2012 Recruiting List

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: 2012 Recruiting List

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:19 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:DE Dillon Fraley Big Fork 6-5 245

Coming to MSU. Pretty Sure as a walk on. I was really hoping MSU would get him
Wow, he's a good get for a walk on. He is a big kid and will just get bigger with more time in the weight room and not playing three sports. Pretty decent athlete, exceptional student, really good kid. I'm familiar with both of the Bigfork kids (Fraley and Dopps) and I think we got some sleepers. I think Fraley's dad, Doug, played football at Western. If he gets mean, he'll be one of the better picks of the class.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:23 pm

TomCat88 wrote:

If true that's six players from far western/northwestern Montana. None from anywhere else in the state. Just goes to show you how quirky recruiting can be.
I've only had a conversation with Coach Ash once, and I asked him about recruiting the Flathead. He just got a diabolical smile on his face and said he wanted to really start recruiting hard and winning that battle up here. So far so good. And I think that's going to pay huge dividends in fan base, not to mention donor base! Well done, Coach Ash and staff!

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:18 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

If true that's six players from far western/northwestern Montana. None from anywhere else in the state. Just goes to show you how quirky recruiting can be.
I've only had a conversation with Coach Ash once, and I asked him about recruiting the Flathead. He just got a diabolical smile on his face and said he wanted to really start recruiting hard and winning that battle up here. So far so good. And I think that's going to pay huge dividends in fan base, not to mention donor base! Well done, Coach Ash and staff!
Dont be surprised to see WR George Sherwood (Flathead) in cat blue...
I think he is really soft... but he has had great numbers in HS.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:33 pm

Add Chad Newell to the prefered walk on list..

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:Add Chad Newell to the prefered walk on list..
Just saw that tweeted by Rachac

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:07 am

Here's an article on the Bigfork boys.

http://www.flatheadbeacon.com//articles ... ate/26461/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:30 am

Signed LOI in blue
TomCat88 wrote:**UPDATED for Mahlum and Silva verbal commits.
Verbaled
QB Austin Barth 6'6", 225 Columbia Falls, MT (Columbia Falls HS) All-Montana team ESPN (Linebacker)
QB/S Vince DiGiallonardo 6'0" 180 Polson, MT (Polson HS) Class A first team All-State QB/Safety
QB Dakota Prukop Austin, TX (Vandegrift HS) 3-star ESPN
OL J.P. Flynn 6'3" 285 Iowa (Bettendorf HS) Top four OL in Iowa by IowaSportsConnection
OL Doug Hanson 6'5", 280 Mission Viejo, Calif. No. 32 rated prospect in Orange County
OL Marshall Womack 6'4" 255 Austin, TX (Lake Travis) All-League for Texas 4A champions
DE Zach Hutchins 6'2" 225 Las Vegas (Bishop Gorman HS) 2-star Rivals
RB/LB Fe’ao Vunipola 6'0" 220 California (Pittsburgh HS) First team all East Bay; 4.48 40; 300-lb bench press
TE/DE Jackson Mahlum 6'3", 215 Frenchtown First team all Conference at TE
K AJ Silva 6'2" 175, Nevada (Reed HS) Second team all state 4A at QB; League OPOY
**Already Enrolled**
K Keith Leenders 5'10" 180, Solano Community College

Probable signees or walkons
DE Luke Halliburton 6'1", 220 Kalispell
RB Cody Dopps 6'1", 185 Bigfork
RB Savon Bivens 5'6" 130 Ridgley MD (North Caroline HS)

CapitalCityCat
Member # Retired

Post by CapitalCityCat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:44 pm

I see the MSU Athletics site has the incorrect player info listed for AJ Silva (they have the info for Marshall Womack). I'm hoping someone from the dept. will read this and update.

AJ Silva, K

6-1, 170, Fr, Sparks, NV (Reed)

Player Notes: Helped lead Lake Travis to the 2011 Division 1-4A State Championship, a team ranked fourth nationally, its fifth straight state title... was All-District Second Team, Academic All-District, and a multiple Offensive Lineman of the Week honoree... an avid weight lifter.From MSU Coach Rob Ash: "He comes to us as a kicker, but he was a sparkplug of their football team as a quarterback this year. He led them to the finals, where they lost to Bishop Gorman in the championship game. He passed for around 3,000 yards and had a great career as a quarterback, so he's very athletic. He has a very strong leg, and was one of the national leaders in kickoff yardage and touchbacks."

Retiring my moniker. It's time to ride off into the sunset. It's been a fun ride. Go Cats.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:03 pm

kmax wrote:I will try to keep this updated as we hear changes so post updates if you have them. Initially go off of Scats list and our known verbals. If anyone has the links to announcements for the other verbaled recruits post them and I will update it, I didn't want to spend the time trying to find them right now.

Currently Enrolled Signees
K Keith Leenders 5'8" 185 Jr Vacaville, CA (Vacaville/Solano College)

Signed LOI
QB/S Vince DiGiallonardo 6'0" 180 Polson, MT (Polson HS) http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
QB Dakota Prukop Austin, TX (Vandegrift HS) http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OL J.P. Flynn 6'3" 285 Iowa (Bettendorf HS) http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OL Marshall Womack 6'4" 235 Austin, TX (Lake Travis) http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DE Zach Hutchins 6'2" 225 Las Vegas (Bishop Gorman HS) http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/ap ... ts/?p=9964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RB/LB Fe’ao Vunipola 6'0" 220 California (Pittsburgh HS) http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/ap ... s/?p=10134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TE Jackson Mahlum 6'3" 210 Frenchtown, MT (Frenchtown HS)
QB Austin Barth 6'6" Columbia Falls, MT (Columbia Falls HS)
DT Kris Cooper 6'3" 265 Serra HS (Torrence, CA)
K A.J. Silva Reed HS (Sparks, NV)
OL Doug Hanson 6'4" 275 Mission Viejo HS (Mission Viejo, CA)

Verbaled
RB Savon Bivens 5'6" 130 Ridgley MD (North Caroline HS) http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/ap ... s/?p=10134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (unknown if walk-on or scholarship)

Believed to have been offered
QB Trey Green 6'2" 180 Beaumont, TX (Ozen HS) (Down to MSU and Northwestern State)
WR Mikey Stallone 5'9" 180 4.65 Redlands, CA (Redlands Senior HS)

K Evan Sobiesk 5'9" 185 Hattiesburg, MS (Oak Grove Attendance Center)
DE Nehemiah Mitchell 6'5" 220 Oakland, CA (Bishop O Dowd HS)
OLB Nick Januska 6'2' 210 4.45 Ventura, CA (Ventura HS) visiting on 1/20
DB Ma'ne Manaea 5'11' 185 4.5 Lakewood, Washington (Lakes HS)
S Jake Zylstra 6'2' 180 Kent, WA (Kentridge HS)
Gonna update the first post to be just the final list. Quoting here first in case anyone wants to see the other names we had as potentials.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:38 pm

CapitalCityCat wrote:I see the MSU Athletics site has the incorrect player info listed for AJ Silva (they have the info for Marshall Womack). I'm hoping someone from the dept. will read this and update.

AJ Silva, K

Player Notes: Helped lead Lake Travis to the 2011 Division 1-4A State Championship, a team ranked fourth nationally, its fifth straight state title... was All-District Second Team, Academic All-District, and a multiple Offensive Lineman of the Week honoree... an avid weight lifter.From MSU Coach Rob Ash: "He comes to us as a kicker, but he was a sparkplug of their football team as a quarterback this year. He led them to the finals, where they lost to Bishop Gorman in the championship game. He passed for around 3,000 yards and had a great career as a quarterback, so he's very athletic. He has a very strong leg, and was one of the national leaders in kickoff yardage and touchbacks."
Also, while we're at it....
Kris Cooper attended Gardena Serra High School....not Garden Sierra.

cl4101960
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cl4101960 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:58 pm

This is a good article on the JC kicker who is already on board and at MSU- currently. He is training already with the team.

http://www.dailyrepublic.com/sports/col ... ana-state/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think Ash has shored up his kicking war-chest- I think this guy will assume the duties of Jason. =D^

Air Force Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Air Force Cat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:03 pm

cl4101960 wrote:This is a good article on the JC kicker who is already on board and at MSU- currently. He is training already with the team.

http://www.dailyrepublic.com/sports/col ... ana-state/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think Ash has shored up his kicking war-chest- I think this guy will assume the duties of Jason. =D^
Yes we are all excited to get a commit from a quality kicker. Got it

cl4101960
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cl4101960 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Another article on JC Kicker- already enrolled and working out with team.

GO BOBCATS!!!!! GO!!!!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:11 pm

Things have changed a ton in the last five years. It wasn't so long ago that 250lb Marshall Womack would have been huge for a Bobcat freshman recruit and we'd be lucky to find videos for more than 2 or 3 of our guys. This year we got three guys bigger than Womack and videos for all of them.

Some of the difference is the increase in media and internet interest in recruiting, but this program attracts a different class of talent than it used to.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:13 pm

cl4101960 wrote:Another article on JC Kicker- already enrolled and working out with team.

GO BOBCATS!!!!! GO!!!!
Isn't this the same article that you posted above?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:15 pm

allcat wrote:
cl4101960 wrote:Another article on JC Kicker- already enrolled and working out with team.

GO BOBCATS!!!!! GO!!!!
And 3-4 other times in other threads...

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:55 pm

coachouert wrote:
allcat wrote:

GO BOBCATS!!!!! GO!!!!
And 3-4 other times in other threads...
Mr. Leenders is proud of his kid.

CapitalCityCat
Member # Retired

Post by CapitalCityCat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:59 pm

wbtfg wrote:
CapitalCityCat wrote:I see the MSU Athletics site has the incorrect player info listed for AJ Silva (they have the info for Marshall Womack). I'm hoping someone from the dept. will read this and update.

AJ Silva, K

Is it just me, or is it embarrassing that these inaccuracies have now been picked up by the statewide media without having been proofread and corrected by the athletic dept. I mean, I know everyone is busy and all, but really? The biggest day of some of these young men's lives and we can't get their info correct?

steps off soapbox

http://helenair.com/sports/football/col ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Retiring my moniker. It's time to ride off into the sunset. It's been a fun ride. Go Cats.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:25 pm

CapitalCityCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

AJ Silva, K

Is it just me, or is it embarrassing that these inaccuracies have now been picked up by the statewide media without having been proofread and corrected by the athletic dept. I mean, I know everyone is busy and all, but really? The biggest day of some of these young men's lives and we can't get their info correct?

steps off soapbox

http://helenair.com/sports/football/col ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's not just you.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:01 am

Montana State inks 12 new recruits
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... 3ce6c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;