 20 yards, then Jake Bleskin found Gunnar Brekke on a 25-yard touchdown pass down the sideline.

“In football, explosive plays correlate very closely to wins,” MSU’s eighth-year head coach said. “There was an explosive play there, kind of a short pass, a dump-off to Chad Newell, and he made a bunch of people miss, and that got the offense rolling. The defense tried to make a stop with a great blitz by (Alex) Singleton that maybe, in a real game, might be a turnover, that was a great-timed blitz, so that was the defense’s chance to stop the rally. Then the play call and the execution on the touchdown pass was really nicely done. Newell’s play was impressive. There were good things both ways today.”

The MSU staff remains pleased with the work of both the currently active quarterbacks, Bleskin and Dakota Prukop. “Still really good by both of them,” Ash said. “I thought Jake had a little better day today, but that’s not going to decide things. It probably doesn’t favor Dakota that we can’t go live because one of his strengths is going to be running the football. But I thought Jake improved in that today, too.”

While the MSU defensive line has been depleted by injuries, especially at the end position, the front had a productive day on Saturday. “I thought the D-line had a great day,” Ash said. “They were very quick and very effective inside disrupting our blocking schemes. I’m really anxious to look at film and see how many mistakes were made and how many were just a case of D-line guys just winning one-on-ones against the O-line guys… Early on they destroyed a lot of plays early in the play.”

Montana State returns to practice Tuesday and Thursday before next weekend’s trip to Great Falls for the Triangle Classic. The event’s banquet is Friday evening, while the Bobcats scrimmage on Saturday.

toM StUber

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:43 pm

How's the center position shaping up?

If the center is to be Catalano, where does that leave Horn? How is Eekoff looking at tackle? Aggressive, knows the plays, knows where to go? Or is he slow off the line like last year and playing with sub par effort?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:05 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:How's the center position shaping up?

If the center is to be Catalano, where does that leave Horn? How is Eekoff looking at tackle? Aggressive, knows the plays, knows where to go? Or is he slow off the line like last year and playing with sub par effort?
You're probably asking Colter, but ... If Cat is the center, then Horn is the backup center and Eekhoff is the OT. If Horn is center, then Cat is OT. I don't the answer to the other three. Ash calls it a competition between Horn and Eekhoff.

toM StUber