Spring football

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Spring football

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:39 pm

I will be posting all my spring content here. Perhaps the mods could give this a sticky?

This first story is free. The rest of spring content will be premium, so if you haven't subscribed, please do. I promise to make it worth your time and funds.

Position battles abound as Bobcats open spring drills
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, for those who follow me on Twitter or use Twitter in general, I will be tagging all my spring tweets and all my articles about spring ball with #MSUSpring2014. You'll be able to click on that hashtag and catch up on everything that's going on. Thanks for reading!

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Re: Spring football

Post by Bozcat003 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:16 pm

Just heard from someone who definatly would know..

Matthew Devereux quit today. Bummer for sure

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:Just heard from someone who definatly would know..

](*,)

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:37 pm

What in God's name is it with these linemen here? We lose a handful every year. Mac should win an award every year just for having to deal with this.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:44 pm

He was working out during winter. Mac has a vid of him on March 6th. Maybe him already having a degree has something to do with it ???????????????????????

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:47 pm

There's no way this is true. =; =; [-( [-(

We were just getting comfortable with a center!

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Hawks86 wrote:He was working out during winter. Mac has a vid of him on March 6th. Maybe him already having a degree has something to do with it ???????????????????????
Nailed it.

guessing we will either go with Horn at center, or move Catalano there and make Eekhoff our starting RT
Last edited by Bozcat003 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:03 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:He was working out during winter. Mac has a vid of him on March 6th. Maybe him already having a degree has something to do with it ???????????????????????
Nailed it.
That's just about the best possible reason for somebody to move on -- good luck to him in his professional career!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Good for him. Here is the exact reason why we shouldn't criticize the coaching staff for playing a true freshman sparingly instead of redshirting him. If a player wants to get his degree in four years and move on with his life, more power to him!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm

MSU01 wrote:Good for him. Here is the exact reason why we shouldn't criticize the coaching staff for playing a true freshman sparingly instead of redshirting him. If a player wants to get his degree in four years and move on with his life, more power to him!
They get five years to play four, but what about when the school only gets three years when it offered four? That's not a serious question. Yes good for him. That's amazing to a slow, lazy person like myself.

If true, I guess that opens up a full ride for that 5-star, 4.36-40, 6-4, 200 lb, 4.0 GPA, physics major WR transfer with four years of eligibility left and is planning to live in Bozeman after graduating despite already having NFL scouts tell him his a lock first round NFL pick.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:29 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:Good for him. Here is the exact reason why we shouldn't criticize the coaching staff for playing a true freshman sparingly instead of redshirting him. If a player wants to get his degree in four years and move on with his life, more power to him!
They get five years to play four, but what about when the school only gets three years when it offered four? That's not a serious question. Yes good for him. That's amazing to a slow, lazy person like myself.

If true, I guess that opens up a full ride for that 5-star, 4.36-40, 6-4, 200 lb, 4.0 GPA, physics major WR transfer with four years of eligibility left and is planning to live in Bozeman after graduating despite already having NFL scouts tell him his a lock first round NFL pick.
From your lips to our ears....now you got me excited....or it St Paddy's and this amazing corned beef and beers at Bridger Brewing has made me believe everything you say....even if it's sarcastic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:44 pm

lutecat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

From your lips to our ears....now you got me excited....or it St Paddy's and this amazing corned beef and beers at Bridger Brewing has made me believe everything you say....even if it's sarcastic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
It's gotta be the beers! Happy St. Patricks Day!

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:04 pm

It's confirmed through a source that no doubt knows.

Starting center Devereux leaves MSU program on eve of spring drills
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:22 pm

I do wish him well but I don't like it. Maybe he has an injury but for gods sake you get to do this once in your life, show some team pride, could not imagine. I do realize though when your done your done, Good luck too him and hope no regrets.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:34 pm

The OL curse continues............ ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:59 am

mslacatfan wrote:The OL curse continues............ ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Indeed. The Bobcats have somehow been cursed regarding our O Line. No team is perennially in this bad of shape with their O Line.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:17 am

Let's not go off the deep end here. Devereux is a loss, but he's leaving on great terms. Not only is he off to grad school, but we have great depth on the OL relative to just a couple years ago when we struggled to find five guys to man the OL for spring ball.

The choices and options are plentiful and encouraging. Horn, Hanson or Fraley could step in and be just as effective overall. Catalano played some center in HS and he could move over with Eekhoff taking his spot. There is now a competition for that spot between those three and in the rare chance none if them have it I'm sure Catalano will.

It's also worth keeping mind that Devereux wasn't the best at snapping the ball.

While not good news its something we can handle.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:40 am

I am very excited for Matthew and it appears he has a great head on his shoulders and realized that football was just one more year, but the furthering of his education impacts the rest of his life. That is an extremely mature decision for a student athlete to make, especially one that is on the field and not just occupying space on the sideline.

I was faced with a similar situation a long time ago. I had the option of finishing my wrestling career by taking a normal credit load (I still believe I had an outside shot of earning A.A. status that final year - not said with arrogance, that was truly my goal) and then having to delay graduation, or take a huge credit load and finish that semester. To this day, I do not regret walking away. The doors that opened in life after I made that decision were incredible. Without knowing any more about this situation, I can only assume the best for him.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:48 am

tdub wrote:I am very excited for Matthew and it appears he has a great head on his shoulders and realized that football was just one more year, but the furthering of his education impacts the rest of his life. That is an extremely mature decision for a student athlete to make, especially one that is on the field and not just occupying space on the sideline.

I was faced with a similar situation a long time ago. I had the option of finishing my wrestling career by taking a normal credit load (I still believe I had an outside shot of earning A.A. status that final year - not said with arrogance, that was truly my goal) and then having to delay graduation, or take a huge credit load and finish that semester. To this day, I do not regret walking away. The doors that opened in life after I made that decision were incredible. Without knowing any more about this situation, I can only assume the best for him.
=D^ Great post. This shouldn't be a moment for fans to be bummed out.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:28 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
tdub wrote:I am very excited for Matthew and it appears he has a great head on his shoulders and realized that football was just one more year, but the furthering of his education impacts the rest of his life. That is an extremely mature decision for a student athlete to make, especially one that is on the field and not just occupying space on the sideline.

=D^ Great post. This shouldn't be a moment for fans to be bummed out.
As exciting as it would be to watch how he does in Grad School.... personally, I would rather have been able to watch him on the football field these next 2 years... Just my selfish opinion. :D

FTG- GO CATS GO!