MSU Pro Day

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU Pro Day

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:The griz have the pieces(scouts,agents) in place that get their names out there better than MSU does.
You might be right, I know nothing about this. Could you enlighten me on how you know this? Just seems odd because other Big Sky schools put players in the league as well, Eastern's got around 6 right now.
Take a look at pro days for example. The griz had 10-15? scouts. MSU had maybe 4 or 5 last year. Feel free to research the other BSC pro days.
As I said, I don't know anything about this. You don't think that has anything to do with there being a potential 3rd round pick participating?
Sure, but they always have more. I'm just basically saying that MSU needs to somehow increase their efforts on the visibility of potential NFL players. There should be no reason that Daly isn't at the combine. Minter should not have to perform well at a regional combine to get noticed
Daly wasn't invited to the combine because he was/is hurt and he's 6 feet tall. The NFL isn't trying to waste a spot on a guy they know is a tweener no matter what his tests come out to be. If Minter wasn't hurt his senior year, he would have been invited to the combine too.

There's an easy solution to increasing your visibility to NFL teams: recruit and develop better players.
I get what you're saying, but it's not MSU's fault he's 6' tall.
And I'm not sure I really follow the logic of Zach's injury. There are plenty of players that get combine invites simply because they were hurt earlier in the year and it gives them a chance to showcase themselves later. Unless he was more injured at the time of the combine, then I could understand more.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:12 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:The griz have the pieces(scouts,agents) in place that get their names out there better than MSU does.
The grizz did a great job of recruiting for a nice stretch with Hauck there. We probably won't see another run like it from a BSC team in decades.
The amount of talent Hauck recruited and developed is unprecedented. The fact that he put more than a dozen players in the NFL and didn't win a single national championship is mind-boggling. My four years in school, the Griz went 31-1 in the Big Sky and the lone loss (At Weber in 2008), the avenged in the playoffs. Absolutely crazy they got run outta town in Chattanooga three different times.

At one point, they had four NFL defensive backs playing at once with Trumaine Johnson and Jimmy Wilson at corner and Colt Anderson and Shann Schillinger at safety. That will not happen again any time soon, I promise you.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:13 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
You might be right, I know nothing about this. Could you enlighten me on how you know this? Just seems odd because other Big Sky schools put players in the league as well, Eastern's got around 6 right now.
Take a look at pro days for example. The griz had 10-15? scouts. MSU had maybe 4 or 5 last year. Feel free to research the other BSC pro days.
As I said, I don't know anything about this. You don't think that has anything to do with there being a potential 3rd round pick participating?
Sure, but they always have more. I'm just basically saying that MSU needs to somehow increase their efforts on the visibility of potential NFL players. There should be no reason that Daly isn't at the combine. Minter should not have to perform well at a regional combine to get noticed
Daly wasn't invited to the combine because he was/is hurt and he's 6 feet tall. The NFL isn't trying to waste a spot on a guy they know is a tweener no matter what his tests come out to be. If Minter wasn't hurt his senior year, he would have been invited to the combine too.

There's an easy solution to increasing your visibility to NFL teams: recruit and develop better players.
And I'm not sure I really follow the logic of Zach's injury. There are plenty of players that get combine invites simply because they were hurt earlier in the year and it gives them a chance to showcase themselves later. Unless he was more injured at the time of the combine, then I could understand more.
Those players who get combine invites despite being injured earlier in the year aren't 6-1 FCS defensive tackles. They are proven commodities in power conferences who were NFL prospects long before the NFL combine.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:15 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:

Those players who get combine invites despite being injured earlier in the year aren't 6-1 FCS defensive tackles. They are proven commodities in power conferences who were NFL prospects long before the NFL combine.
Eh, I've heard NFL talk for Minter since his sophomore year. There are plenty of small school examples of players at the combine. Including the injured. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just saying that something is amiss. Either on MSU's part or the NFL.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:35 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:

Eh, I've heard NFL talk for Minter since his sophomore year. There are plenty of small school examples of players at the combine. Including the injured. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just saying that something is amiss. Either on MSU's part or the NFL.
I think Colter is making the point that it's MSU's fault for not developing their talent correctly. A big case in point DM, who got worse and worse every year. I hold that on Ash, in my opinion I think he tied Denarius' hands too much... I don't believe he's a "Next Level Coach" we need, he has the moral's but lacks the leadership to fire up his players and let them play. I know a lot of people are probably going to mad I say this but I don't think MSU will ever win a NC with Ash at the helm.

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

MSU Pro Day

Post by tampa_griz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
The grizz did a great job of recruiting for a nice stretch with Hauck there. We probably won't see another run like it from a BSC team in decades.
The amount of talent Hauck recruited and developed is unprecedented. The fact that he put more than a dozen players in the NFL and didn't win a single national championship is mind-boggling. My four years in school, the Griz went 31-1 in the Big Sky and the lone loss (At Weber in 2008), the avenged in the playoffs. Absolutely crazy they got run outta town in Chattanooga three different times.

At one point, they had four NFL defensive backs playing at once with Trumaine Johnson and Jimmy Wilson at corner and Colt Anderson and Shann Schillinger at safety. That will not happen again any time soon, I promise you.
I was thinking about that the other day. Hauck was pretty good at Xs and Os but geezuz....the player development under his tenure was insane.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:

Daly is a pure linebacker in the NFL, just like Fletcher is. He has the athleticism to be a good one, too.

The one hitch is that Daly has said he hates playing LB and doesn't want to do it. Fletcher never said anything like that.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:32 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:

Daly is a pure linebacker in the NFL, just like Fletcher is. He has the athleticism to be a good one, too.

The one hitch is that Daly has said he hates playing LB and doesn't want to do it. Fletcher never said anything like that.
So true, and in that particular sense, Daly may have sealed his fate by not developing as a LB to begin with.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:55 pm

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:55 pm

Let's not forget that the griz have an agent in Missoula that reps alot of them. I'm sure he has the connections to get some of those scouts there. Ken something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

info197176
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by info197176 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:38 am

Ken Staninger passed away over a year ago.

Born2BaGriz wrote:
2506 is like the guys who bitches about Hugh Heffner having three girlfriends and goes home alone to his dog every night

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:57 am

Hauck seems to be the common denominator. He started in 2003 and if I recall correctly recruited Biermann and Carpenter. They're the oldest of all the Griz players in the NFL. There were a few guys that got looks prior to that, but Hauck's guys represent a relative glut in producing NFL players and tryouts.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:01 am

TomCat88 wrote:Hauck seems to be the common denominator. He started in 2003 and if I recall correctly recruited Biermann and Carpenter. They're the oldest of all the Griz players in the NFL. There were a few guys that got looks prior to that, but Hauck's guys represent a relative glut in producing NFL players and tryouts.
I can't believe you broke one of the cardinal rules of BN. Thou shalt not say good things about Bobby!!!

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:58 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:Looks like it's Tuesday. No idea who all is participating.
Montana's pro day is however tomorrow. Linebackers Brock Coyle and Jordan Tripp along with offensive lineman Jon Opperud I know are participating.

The reason I mention it is former Montana State running back Cody Kirk and defensive end Preston Gale will also participate. I know of one person going who is going to try to text me times/measurements. I'll have a story tomorrow night.

Former MSU wide receiver Tanner Bleskin, I'm told, will test at Washington's Pro Day on April 2 and on MSU's pro day on April 16. On MSU's pro day, former defensive end and 2013 Buck Buchanan award winner Brad Daly and former All-America quarterback DeNarius McGhee are also expected to test.
Did Bleskin end up doing the Washington pro day and if so how did it go? Is today still MSU's Pro day?

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 am

McEndoo is posting some videos and updates on his Twitter account as we speak. https://twitter.com/JasonMcEndoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Shaner
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Shaner » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:41 am

Coach McEndoo is posting vines of the pro day on Twitter right now. DM and Tanner Bleskin are shown doing the vertical and long jumps, respectively.

Looks like the Seahawks, Chargers, Colts, and Raiders are in attendance.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:17 pm

Gale and Bethley sound like they're doing OK, but the rest not so much.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Coaches always talked about how John Ellis had game breaking speed. I think he ran a 4.66 and a 4.7......the slow guy, Tanner Bleskin, ran a 4.71

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:28 pm

wbtfg wrote:Coaches always talked about how John Ellis had game breaking speed. I think he ran a 4.66 and a 4.7......the slow guy, Tanner Bleskin, ran a 4.71
Ellis was quick, but his deep routes didn't seem to break open much. What's more troubling is Bleskin under threw him vs Mesa.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:08 pm

curious was DM's 40 time was, anyone know?

FTG- GO CATS GO!