ESPN - Joe O'Brien

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: ESPN - Joe O'Brien

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:49 am

Maybe some people need to rewatch the ESPN story again. This man had a horrible childhood and was exposed to drugs early in life. Yes, he came to Montana State and made some huge mistakes, but I know for a fact that Joe O'Brien is a man who deserves forgiveness. He has changed his life around, has an amazing family, and surrounds himself with great and an amazing friends. I personally don't know Joe, but I know several of the people that Joe and his wife are friends with. I don't care what school he coaches at, I would let him coach my kids any day of the week. I understand so many of you have never messed up, never made a mistake, never done something that hurt someone else, and you have never had to ask for forgiveness, but this man has, and he is asking. He could have been the guy that got arrested and stayed in jail only to come back out and keep doing the same things that put him there. This man changed, and he is doing life the correct way now. Time for people to look in the mirror. What if that was you, or your child? Wouldn't you want people to give you or your kids a second chance on life?

Punters are people too!!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:26 am

GoCats18 wrote:Maybe some people need to rewatch the ESPN story again. This man had a horrible childhood and was exposed to drugs early in life. Yes, he came to Montana State and made some huge mistakes, but I know for a fact that Joe O'Brien is a man who deserves forgiveness. He has changed his life around, has an amazing family, and surrounds himself with great and an amazing friends. I personally don't know Joe, but I know several of the people that Joe and his wife are friends with. I don't care what school he coaches at, I would let him coach my kids any day of the week. I understand so many of you have never messed up, never made a mistake, never done something that hurt someone else, and you have never had to ask for forgiveness, but this man has, and he is asking. He could have been the guy that got arrested and stayed in jail only to come back out and keep doing the same things that put him there. This man changed, and he is doing life the correct way now. Time for people to look in the mirror. What if that was you, or your child? Wouldn't you want people to give you or your kids a second chance on life?
And he got a second chance at Simms. What did he do with it? Yes it was a good season, but should we just hire him at MSU because he deserves another chance? If I would have been a parent at Simms, I would have been very nervous.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:36 am

Is this a South Park episode?

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:54 am

Every time I log on here and see this post I just want to respond and now can't hold back. I didn't know who Mr. O'Brien was about two years ago and ended up working with him on a job. The person who had hired him had said hey do you know who this guy is and I said nope and I didn't really care. If he can do the job and everyone is happy then great. I have over the past two years done allot of work with him and have never had a complaint. I even called him to look at a job the day after his kid was born and he was willing to come and look, but was so excited about his kid that I told him not to worry about it. The guy has a skeleton in his closet, but don't we all. Maybe some have ones that in others peoples minds are just as bad. I am sure some of you who are bashing him have never met him or never have really talked to someone who knows him. As for him being cocky or arrogant well in his profession most coaches do have a little edge to them and for some that's what inspires them and their players. Would you rather have a coach sit on his ass and say nothing. I had one of those in high school and it was pathetic. Kramer got a second chance and why shouldn't Mr. O'Brien. If anyone who has shown they do its him. He has turned his life around and ran a successful business in Great Falls and now wants to allow himself to teach others what he has learned. I think CMR already may have someone in mind, but he wouldn't be a bad assistant and let him work his way up the chain. I would definitely allow him to coach my kid.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:54 am

allcat wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Maybe some people need to rewatch the ESPN story again. This man had a horrible childhood and was exposed to drugs early in life. Yes, he came to Montana State and made some huge mistakes, but I know for a fact that Joe O'Brien is a man who deserves forgiveness. He has changed his life around, has an amazing family, and surrounds himself with great and an amazing friends. I personally don't know Joe, but I know several of the people that Joe and his wife are friends with. I don't care what school he coaches at, I would let him coach my kids any day of the week. I understand so many of you have never messed up, never made a mistake, never done something that hurt someone else, and you have never had to ask for forgiveness, but this man has, and he is asking. He could have been the guy that got arrested and stayed in jail only to come back out and keep doing the same things that put him there. This man changed, and he is doing life the correct way now. Time for people to look in the mirror. What if that was you, or your child? Wouldn't you want people to give you or your kids a second chance on life?
And he got a second chance at Simms. What did he do with it? Yes it was a good season, but should we just hire him at MSU because he deserves another chance? If I would have been a parent at Simms, I would have been very nervous.

I have to agree with GoCats18, he has changed his life, he faced the demons and he won. If I had kids at Simms, I wouldn't question Joe O'Brien, I would rather have my kids listen to him, 1st as a person who has done wrong, but has changed, teaching them to follow the right path, 2nd as a coach, he knows football, there is no question about that. Talk about a motivating personality, he could bring out the best in any player. And yes, I have meet Joe, while he was coaching here.

What has a larger impact, TV ads, books, classes, etc., for what not to do, or have a first hand example, his story will have more impact than anything else, I can guarantee that deters more kids from drugs than anything else. Who know it might teach kids to be more proactive to those who might go down the wrong path.

His motivation now and life experience's will be a huge asset for any school, he can lead by example and teach these kids what not to do, show them how it affected not only his life but his family and friends. He can teach them to be great football players and even better people.

The coach's in my life where a huge influence on me.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:00 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:Is this a South Park episode?
I KNOW I would not let Kenny coach my kids. (I've never seen South Park, I just heard they kill Kenny every episode, so he is the only character that I know of)

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

bobcatmaniac
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcatmaniac » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 am

Sounds like some of you would build a shrine to him. Wow. Wherever he is allowed to coach, there could be that one kid that finds out about his past and how he apparently paid his dues and has changed. This same kid could think "well he was able to change, maybe if I tried/sold drugs just this once I will be able to come out of it too and still be successful" I say no, Joe, you made your bed, unfortunately still have to sleep in it. At least you came out alive.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:04 am

[quote="GoCats18"]Maybe some people need to rewatch the ESPN story again. This man had a horrible childhood and was exposed to drugs early in life. Yes, he came to Montana State and made some huge mistakes, but I know for a fact that Joe O'Brien is a man who deserves forgiveness. He has changed his life around, has an amazing family, and surrounds himself with great and an amazing friends. I personally don't know Joe, but I know several of the people that Joe and his wife are friends with. I don't care what school he coaches at, I would let him coach my kids any day of the week. I understand so many of you have never messed up, never made a mistake, never done something that hurt someone else, and you have never had to ask for forgiveness, but this man has, and he is asking. He could have been the guy that got arrested and stayed in jail only to come back out and keep doing the same things that put him there. This man changed, and he is doing life the correct way now. Time for people to look in the mirror. What if that was you, or your child? Wouldn't you want people to give you or your kids a second chance on life?[/quote]

How bout the flipside of that- What if it was your child that got addicted to Meth through someone like O'Brian. Would you still feel he deserves a 2nd chance?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:17 am

I would give him a 2nd chance. I would know that if my kid is buying drugs from this man, that I failed as a parent. Listen, I am not saying that him selling drugs is a good thing, but I know that sometimes people have to make a choice after something bad happens. He could have been like Ryan Leaf and gone back to his old ways, or he could change his life and help others to learn from the mistakes he made and to show kids what happens when you make poor choices. I just think that people need to realize that you can do wrong, and make right.

Punters are people too!!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:29 am

GoCats18 wrote:I would give him a 2nd chance. I would know that if my kid is buying drugs from this man, that I failed as a parent. Listen, I am not saying that him selling drugs is a good thing, but I know that sometimes people have to make a choice after something bad happens. He could have been like Ryan Leaf and gone back to his old ways, or he could change his life and help others to learn from the mistakes he made and to show kids what happens when you make poor choices. I just think that people need to realize that you can do wrong, and make right.
You do know this thread was started way last fall and that O'Brien had a second chance, right?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

basincat

Post by basincat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:41 am

bobcatmaniac wrote:Sounds like some of you would build a shrine to him. Wow. Wherever he is allowed to coach, there could be that one kid that finds out about his past and how he apparently paid his dues and has changed. This same kid could think "well he was able to change, maybe if I tried/sold drugs just this once I will be able to come out of it too and still be successful" I say no, Joe, you made your bed, unfortunately still have to sleep in it. At least you came out alive.
That's the dumbest thing I've seen on here. He can explain to them how that will ruin their lives and scare the ****** out of them. There are plenty of people kids are going to meet along the way that could lead them to making dumb decisions including friends. A man who has been there and can show you first hand how it screws your life up is not one.
mslacatfan wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Maybe some people need to rewatch the ESPN story again. This man had a horrible childhood and was exposed to drugs early in life. Yes, he came to Montana State and made some huge mistakes, but I know for a fact that Joe O'Brien is a man who deserves forgiveness. He has changed his life around, has an amazing family, and surrounds himself with great and an amazing friends. I personally don't know Joe, but I know several of the people that Joe and his wife are friends with. I don't care what school he coaches at, I would let him coach my kids any day of the week. I understand so many of you have never messed up, never made a mistake, never done something that hurt someone else, and you have never had to ask for forgiveness, but this man has, and he is asking. He could have been the guy that got arrested and stayed in jail only to come back out and keep doing the same things that put him there. This man changed, and he is doing life the correct way now. Time for people to look in the mirror. What if that was you, or your child? Wouldn't you want people to give you or your kids a second chance on life?[/quote]

You do know this thread was started way last fall and that O'Brien had a second chance, right?
[/quote][/quote]

And as I said earlier, Simms is not the right fit for a serious coach who is used to coaching college or bigger schools. The school doesn't have the right mentality. They're used to losing. They want the nice guy, and it's all for fun. They don't want the serious coach who disciplines and yells. And being a little arrogant and having a foul mouth? Come on. That is about standard.
Last edited by basincat on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:42 am

Rich K wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:I would give him a 2nd chance. I would know that if my kid is buying drugs from this man, that I failed as a parent. Listen, I am not saying that him selling drugs is a good thing, but I know that sometimes people have to make a choice after something bad happens. He could have been like Ryan Leaf and gone back to his old ways, or he could change his life and help others to learn from the mistakes he made and to show kids what happens when you make poor choices. I just think that people need to realize that you can do wrong, and make right.
But he didn't mess up that 2nd chance with criminal activity did he?

basincat

Post by basincat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:46 am

mslacatfan wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Maybe some people need to rewatch the ESPN story again. This man had a horrible childhood and was exposed to drugs early in life. Yes, he came to Montana State and made some huge mistakes, but I know for a fact that Joe O'Brien is a man who deserves forgiveness. He has changed his life around, has an amazing family, and surrounds himself with great and an amazing friends. I personally don't know Joe, but I know several of the people that Joe and his wife are friends with. I don't care what school he coaches at, I would let him coach my kids any day of the week. I understand so many of you have never messed up, never made a mistake, never done something that hurt someone else, and you have never had to ask for forgiveness, but this man has, and he is asking. He could have been the guy that got arrested and stayed in jail only to come back out and keep doing the same things that put him there. This man changed, and he is doing life the correct way now. Time for people to look in the mirror. What if that was you, or your child? Wouldn't you want people to give you or your kids a second chance on life?[/quote]

How bout the flipside of that- What if it was your child that got addicted to Meth through someone like O'Brian. Would you still feel he deserves a 2nd chance?
People make their own decisions. If their kid was out buying meth, that means you had already F'ed up as a parent. So don't be blaming someone else. If they didn't get it from him, they would have someone else. That's a serious problem these days. Everyone thinks they have to blame someone else for anything that goes wrong.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:22 am

basincat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

People make their own decisions. If their kid was out buying meth, that means you had already F'ed up as a parent. So don't be blaming someone else. If they didn't get it from him, they would have someone else. That's a serious problem these days. Everyone thinks they have to blame someone else for anything that goes wrong.
I could not agree more that the parent would be as much at fault as anyone. But, it is guys like Obrien that helped make MT the meth capital of the world.... Had he not made that available, then who knows, maybe a handful of kids never would have been exposed to it.

I understand and agree with what you are saying though.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:26 am

basincat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I completely agree with you on that aspect of this issue. It would be like blaming someone's alcoholism on the companies that produce and sell alcohol, and I don't see anyone on this board saying that. Regardless of how you feel about O'Brien, it's ridiculous to blame him for anyone's kid becoming addicted to meth.

I was fully in favor of him being hired at Simms, as I believed that he had turned his life around and therefore deserved a 2nd chance. I was also very surprised to hear that he resigned after just one season, but I'd be pretty careful about taking whatever we've heard about the reasons behind that at face value. One poster mentioned that he'd heard rumors of him returning to his old ways, but I'd also be very reluctant to believe that (or to say it on this board) without having some very solid information that it was really true. I know that many Simms area residents were adamantly opposed to his hiring, and it's not hard to imagine that one or more of them could have started such a rumor with little or no actual basis for it..."Joe went to the bathroom and stayed in there for an unusually long time...I bet he was doing meth in there".

For the time being, I 'm withholding judgement about him and the situation in Simms, unless/until more facts (as opposed to unfounded rumors) come out about it. Regardless, I'd bet that his coaching career is probably over. I doubt that any other high school or college will be willing to give him another chance, with his tenure having ended so abruptly at Simms, regardless of the reasons.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:52 am

John K wrote:
basincat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I completely agree with you on that aspect of this issue. It would be like blaming someone's alcoholism on the companies that produce and sell alcohol, and I don't see anyone on this board saying that. Regardless of how you feel about O'Brien, it's ridiculous to blame him for anyone's kid becoming addicted to meth.

I was fully in favor of him being hired at Simms, as I believed that he had turned his life around and therefore deserved a 2nd chance. I was also very surprised to hear that he resigned after just one season, but I'd be pretty careful about taking whatever we've heard about the reasons behind that at face value. One poster mentioned that he'd heard rumors of him returning to his old ways, but I'd also be very reluctant to believe that (or to say it on this board) without having some very solid information that it was really true. I know that many Simms area residents were adamantly opposed to his hiring, and it's not hard to imagine that one or more of them could have started such a rumor with little or no actual basis for it..."Joe went to the bathroom and stayed in there for an unusually long time...I bet he was doing meth in there".

For the time being, I 'm withholding judgement about him and the situation in Simms, unless/until more facts (as opposed to unfounded rumors) come out about it. Regardless, I'd bet that his coaching career is probably over. I doubt that any other high school or college will be willing to give him another chance, with his tenure having ended so abruptly at Simms, regardless of the reasons.

Just a guess as to why he quite, is all the talking/speculation, such as this forum, the town of Simms and the State of Montana. I can't imagine the enormous amount of pressure he has been under the last year, to prove people wrong.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:36 pm

basincat wrote:
bobcatmaniac wrote:Sounds like some of you would build a shrine to him. Wow. Wherever he is allowed to coach, there could be that one kid that finds out about his past and how he apparently paid his dues and has changed. This same kid could think "well he was able to change, maybe if I tried/sold drugs just this once I will be able to come out of it too and still be successful" I say no, Joe, you made your bed, unfortunately still have to sleep in it. At least you came out alive.
That's the dumbest thing I've seen on here. He can explain to them how that will ruin their lives and scare the ****** out of them. There are plenty of people kids are going to meet along the way that could lead them to making dumb decisions including friends. A man who has been there and can show you first hand how it screws your life up is not one.
mslacatfan wrote:

[/quote]

And as I said earlier, Simms is not the right fit for a serious coach who is used to coaching college or bigger schools. The school doesn't have the right mentality. They're used to losing. They want the nice guy, and it's all for fun. They don't want the serious coach who disciplines and yells. And being a little arrogant and having a foul mouth? Come on. That is about standard.[/quote]

I'll call BS on that one!

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

catdaddy7

Post by catdaddy7 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:34 pm

The reason he retired as coach of Simms is because of a change in local politics. Small communities are a tough
row to hoe for an "outsider" anyways. If you're not one of the "good old boys" you're instantly under a microscope.

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

grizatwork
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizatwork » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:46 pm

catdaddy7 wrote:The reason he retired as coach of Simms is because of a change in local politics. Small communities are a tough
row to hoe for an "outsider" anyways. If you're not one of the "good old boys" you're instantly under a microscope.
Not to mention the horrible dysfunction that is Sun River Valley. The valley is spread out with competing interests from Vaughn to Simms and beyond with Fort Shaw and Sun River in between. There have been very divisive politics in that area for decades with no sense of community between them all.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:06 pm

High school sports have at least some politics at nearly every level. If Joe couldn't hack it I guess it's best that he finds that out sooner rather than later.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act