Triangle Classic speaker will be...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Triangle Classic speaker will be...

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:39 pm

getrdonecat wrote: My post is to just say this is how the businesses in Great Falls are reacting. I hope that a bunch of people pick up the slack and fill it for MSU Athletics sake.

I love the events in Great Falls, but if the businesses decide to not support the Triangle Classic because of a speaker, they might lose it all together.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

goldencat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by goldencat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:03 pm

If your all done supporting it in Great Falls we will take it in Billings!

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:18 pm

goldencat wrote:If your all done supporting it in Great Falls we will take it in Billings!
Agreed.

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:30 pm

ImagineSanta wrote:
goldencat wrote:If your all done supporting it in Great Falls we will take it in Billings!
Agreed.
Could Billings do another one? Its close enough for the team to travel there and back in the same day. I would definitely make the trip for that.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:51 pm

I'd like to remind people that we've had a couple of crappy speakers in previous years, namely Butkus and Musberger, and it didn't really seem to detract significantly from people's enjoyment of the event. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who didn't still have a great time those two years, despite being less than enthusiastic about the speakers. And in both cases, attendance at the banquet increased the following year.

And the decline in interest this year probably isn't solely due to MSU's choice of a speaker. The way the season ended last year is probably a contributing factor as well, at least to some small degree. We'd like to think that MSU doesn't have many bandwagon fans, but considering that our attendance has approximately tripled in the span of 12-15 years, that tells you that we do, and not just in GF, but all over the state.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:01 pm

getrdonecat wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
getrdonecat wrote:They are selling a politician at a sports orientated event.
Actually, having the head of the NCAA speak at an NCAA team event is more on-point than having an old NFL player (especially one that knows nothing about MSU) speak at such an event.

But I totally understand how many people are more interested in seeing (and maybe taking a picture with) a celebrity than to hear somebody speak about matters relating to NCAA sports.

I remember seeing Terry Bradshaw (who was my hero at the time) speak at the national FFA convention in Kansas City, and being really excited about it (and that was with 20,000 other people in the arena). Had they had the Secretary of Agriculture speak instead, I wouldn't have been excited, even thought that would have been far more on-point for what we were there to learn about.
If I was going to attend to "learn" about Bobcat Football then Rob Ash would be the man for the job. If I was going to "learn" about football in general then there are countless other people that would be more suited to fit the bill. If I wanted to go "learn" about the shortcomings of the NCAA I surely wouldn't look at the president of the association.

I go to be ENTERTAINED, spend some $$ and have a good time with the Bobcat faithful. Sounds like the Halftime is going to be the place to do that on April 11th "joke".

Its a personal choice. I don't go to Walmart, Sam's Club or any other mega conclomerate, I don't shop online and I don't even have a facebook. All are personal choices. I also am not teling anyone else do anything. My post is to just say this is how the businesses in Great Falls are reacting. I hope that a bunch of people pick up the slack and fill it for MSU Athletics sake.
I'm sorry, but that attitude just smacks of cutting your nose off to spite your face. I'm mad, I'm taking my toys and going home. I guess everyone has the choice to shop with your feet and voice your displeasure with your money, but I'll go on record to say it seems like a very petty issue to drop your support for an event over.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:17 pm

KittieKop wrote:
getrdonecat wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
Actually, having the head of the NCAA speak at an NCAA team event is more on-point than having an old NFL player (especially one that knows nothing about MSU) speak at such an event.

But I totally understand how many people are more interested in seeing (and maybe taking a picture with) a celebrity than to hear somebody speak about matters relating to NCAA sports.

I remember seeing Terry Bradshaw (who was my hero at the time) speak at the national FFA convention in Kansas City, and being really excited about it (and that was with 20,000 other people in the arena). Had they had the Secretary of Agriculture speak instead, I wouldn't have been excited, even thought that would have been far more on-point for what we were there to learn about.
If I was going to attend to "learn" about Bobcat Football then Rob Ash would be the man for the job. If I was going to "learn" about football in general then there are countless other people that would be more suited to fit the bill. If I wanted to go "learn" about the shortcomings of the NCAA I surely wouldn't look at the president of the association.

I go to be ENTERTAINED, spend some $$ and have a good time with the Bobcat faithful. Sounds like the Halftime is going to be the place to do that on April 11th "joke".

Its a personal choice. I don't go to Walmart, Sam's Club or any other mega conclomerate, I don't shop online and I don't even have a facebook. All are personal choices. I also am not teling anyone else do anything. My post is to just say this is how the businesses in Great Falls are reacting. I hope that a bunch of people pick up the slack and fill it for MSU Athletics sake.
I'm sorry, but that attitude just smacks of cutting your nose off to spite your face. I'm mad, I'm taking my toys and going home. I guess everyone has the choice to shop with your feet and voice your displeasure with your money, but I'll go on record to say it seems like a very petty issue to drop your support for an event over.
Thank you...I agree completely. Getrdonecat says that he goes to the TC "to be entertained, spend some $$, and have a good time with the Bobcat faithful", and I'll guarantee that he could still accomplish all those same goals this year, if he didn't let his panties get into such a twist about the speaker. Some years, the speaker has only talked for about 10-15 minutes, so that shouldn't ruin an event that goes on for 4-5 hours, for anyone.
Last edited by John K on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

getrdonecat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by getrdonecat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Tru that! Lol. Always finding the pot of gold. Maybe he can throw tie's at $500 a pop.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

getrdonecat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by getrdonecat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:24 pm

KittieKop wrote:
getrdonecat wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:

So grab your toys and some friends and come play. There is plenty of room.

getrdonecat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by getrdonecat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:33 pm

Grab some friends and your toys and come play!! There is plenty of room.

It's not just the speaker, there have been poor ones before and people were not happy, but the way it was handled. You can't slap someone in the face and then keep coming to the well asking for donations, $$$, and volunteering and support. I am not backing out of everything just what makes me uneasy. Everybody doesn't have to like everybody. Again feel free to jump right in, there are lots of spots open. See ya at the golf tournamnet in Billings.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:45 pm

Great Falls is a great town. When I was at school at MSU every time I'd turn around I'd meet a good person from Great Falls.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:10 am

getrdonecat wrote:Grab some friends and your toys and come play!! There is plenty of room.

It's not just the speaker, there have been poor ones before and people were not happy, but the way it was handled. You can't slap someone in the face and then keep coming to the well asking for donations, $$$, and volunteering and support. I am not backing out of everything just what makes me uneasy. Everybody doesn't have to like everybody. Again feel free to jump right in, there are lots of spots open. See ya at the golf tournamnet in Billings.
Ok getrdone, What do you hope to gain by your posts? Are you on a little power trip here? First you say you are disgusted by the choice of the speaker
and will not attend and then you say you hope somebody else picks up your slack? I'm glad I never had you for a teammate! The only people you are hurting
with your comments are the student athletes at MSU. As far as your broad based comments about the business people's attitude, I'd like to know some
names of these people as I am also a business owner in Great Falls and have been for most of my adult life. Oh, and unlike you, most everybody knows
who the Catdaddy is. I am an active member of the GF booster club and I contribute to the Classic by donating a new hunting tent every year,( uh oh, I
think I just gave it away). Cmon man!

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:23 am

catdaddy7 wrote:
getrdonecat wrote:Grab some friends and your toys and come play!! There is plenty of room.

Ok getrdone, What do you hope to gain by your posts? Are you on a little power trip here? First you say you are disgusted by the choice of the speaker
and will not attend and then you say you hope somebody else picks up your slack? I'm glad I never had you for a teammate! The only people you are hurting
with your comments are the student athletes at MSU. As far as your broad based comments about the business people's attitude, I'd like to know some
names of these people as I am also a business owner in Great Falls and have been for most of my adult life. Oh, and unlike you, most everybody knows
who the Catdaddy is. I am an active member of the GF booster club and I contribute to the Classic by donating a new hunting tent every year,( uh oh, I
Does this mean that you can make us panels for our Bobcat popup shelters?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:40 am

allcat wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:

Does this mean that you can make us panels for our Bobcat popup shelters?
I'd be happy to. Message me for more info.

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:22 am

This is one of the most fun parts of the entire football season. I seriously look forward to the Triangle Classic from the day the season ends.

As has been mentioned above, the speaker is only a small, small part of this event. The dinner is usually great. You get to mingle with all the coaches and players. You get to talk football with hundreds of other die-hard fans. You get to drink libations. It's a great, great night.

I'll never forget being in the corner of the Sip & Dip with Eric Dickerson and the Kirk clan, listening to Piano Pat. The look on Dickerson's face was absolutely priceless. He thought he'd landed on Mars. And he was having the best time!

Seriously though, don't let the speaker have any influence on if you come to this or not. It's a great event filled with so much fun. If you're on the fence, come, find me and I'll buy you a drink. I just have to avoid CatDaddy a little better this year so I don't need aspirin so badly during the scrimmage again like last year :lol:

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:47 am

Ha. Anybody remember the old celebrity golf tournament in Boz. Decorum and a hazy memory prevent me from telling any of the tales. 8) :wink: :lol: :suds:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:36 am

Hawks86 wrote:Ha. Anybody remember the old celebrity golf tournament in Boz. Decorum and a hazy memory prevent me from telling any of the tales. 8) :wink: :lol: :suds:

I remember it! I was a youngster though. Got George Bretts, Dick Butkus, Bobby Knight and Eval Kneivel autographs from it!

I think one year they made Mick Durham one of the celebrities :)

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:45 am

Cats15 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Ha. Anybody remember the old celebrity golf tournament in Boz. Decorum and a hazy memory prevent me from telling any of the tales. 8) :wink: :lol: :suds:

I remember it! I was a youngster though. Got George Bretts, Dick Butkus, Bobby Knight and Eval Kneivel autographs from it!

I think one year they made Mick Durham one of the celebrities :)
Speaking of Evel Kneivel, I got his autograph at the old Slacks Cycle sales, remember that place?, still have it.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:45 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:This is one of the most fun parts of the entire football season. I seriously look forward to the Triangle Classic from the day the season ends.

As has been mentioned above, the speaker is only a small, small part of this event. The dinner is usually great. You get to mingle with all the coaches and players. You get to talk football with hundreds of other die-hard fans. You get to drink libations. It's a great, great night.

I'll never forget being in the corner of the Sip & Dip with Eric Dickerson and the Kirk clan, listening to Piano Pat. The look on Dickerson's face was absolutely priceless. He thought he'd landed on Mars. And he was having the best time!

Seriously though, don't let the speaker have any influence on if you come to this or not. It's a great event filled with so much fun. If you're on the fence, come, find me and I'll buy you a drink. I just have to avoid CatDaddy a little better this year so I don't need aspirin so badly during the scrimmage again like last year :lol:
Great post Colter

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Please remind us how much it costs.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic