Need help w/ GF Tribune

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Need help w/ GF Tribune

Post by John K » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:19 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:I'll go to bat for the Trib here....

For 28 years, George Geise covered the Griz and Scott Mansch covered the Cats. When George retired and Curt (can't remember his last name) passed away, they were only able to replace one position. Then, when Mike Towne retired, they replaced him with a newbie as well.

Scott covered the Cats for the first part of the season this season, but they stopped sending a shooter. That's one thing people forget or fail to understand....the main package of any section the newspaper is 100 percent predicated on art. If you don't have art, you can't centerpiece a story. Scott did a bang up job covering the Bobcats, but it got to the point where he was driving to Bozeman Saturday morning, covering the game, then racing back go Great Falls, writing and having to put the whole section together. It got the point where it wasn't fun for him anymore. Jesse Geleynse was hired in part to cover Montana so that's what he does. He goes to each home game in Missoula. The Trib now uses a stringer/AP guy for their Bobcat coverage.

Scott covered MSU from 1983 to midway through this season. It's sad he can't do it anymore. But that's the way newspapers are now. I hate it.
Mansch has still been writing the game day previews for Saturday's paper, but not the actual game stories for the Sunday paper.

rtb

Need help w/ GF Tribune

Post by rtb » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:22 pm

They are going to cover what they think the majority of their readers want. Newspapers are a dying business as we've seen they don't have the bandwidth to cover everything. If you don't like what they cover stop buying their product and they will either change to try to save you or they will slowly disappear.

I think soon we will use sites like this one more and more for news. Who knows maybe someday BobcatNation will be paying the journalist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:53 pm

The coverage should pick up as the Bison Football season is over.

IYAACYAS

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:57 pm

I can't drop em as they are the ONLY paper that consistently covers Northern and Eastern Montana HS sports, but I do miss the days of Geise on one side and Mansch on the other. Scott is the sports editor now, correct? he's just spread too thin and they can't approd a beat writer any more.

Sad

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:27 pm

I know Scott personally, and he is a wonderful guy, so my comments are not directed at him.

I am glad someone brought this up. I saw the sports page yesterday and was pretty much shocked. I get the photo art that Colter alluded to, but couldn't the trib put in a stock or an AP photo for the cats? I mean COME ON MAN, basically the trib highlights a bottom dweller big sky game and then sensationalizes it with a photo and caption as if beating ISU was some Herculean feat. At the same time the #4 team who just routed the same team that beat the vaunted grizzlies get a small little picture. At least be competent to highlight the bigger matchup (I don't care if that is cat or griz, but know what game holds more weight).

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Interesting thread because I was reading the Trib Saturday morning before we left for Bozeman, and I noticed and pointed out to my buddy that the Bobcat write up headline was a larger font than the Griz one!! In fact I pointed it out to my buddy and jokingly said... "THIS ... Is how I know we''ve surpassed them.". :D

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

MashTun
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MashTun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:04 pm

CPACAT wrote:Noticed the same thing. I think part of the problem is that George and MIke Towne retired and were replace by two young guys. If you really want to see a train wreck, Mansch and the two newbies do a High School and a college video post> If you watch that you will under stand that it is most likely incompetence rather than an intentional slight.
I watched one of those video posts, and yes it's a trainwreck.

Thanks Colter for the explanation. The difference in coverage this year has been quite noticeable.

I about went ballistic when I read this weeks write ups. We stomp the team the fiz LOST to, and the Cats aren't the top story. Sad.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:14 pm

Could it be that since UM only has two more games left they saw this as an opportunity to get them some ink?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:26 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Could it be that since UM only has two more games left they saw this as an opportunity to get them some ink?
:lol: :lol:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:14 pm

I think it's just because they are more interesting.

Our story is simple....Bobcats dominate team from across the border.

Their story is like a soap opera......Griz finally blow out BSC opponent despite Monte being accused of raping young cub. Coach said he should have suspended him two weeks ago when he found Monte laying on floor of locker room covered in cocaine and old newspaper articles about Dickenson. Despite these obvious distractions, team able to blow out the worst football team in Idaho(and that is saying a lot) In other news, team has purchased new pumpkin puke jerseys for their Nov. 17 matchup with that lowly team from Bozeman. In addition to the new jerseys EVERY Griz player plus each of their relatives(down to their 3rd cousins) will burst from a Griz helmet before the game with an American flag. If that doesn't make you think their special, how about the fact that the flags were all knitted in the local prison by former Griz players vacationing there.

Seriously though, I think the Trib has always been biased towards the Griz. They can have the Trib and we'll take the playoffs.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:51 pm

utucats wrote:I think it's just because they are more interesting.

Our story is simple....Bobcats dominate team from across the border.

Their story is like a soap opera......Griz finally blow out BSC opponent despite Monte being accused of raping young cub. Coach said he should have suspended him two weeks ago when he found Monte laying on floor of locker room covered in cocaine and old newspaper articles about Dickenson. Despite these obvious distractions, team able to blow out the worst football team in Idaho(and that is saying a lot) In other news, team has purchased new pumpkin puke jerseys for their Nov. 17 matchup with that lowly team from Bozeman. In addition to the new jerseys EVERY Griz player plus each of their relatives(down to their 3rd cousins) will burst from a Griz helmet before the game with an American flag. If that doesn't make you think their special, how about the fact that the flags were all knitted in the local prison by former Griz players vacationing there.

Seriously though, I think the Trib has always been biased towards the Griz. They can have the Trib and we'll take the playoffs.
:lol: :lol: Yeah, but I always like to point out to my griz "friends" that they always carry a Blue and Gold flag onto the field too. :lol:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ButteCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ButteCat » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:31 am

You guys think the Great Falls Tribune is bad, try living in Butte and having to put up with The Montana sub-Standard.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:15 am

ButteCat wrote:You guys think the Great Falls Tribune is bad, try living in Butte and having to put up with The Montana sub-Standard.
You're right about that. My former in-laws live in Deer Lodge, so I used to read the Standard whenever we visited them, and that paper is a waste of newsprint. It actually reminds more of one of those small town weekly papers, rather than a "real" newspaper.

MashTun
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MashTun » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:31 pm

cats2506 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Could it be that since UM only has two more games left they saw this as an opportunity to get them some ink?
:lol: :lol:
Hadn't thought of that one Tom.....The silence will be golden! =D^

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

mflats
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mflats » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Silence :lol:

The grizz will be home and these papers will still have grizz football coverage.

The IR will have griz write ups, all the way to Frisco weekend BANK ON IT :x

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:48 pm

dakota wrote:Silence :lol:

The grizz will be home and these papers will still have grizz football coverage.

Do you mean in the sports section...or the police blotter?

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:11 pm

John K wrote:
dakota wrote:Silence :lol:

Do you mean in the sports section...or the police blotter?
They'll be in the police reports year-round. Buncha criminals they got up there.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

mflats
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mflats » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:03 pm

All of above, today the IR griz story was on a secondary player, from Helena,

because Daly, is really not a player that does anything to to be in print #-o

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

dakota wrote:All of above, today the IR griz story was on a secondary player, from Helena,

Or senior O-line leaders Sampson and Foster. MSU has three starters from Helena, but they'll probably never get a mention in the IR.

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:54 pm

John K wrote:
dakota wrote:All of above, today the IR griz story was on a secondary player, from Helena,

Or senior O-line leaders Sampson and Foster. MSU has three starters from Helena, but they'll probably never get a mention in the IR.
That's a real shame as many fans on both sides eagerly follow the Montana kids.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.