David Dash

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

David Dash

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:55 pm

After listening to Will's interview with David Dash he sounds like a great kid. Picking the right college is a tough choice and I think he made the right choice and will like MSU. Like the article below, he does get some criticisms on his size but the ESPN video I have seen on him he is tough and can run between the tackles! I see him playing right away this year. Very good get for MSU! Plus he can also do kickoffs and punts!

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiti ... Id%3d92311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/ind ... &year=2009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: David Dash

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Solid interview! Humble in a way, but yet very confident in his abilities without being cocky. I like it!

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Looking at his tape, Dash (5-9, 175) is another electric player ala Everett Gilbert (5-9, 175). For all I know, I could've been watching a digitally altered tape of Gilbert as I watched Dash. And what a name "David Dash." Are you kidding? That's just how he cuts through the line.

Speaking of Gilbert someone in another thread mentioned his numbers last year and it got me thinking...does anyone know when the last time MSU, or the BSC, had a true freshman receiver with his numbers? Most receivers take a couple years (Marc Mariani, for instance, took a red-shirt year, didn't catch a pass as a frosh and had 15-231-1 as a third-year soph, but then exploded for nearly 150 receptions in 31 games; granted he had some qualified WRs ahead of him as he progressed) to develop into go-to guys.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GrizBaller1
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GrizBaller1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Dash is really impressive.... looks really explosive and not afraid to stick his nose in between the tackles despite his size. He looks like he can help u guys out immediately next year. I think both MSU and UM had really nice recruiting classes overall.... Dash being a major surprise for MSU like our WR CJ Atkins 6'2" 210lbs. 4.35 40 was a huge surprise for UM....Dash has 2 more years of eligibility than CJ though.....we also got a nice back in Brett Kirschner... he is bigger than Dash and has good speed, but doesn't look nearly as explosive.... I saw that Dash allegedly runs a 4.62 40.... judging by that video i'm not buying that for a second, he definitely has great speed and looks like a nightmare to cover for the next 4 years.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:40 pm

GrizBaller1 wrote:Dash is really impressive.... looks really explosive and not afraid to stick his nose in between the tackles despite his size. He looks like he can help u guys out immediately next year. I think both MSU and UM had really nice recruiting classes overall.... Dash being a major surprise for MSU like our WR CJ Atkins 6'2" 210lbs. 4.35 40 was a huge surprise for UM....Dash has 2 more years of eligibility than CJ though.....we also got a nice back in Brett Kirschner... he is bigger than Dash and has good speed, but doesn't look nearly as explosive.... I saw that Dash allegedly runs a 4.62 40.... judging by that video i'm not buying that for a second, he definitely has great speed and looks like a nightmare to cover for the next 4 years.
Since TomCat brought up the question about any BSC true freshman having those kinds of numbers, I immediately thought of Eric Kimble. I wasn't able to find out if he was a true freshman or not his first year, but I did see his NFL combine time. He ran a 4.6, and a 4.63. Not what you would call a burner, but he sure tore the Big Sky to shreds. 40 times are great, but football speed is where it's at. It looks like Dash has that.

By the way, some of those Griz recruits look scary good.

GrizBaller1
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GrizBaller1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:49 pm

CelticCat wrote:
GrizBaller1 wrote:Dash is really impressive.... looks really explosive and not afraid to stick his nose in between the tackles despite his size. He looks like he can help u guys out immediately next year. I think both MSU and UM had really nice recruiting classes overall.... Dash being a major surprise for MSU like our WR CJ Atkins 6'2" 210lbs. 4.35 40 was a huge surprise for UM....Dash has 2 more years of eligibility than CJ though.....we also got a nice back in Brett Kirschner... he is bigger than Dash and has good speed, but doesn't look nearly as explosive.... I saw that Dash allegedly runs a 4.62 40.... judging by that video i'm not buying that for a second, he definitely has great speed and looks like a nightmare to cover for the next 4 years.
Since TomCat brought up the question about any BSC true freshman having those kinds of numbers, I immediately thought of Eric Kimble. I wasn't able to find out if he was a true freshman or not his first year, but I did see his NFL combine time. He ran a 4.6, and a 4.63. Not what you would call a burner, but he sure tore the Big Sky to shreds. 40 times are great, but football speed is where it's at. It looks like Dash has that.

By the way, some of those Griz recruits look scary good.
I'm not a huge fan of 40 times either... and you bring up a great example in Kimble (glad he is gone :shock: ) but its just hard for me to believe after watching that video, that Dash runs a 4.6 and change.... he has tremendous burst. Im really excited to watch him play in the Big Sky and see what he can do as a true freshman... there is no way that you guys redshirt him. I also like what the cats did at Safety.... you guys added some much needed depth there... and there is a certain Defensive End that you guys signed from eastern MT that I'm not too excited about becoming a Cat....as soon as Dane Fletcher leaves in comes Taylor Dees #-o #-o #-o

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:49 am

TomCat88 wrote:Looking at his tape, Dash (5-9, 175) is another electric player ala Everett Gilbert (5-9, 175). For all I know, I could've been watching a digitally altered tape of Gilbert as I watched Dash. And what a name "David Dash." Are you kidding? That's just how he cuts through the line.
Nice to have someone back me up on this. From Will's blog:
“Like Everett,” Beck said. “He’s going to be another threat.”
And Will said:
His numbers aren’t the only thing that look a lot like Gilbert’s. His words on signing day also sounded a lot like Gilbert’s last year: “To be honest with you, I think (all those other schools) didn’t believe in me - my size and how I look. Montana State did and that’s why I went with my gut feeling. There’s nothing really I can say to those other schools. I wish them luck too, but if they’re ever the opposite team one day, then they’re going to remember, ‘Oh, we didn’t take a chance on this kid.’ Montana State did, so I think Montana State is really going to be happy with it.”
Dash and Gilbert remind me of when Randy Moss fell to Minnesota on Draft Day '98.

I guess you can assume that this is the player MSU gets in place of the Griz-defector (Kanongata'a?). If so, it looks like a nice trade off right now simply because MSU needs offense/scoring punch much more than it needs defense. And if you want to get a little carried away you can imagine both playing STs next year and seeing Dash bust one pulling away from Kanongata'a over the last 40 yards ala Corey Smith running away from I think it was Levander Segars.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bpcats
Member # Retired

Post by bpcats » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:23 am

From watching tape and reading that he ran a 4.6 my conclusion would be that he may not have top end speed, but he has great short area quickness. He looks like he is about a .5 second faster getting to line of scrimmage than Kerry Sloan who is a bigger back.

Watching him run he looks like a combination of Mason and DC. Looks like he doesn't waste a lot of motion when making his cuts and getting up the field.

For the Cats to beat the Griz we need playmakers and he looks like he can do that.

I love the running back combination that the Cats picked up this year.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:27 am

bpcats wrote:From watching tape and reading that he ran a 4.6 my conclusion would be that he may not have top end speed, but he has great short area quickness. He looks like he is about a .5 second faster getting to line of scrimmage than Kerry Sloan who is a bigger back.

Watching him run he looks like a combination of Mason and DC. Looks like he doesn't waste a lot of motion when making his cuts and getting up the field.

For the Cats to beat the Griz we need playmakers and he looks like he can do that.

Per Will's blog: "As far as what he’ll be for the Bobcats, Beck said expect kick returner, punt returner and slot receiver." Doesn't look like we plan on using Dash as a RB. Ash also mentioned he had one scholarship to give to a RB this year, and they did so with Sloan. It looks like Dash will be more of a Gilbert type guy.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:19 am

CelticCat wrote:
bpcats wrote:From watching tape and reading that he ran a 4.6 my conclusion would be that he may not have top end speed, but he has great short area quickness. He looks like he is about a .5 second faster getting to line of scrimmage than Kerry Sloan who is a bigger back.

Per Will's blog: "As far as what he’ll be for the Bobcats, Beck said expect kick returner, punt returner and slot receiver." Doesn't look like we plan on using Dash as a RB. Ash also mentioned he had one scholarship to give to a RB this year, and they did so with Sloan. It looks like Dash will be more of a Gilbert type guy.
That is good, give Dash and Gilbert the ball in space and let them work their magic. Sloan will eventually be the DO EVERYTHING back we have been wanting 20-25 carries a game pounding the rock. He reminds me of Lex Hilliard as far as the Speed/Size combination.

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Vertical Jump 35.0"
40-yd dash 4.62
20-yd shuttle 4.13
Power ball throw 37'

Those are good numbers for the otherwise diminutive fellow. 35" vertical suggests some serious power and quick burst-speed. Reminds me of a Woodhead guy that pounded the rock on us, or Demetrius Crawford potential. I'm curious and excited to see how David Dash will fit in for us.
Last edited by Walk-on on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

BLGCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BLGCAT » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:02 pm

From watching his video I am not convinced that he is only running a 4.62, seems much faster. Though maybe he has such a quick burst of the ball that gives him so much talent. He seems to have very quick feet that allows him to get 5yrds up before the defense knows whats going on. Should be an exciting player o watch over the years. I am excited that we are able to start landing these talented highschool kids so we are able to enjoy them for four years other than two years with a juco player.