Need help w/ GF Tribune

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Need help w/ GF Tribune

Post by allcat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:44 am

I don't have a problem with anything that you said, But I also think that the Chronicle was very heavy handed. I think that Colter's comments were harsh, he has some things to learn. I think that an organization like the Chronicle would have been better off, trying to take this private. Colter is a very good writer and that is all that a newspaper has, it the writer's. They have lost an asset. And I do think that the Media tries to have it both ways on freedom of speech. Colter will recover from this. The Chronicle is in a spiral, which I do not see it recovering from.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:57 am

allcat wrote:I don't have a problem with anything that you said, But I also think that the Chronicle was very heavy handed. I think that Colter's comments were harsh, he has some things to learn. I think that an organization like the Chronicle would have been better off, trying to take this private. Colter is a very good writer and that is all that a newspaper has, it the writer's. They have lost an asset. And I do think that the Media tries to have it both ways on freedom of speech. Colter will recover from this. The Chronicle is in a spiral, which I do not see it recovering from.
This is not a "free speech" issue. It just isn't.

Newspapers are "free" to be punished by anyone at any time for anything they publish (and they routinely are). Likewise, they are free to punish their employees for saying things that bring harm to their company.

griztasteslikechicken
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by griztasteslikechicken » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:57 am

Cats15 wrote:
griztasteslikechicken wrote:I just emailed the Chronicle and expressed my displeasure. I recommend we ALL do....what a joke!
what's the email address?
sports@dailychronicle.com

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:58 am

allcat wrote:I don't have a problem with anything that you said, But I also think that the Chronicle was very heavy handed. I think that Colter's comments were harsh, he has some things to learn. I think that an organization like the Chronicle would have been better off, trying to take this private. Colter is a very good writer and that is all that a newspaper has, it the writer's. They have lost an asset. And I do think that the Media tries to have it both ways on freedom of speech. Colter will recover from this. The Chronicle is in a spiral, which I do not see it recovering from.
The sad truth is that today, most corporations think of the vast majority of their employees as nothing more than easily replaceable parts. No matter how good a job a person may be doing, they believe they can find someone else who is just as good, and preferably at a lower price. Unfortunately in the current economic climate, with the supply of potential employees being vastly greater than the demand in most industries, it's also a sad truth that they're often right.

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:03 pm

kmax wrote:
CPACAT wrote:
kmax wrote:
CPACAT wrote:
kmax wrote:Sorry to hear Colter, but I'm sure you knew the risks when you said the things you did and felt you needed to take a stand regardless.

And to those of you claiming the Chronicle doesn't believe in free speech, please. Colter was very free to say what he did, just as the Chronicle was free to fire him over publicly making comments that exposed private company information and practices. Just because you are free to say something, does not mean you are free of the consequences that may accompany what you have to say.

I have read his comments and don't see much about Chronicle specific information and practices, other than they have fewer staff working longer hours. I don't think that is news to anyone. I thought his comments were rather general about the industry. Seems like a poor decision by the Chronicle but then again we don't have all of the information that went into their decision. There may be other factors that we will never know about, but if it was just because of the posts on this board then it does not appear to be a wise decision.
He has since edited the comment that I would guess got him in the most trouble. I'm not gonna point it out but if you really want you can find it. It had some choice language for the corporate heads as well as some business details that I would assume they didn't really care for getting thrown out in a public rant on a random message board. I've seen many people fired for much less in the corporate world. I was actually surprised when I read it to be honest, which is why I say that I'm fairly certain Colter knew what he wanted to accomplish and knew the risks when he did it.

I see said the blind man to his deaf dog.
:shrug: Not sure what I said wrong there...
You did not say anything wrong. You pointed out to me to see where I did not have the all of the information from his original post.
That saying is something I say when someone points out something obvious to me or something I missed.

IYAACYAS

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:08 pm

John K wrote:
The sad truth is that today, most corporations think of the vast majority of their employees as nothing more than easily replaceable parts. No matter how good a job a person may be doing, they believe they can find someone else who is just as good, and preferably at a lower price. Unfortunately in the current economic climate, with the supply of potential employees being vastly greater than the demand in most industries, it's also a sad truth that they're often right.

I am not sure I agree with you on corporations thinking employees that are eaily replaceable. Colter should have been put on some type of probation in my mind if in fact the comments on here are what got him fired. But if a business thinks that employees are easy to find they must not be aware of whats going on. If you drive down almost any street you can find a lot of businesses that are looking for work. The problem is there are too many people that think they are too good for certain jobs and would rather not work at all and colect from the gov.

Colter will not be easily replaced and I do applaud him for always speaking his mind and not what someone else thinks he should or should not say. Maybe he can apply to work at the Tribune in Great Falls after all in a way its their fault he got fired since the thread was about them [-X

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:15 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
John K wrote:

I am not sure I agree with you on corporations thinking employees that are eaily replaceable. Colter should have been put on some type of probation in my mind if in fact the comments on here are what got him fired. But if a business thinks that employees are easy to find they must not be aware of whats going on. If you drive down almost any street you can find a lot of businesses that are looking for work. The problem is there are too many people that think they are too good for certain jobs and would rather not work at all and colect from the gov.

Colter will not be easily replaced and I do applaud him for always speaking his mind and not what someone else thinks he should or should not say. Maybe he can apply to work at the Tribune in Great Falls after all in a way its their fault he got fired since the thread was about them [-X
I would wholeheartedly support that!! It's my understanding that he also had a job offer from the Trib, but ultimately chose the Chronicle job instead, so maybe they'd be willing to take another look. Unfortunately, unless one of the newbies leaves, they probably won't have another opening until Mansch retires, and I'll be really sorry when that day comes.

nativecat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by nativecat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:18 pm

John K wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
John K wrote:

I would wholeheartedly support that!! It's my understanding that he also had a job offer from the Trib, but ultimately chose the Chronicle job instead, so maybe they'd be willing to take another look. Unfortunately, unless one of the newbies leaves, they probably won't have another opening until Mansch retires, and I'll be really sorry when that day comes.
You know, we don't have all the information yet, perhaps Colter had another offer on the table when he went off on the Chronicle?

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:22 pm

I'd love to see him as the Bobcat only reporter for the Gazette. Let Rock Chuck handle the friz and Rocky

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Not to be a downer, but let's also consider this -- almost every newspaper in the country is downsizing their staff and is facing the same financial challenges the Chronicle is. Would you hire a guy who just went off on his old employer in public for doing the exact same things you are doing as well?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:31 pm

I wonder if there will be any editorials in other newspapers around the state rallying to his defense? I'm guessing there won't be, but it will be interesting to see.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:Not to be a downer, but let's also consider this -- almost every newspaper in the country is downsizing their staff and is facing the same financial challenges the Chronicle is. Would you hire a guy who just went off on his old employer in public for doing the exact same things you are doing as well?
His knowledge of the games extends far beyond just reporting the facts of what happened on any given Saturday. I think his future will be in something other than newspaper. Maybe TV or magazines...maybe working for a pro team?? Who knows, but he's too good to be out for long.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:13 pm

I don't mean to bash Colter as he was a fantastic reporter and really helped keep me informed way over here by North Dakota. However, when you make a VERY public statement like his on a board frequented by people that live in and around Bozeman he HAD to have known this was not going to go his way. (If that is the reason he was terminated)

As almost anyone knows when you verbally attack, critize or whatever you want to call it, your company or bosses on a social media site you have a very good chance of losing your employment with said company. Most companies now have in their handbooks parts in it that discuss social media and derogatory comments made about people that work there or management.

Again I am going off the thought he was let go because of the public statements, and I along with some of you think Colter knew exactly what he was doing and was ready for other opportunities.

I wish him nothing but the best and a sincere thank you for the hard work and honest opinions of the staff.

As an aside I hate to have lost 2 great reporters in the same year! But I'll just do this :-({|= in the corner and cry to myself haha.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

FTFGF
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTFGF » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:08 pm

griztasteslikechicken wrote:
Cats15 wrote:
griztasteslikechicken wrote:I just emailed the Chronicle and expressed my displeasure. I recommend we ALL do....what a joke!
what's the email address?
sports@dailychronicle.com
I emailed the Chronicle. I agree with a lot of the previous posts; he may have run his mouth a little too much, but immediate termination seems very, very excessive.

I'd rather be 0-11 than a grizzly.

Jake_Sorich
New Recruit

Post by Jake_Sorich » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:29 pm

:D
Last edited by Jake_Sorich on Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:18 pm

Jake, I think the point of our criticism is that MSU is NOT getting equal coverage. Saying that you want to provide equal coverage and doing so are two completely different things.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

WalkOn79

Need help w/ GF Tribune

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:54 pm

Aside from his abilities as a sports writer, I appreciated the fact that he didn't hide the fact that he was a Griz, but it never impacted his ability to tell the story impartially. Most of our Montana TV personalities could learn a valuable lesson from Colter.

Fn Griz Homers!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Sotallytober
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Sotallytober » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:56 am

kmax wrote:Just because you are free to say something, does not mean you are free of the consequences that may accompany what you have to say.
This is an important point about free speech that many people do not understand.
Our Constitution guarantees our ability to say almost whatever we want, but it does not protect us from how we are judged or treated by others for that speech.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:59 am

All I'm hearing about the GF Tribune is how they are short staffed, fine! I think we all can agree that they have a staffing problem, but why make excuses for not covering the Cats. Use your short staff and cover the Cats and leave the Griz coverage like ours is right now. For the writers at the Trib. and the people making excuses for them, I can't figure out why this is such a tough concept. You either pick one or the other if your "short staffed" why not us? Give me the excuse for that one! The whole thing seems to be a bias issue rather than a "short staff" issue.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:05 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:All I'm hearing about the GF Tribune is how they are short staffed, fine! I think we all can agree that they have a staffing problem, but why make excuses for not covering the Cats. Use your short staff and cover the Cats and leave the Griz coverage like ours is right now. For the writers at the Trib. and the people making excuses for them, I can't figure out why this is such a tough concept. You either pick one or the other if your "short staffed" why not us? Give me the excuse for that one! The whole thing seems to be a bias issue rather than a "short staff" issue.

+1 =D^