Need help w/ GF Tribune

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

notso
BobcatNation Redshirt

Need help w/ GF Tribune

Post by notso » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Can you guys talk me back from the ledge here..... anyone in Great Falls please help. The sports section Sun. had a picture that took up 2/3 of the front page say how the griz caged the Bangles. We get a maybe 1.5 x 1.5 inch picture and small blurb. What the hell is wrong with them. I guess I get what I wished for griz George retires and the Trib gets worse. I need help letting this go...Thanks for letting me vent.

Kevin Good - dirt farmer and Cat fan

Cat Fam
BobcatNation Redshirt

Need help w/ GF Tribune

Post by Cat Fam » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:17 pm

That's why we don't read the trib! The only Cat stuff they post is from other writers on AP and weeks later!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Need help w/ GF Tribune

Post by wbtfg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:19 pm

notso wrote:Can you guys talk me back from the ledge here..... anyone in Great Falls please help. The sports section Sun. had a picture that took up 2/3 of the front page say how the griz caged the Bangles. We get a maybe 1.5 x 1.5 inch picture and small blurb. What the hell is wrong with them. I guess I get what I wished for griz George retires and the Trib gets worse. I need help letting this go...Thanks for letting me vent.
Email scott mansch. Hes a good guy. He'll get back to you.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:21 pm

I blame it on the Great Falls Tailgate, if they made one of those writers attend their tailgate they would have to write good things (ps) let him in for free.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Sometimes I think the Missoulian does a better job covering the Cats than the Tribune does. Canceled my subscription a long time ago.

Punters are people too!!

FatCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by FatCat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:29 pm

I read the GF Trib sports section every Sunday and immediately want to start drinking. Every time it is Griz headliner and the Cats get the second half of the page and the small writeup. I have come to the conclusion that the reporters must be all journalism grads from dUMb. I even wrote a letter to the editor about it. Made me feel better but that was about it.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Like I said, mansch is a good guy and will likely resond to polite questions/complaints.

notso
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by notso » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:38 pm

I have talked to Scott face to face and he defends how the paper covers the teams.... I know I can cancel but it is just a shame.... Guess I can put the sports section in the bottom of the cat box.

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:39 pm

Noticed the same thing. I think part of the problem is that George and MIke Towne retired and were replace by two young guys. If you really want to see a train wreck, Mansch and the two newbies do a High School and a college video post> If you watch that you will under stand that it is most likely incompetence rather than an intentional slight.

IYAACYAS

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:53 pm

I'll go to bat for the Trib here....

For 28 years, George Geise covered the Griz and Scott Mansch covered the Cats. When George retired and Curt (can't remember his last name) passed away, they were only able to replace one position. Then, when Mike Towne retired, they replaced him with a newbie as well.

Scott covered the Cats for the first part of the season this season, but they stopped sending a shooter. That's one thing people forget or fail to understand....the main package of any section the newspaper is 100 percent predicated on art. If you don't have art, you can't centerpiece a story. Scott did a bang up job covering the Bobcats, but it got to the point where he was driving to Bozeman Saturday morning, covering the game, then racing back go Great Falls, writing and having to put the whole section together. It got the point where it wasn't fun for him anymore. Jesse Geleynse was hired in part to cover Montana so that's what he does. He goes to each home game in Missoula. The Trib now uses a stringer/AP guy for their Bobcat coverage.

Scott covered MSU from 1983 to midway through this season. It's sad he can't do it anymore. But that's the way newspapers are now. I hate it.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Why doesn't Mansch cover the home games himself anymore? Isn't that new just this season, that they're picking up the stories elsewhere, rather than Mansch covering them? Actually, the entire Trib sports section has really declined recently. They don't even include the boxscores with the Bobcat game stories sometimes, including this last game. I used to think it was easily the best sports section of any paper in Montana, and was actually fairly balanced with regard to the Cats and Griz, but the two new guys are terrible, especially Mediate. Apparently Colter also had an offer from the Trib last year, but ended up choosing the Chronicle job (which is too bad for Trib readers) and the Trib then ended up hiring Geleynse instead. He replaced Geise as the Griz beat writer, but he doesn't cover their games personally anymore either. Their game preview stories on Saturday are not nearly as good as they used to be either. I agree that if/when Mansch is gone, their sports section will be atrocious.

notso
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by notso » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks Colter for the info.... Did not know that about Scott.... Still sucks

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:18 pm

The only time I read the Tribune is for the Obits.....But I have also noticed that the coverage for the Cats has gone downhill. Used to be a good paper....

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:19 pm

It still says something about the Trib priorities, they hire a guy to cover the gritz and buy the Cat story second hand.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:I'll go to bat for the Trib here....

For 28 years, George Geise covered the Griz and Scott Mansch covered the Cats. When George retired and Curt (can't remember his last name) passed away, they were only able to replace one position. Then, when Mike Towne retired, they replaced him with a newbie as well.

Scott covered the Cats for the first part of the season this season, but they stopped sending a shooter. That's one thing people forget or fail to understand....the main package of any section the newspaper is 100 percent predicated on art. If you don't have art, you can't centerpiece a story. Scott did a bang up job covering the Bobcats, but it got to the point where he was driving to Bozeman Saturday morning, covering the game, then racing back go Great Falls, writing and having to put the whole section together. It got the point where it wasn't fun for him anymore. Jesse Geleynse was hired in part to cover Montana so that's what he does. He goes to each home game in Missoula. The Trib now uses a stringer/AP guy for their Bobcat coverage.

Scott covered MSU from 1983 to midway through this season. It's sad he can't do it anymore. But that's the way newspapers are now. I hate it.
Sorry Colter...I posted my comments before reading your post, which answered some of my questions. Although I don't believe that Geleynse is covering the Griz games himself this season. I know that he didn't write the story for this last game, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't written any of them this fall. I just don't like the sports section in general as well as I used to. As an example, and this may seem trivial but it bugs me, they no longer group the high school scores/stories by classification anymore...they're all just jumbled together. And the last few weeks, they haven't even published a full listing of all the Friday high school scores in Saturdays paper. I could provide plenty of other examples of how things have declined.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:26 pm

allcat wrote:It still says something about the Trib priorities, they hire a guy to cover the gritz and buy the Cat story second hand.
That's an excellent point. The media in Montana used to say that they were justified in giving UM better coverage, because they were more successful and had a much larger following statewide. While that was true at one time, that dog doesn't really hunt anymore.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:00 pm

I'll also add that last year the Trib ran a brief story every week about Travis Lulay and the BC Lions games, and there's been nothing this year. They also no longer provide any coverage of either MSU's and UM's volleyball teams. Like I said before, I could go on and on. Some of these things probably don't seem all that important to most readers, but when you combine them all together, it results in a substantially lesser quality product.

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Yeah, I've been a reader and advertiser with the trib for some 30 years. Here's what I've seen in that time.
As an advertiser, 30 years ago my ad exec wore a coat and tie and had a back round in marketing and was
knowledgeable about the local market. Now, I swear they hire the people who aren't smart enough to work
at NEW! My guess would be they don't pay very well and most of the "management" comes from out of state.
Gannett is a large publisher and I'm sure Great Falls is the little piggy that sucks hind tit. I still read it every
morning but I get my sports info from other sources. Too bad they can't do a deal with Colter but I doubt
they're smart enough to do that. Don't expect this to change and get better only worse as they haven't kept
pace with the internet market. The trib charges you to see their full web page, KRTV's is free so it doesn't
take a genius to figure where people in GF look for local news. #-o

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:23 pm

I pretty much only read the Insufficient Record for the sports and then only on Sundays. To their credit, the Saints are getting a lot of coverage now, with the Bobcats and gritz fairly minimal. This has improved lately because the gritz used to get all of that coverage.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:33 pm

So maybe someone needs to point out that MSU goes to Great Falls and plays a spring game there. shouldnt that make a difference on how the Cats are protrayed in that market?

On a side note. Maybe Colter can look into covering the Tribs Bobcat section. Talk to the Chronicle and mention that it is a different market and thus not really a competitor. Only cover the Cats for them and pick up some spare change in your pocket. Just a thought