Pj Owsley is gone

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cats14
BobcatNation Redshirt

Pj Owsley is gone

Post by Cats14 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:25 pm

Pj Owsley is leaving MSU for personal reasons. He is thinking about playing at a Junior College in either Utah or Arizona. Best of luck man. we will deffinantly miss you.

rtb

Sad

Post by rtb » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:28 pm

That is really too bad. I thought PJ came out of high school a little weak yet he was already in there as a frosh playing well against the competition. I wish that he could have stayed.

Does anyone else hear the wheels falling off the Hoops program?

Cats14
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Cats14 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:34 pm

Even with Pj's departure i really dont hear the wheels turning off of the b ball program. with what i have heard with the new recruiting class, we will have good size and speed for next year. The big man coming in was a real steal and i am really looking forward to seeing him. Also there have been many other recruites in town lately that really like the program and the town. I think that we will also get a great assistant coach that will be able to bring in more good players. I personanly would love to see sprinkle come back but i know there are alot of other good canadates.

Go Cats.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:05 pm

Ignoring the idea that the 5-8 rule is said to be officially repealed in the next couple of days, this explains how the program could be recruiting two athletes this spring. Owsley counted as one of our 3 recruits this year if he transfered out before start of next year the staff would just give his scholarship to another recruit. The awarding of a scholarship does not officially take place until the start of the school year. Based on what I heard Durham was recruiting using Owsleys Scholarship in mid march so I would say this is nothing that has just happened!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:17 am

Everytime I hear someone is leaving for "personal reasons", the first thing that comes to mind is grades. Anyone know if this is the case, or was he unhappy with the something within the program? Either way, I am sorry to see him go, and I wish PJ the best of luck.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:36 am

5/8 rule is officially gone. article in the missoulian says durham has 4 schollies to fill.

uascat2
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by uascat2 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:10 pm

WHY IS IT THAT SOME PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT TO BLAME THE PROGRAM AND TRY TO EQUATE THAT WITH THE WHEELS FALLING OFF. ALL THE COACHES CAN DO IS AFFORD THE PLAYERS AN
OPPORTUNITY TO GO TO SCHOOL AND PLAY BASKETBALL. UNFORTUNATELY P.J. IS A FAIRLY TALENTED ATHLETE THAT NEVER HAS
APPLIED HIM SELF IN THE CLASSROOM. IF YOU DON'T GO TO CLASS AND YOU CHOOSE TO TAKE THAT ROUTE THEN YOU SUFFER THE
CONSEQUENCES. HOPEFULLY P.J. CAN GROW UP FOR A COUPLE YEARS AND MAYBE RETURN. :?:

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:53 pm

uascat2
I think only one person here brought up "the wheels falling off the wagon" additude and I think a few people expressed a different additude. Overall the past week this board has been real supportive of the team. One comment does not make the whle opinion of this board, as a matter of fact I really enjoy counter thought to my own. Quite a few time over the past few years people have made me reavaluate my opinion and actually made me think, and that is why I continue to visit this place. You made some valid points in your arguement above, but don't take counter opinions so personal it is just not worth it.

rtb

Sorry

Post by rtb » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:35 pm

I am usually the last person to not support the program, and I am not blaming the program, it is just that we have had Wes leave, P.J. leave, and Coach Olson, a fabulous recruiter, leave.

I am not blaming anyone it is just scary with all the changes taking place right now. I know Mick will pull it through, but I just get nervous when this many changes happen within a few weeks.

The board is a place to discuss everything Bobcats, sometimes people will have opinions that differ from your own and guess what, that is the way the world is. I am sorry if I upset you, but why can't anyone point out a few problems with the program. If I would have posted "Mick is an idiot" with no other basis you could be upset and tear me up, but when I ask if anyone else feels all the personal leaving makes them wonder the programs health I should be lambasted. Please try not to take another opinion so seriously.
Last edited by rtb on Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GreatLakesCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Danny Sprinkle as a new assistant BBall coach?

Post by GreatLakesCat » Sat May 01, 2004 4:12 pm

Reading back a little in one of the other posts, I saw Cats14 mentioned having Danny Sprinkle return to be an assistant. I'd love to see sprinks return back home to work with the cats program. Unfortunately I don't think this will happen. Sprinkle would be a very popular choice for the job, but does anybody think that the hiring of Danny would put strain on Mick for his job in the future? I know Danny loves working in California and with his coaching staff now...but i'm sure he'd love to come back to MSU.

I want to know what people think: Does Mick not search out Sprinks for the job because he feels threatend that he'd be run out...?

If God made me a griz fan...I'd shoot myself...

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat May 01, 2004 4:19 pm

No.
Everything I have heard from the MSU side and the Helena/Sprinkle side is that both parties would like to make this work. The work is in the details. I truely do not know what the details are but I would imagine it would be , Money, Long term contracts (which MSU can not offer), Is he first assistant or second, how much of a draw is Montana to Sprinkle.
I can tell you this Sprinkle and Durham have talked and from what I hear Sprinkle has to be considered the #1 canidate.

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Mon May 03, 2004 7:54 am

I'll miss hearing the various names on the radio. Owsley, Dissley, Townsley. That is highly marketable.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon May 03, 2004 8:46 am

theblackgecko:
I'll miss hearing the various names on the radio. Owsley, Dissley, Townsley. That is highly marketable.
The Black Gecko Maybe I am missing something are you saying Owsley, and Dissley, Townsley are not comeing back!?

I guess I missed the point of your post?

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Mon May 03, 2004 8:53 am

I know nothing about Townsley and Dissley being gone, just responding to the rumor that Owsley is leaving, and the fact that I will miss hearing all the "ley" names on the radio. As far as I know, the rest of the "ley" crew are not going anywhere. It is a bit like the former Luke players out at Oregon.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon May 03, 2004 8:57 am

I get it!
Sorry it is a Monday!

You bring up a good point, though, that no one has been able to confirm this story, although I am not getting my hopes up.