Triangle Classic speaker will be...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Triangle Classic speaker will be...

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:05 pm

GoCats18 wrote:I would rather sit and listen to Bobby Hauck speak, and I can't stand the piece of .....!!
Ha....I drank with Bobby after the Appy State playoff game. One of his best friends is a friend of mine. Grilled him for a hour. Every answer he give me was a good one. So I just drank the coors lights he was buying and enjoyed his company. He's not a bad guy to hangout with. And yep, he hates MSU. Can't blame him for that, I don't like U of M either.

MashTun

Post by MashTun » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:09 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:I would rather sit and listen to Bobby Hauck speak, and I can't stand the piece of .....!!
Ha....I drank with Bobby after the Appy State playoff game. One of his best friends is a friend of mine. Grilled him for a hour. Every answer he give me was a good one. So I just drank the coors lights he was buying and enjoyed his company. He's not a bad guy to hangout with. And yep, he hates MSU. Can't blame him for that, I don't like U of M either.
Can't imagine the circumstances under which I would decide to spend a second of my life with that guy, much less an hour...even if it does involve beer, well I guess it didn't really :sick:

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:17 am

MashTun wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Can't imagine the circumstances under which I would decide to spend a second of my life with that guy, much less an hour...even if it does involve beer, well I guess it didn't really :sick:
You can take shots at Bobby all you want. But my beer? How rude.... :lol:

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:03 pm

Just watched a play in the Louisville/St Louis game that I would love to ask Emmert about. Louisville fouls St Louis Player. Louisville gets to shoot two free throws. Louisville gets the ball after 2 made free throws.

Seriously Who comes up with these stupid ass rules?

IYAACYAS

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:57 pm

Did you catch the flying elbow that Luke what's his name took to the face. There would be your reason. Made sense to me. No reason to be throwing elbows like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BFcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BFcatfan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Hillary Clinton would be more entertaining. Really Emmert. I attend every year and will again this year. Hope they pass out hearing protection before he speaks. I look forward to the past NFL players who come to speak, most of the time they have great stories and hold the crowds attention. Not seeing that happening. Hopefully I am wrong. I'm guessing Peter Fields was in charge of the selection this year.

With success comes attention, with attention comes cockiness, with cockiness comes arrogance, with arrogance comes rudeness...and they wonder why I hate the Griz ! FTG

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:17 pm

notso wrote:This was all Bozeman. Great Falls had no say in the speaker this year.
Given the AD we have, this doesn't surprise me at all. They are both of the same ilk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:58 pm

Is the triangle classic an event for raising money for MSU or is there a charity it's targeting?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Coyote77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Coyote77 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:04 am

TomCat88 wrote:Is the triangle classic an event for raising money for MSU or is there a charity it's targeting?
All the money raised goes to MSU Tom.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:06 am

Since the whole weekend is a fundraising event, I would hope that boosters attend and contribute regardless of who's giving a 30 minute keynote address at a dinner. I hope people see past their issues with one (or two people) and continue to support the event and MSU as a whole.

Have you ever bought fundraising crap from people's kids, even though you really didn't want said crap? Just wanted to support the kid and their cause. Think of it as the same thing. And there are plenty of other events you can get excited about that weekend. You can tolerate this for the greater cause 8)

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:24 am

I am surprised at the hate that the selection of Emmert inspires. Having a guy like this discussing challenges to the NCAA is far more illuminating to me than some former NFL guy past stories. While I can find plenty wrong with the way they do business, I find it hard to come up with a model that would work as well. The NCAA is so diverse with the differences between Div 3 all the way up to the power conferences always pulling in opposite directions. At least a guy like Emmert can illustrate some of that complexity. Money is going to tear apart the NCAA, I don't see it lasting another 10 years.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:43 am

allcat wrote:I am surprised at the hate that the selection of Emmert inspires. Having a guy like this discussing challenges to the NCAA is far more illuminating to me than some former NFL guy past stories. While I can find plenty wrong with the way they do business, I find it hard to come up with a model that would work as well. The NCAA is so diverse with the differences between Div 3 all the way up to the power conferences always pulling in opposite directions. At least a guy like Emmert can illustrate some of that complexity. Money is going to tear apart the NCAA, I don't see it lasting another 10 years.
Agreed. He may not be the most exciting speaker, but getting a chance to hear what he has to say when the NCAA is under more scrutiny than ever is really a great opportunity. Personally, I don't care that much about sitting in a room and listening to some ex-football player speak, because I don't exactly have the highest expectations for what they'll say. Maybe I'm just not star-struck enough. But hearing a guy who is running a business that so many people care about, and that so many people have very strong opinions about, is far more interesting as far as speakers go. Obviously it's not interesting to get his autograph or have a photo taken with him, but the speaker and topic are very interesting and relevant. I can never make the Triangle Classic because I am a track coach and always have a meet that weekend, but this is one I'd really like to make it to.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:56 am

allcat wrote:I am surprised at the hate that the selection of Emmert inspires. Having a guy like this discussing challenges to the NCAA is far more illuminating to me than some former NFL guy past stories. While I can find plenty wrong with the way they do business, I find it hard to come up with a model that would work as well. The NCAA is so diverse with the differences between Div 3 all the way up to the power conferences always pulling in opposite directions. At least a guy like Emmert can illustrate some of that complexity. Money is going to tear apart the NCAA, I don't see it lasting another 10 years.
Allcat, KIttieKop, and Kenneth all make excellent points. To me, the speaker is just a very small component of the overall Triangle Classic experience, and it's a great event for MSU Athletics, regardless of whether or not you enjoy the speaker. And while it's cool to hear an NFL Hall Of Famer talk, and to meet them (as a lifelong Rams fan, I was particularly excited to meet Eric Dickerson last year), I also don't think it's such a terrible thing to change things up once in awhile, and have a speaker whose subject matter will be a bit more substantive. Emmert was on Meet The Press yesterday, as one of the panelists in a debate about paying student athletes.

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:49 am

John K wrote:
Allcat, KIttieKop, and Kenneth all make excellent points. To me, the speaker is just a very small component of the overall Triangle Classic experience, and it's a great event for MSU Athletics, regardless of whether or not you enjoy the speaker. And while it's cool to hear an NFL Hall Of Famer talk, and to meet them (as a lifelong Rams fan, I was particularly excited to meet Eric Dickerson last year), I also don't think it's such a terrible thing to change things up once in awhile, and have a speaker whose subject matter will be a bit more substantive. Emmert was on Meet The Press yesterday, as one of the panelists in a debate about paying student athletes.
Thanks for saving me all the keystrokes! The speaker is like a garnish to a great meal, definitely not a deal breaker! If you've never been you're missing
out on an evening spent with players, coaches and fans from across the state not just our area. It definitely revs up your blue and gold heart. :thumbup:

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

getrdonecat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by getrdonecat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Well it was the garnish that ruined it for me. I called a member of the triangle classic to tell them thatI would not be buying a table/package. For me it is not only the speaker that was chosen by PF it is the pulling the rug out from underneath the Great Falls Boosters. They started this, they work their tails off to put it on, and they write a very sizable check every year to MSU, and now they are getting told we can do it better. There are lots of issues that prove why PF is not a proffesor in the college of business, but the point is why screw with a proven winner. If the banquet was held tomorrow there would be the loss of $48,000 in table sales, countles VIP passes to meet a legend, the autographed jerseys, helmuts, pictures, etc. that are auctioned off. I am guessing that if the profits from this years triangle classic hit 6 figures it will be a miracle, (last year it was over $180K).

This year it will cost me more to obtain my season tickets, booster level, etc than if I just contined but I felt that this was an injustice to the people that still are working this event with no control over it. I am not trying to urge people to continue or pull out, just saying it isn't really the speaker that is the issue but the manner in which it was handled.

For all of you that are saying don't let this ruin your experience step right up, as of Friday there were roughly only 40 tables out of 100 spoken for. The majority of the cash in hand purchaser's have said this is BS.

I would ad that the GF Booster Club member that I have alwayts delt with in my sponsorship has been very dilegent in his efforts for me to continue. But I feel they are between a rock and a hard place. They are selling a politician at a sports orientated event.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:14 pm

getrdonecat wrote:They are selling a politician at a sports orientated event.
Actually, having the head of the NCAA speak at an NCAA team event is more on-point than having an old NFL player (especially one that knows nothing about MSU) speak at such an event.

But I totally understand how many people are more interested in seeing (and maybe taking a picture with) a celebrity than to hear somebody speak about matters relating to NCAA sports.

I remember seeing Terry Bradshaw (who was my hero at the time) speak at the national FFA convention in Kansas City, and being really excited about it (and that was with 20,000 other people in the arena). Had they had the Secretary of Agriculture speak instead, I wouldn't have been excited, even thought that would have been far more on-point for what we were there to learn about.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:16 pm

getrdonecat wrote:Well it was the garnish that ruined it for me. I called a member of the triangle classic to tell them thatI would not be buying a table/package. For me it is not only the speaker that was chosen by PF it is the pulling the rug out from underneath the Great Falls Boosters. They started this, they work their tails off to put it on, and they write a very sizable check every year to MSU, and now they are getting told we can do it better. There are lots of issues that prove why PF is not a proffesor in the college of business, but the point is why screw with a proven winner. If the banquet was held tomorrow there would be the loss of $48,000 in table sales, countles VIP passes to meet a legend, the autographed jerseys, helmuts, pictures, etc. that are auctioned off. I am guessing that if the profits from this years triangle classic hit 6 figures it will be a miracle, (last year it was over $180K).

This year it will cost me more to obtain my season tickets, booster level, etc than if I just contined but I felt that this was an injustice to the people that still are working this event with no control over it. I am not trying to urge people to continue or pull out, just saying it isn't really the speaker that is the issue but the manner in which it was handled.

For all of you that are saying don't let this ruin your experience step right up, as of Friday there were roughly only 40 tables out of 100 spoken for. The majority of the cash in hand purchaser's have said this is BS.

I would ad that the GF Booster Club member that I have alwayts delt with in my sponsorship has been very dilegent in his efforts for me to continue. But I feel they are between a rock and a hard place. They are selling a politician at a sports orientated event.
:lol:

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:30 pm

getrdonecat wrote:Well it was the garnish that ruined it for me. I called a member of the triangle classic to tell them thatI would not be buying a table/package. For me it is not only the speaker that was chosen by PF it is the pulling the rug out from underneath the Great Falls Boosters. They started this, they work their tails off to put it on, and they write a very sizable check every year to MSU, and now they are getting told we can do it better. There are lots of issues that prove why PF is not a proffesor in the college of business, but the point is why screw with a proven winner. If the banquet was held tomorrow there would be the loss of $48,000 in table sales, countles VIP passes to meet a legend, the autographed jerseys, helmuts, pictures, etc. that are auctioned off. I am guessing that if the profits from this years triangle classic hit 6 figures it will be a miracle, (last year it was over $180K).

:-({|=

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:48 pm

I don't know all of history of this event, but just as people are saying it was all PF with keeping Huse on, my bet is that MSU has always been heavily involved with this event. I just think that staying away for this reason seems pretty petty.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

getrdonecat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by getrdonecat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
getrdonecat wrote:They are selling a politician at a sports orientated event.
Actually, having the head of the NCAA speak at an NCAA team event is more on-point than having an old NFL player (especially one that knows nothing about MSU) speak at such an event.

But I totally understand how many people are more interested in seeing (and maybe taking a picture with) a celebrity than to hear somebody speak about matters relating to NCAA sports.

I remember seeing Terry Bradshaw (who was my hero at the time) speak at the national FFA convention in Kansas City, and being really excited about it (and that was with 20,000 other people in the arena). Had they had the Secretary of Agriculture speak instead, I wouldn't have been excited, even thought that would have been far more on-point for what we were there to learn about.
If I was going to attend to "learn" about Bobcat Football then Rob Ash would be the man for the job. If I was going to "learn" about football in general then there are countless other people that would be more suited to fit the bill. If I wanted to go "learn" about the shortcomings of the NCAA I surely wouldn't look at the president of the association.

I go to be ENTERTAINED, spend some $$ and have a good time with the Bobcat faithful. Sounds like the Halftime is going to be the place to do that on April 11th "joke".

Its a personal choice. I don't go to Walmart, Sam's Club or any other mega conclomerate, I don't shop online and I don't even have a facebook. All are personal choices. I also am not teling anyone else do anything. My post is to just say this is how the businesses in Great Falls are reacting. I hope that a bunch of people pick up the slack and fill it for MSU Athletics sake.