The Great West v. Big Sky

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WYOBISONMAN
BobcatNation Letterman

The Great West v. Big Sky

Post by WYOBISONMAN » Fri May 07, 2004 10:42 am

I just tallied up all the games between the GWC and the BSC and there are a total of 14 games. I am sure that is more that we play with any other single conference. Maybe through this interconfence play we can see who really is the "BEST IN THE WEST"....could be the makings of an interesing trophy....

The Games:

Sept. 4
Southern Utah @ Weber State

Sept. 11
Cal Poly @ Idaho State

Sept. 18
Idaho State @ Northern Colorado
Cal Poly @ Montana State
Cal Davis @ Weber State
Southern Utah @ Sac State

Sept. 25
Northern Colorado @ Montana
Sac State @ Cal Davis

Oct. 23
South Dakota State @ Montana State

Nov. 6th
North Dakota State @ Weber State
Cal Poly @ Eastern Washington

Nov. 20th
Cal Davis @ Portland State
Idaho State @ Southern Utah
Cal Poly @ Sac State

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri May 07, 2004 10:47 am

It is good to have another conference out West and I am glad to see all the matchups between the Big Sky and the Great West. There are several games in that list that could be some real good matchups. Also interesting to see so many matchups late in the season, as late season out of conference games have not been the norm in the Sky recently, at least not for MSU. Will make it that much better having these matchups late in the season when potentially a bit more is on line at least for the playoff eligible teams.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

CATCO
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CATCO » Fri May 07, 2004 1:38 pm

The Big Sky should have an advantage, looks like 11 of the 14 are at a Big Sky teams home field.

eagle1
New Recruit

GWC vs BSC

Post by eagle1 » Fri May 07, 2004 6:00 pm

Here is my predictions on the games below.

Sept. 4th
Southern Utah @ Weber State (Weber State Wins)

Sept. 11th
Cal Poly @ Idaho State (Idaho State Wins)

Sept. 18th
Idaho State @ Northern Colorado (Northern Colorado Wins)
Cal Poly @ Montana State (Montana State Wins)
UC Davis @ Weber State (UC Davis Wins)
Southern Utah @ Sacramento State (Sacramento State Wins)

Sept. 25th
Northern Colorado @ Montana (Montana Wins)
Sacramento State @ UC Davis (UC Davis Wins)

Oct. 23rd
South Dakota State @ Montana State (Montana State Wins)

Nov. 6th
North Dakota State @ Weber State (Weber State Wins)
Cal Poly @ Eastern Washington (Eastern Washington Wins)

Nov. 20th
UC Davis @ Portland State (UC Davis Wins)
Idaho State @ Southern Utah (Idaho State Wins)
Cal Poly @ Sacramento State (Cal Poly Wins)

Big Sky= 9
GWC = 5

89rabbit
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: GWC vs BSC

Post by 89rabbit » Sat May 08, 2004 10:06 am

eagle1 wrote:Here is my predictions on the games below.

Sept. 4th
Southern Utah @ Weber State (Weber State Wins)

Sept. 11th
Cal Poly @ Idaho State (Idaho State Wins)

Sept. 18th
Idaho State @ Northern Colorado (Northern Colorado Wins)
Cal Poly @ Montana State (Montana State Wins)
UC Davis @ Weber State (UC Davis Wins)
Southern Utah @ Sacramento State (Sacramento State Wins)

Sept. 25th
Northern Colorado @ Montana (Montana Wins)
Sacramento State @ UC Davis (UC Davis Wins)

Oct. 23rd
South Dakota State @ Montana State (Montana State Wins)

Nov. 6th
North Dakota State @ Weber State (Weber State Wins)
Cal Poly @ Eastern Washington (Eastern Washington Wins)

Nov. 20th
UC Davis @ Portland State (UC Davis Wins)
Idaho State @ Southern Utah (Idaho State Wins)
Cal Poly @ Sacramento State (Cal Poly Wins)

Big Sky= 9
GWC = 5
Not bad, except SDSU is going to beat Montana State on Oct. 23rd. . . . Come on what did you expect me to say. :wink: :)

South Dakota State University
Jackrabbits # 1!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sat May 08, 2004 10:57 am

Hey 89rabbit ... a lot of MSU fans don't know a lot about the Jackrabbits this year. What is gonna be their strength this year? weaknesses? Just curious who some of their studs are and how you think they are gonna do this year?

89rabbit
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 89rabbit » Sat May 08, 2004 1:24 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:Hey 89rabbit ... a lot of MSU fans don't know a lot about the Jackrabbits this year. What is gonna be their strength this year? weaknesses? Just curious who some of their studs are and how you think they are gonna do this year?
Offense is the key to the Jackrabbits. We run a wide open 2 TE 1 RB formation and like to throw the ball a lot. Brad Nelson is our QB he is a Sr. and this will be his second year as a starter. Last year he was 221 for 340, 3,141 yds and 27 TDs, 5 Int. He only runs if he has to. Our HB is Anthony Watson he is a Soph. last year he ran for 974 yds. He spent part of the season hurt and saw limited action in a couple of games. Brad's favorite target should be Josh Davis. Last year Josh cought 63 passes for 1,028 yds. The O-Line graduated three guys (two signed Free agent deals with the NFL, Studer with Chicago and Wagstrom with Miami). So we are looking to fill some BIG shoes at the tackle spots. We should score a lot of points.

Defense graduated 8 players. Including Scott Connot at SS who signed with Kansas City and All American Kevin Brown at CB. Lots of holes to fill. We also had our Offensive and Defensive coordinators leave. Eric Eidness, or O coordinator, became head coach at Southwest Minnesota State, a D-II school, and took our D coordinator with him (might be a good thing I didn't like his scheme). Eric beat out one of Georgia Southern's assistants for the job. We have added a couple of guys with Colorado State connections and overall I see this as a good thing. Our new D coordinator Karl Ballard has implemented a more attacking style of D and they looked great during the spring game. Coach John Stiegelmeier will be starting his 8th season as the Head Coach and has been with SDSU for 17 years (before Head Coach he was a DB coach and D-coordinator for the Jacks). His overall record as Head Coach stands at 42-33. He is a little on the hot seat as many fans would like to see more then just 9 wins better then loses over his tenure. Although I think he is safe as we transition to I-AA for a least a year or two.

Overall how will the Jackrabbits be this year? Well it depends on how well the defense can play. How fast the kids come around. Last year we were in every game (except the NDSU game) and lost by a total of 7 points to two playoff teams. We lost by 1 point to North Dakota, on a last second miracle play, who ended up in the NCAA D-II Championship game. We should be ok this season and we are looking forward to playing the Bobcats and Georgia Southern. Both games will be great measuring stick games. We are a dark horse for the Great West Championship.

South Dakota State University
Jackrabbits # 1!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon May 10, 2004 1:21 pm

Thanks Rabbit! Very good in depth analysis. The Jackrabbits sound like a very solid team to me. It should be a good game I'm thinking. Let me know if you are coming up for the game as your more than welcome to tailgate with us if you want.