Bobcat Stadium

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Bobcat Stadium

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:11 pm

I've had this thought in mind for a while, but keep forgetting to bring it up when the old Bobcat Stadium renovations topic comes up. This is a pretty minor thing, which I would think could be done relatively easily and for not too much cost. The idea is that we need to do more to promote the National Championships that we have won. Put up some flags that boast of our NC's, and/or put something somewhere on the stadium that does the same thing. The only thing we have is the little board at the entrance to the stadium. Things like this will help current players and fans remember the accomplishments of those who came before them, which in turn will have numerous positive influences on performance/pride/and a hundred other things. It will also serve to remind the little red-headed stepchildren (no offense to the Lulay bros.) to the West that we have 3 NC's while they are still stuck at 2. Never hurts to bring the friz down off their perch and remind them of that little tidbit. :wink:

GO CATS GO!!!

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:19 am

Yeah, those "old" championship banners will have a great impact. Lets see, that's an NAIA from 1954, Div II from 1976 and I-AA from 1984 right?

Don't forget that Nat'l Championship banner from the 20s for hoops. That should help make you a Duke like power again too...

Hey, how about tearing out those rotten old wooden bleachers from the south end zone first??? :roll:

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:26 am

Yeah, don't forget the last 2 years BIG SKY CHAMP BANNERS EITHER! Those will look very nice in there.

bronco
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bronco » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:44 am

If you won them I say put them up and be proud. It seems like the Griz don't put up flags when they are co-champs but to each their own.
I think the Griz should put up their National championship handball banner and of course the National Mascot flag.

While on the subject of stadium improvements. You need someone directing traffic after the games. Right now it's anything goes... unfortunately nothing goes for hours. I think your fans would appreciate it. I understand that after most games it isn't a problem but it was unbelievable the lack of traffic control I witnessed the last few years.
Also get rid of the Mountain lion roar over the intercom and get a new mascot uniform...it scares little kids.
I'll leave the rest of the list to those who attend games on a regular basis, I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions...these are just my observations and I think it would help.

Cat Pride
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat Pride » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:45 am

THEE Montana State University is the only football program in the country to win national championships on 3 different levels.

Griz dont display their past acheivements because they dont have much to be proud of outside their amazing run these last 15 years.

Given the funds, I would love to see some sort of memorial at the stadium in dedication to the veterans of WWII who played football at MSU and lost their lives. Anyone else see that episode on ESPN Classic?

Bleedinbluengold

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:09 am

Bozone, et. al....Simply email Davies or Gant with your suggestions. They're very open to fan suggestions.

BTW - I understand a new mascot uni will be unveiled this year.

On traffic control - give us a break, we've never averaged 12K/game for a season. The best to handle that, is to walk to Specs after the game.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:13 am

bronco wrote:If you won them I say put them up and be proud. It seems like the Griz don't put up flags when they are co-champs but to each their own.
I think the Griz should put up their National championship handball banner and of course the National Mascot flag.

While on the subject of stadium improvements. You need someone directing traffic after the games. Right now it's anything goes... unfortunately nothing goes for hours. I think your fans would appreciate it. I understand that after most games it isn't a problem but it was unbelievable the lack of traffic control I witnessed the last few years.
Also get rid of the Mountain lion roar over the intercom and get a new mascot uniform...it scares little kids.
I'll leave the rest of the list to those who attend games on a regular basis, I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions...these are just my observations and I think it would help.

Directing traffic? Sorry man .. we tailgate after the game while traffic leaves. I would recommend that if you can't stand traffic.

I think the mountain lion roar also scares the Grizzlies and their fans too .. thats why they keep it.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:14 pm

bozgriz: so the 1969,70 div 2 runner up don't mean anything because they were at a lower level. those weren't real griz football teams, not like today...............you guys are forgetting the rodeo crowns, 7 i think.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:20 pm

Yeah, I forgot to throw in about putting flags (maybe at a lower height) up for our Big Sky Championships too. If the griz don't do it, I could care less. I think it is an insult to the players who played very hard and accomplished a very tough feat, though. There are a lot of teams across the country that would love to have some championships, even if they are of the "co" variety. People (namely griz fans) are forgetting that when you only play 7 conference games, more often than not you are going to get a bunch of co-championships. You pretty much have to go undefeated to win it outright, and with the top-to-bottom level of talent in the Big Sky, that simply is not going to happen very often anymore.

As for the traffic, I agree with Cardiac. Stay after the game and tailgate, or run over to Spec's while the other fools wait around in traffic. BTW, I wouldn't say that traffic control after griz games is anything to brag about. I have gotten stuck coming home from studying right as basketball games got out, and waited around forever... and that is with only 4,000 fans or so. Add another 19K to the mix and I can't imagine it is much better. Unfortunately, neither stadium is set in a road system that is very conducive to traffic with thousands of vehicles. Grab a beer and burger and wait it out.

I really could care less about the "mountain lion" roar. Whatever. If it bothers griz fans so much, then by all means keep it and play it louder, though!

GO CATS GO!!!

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:23 pm

Another note: We have banners hanging in the fieldhouse for all of our sports teams' accomplishments, including national championship banners for football, basketball, and rodeo. What I am suggesting is separate banners/flags that will be solely for football that will be displayed in/on our football stadium.

GO CATS GO!!!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:34 pm

Yea! Get those stinking banners out of our fieldhouse!

raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by raincat » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:43 pm

Question..there used to be a Bobcat in a glass globe suspended from the ceiling in the fieldhouse forya (sp?). Is it still there? Also, did you know we used to have a live caged Bobcat on campus as a mascot? Also, somewhere in a jar in Lewis Hall is the pickled remains of Speed-E-Gator, winner of the national college alligator races, circa 1965. Not only did Speed-E win the race, but managed to eat somebody like the U of Mississippi gator in the process.

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:28 pm

I think you are missing the point! Its nice that you have these banners and maybe they will help with recruiting, certainly can't hurt. However, hanging them in the litter box is like putting new windshield wipers on a broken windshield... :D

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:53 pm

I've always thought there should be some mention of the NC's inside the stadium as well... maybe a smaller flagpole next to the American flag one or put something like (National Champions 1956 1976 1984) on the facade of the press box if there's anywhere it would fit.

As for the bobcat sound on the PA system, nobody cared the first 728 times bronco brought it up, and apparently the same can be said for the 729th. bronco, e-mail me the next time you come to Bozeman... I'll tell you where to park and you'll be on I-90 within 20 minutes of the end of the game. :)

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:33 pm

BozoGriz
Ever thought of changing you picture? It really is not the most flattering picture of you I would imagine ...or is it? Any way take note from Cat-the......... At least his picture shows off his absolutly fabulous smile. Just a thought.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:39 pm

I have a suggestion to make the kitty stadium better. Start with a few gallons of gasoline and a match. That stadium is horrible. Here's why:

1. Scoreboard, sucks. I've seen better ones at the high school level.
2. Seats, suck, especially in the end zones.
3. Sound system, sucks. Really loud on one side.
4. Underneath at the concessions, suck. Could the wind blow any harder through there?
5. The field, never actually touched it, but it doesn't look all that great from the stands or on TV.

The only part that is nice, is really nice; the sky boxes (at least they look really nice). But, you have to have $100 bills growing in your yard to afford those.

I'll admit, compared to many others in the 1-AA world, it's not that bad. Why not ask Mr. Turner for a big donation. You could call it Turner-Bobcats stadium and the games could be on TNT every Saturday.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

bronco
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bronco » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:50 pm

MSU01
Happy you've read all 700 plus of my posts. It took years of posting about your ESPN generic message board remember "why oh why with a school full of engineers don't you have a quality board." Well you have one now. Sometimes you have to say things over and over before the right person reads a post who can get it done. Please think of me when ever you hear the Mountain Lion.
I parked right next to the stadium surrounded by motor homes. Behind the end zone the players use to enter the field. Where is the best place to park? I'll be back to see the new cat mascot uniform. I've been talking about that for years too. Just trying to help.
Maybe in years to come there will be tail gates attended each year by egriz and cat nation supporters and we can put a face with a handle and make a few friendly wagers. We won't judge posters by who they support but by the quality of their posts. Who knows it might be possible. I had a dream.

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:53 pm

I too agree about displaying the championships from years past. However, I really think the reason they don't do something with the flag idea is the weather. The last 24 hours for instance. 75 degrees, windy gusts up to 30-40 mph, and then the wet heavy snow. Unfortunately, the way the stadium is set up, there wouldn't be much of them left. I don't know, maybe someone would be interested in just leaving them up during the season, and not all year round?

KSCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by KSCAT » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:17 pm

I know it is probably not a high priority right now, but I would love to see the south endzone filled in to form a horshoe. That would look awesome and creat a much more intimate environment. If I remember correctly from the original plans for renovation filling that side in was included in the final phase. As for the mascot, I've never liked the one we've had. The damn thing looks like an overgrown gremlin...Glad to hear it's being replaced.

Bobcat Born, Bobcat Bred, Gonna Be a Bobcat til' the day I'm Dead!!!!!!!!!!

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:30 pm

I wonder why they didn't continue with there original plan to form that horseshoe at the southend zone? Personally, that was a huge mistake. Its no wonder the grizz are always making that comment about the wind blowing throught the litterbox. Sad but true. On the mascot note, I am glad to hear they are getting a new uniform. My two boys are scared of the one we have. Finally the older one is better, but when that thing would start wondering around, he would jump in my lap and fear for his life.