2014 verbal commits (20 prep/3 transfer/5 PWO)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2014 verbal commits (21 prep/2 transfer/1 PWO)

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:I contemplated going with Thompson as a Blue, but in my mind, blues were kids who got full rides to the Big Sky. Thompson got a partial to MSU and a walk-on spot at UM, which is exactly what we determined Red chips would be at the beginning of the season.

It turns out, as of right now, there's only four in-state kids who got full rides — Will Dissly, Grant Collins, Conner Sullivan, Will Weyer. The other MT prospects coming to the Big Sky - Trevin Thompson, Hunter Mahlum, Austin Oldenburger and Tucker Yates to MSU, Alex Thomas, Kole Schwartz, Carson King to Montana — are all partial kids.

Oldenburger, Thomas and King were the three blue chips who got Big Sky scholarships, but didn't get full rides.
Has a FCS kicker or punter ever gotten a full ride?

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:37 pm

UPDATED: Added Stewart to the by position list and moved lists to first post. Added Keeton to the star list.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:I contemplated going with Thompson as a Blue, but in my mind, blues were kids who got full rides to the Big Sky. Thompson got a partial to MSU and a walk-on spot at UM, which is exactly what we determined Red chips would be at the beginning of the season.

It turns out, as of right now, there's only four in-state kids who got full rides — Will Dissly, Grant Collins, Conner Sullivan, Will Weyer. The other MT prospects coming to the Big Sky - Trevin Thompson, Hunter Mahlum, Austin Oldenburger and Tucker Yates to MSU, Alex Thomas, Kole Schwartz, Carson King to Montana — are all partial kids.

Oldenburger, Thomas and King were the three blue chips who got Big Sky scholarships, but didn't get full rides.
Is Thomas a UM commit still? I read on here and egriz that UM lowered their offer and he's reconsidering.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:54 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:

Has a FCS kicker or punter ever gotten a full ride?
Cunningham and Perez were both full scholarship players.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:09 pm

Walk-on wrote:
DicTater wrote:I don't think Oldenburger losing 20 lbs and playing B ball is any big deal. He isn't going to play for at least 2 yrs. since all of the interior linemen who are starting will be juniors or sophs next yr. Personally, I like that the kid is working on his athleticism playing basketball. He'll have plenty of time to lift, bulk up and specialize.
Yes. This is way more important than 20 lbs. Twenty pounds lost in basketball season is a good thing. It certainly isn't muscle. I'd rather see the kid stay healthy and trim and let me lose the 20lbs. Staying fit and competetive throught the year is important. Mike Person was a twig when he was freshman. He still can't seem to break 300 lbs, but goes to show strength and athletiscm is more important. Mike was also a basketball player and track star.
It's not like the dude was 270 pounds of twinkies and big macs while playing football and just suddenly turned into an athlete when basketball season started. If an athlete in decent shape to begin with loses weight, the weight loss is never all fat. It might be mostly fat, but I'd rather he lost that fat (if that's what he lost, which I don't necessarily know) in a college conditioning program where the coaches are experts on maximizing strength gains and minimizing the muscle loss that comes with getting leaner.

And you're kidding yourself if you don't think the Cats would have benefited from Person being 20lbs heavier when he got to MSU. It would have been nice to have him bigger than 265 when he ended up starting as a freshman.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Thomas is sticking with um.

IYAACYAS

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Is BlacknBlue posting vicariously through Gtapp, I'm all confused?

If your left, you aren’t right.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Is BlacknBlue posting vicariously through Gtapp, I'm all confused?
No...the former is much more intelligent in regards to football than the latter.

He makes a lot of good points, I just don't think it's as big of a deal as he does.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:45 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Is BlacknBlue posting vicariously through Gtapp, I'm all confused?
No...the former is much more intelligent in regards to football than the latter.

He makes a lot of good points, I just don't think it's as big of a deal as he does.
I agree but I couldn't resist. I don't think it's a big deal either, he will have all summer to gain back the weight, plus a red-shirt year. I would never tell a kid to focus on only one sport, it isn't worth it. Hell Winston from FSU is gonna be in their starting baseball rotation this spring. If the Heisman winner can focus on more than just football I think most any other kids will be just fine if they do as well.

If your left, you aren’t right.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:07 pm

bobcat99 wrote:

This from the guy who was sure our O-line would all gain 45 lbs of pure muscle in one year!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:39 am

gtapp wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

This from the guy who was sure our O-line would all gain 45 lbs of pure muscle in one year!
I am pretty sure I've never said that (cause it sounds crazy), but carry on with that if you wish. You got a quote for that?

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2014 verbal commits (21 prep/2 transfer/2 PWO)

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:05 pm

UPDATED with Potts.

cadicat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cadicat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:31 pm

Is the new commit Potts 6'1" 185 or 5'11" 170? He's listed as both on his recruiting page. :-k

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:17 pm

cadicat wrote:Is the new commit Potts 6'1" 185 or 5'11" 170? He's listed as both on his recruiting page. :-k
He looks 5-11.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:39 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
cadicat wrote:Is the new commit Potts 6'1" 185 or 5'11" 170? He's listed as both on his recruiting page. :-k
He looks 5-11.
Idk, I thought he looked closer to the 6'1" compared to the other guys on the field. I hope the 40 time in that section is more accurate.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:04 pm

technoCat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
He looks 5-11.
Idk, I thought he looked closer to the 6'1" compared to the other guys on the field. I hope the 40 time in that section is more accurate.
I could tell he's 5-11, cuz when he got tackled that one time his cleats were right on the 39 yard line and his helmet was just and inch over the 41, which is why they probably say 6-1, but they didn't account for his cleats and helmet adding an inch on each end. :wink:

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:14 pm

Mac says we're still recruiting -
@JasonMcEndoo: We are coming down the stretch & fighting till the end! #nationalsigningday #GoCats

Sounds that way to me at least.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:19 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:Mac says we're still recruiting -
@JasonMcEndoo: We are coming down the stretch & fighting till the end! #nationalsigningday #GoCats

Sounds that way to me at least.
I'm sure there are other guys they're trying to get, especially those in-state guys that neither UM or MSU can give a lot of money to. Also, I think you have to continue to cultivate the relationships with the verbal commits until they sign on the dotted line. I also think there's an element of Mac trying to promote his live-tweet day on February 5!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:58 am

Sample just tweeted that Potts is headed to Fresno. Too bad, but it's part of the game.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:06 am

wbtfg wrote:Sample just tweeted that Potts is headed to Fresno. Too bad, but it's part of the game.
From Coulter's write-up, his quotes sounded like he wanted to go to Fresno the whole time, but didn't think they would offer so he went with MSU. I was thinking as I read it that I thought he seemed quite likely to make the move if Fresno ended up having money left for him.