Casey Fitzsimmons

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Casey Fitzsimmons

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon May 10, 2004 9:38 am

OK - what does this blurb from ESPN mean for Casey??

Around the league

Speaking of tight ends, the Detroit Lions, who have done a nice job of surrounding third-year quarterback Joey Harrington with more speed, are attempting to add Stephen Alexander to the arsenal. Lions officials have been in substantive negotiations with the six-year veteran tight end for about a week now and actually, ESPN.com confirmed, made contact with him before the draft. The often-injured Alexander, released earlier this offseason by the San Diego Chargers, is said to be healthy again after a long battle with a severe groin injury that limited him to only three appearances in 2003. Alexander, 28, also suffered through myriad leg injuries in 2001, when playing for Washington, and there is no doubt his medical dossier must be carefully scrutinized. But the former Oklahoma star still possesses very good deep speed, can split the safeties, and has solid hands. His best season came in 2000, when he posted 47 catches for the Redskins, and he had 25-plus catches in the four seasons in which he was able to stay healthy. The Lions' starter in 2003 was rookie Casey FitzSimmons, an undrafted free agent who had just 23 catches, and isn't all that athletic. If the Lions can grab Alexander for the right price, and are convinced he is healthy, he could be a nice addition to an improving offense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=1796964

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon May 10, 2004 2:17 pm

Well for one thing - I admit I am now a Casey bandwagon fan, and it's an extremely good accomplishiment to have even made the Lions' roster. Having said that, I don't believe he started every game last year and don't think the Lions' offense has a strong emphasis on throwing to the T.E. Given that, 24 catches doesn't sound that bad. From what I've read about Casey, he'll continue to try hard and do his best even thought according to some he "isn't very athletic!" Good Luck Casey!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon May 10, 2004 5:56 pm

Casey does more than play tight end. He's also a key special teams player and while some may contend he's not a good athlete, he's got a knack for making plays. I think he'll be fine in Detroit for a couple more years at least.