MSU Pro Day

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catzfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

MSU Pro Day

Post by Catzfan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Does anyone know when MSU's pro day is? Who is participating?

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU Pro Day

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:35 pm

Looks like it's Tuesday. No idea who all is participating.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:41 pm

It's April 16.

I know DeNarius McGhee, Cody Kirk and Brad Daly are all participating. Donald Tudahl might be here as well. I'm not sure who else. I will find out. I'm told MSU will have a release about it in the next few days.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:43 pm

CatBlitz wrote:Looks like it's Tuesday. No idea who all is participating.
Montana's pro day is however tomorrow. Linebackers Brock Coyle and Jordan Tripp along with offensive lineman Jon Opperud I know are participating.

The reason I mention it is former Montana State running back Cody Kirk and defensive end Preston Gale will also participate. I know of one person going who is going to try to text me times/measurements. I'll have a story tomorrow night.

Former MSU wide receiver Tanner Bleskin, I'm told, will test at Washington's Pro Day on April 2 and on MSU's pro day on April 16. On MSU's pro day, former defensive end and 2013 Buck Buchanan award winner Brad Daly and former All-America quarterback DeNarius McGhee are also expected to test.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:54 pm

After hearing Kirks numbers at his pro day I'm very impressed. I would like to see what Chase Reynolds numbers were, just to get a legit idea of what chances Kirk has at getting a look from a team.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:After hearing Kirks numbers at his pro day I'm very impressed. I would like to see what Chase Reynolds numbers were, just to get a legit idea of what chances Kirk has at getting a look from a team.
On his pro day at UM in 2011, Reynolds measured in at 5-11, 201 pounds. He ran 4.61 and 4.59 40s, a 4.26 short shuttle and a 6.78 3-cone drill. He had a 36-inch vertical, a 9-6 broad jump and did eight bench-press repetitions (he was fresh off shoulder surgery).

On Tuesday, Kirk measured in at 5-10, 214 pounds. He ran a 4.57 40, had a 38-inch vertical, did 20 reps on the bench and had a 10-foot broad jump. I did not receive reports of his short shuttle or 3-cone drill. The best part for Kirk is he'll have another chance in a month at Montana State's pro day. DeNarius McGhee isn't cleared to do anything until April 14 so that's why MSU's isn't until the 16th.

Also of note: Preston Gale had an outstanding day. He's down 10-15 pounds and is trying to make it as an outside linebacker. He measured in at 6-3, 240 pounds. He did 30 reps on the bench, which I'm told he was actually disappointed in having done 34 reps just days before. He ran a 4.58 40, had a 9-5 broad jump and a 32.5 inch vertical. Again, I did not get his pro agility or 3-cone numbers.

There were 12 NFL teams there and one CFL team. The Edminton Eskimos said they'd like to have private workouts with Gale and Kirk.

Tanner Bleskin was running routes at spring drills today. Bleskin, Kirk, McGhee, Gale, Brad Daly and former MSU long snapper Donny Tudahl will compete at MSU's pro day next month. I'm not sure who else.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:After hearing Kirks numbers at his pro day I'm very impressed. I would like to see what Chase Reynolds numbers were, just to get a legit idea of what chances Kirk has at getting a look from a team.
On his pro day at UM in 2011, Reynolds measured in at 5-11, 201 pounds. He ran 4.61 and 4.59 40s, a 4.26 short shuttle and a 6.78 3-cone drill. He had a 36-inch vertical, a 9-6 broad jump and did eight bench-press repetitions (he was fresh off shoulder surgery).

On Tuesday, Kirk measured in at 5-10, 214 pounds. He ran a 4.57 40, had a 38-inch vertical, did 20 reps on the bench and had a 10-foot broad jump. I did not receive reports of his short shuttle or 3-cone drill. The best part for Kirk is he'll have another chance in a month at Montana State's pro day. DeNarius McGhee isn't cleared to do anything until April 14 so that's why MSU's isn't until the 16th.

Also of note: Preston Gale had an outstanding day. He's down 10-15 pounds and is trying to make it as an outside linebacker. He measured in at 6-3, 240 pounds. He did 30 reps on the bench, which I'm told he was actually disappointed in having done 34 reps just days before. He ran a 4.58 40, had a 9-5 broad jump and a 32.5 inch vertical. Again, I did not get his pro agility or 3-cone numbers.

There were 12 NFL teams there and one CFL team. The Edminton Eskimos said they'd like to have private workouts with Gale and Kirk.

Tanner Bleskin was running routes at spring drills today. Bleskin, Kirk, McGhee, Gale, Brad Daly and former MSU long snapper Donny Tudahl will compete at MSU's pro day next month. I'm not sure who else.
I guess Kirk wasn't as slow as some made him out to be on here.A 4.57 forty and a forty inch vertical has to be at the very least average in the NFL, doesn't it Colter?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

I guess Kirk wasn't as slow as some made him out to be on here.A 4.57 forty and a forty inch vertical has to be at the very least average in the NFL, doesn't it Colter?
It was most likely hand-timed, so if you want to compare it to a combine time, you'd probably want to take a tenth or so off. His vertical denotes that he's explosive in short bursts, which the tape kind of shows.

Basically, all you need to do is watch his tape. Does his film make his speed look like it's average in the NFL? My answer would be no.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

17 of the 36 running backs who participated at the NFL combine in February ran faster 40 times than Kirk. He was as fast as Coastal Caroline stud Lorenzo Taliferro (4.58), and a few steps faster than Sam Houston star Tim Flanders (4.75). But the combine times are electronic and completely accurate where as pro day times are hand-timed. Seven of the RBs did more than Kirk's 20 reps and five more equalled it. 13 of the RBs had longer broad jumps and three more jumped exactly 10 feet like Kirk. Only three running backs — Baylor's Lache Seastrunk (41.5), Georgia Southern's Jerrick McKinnon (40.5) and Auburn's Tre Mason (38.5) — had bigger verticals than Kirk, while five more equalled his 38 inches.

The most under the radar freak has got to be McKinnon. At 5-9, 209, he ran a 4.4 flat, did 32 reps on the bench, had a 40.5 inch vertical an 11-1 broad jump, ran 4.12 in the shuttle and 6.83 in the 3-cone drill.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Kirk is a tough, patient runner with adequate athleticism. That profile doesn't get you drafted out of MSU. That profile can get you a very long (by NFL running back standards) and reasonably lucrative (again, by NFL running back standards) career if you have reliable hands and you're an outstanding pass protector. A whole lot of NFL teams have a guy who plays a ton in the shotgun formation but doesn't run the ball much or even all that well, and every year the team's fans expect him to get cut, because they don't realize that he's on the roster to protect the QB and gain positive yardage on dump-offs. A lot of those guys last longer than the ones whose only skill is carrying the ball. So my advice to Kirk (hah! like he needs my advice :lol: ) would be that he really focus on his pass protection.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:12 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:Kirk is a tough, patient runner with adequate athleticism. That profile doesn't get you drafted out of MSU. That profile can get you a very long (by NFL running back standards) and reasonably lucrative (again, by NFL running back standards) career if you have reliable hands and you're an outstanding pass protector. A whole lot of NFL teams have a guy who plays a ton in the shotgun formation but doesn't run the ball much or even all that well, and every year the team's fans expect him to get cut, because they don't realize that he's on the roster to protect the QB and gain positive yardage on dump-offs. A lot of those guys last longer than the ones whose only skill is carrying the ball. So my advice to Kirk (hah! like he needs my advice :lol: ) would be that he really focus on his pass protection.
And unfortunately, that's the thing he excels at the least.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:26 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:Kirk is a tough, patient runner with adequate athleticism. That profile doesn't get you drafted out of MSU. That profile can get you a very long (by NFL running back standards) and reasonably lucrative (again, by NFL running back standards) career if you have reliable hands and you're an outstanding pass protector. A whole lot of NFL teams have a guy who plays a ton in the shotgun formation but doesn't run the ball much or even all that well, and every year the team's fans expect him to get cut, because they don't realize that he's on the roster to protect the QB and gain positive yardage on dump-offs. A lot of those guys last longer than the ones whose only skill is carrying the ball. So my advice to Kirk (hah! like he needs my advice :lol: ) would be that he really focus on his pass protection.
There's no reason talent-wise that he couldn't get better, though. Nor does he lack the toughness or attitude.

The Steelers had a guy similar to Kirk for a couple years named Gary Russell, although his story was totally different. So-so athlete, really tough runner. Russell was 5'11 and about 215 I think. He scored a bunch of TDs at Minnesota, had a lousy combine and went undrafted. Pittsburgh used him as their short yardage guy (and occasionally as a kick returner, but Tomlin was going through a phase where only his backup running backs returned kicks, even if they were 240-pound tweeners). His career only lasted a few years and his stats were unimpressive, but he did get a Super Bowl ring.

On the other hand, if Gary Russell could pass protect like Clinton Portis, he might still be playing.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:55 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
There's no reason talent-wise that he couldn't get better, though. Nor does he lack the toughness or attitude.

The Steelers had a guy similar to Kirk for a couple years named Gary Russell, although his story was totally different. So-so athlete, really tough runner. Russell was 5'11 and about 215 I think. He scored a bunch of TDs at Minnesota, had a lousy combine and went undrafted. Pittsburgh used him as their short yardage guy (and occasionally as a kick returner, but Tomlin was going through a phase where only his backup running backs returned kicks, even if they were 240-pound tweeners). His career only lasted a few years and his stats were unimpressive, but he did get a Super Bowl ring.

On the other hand, if Gary Russell could pass protect like Clinton Portis, he might still be playing.
I completely agree that Kirk has no deficiency in toughness, attitude, fortitude or desire. I truly think the only reason he's not a polished pass blocker is because that was never his role at MSU. WHen he was a sophomore and a junior, that was what Tray Robinson did best. As a senior, that often times fell to Chad Newell.

Kirk carried the ball 666 times in his MSU career and piled up 63 more catches :shock: . If he would have had to be the third-down back and primary other pass protector, it might have been RIP, Cody Kirk!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:49 am

It's important to keep in mind who took Reynolds. Chase is a great player and I'm not trying to discredit his acheivements, but it doesn't hurt that former grizz Brandon Fisher is the son of former Tennessee and current St. Louis head coach and is on his dad's staff. That's a huge in. I know they don't just take players who are their friends, but if it's close (and it often is) between 2-3 guys it certainly helps.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:16 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:It's important to keep in mind who took Reynolds. Chase is a great player and I'm not trying to discredit his acheivements, but it doesn't hurt that former grizz Brandon Fisher is the son of former Tennessee and current St. Louis head coach and is on his dad's staff. That's a huge in. I know they don't just take players who are their friends, but if it's close (and it often is) between 2-3 guys it certainly helps.
I'm going to go ahead and say the idea that they signed him because he was the coach's sons friend is ******. I wouldn't argue that it got him looked at, but to say he got signed because of what is essentially nepotism seems like that would be stupid. These coaches don't get to sign that many players, they aren't going to waste a roster spot because of his kids friend.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:21 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:It's important to keep in mind who took Reynolds. Chase is a great player and I'm not trying to discredit his acheivements, but it doesn't hurt that former grizz Brandon Fisher is the son of former Tennessee and current St. Louis head coach and is on his dad's staff. That's a huge in. I know they don't just take players who are their friends, but if it's close (and it often is) between 2-3 guys it certainly helps.
I'm going to go ahead and say the idea that they signed him because he was the coach's sons friend is ******. I wouldn't argue that it got him looked at, but to say he got signed because of what is essentially nepotism seems like that would be stupid. These coaches don't get to sign that many players, they aren't going to waste a roster spot because of his kids friend.
Personal connections often come into play in landing jobs in any profession ... including NFL football.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:56 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Personal connections often come into play in landing jobs in any profession ... including NFL football.
You're misinterpreting what I'm saying.

Is it possible it got him looked at? Of course, and it probably did. And that of course played a role in them signing him, because it is probably how they noticed him.

Do I think that they signed him over a player of similar skill because he's friends with the coaches son? No, I do not.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:24 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Do I think that they signed him over a player of similar skill because he's friends with the coaches son? No, I do not.
I have no idea if they signed him over a player of similar skill due to personal relationships -- I have no insight into that particular situation at all. But in any scenario where there are two players of equal skill and one has a positive personal relationship with the coach and one doesn't, I would always put my money on the guy with the positive personal relationship with the coach getting the job. That's not nepotism -- that's just how business and society in general tends to work.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:50 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:Do I think that they signed him over a player of similar skill because he's friends with the coaches son? No, I do not.
I have no idea if they signed him over a player of similar skill due to personal relationships -- I have no insight into that particular situation at all. But in any scenario where there are two players of equal skill and one has a positive personal relationship with the coach and one doesn't, I would always put my money on the guy with the positive personal relationship with the coach getting the job. That's not nepotism -- that's just how business and society in general tends to work.
Just popped a glass of champaign, because this is the first time I am in complete agreement with you!!! :shrug:

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
Just popped a glass of champaign, because this is the first time I am in complete agreement with you!!! :shrug:
What kind of champagne do you drink that it comes already in a glass?

Only kidding and I totally agree with BAC as well. Personal relationships are some of the major driving forces behind hiring/firing people. Also how comfortable a boss/coach is with said person is another major factor. (again this assumes ability/resume are equal)

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level