MSU Pro Day

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU Pro Day

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:25 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:It's important to keep in mind who took Reynolds. Chase is a great player and I'm not trying to discredit his acheivements, but it doesn't hurt that former grizz Brandon Fisher is the son of former Tennessee and current St. Louis head coach and is on his dad's staff. That's a huge in. I know they don't just take players who are their friends, but if it's close (and it often is) between 2-3 guys it certainly helps.
I'm going to go ahead and say the idea that they signed him because he was the coach's sons friend is ******. I wouldn't argue that it got him looked at, but to say he got signed because of what is essentially nepotism seems like that would be stupid. These coaches don't get to sign that many players, they aren't going to waste a roster spot because of his kids friend.
Yes. I agree. I'm glad you set me straight on this. Obviously I didn't look at it that way.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Gale's stats are very impressive, makes me wonder if he was able to be injury free for the last couple years what his stats would have been. It would be awesome if he got invited to any camp and show teams what his potential truly is.

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Was Jeff Fisher the Rams' coach when Reynolds was signed there?

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:29 pm

tampa_griz wrote:Was Jeff Fisher the Rams' coach when Reynolds was signed there?
Not originally (2011) but he signed a future/reserve contact with them about the exact time Fisher agreed to be the coach in January of 2012.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

bigsky2000
New Recruit

Post by bigsky2000 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:33 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
tampa_griz wrote:Was Jeff Fisher the Rams' coach when Reynolds was signed there?
Not originally (2011) but he signed a future/reserve contact with them about the exact time Fisher agreed to be the coach in January of 2012.
Yep, so he signed a contract with the Rams before that while nobody considered his, "buddy", was on the coaching staff :coffee:

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:23 pm

bigsky2000 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Yep, so he signed a contract with the Rams before that while nobody considered his, "buddy", was on the coaching staff :coffee:
Reynolds started out at Seattle. Got cut. Picked up by Rams. Signed to their practice squad. He didn't play in a regular season game until 2012. 2013 is considered his second season in the NFL. As I stated initially I'm not knocking him. He's a great player. I do wonder of he'd be playing today without the Fisher connection. I didn't say a word about how he got started. :lol: You guys are hilarious sometimes.

bigsky2000
New Recruit

Post by bigsky2000 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:31 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:It's important to keep in mind who took Reynolds. Chase is a great player and I'm not trying to discredit his acheivements, but it doesn't hurt that former grizz Brandon Fisher is the son of former Tennessee and current St. Louis head coach and is on his dad's staff. That's a huge in. I know they don't just take players who are their friends, but if it's close (and it often is) between 2-3 guys it certainly helps.
Uh huh. :coffee:

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:36 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Thank you for an informative answer without BS. I honestly didn't know.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:37 pm

The griz have the pieces(scouts,agents) in place that get their names out there better than MSU does.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

bigsky2000
New Recruit

Post by bigsky2000 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Hawks86 wrote:The griz have the pieces(scouts,agents) in place that get their names out there better than MSU does.
You might be right, I know nothing about this. Could you enlighten me on how you know this? Just seems odd because other Big Sky schools put players in the league as well, Eastern's got around 6 right now.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Hawks86 wrote:The griz have the pieces(scouts,agents) in place that get their names out there better than MSU does.
The grizz did a great job of recruiting for a nice stretch with Hauck there. We probably won't see another run like it from a BSC team in decades.

bigsky2000
New Recruit

Post by bigsky2000 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:58 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
The grizz did a great job of recruiting for a nice stretch with Hauck there. We probably won't see another run like it from a BSC team in decades.
Yep, he did a great job. I believe the class including Tripp and Coyle is the last of the Hauck era, we'll see if the Griz's Nfl output slows down in the coming years.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:05 pm

bigsky2000 wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
Yep, he did a great job. I believe the class including Tripp and Coyle is the last of the Hauck era, we'll see if the Griz's Nfl output slows down in the coming years.
Make that Tripp, Coyle, Kistler, Oiland, Bienemann, and Poehls. Kanongata'a was a Pflugrad guy. This will be the first year at um with no Hauck players since 2003.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:09 pm

bigsky2000 wrote:
You might be right, I know nothing about this. Could you enlighten me on how you know this? Just seems odd because other Big Sky schools put players in the league as well, Eastern's got around 6 right now.
Take a look at pro days for example. The griz had 10-15? scouts. MSU had maybe 4 or 5 last year. Feel free to research the other BSC pro days.

bigsky2000
New Recruit

Post by bigsky2000 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:17 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
Take a look at pro days for example. The griz had 10-15? scouts. MSU had maybe 4 or 5 last year. Feel free to research the other BSC pro days.
As I said, I don't know anything about this. You don't think that has anything to do with there being a potential 3rd round pick participating?

bigsky2000
New Recruit

Post by bigsky2000 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:25 pm

If none of the griz make a big name for themselves like Tripp and Trumaine and others have done prior to pro day, there won't be that many scouts at Pro Day next year to watch...

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:27 pm

bigsky2000 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
As I said, I don't know anything about this. You don't think that has anything to do with there being a potential 3rd round pick participating?
Sure, but they always have more. I'm just basically saying that MSU needs to somehow increase their efforts on the visibility of potential NFL players. There should be no reason that Daly isn't at the combine. Minter should not have to perform well at a regional combine to get noticed

bigsky2000
New Recruit

Post by bigsky2000 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
Sure, but they always have more. I'm just basically saying that MSU needs to somehow increase their efforts on the visibility of potential NFL players. There should be no reason that Daly isn't at the combine. Minter should not have to perform well at a regional combine to get noticed
You could totally be right. I just find it hard to believe that, a school like South Dakota can get a linebacker into this years combine based on anything but talent. The combine isn't easy to get into.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
bigsky2000 wrote:
Daly wasn't invited to the combine because he was/is hurt and he's 6 feet tall. The NFL isn't trying to waste a spot on a guy they know is a tweener no matter what his tests come out to be. If Minter wasn't hurt his senior year, he would have been invited to the combine too.

There's an easy solution to increasing your visibility to NFL teams: recruit and develop better players.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:53 pm

Knock it off with your common sense and rational answers, Colter. :wink: