Hats flying all over!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Hats flying all over!

Post by Rich K » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:18 pm

I always cringe when I see a helmet flying off of players on the field, and it seems to me that during the last couple of years it's worse than ever. I haven't done any counting of specific incidents but it sure seems like it's happening a lot.

Has anybody else noticed this trend or am I halluinating, and if it is, is this an equipment issue and how is it addressed?

We've heard so much about the desire to reduce head injuries as much as possible, and with the turf field and unprotected heads hopefully this doesn't become an issue.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

gocats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Hats flying all over!

Post by gocats » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:31 pm

Watch them put their helmets on when they do. They put it on like a hat. When I played years ago, you had to grab both sides of the helmet and stretch it over your head. I don't hardly ever remember seeing a helmet come off in the 80's. There has to be a way to change that.

Alcohol doesn't make you fat, it makes you lean.... on chairs, tables and random ugly people....

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Somebody else noticed too:

Increased number of flying helmets raises concerns
"It seems clear there are more helmets coming off in the natural course of play," said Rogers Redding, SEC officials supervisor and secretary/rules editor for the NCAA football rules committee. "We see it a few times a game. It's not just with (the SEC) but nationally.

"I've noticed when players go to the sidelines ... it seems it's very easy to pull their helmets off. I don't know what's going on from a design standpoint. It just seems to slide on and slide off very easily. Players don't have to tug on it. ... It's almost like they flick it off."

Platinumcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Platinumcat » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:37 pm

I most certainly have noticed this. In fact we were visiting in the stands about it yesterday.

I would be very interested to hear why this may be happening. I may just have a question for Coach Ash on Tuesday.

Oh, and I'm Jason Wiers, Platinum Property Management

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:23 pm

guys are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever. we're gonna see more and more of this. they'd have to be the tightest ever to always be able to stay on after some of the hits these guys are taking.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

gocats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by gocats » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:36 pm

Oh come on. that doesn't have anything to do with the helmets just slipping on like a baseball cap. They should be tighter than that when they put them on. If they fit right they shouldn't just fly offlike that. I took a hit as a tight end that rocked me and my helmet never moved.

Alcohol doesn't make you fat, it makes you lean.... on chairs, tables and random ugly people....

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:11 pm

gocats wrote:Oh come on. that doesn't have anything to do with the helmets just slipping on like a baseball cap. They should be tighter than that when they put them on. If they fit right they shouldn't just fly offlike that. I took a hit as a tight end that rocked me and my helmet never moved.
thats great. but unless you have put on a helmet RECENTLY you have no idea how tight they are just because you think guys put them on funny. maybe some are too loose. i have no way of knowing because the only person who knows for sure is the person wearing them. it would be silly to assume that everytime a helmet goes flying off it's because it's to loose and has nothing to do with the shots that these guys are taking. don't believe me? next time you're talking to a player ask them if they've ever had their helmet knocked off. if they reply yes, ask them if they think it was because it was to big for their head...or the result of getting popped. you might be surprised. let's not pretend that every incident is identical. i'll concede sometimes helmets might just in fact be loose. but it would be stupid to act like players getting way bigger....way faster....and way stronger has nothing to do with it. unless next you're gonna tell me that players aren't bigger, faster and stronger 'cause one time when you were playing there was a guy on your team really big and strong and fast. :D

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Anybody else have that song "pants on the ground" stuck in your head while reading this topic. :D

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Another thing to consider is that I see more and more players (QB's and WR's specifically), having one or even 2 buckles of their chinstraps NOT buckled during play. I see it all over college football, and that could also be contributing to it.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:52 am

I thought I read somewhere that it is intentional and part of the design of the new helmets. Has to do with actually reducing injury???

Bobcat4Life
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Bobcat4Life » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:31 pm

It would actually be interesting to get a real answer to this question, as I have noticed it as well. Seems like it is happening more and more frequently. I actually had the same thought watching a couple weeks ago, "Why all the helmets flying off during the games?"

Similiar to the why are there so many broken bats in baseball? Well, we know that it's a shortage of ash wood that was used to make bats previously and now with the shortage, more and more bats are using maple. There has to be a reasonable explanation, not just bigger, faster, stronger.

My guess is that if players aren't adjusting them properly that eventually this will end up as a penalty that officials can call. Another thing for BSC officials to screw up

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Here's a post from four years ago. I think the new rules are at least helping to keep the helmets on. It happens but certainly not with the frequency as even the recent past. Hopefully this and (hopefully) the enhanced concussion protocols are reducing both the number and severity of head injuries.